Witsend: desperate for advice

Witsend81

Hi Sunnyside

I'm doing ok now, it's been a roller coaster ride. 

It took at least three months from the switch to feel relatively stable again.  Before then I'd still get terrible lows where I'd end up sobbing my heart out, feeling real despair.  I still get lows but they are not as intense.  The derealisation is gone, the world is looking more familiar.

I still get a tingling sensation in my arms and legs, bouts of insomnia, restlessness, jaw clenching and muscle twitches, especially in the legs.  Bouts of head fog where I find it very difficult to engage with people and problems with short term memory.

I'm sticking on 50mg sertraline for the foreseeable future, however, I am extremely concerned about what the drugs are doing long term, and equally terrified of that dark place I found myself if I try and reduce again.

I found what has helped me is pushing myself, within reason, to try and actively get better.  I have no doubt these tablets have long term adverse effects, but I'm doing everything in my power to try and limit that damage.

What sort of withdrawals are you experiencing?  It's a good sign they have lessened.

BW 

Wend

Citalopram 20mg for over ten years

Dropped to 10 mg summer 2018

Rapid taper of medication from 10mg to zero from January 2019 to beginning of April

Massive crash beginning of June 2019

Started back on 10mg citalopram 7 Jun

Saw doctor 7 June.  Upped dose to 20mg and prescribed diazepam 2mg for a week, no more than 4 a day.  

17 June - Saw doctor.  Switched to sertraline 50 mg once a day and promazine 25mg/5ml 1-2 5ml teaspoons up to four times a day (full dose not taken - 60mg a day instead)

4 July Reduced promazine to 55mg a day, 7 July 50mg, 9 July 45mg, 10 July 40 mg, 12 July 35mg, 14 July 30mg, 16 July 25mg, 18 July 20mg, 20 July 15mg, 22 July 10mg, 24 July 5mg, 26 July 0mg promazine 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Witsend81

• Sassenach

• Altostrata

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, thanks so much for replying, somehow I missed your reply!

Well, I must say, even though I'm sorry you suffered, I'm relieved that I'm not going mad and all this sounds normal.

I have mostly had awful anxiety on and off. More so than depression, in fact. I'll have a patch of good/relatively good days and then bam! Also, digestive upset.....altho I think I've been overdoing the magnesium. Also, flu like symptoms, temperature dysregulation.

I'm 10.5 weeks into the switch, so hopefully, things will calm down soon. Had a bit of a wave this week, but that's ending now, thankfully.

A rollercoaster indeed.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.