MissyE: tapering from venlafaxine/Effexor

MissyE

Hiya

I am brand new to the site and am struggling to stay focussed and positive as l taper off venlafaxine. I have been on various psych meds for over 10 years and realise they no longer work for me/make my life worse. 

I've recently had to quit my job of 10 years and find simply adulting, never mind parenting overwhelming.  My 2 little boys suffer because of my mental health and mood swings from over anxiousness to apathy, punctuated with inappropriate crying and irritation. I have no joy in my life.  I am terrified about the impact on my boys and husband.

Please will someone point me in the direction of success stories or share yours with me.  How do other families cope?

I'm frightened and lonely. I've never spoken with anyone who understands what I'm going through.

I'm on week 10 of 300mg taper 5-10% at 6-10 week intervals.  Current dose 262.5mg.

Namaste, MissyE

MissyE

2008 Dec-Feb 2009 GP diazipam; Dec-Jun 2009 fluoxetine. 2010 Jan citalopram approx 4 weeks, Jan- Aug fluox, Oct-Jun 2011 paroxetine; Aug - Dec venlafaxine 37.5mg - 75mg. 2012 Mar-Jul reinstate ven 150mg; Aug swap to fluox 40mg (preg) - Mar 2013  reinstate ven 150mg. 2015 Nov swap to fluox 40mg (preg) Dec suicidal reinstated ven 300mg

2018 Jan ven "pooped" buspirone added/stopped; pentagablin added; March pent stopped & ven taper - 0 June; August betablockers started/ stopped; September mirtazapine 15mg and diazepam 2mg started/stopped; October ven 300mg reinstated. 

2019 Jan psychiatrist added mirt 15mg (aiming for "California rocket fuel" therapeutic dose).  No more meds: gradual taper mirt Feb-April (taken for < 3 weeks).

Commenced ven taper 5-10% 6-10 weekly 2019 April - Nov: 225mg.  Tapering 8 weekly in alignment with menstrual cycle 2020 Jan 212.5mg; Mar 200mg; Jun 187.5mg hold

Oct all meds stopped sectioned under mental health act psychosis olanzapine 20mg PRN lorazepam

Dec 600mg lithium 15mg olanzapine

1-2g omega 3 & 400ug folic acid

2 puffs pulmicort inhaler.

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, MissE, and welcome to SA.  I'm glad you found your way here.  Yes, it is possible to taper off Venlafaxine/Effexor.  Here is a success story that shows it can be done:

Ladywingnut Successful withdrawal from effexor/venlafaxine ..

It's very good that you're tapering slowly.  We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks, so you're well within our guidelines.

This link is specifically about tapering Venlafaxine.

The symptoms you are experiencing are typical withdrawal symptoms.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

You are not alone in facing difficulties in parenting and family relationships during withdrawal.  You'll find many stories in our "Relationships and social life" thread in the topic page of this site (first page of the site).  Also see:

We highly recommend practicing non-drug coping skills to help deal with withdrawal during your taper.  Please take a look at the topics in the following link to see which appeal to you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can post updates, ask questions and connect with other members.  Again, I'm glad you fund your way here.  You'll find many sympathetic moderators and members.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MissyE: tapering from venlafaxine/Effexor

Thank you Gridley for your warm welcome and information.  I've never used a site like this before and am grateful to all the brave people who have shared their stories. 

Physical symptoms l have that l can't find on here is acne and boil type spots/rash that appear on my face: mainly forehead; chest, shoulders and back. I'm even more self conscious with it.  Also profuse sweating when l exercise.  Dripping from my face/head and extreme sensitivity to temperatures.  Any tips how to manage these? 

MissyE

2008 Dec-Feb 2009 GP diazipam; Dec-Jun 2009 fluoxetine. 2010 Jan citalopram approx 4 weeks, Jan- Aug fluox, Oct-Jun 2011 paroxetine; Aug - Dec venlafaxine 37.5mg - 75mg. 2012 Mar-Jul reinstate ven 150mg; Aug swap to fluox 40mg (preg) - Mar 2013  reinstate ven 150mg. 2015 Nov swap to fluox 40mg (preg) Dec suicidal reinstated ven 300mg

2018 Jan ven "pooped" buspirone added/stopped; pentagablin added; March pent stopped & ven taper - 0 June; August betablockers started/ stopped; September mirtazapine 15mg and diazepam 2mg started/stopped; October ven 300mg reinstated. 

2019 Jan psychiatrist added mirt 15mg (aiming for "California rocket fuel" therapeutic dose).  No more meds: gradual taper mirt Feb-April (taken for < 3 weeks).

Commenced ven taper 5-10% 6-10 weekly 2019 April - Nov: 225mg.  Tapering 8 weekly in alignment with menstrual cycle 2020 Jan 212.5mg; Mar 200mg; Jun 187.5mg hold

Oct all meds stopped sectioned under mental health act psychosis olanzapine 20mg PRN lorazepam

This too shall pass.

Correction l have been reading this site a little while but l haven't joined one like this (not haven't used a site like this l before).  I signed up to inner compass but it doesn't seem to work like this so l have had no contact from anyone on there.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Administrator

Hello, Missy.

It looks like you had a lot of drug changes from early 2018. What was going on?

Did you start 300mg venlafaxine in October 2018?

Are you taking any other drugs now? What times of day do you take your drugs? Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata

Thank you for your reply.

I started ven 2011 37.5mg Aug til December stopped 75mg.

Restarted ven Feb 2012 stepped up to 150mg; titrated to fluoxetine 40mg for pregnancy; titrated back to venlafaxine 150mg March 2014.

2015 titrated to fluoxetine for second pregnancy, suicidal ideation so titrated back to ven Jan stepping up to 300mg which l was on til 2018.

The changes with the other meds were because the venlafaxine no longer worked (numb, excess tiredness/sleeping, increasing anxiety) and my childhood trauma was triggered by work causing further anxiety. I had been off sick for a year so was desperate not to have further time off.  I ended up having to leave work anyway (10 year career) when my last tapering attempt caused me to become too ill.  I was removing 1 tablet per week (12 tablets in 150mg) which l now realise was too fast, but psych pharmacist didn't approve and convinced me to follow Nice guidance about halfway through, speeding the process up further.

I currently take 2 x 150mg capsules in the morning (1 with 3 tablets removed) 262.6mg; with one omega 3 (660mg eha + dpa) ashwagandha 300mg (which I'm phasing out), cetirizine (hayfever) and a multivitamin. At lunch l have my second omega 3.  I have about a week left on ashwagandha I feel no difference from it.

I have horrible morning anxiety on waking and have to force myself out of bed, but it isn't as bad as after my last failed taper.  My GP has spoken with at pharmacist at my request, so I'm soon moving to 150mg XR with 37.5mg IR in the morning and 75mg IR in the evening.  The move to IR is to access smaller doses. I know to only change one thing at once, so this will be the next change;(then perhaps omega 3, then magnesium.  I may also lose the multivitamin with your advice/support)

My other symptoms are acne type spots on my forehead, jaw, shoulders, chest and back; some like boils.  Painful/itchy at times. Overwhelm, inability to perform usual tasks, irritability, extreme negative thoughts, profuse sweating on exertion, hyper sensitivity to temperature changes, extreme emotional reactions.

This is a hard, lonely process (understatement) I have 2 little boys and a husband that need me. Any good advice gratefully received.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Other symptoms (not exhaustive) short term memory loss, dry mouth, loose stools, no appetite, but hungry when l eat and craving sugary foods, loss of hope, no joy, crying spells, feeling helpless....

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Hi MissyE, 

Welcome to SA. I’m so glad you found us. This is great site with wonderful people. The Adminstrators/Moderators especially are amazing.

Thanks for the update. I’m so sorry you are suffering. You have been through a lot. I hope you find peace <3

All of your symptoms sound like normal drug side effects and withdrawal effects. These symptoms do heal in time and self-care helps a lot to support this process.

There are many tips in the self-care section with threads for each symptom. 

Please be gentle with yourself, since this process can be rough. Maybe do things you enjoy that is healthy for you? Please keep us posted on your progress.

Wishing you the best of luck on your Tapering journey. Healing, Blessings, and Love <3 Take gentle care <3

Dec 2016: Prazosin 2.5mg x2 at noon and night, Nifidipine 30mg x1 morn, Diltiazem 200mg x1 morn. for hypertension.  Cinnerizine 24mg as needed only. Metformin and Sitagliptin for hyperglycaemia. Vitamin C.

My meds: May 4th 2017 Abilify 10mg. May 10th dropped to 2.5 mg due to side effects. Tapered during several months in 2017. Currently drug free. 2019: I am doing well now, even if not updating this thread as much unless needed, sorry. Focusing more on supporting others' threads. Also friendly warning: Please do not read this thread if not up to it as it can be a somewhat triggering/stressful read, thank you. Love, peace and Blessings to you all <3

Thank you.  I'm grateful for your kind words and understanding.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MissyE said:

I started taking Omega 3 (1000mg with 660mg epa + dpa) and have gradually worked up to 3 per day (3000mg with 1980mg epa + dpa) plus 400iu vitamin E.  I'm aiming to reach 3000mg epa + dpa.  I am following SA advice.  Thank you.

Initially l didn't feel anything, but now l notice feeling calmer and more hopeful since increasing my dose and added in vitamin E.  I still have a long, long way to go, but the morning terror and frozen dread has reduced to feeling anxious combined with a lack of motivation.  I'm also managing much better at keeping up with my other non-drug healing techniques.

I have now found some 750mg epa + dpa in 1000mg omega 3 capsules, which l aim to move over to.  I'm in the UK and use simply supplements online.  Unfortunately their vitamin E isn't natural so l get that elsewhere. 

Do you recommend spreading the capsules throughout the day or taking all at once?  Or is it personal tolerance?

I currently have one in the morning with my venlafaxine and vit E; one at lunch; and one at evening meal with my 2nd dose of ven.

Hope today is going ok. 

Love, peace, namaste

MissyE

I posted about Omega 3 on that feed yesterday, but am not sure whether l needed to post it here.

Anyway since then l woke up with the morning terror and dread that makes me freeze. I had a hard day yesterday but talked it through with my husband.  I haven't had this horrific symptom for a couple of weeks so I'm confused and upset.  Is it part of a wave?

Would changing the times of Omega 3 help eg taking them all at once rather than spacing out? I'm due to taper down 5% a week on Monday.  Please help me.

Edited by ChessieCat
added quote from omega 3 topic

MissyE

This too shall pass.

I realised l had forgotten to take my meds last night!!!! This is the first time l have realised exactly why l had the horrific morning cortisol spike.  I haven't forgotten my meds for a long time.  Weird that l forgot because I'm (trying hard not to be) obsessed, since l started this taper.

Thankfully I'm feeling much more stable again now. 

I simply took my usual morning dose and doubled the Omega 3.  

Query?

I have put questions on here a couple of times but they don't seem to have been answered.  Do I need to do something else for feedback.  I'm confused about the process and was lucky this morning l managed to work out what was wrong before l went further down the black hole.  

Thanks, Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, MissyE said:

I haven't had this horrific symptom for a couple of weeks so I'm confused and upset.  Is it part of a wave?

There are going to be ups and downs throughout the day and throughout the whole WD process.  

15 hours ago, MissyE said:

Would changing the times of Omega 3 help eg taking them all at once rather than spacing out? I'm due to taper down 5% a week on Monday.  Please help me.

I'd recommend spacing them throughout the day.  Take the vitamin E with your morning dose.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley, l will do. 

How much do you take?

How are you feeling today?

I'm feeling grateful that l found this site, that l am not the only one in withdrawal (although my GP seems to think l am) and to Caspar for providing the evidence l needed to get my GP on board with prescribing liquid when l need it.

Namaste.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Good morning campers. 

I am feeling excited today and more positive than l have for a while.  I had a late night though and have been awake since 5am snoozing on and off.

I have made the effort this week to do exercise every day and eat lots of fruit and veg. Also I'm due to taper in a week.  I got my 6 - 10 week idea from speaking to a lady at Bristol Tranquilisor Project.  (I taper 5% because l can't tolerate 10% suggested by both SA and BTP).  I phoned in desperation, l was really struggling then and needed to speak to someone who understands; she suggested adding low dose mirtazipine back in to help.  Any thoughts on this?

I'm dead against this; l even was then when l felt ****. 

Any thoughts?

Although I'm feeling better today l still aren't motivated to get up, get ready do housework etc... But l am looking forward to being with my little family. Often, I'm ashamed to admit I just can't be bothered with them and have no patience.  Being honest I'm not naturally patient, but they can really irritate me (especially my husband) and that makes me feel incredibly guilty.  They are brilliant.  My boys are 6 and 2 years 9 months and are full of fun and mischief.  My husband is a good man who loves me as I am and is also full of fun and mischief.  I feel so much love for all 3 of them. 

Today is a good enough day so far.  I know this is subject to change.  My husband has just woken up and I'm starting to feel irritated...I hope today is manageable for us all; universe, l would love a bit of joy and please help with my patience.

Love, peace, namaste

Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/5/2019 at 12:25 AM, MissyE said:

How much do you take?

How are you feeling today?

I take three Omega capsules throughout the day, which amounts to EPA 1,050mg and DHA 150mg.

I'm feeling just fair today, a combination of what I think is a sinus infection (which, like any illness, can ramp up WD symptoms), combined with getting down to a low dose of Lexapro (2.4mg from an original 20mg).  I'm going to hold until I'm well and can assess whether to hold longer or resume my taper.  Thanks for asking.

I'm glad you're having a good day.  Lack of motivation is very common in WD.

Regarding the Mirtazapine, we are a site for going off drugs, and we really can't make a recommendation about going on an additional drug.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

15 hours ago, Gridley said:

I take three Omega capsules throughout the day, which amounts to EPA 1,050mg and DHA 150mg.

So your ratio is 7:1.

I'm taking EPA:DHA ratio in mg 1320:880 in 4 capsules. 

3:2 Is that ratio ok?  (I just learned how to quote a bit of your text.  Feeling a bit proud.)

Glad yesterday was fair for you and you can identity where you are by listening to your body.  Yes l would hold too, till you're feeling stronger again.  You're doing great.  

My day turned out gorgeous.  I helped out on the coconut shy at the school fair.  My eldest son and l even won coconuts! I need to remember to enjoy this window as much as l can and keep going with my positive plan.

I don't want to add more drugs in either and am glad you reminded me of the SA ethos.  My CNS doesn't need any more of the crap.

Ok better go, I'm running a 10k race today.  Signed up last time l felt good.  I got this.

Peace, love, namaste, Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, MissyE said:

I'm taking EPA:DHA ratio in mg 1320:880 in 4 capsules. 

3:2 Is that ratio ok?  (I just learned how to quote a bit of your text.  Feeling a bit proud.)

I was proud of myself when I figured out how to how to quote text too.  Congratulations!  And congratulations on your run.

I don't really know about EPA:DHA ratios.  I was recommended the brand I take (OmegaBrite) twenty years ago and since it agrees with me, I've never changed.

Enjoy your window!

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MissyE,

I use Barlean's brand myself Missy.  And it's pretty close to what you've got. 

My EPA/DHA ratio is 360/280( per 2 capsules)  and I take 6 a day now.

I too, was concerned with the higher EPA ratio's being too much for me.  Too activating, perhaps.

I had another brand with a much higher ratio and ditched it, when I was in more acute discontinuation syndrome.  Hard to say what was what, at that time.  I was activated enough though.....so chose to tread more cautiously. 

I did read somewhere that sometimes the higher EPA could be too much for some(I still don't have the reference for that though).

I slowly worked on up to 2040 mg of Omega 3's per/day and that's where I stay at now.

Coconuts and races!  May the force continue to be with you.  It sounds like you are doing well.  Summertime in the UK as well as the USA now.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Good morning MMT & Gridley

Yes I'm loving my window.  It's so good to simply want to be alive and engaged with my family. 

Exercise is key for me.  I'm blessed my husband supported me back into running and l found a brilliant supportive gym with childcare.

Omega 3 is definitely helping too.  Thanks for your advice and your kindness, being pleased for my window.  May we all have many more windows than waves. 

I'm due to taper down to 250mg ven on Monday.  I'm going to keep my omega 3 as is until I'm used to the new ven dose then l may add in another. 

In my window's I have to be mindful not to overcommit, overspend, over share, overindulge.... I'm reigning myself in this time. 

Last time l went bonkers on Victoria Secret's Sport Sport online.  Insomnia: ordering in the wee small hours.  6 massive boxes.  Kept loads of things, but had to return even more, to USA from UK, dollars to pounds, very confusing and stressful; had to pay for insurance, post office didn't know how to process return...  I also arranged a huge night out with mummy friends and acquaintances. 

Enter wave Missy, she won't wear half the new clothes... "they showcase my hideous spots and mum body.  Who do I think l am? I'm not twenty any more, I've had 2 babies!"

Had to forced myself out on night out and another mum took over with logistics.  Lesson learned this time.  Got rid of the clothes that don't suit me, donation to charity and l may agree to a night out, organised by someone else, if l feel safe with them.  Breathe.

Love, peace, sparkles; namaste

Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Today I'm tapering down 5% to 250mg.  Feel ok so fingers crossed l stay that way. x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Shocker, l got effexor this time rather than vensir, so I have the beastly little beads. Wtf, they bounce everywhere!  I bought scales, but they only go to 0.09g (I got mixed up with g and mg when placing the online order) so I'm not managing to reduce the full 0.0125g.  It's certainly not an exact science.  I have a few 12.5mg mini tablets left so on alternating days l take 2 of them in the morning instead of the 37.5mg. 

Feel ok so far mood wise. Physically knackered, mouth ulcers,  boils and spots on face, jaw and neck, agitation, no patience.

Any more tips with managing the pesky beads?

Love, peace, sparkles; namaste Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, MissyE said:

I have a few 12.5mg mini tablets left so on alternating days l take 2 of them in the morning instead of the 37.5mg. 

If I'm understanding you correctly, on alternating days you're taking 25mg instead of 37.5mg.  It's important that you take the same dosage every day.  Alternating doses is destabilizing.  Your brain and central nervous system crave consistency.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks Gridley,

I didn't explain myself properly.

l either take 37.5mg plus approx 140mg (capsule with approx 10mg beads removed) = approx 177.5mg AM

or

25mg (2x12.5mg tablets) plus 150mg = 175mg AM

I continue to take 75mg each PM.

Well, l had my last mini tablets today so it will be the beads going forward til l get a med review.

Hope this makes more sense. 

You're right, l understand my poor brain needs consistency.  I struggle weighing them bloody beads though.  It's like they're alive and my scale isn't as accurate as l hoped.  I feel ok in myself so far.  Usually l get bad symptoms pretty quickly if I've done too much.  Fingers crossed. x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, MissyE said:

Hope this makes more sense. 

Thanks for clarifying, Missy.  I'm glad you're feeling ok.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 month later...

Hey you guys.  Want to check in.  

I'm in a window, so busy enjoying life as much as l can.  Dread of the next wave looms in the background.  

I haven't managed my taper to 250mg, because the pharmacy changed me from Vensir brand to Effexor.  Vensir has 12 mini tablets inside 159mg capsule; effexor has thousands of tiny bouncy beads.  Had to buy scales ... Persevered for 6 weeks: very challenging, stressful and inaccurate...

My GP clarified on my script l need Vensir going forward, so l will do my official 250mg taper this time. Started this morning.  Patience is a virtue.

I hope you're ok too.

It's bank holiday here in the UK and scorchio.  My husband is trying to fix our dodgy bathroom so I'm entertaining the sprites.  I've been doing this for the past 5 weeks: summer hols.  We're having fun, but I'm tired, ready to get back to my routine.

Love, peace, sparkles; namaste Lindsey.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

I'm in a wave and struggling with brain fog, feeling exhausted and not wanting to be bothered with life.  It's  been coming on over the past couple of weeks. 

I'm trying to remember it will pass and my brain is healing and rebuilding itself. I do care about life and can function as an adult even though it doesn't feel like it right now.

I need to be grateful for the lovely window I've just enjoyed.  

This too shall pass.

Peace, love, sparkles. Namaste.

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MissyE

I hope you have come through your wave and that you are  feeling better. How are you getting on with your taper of VENSIR? I am tapering the same meds in capsule firm of 12 beads each and getting to the point where I need smaller doses of more beads. If I read it correctly, you managed to get this off your doctor. 
Many thanks 😊 

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

Hey Nelly

Thank you for messaging.

Withdrawal can be a very lonely place; and although l wouldn't wish this on anyone, it's reassuring to remember I'm not the only one.

Painfully, sadly, overwhelmingly, frustratingly.... I'm still riding out the wave.  The uncontrollable crying started yesterday.  Luckily I saw my therapist today, but I'm feeling the brain damage, physically exhausted, mentally foggy, forcing myself to do simple things.  Trying not to fall down the rabbit hole of guilt and shame about my children and husband having to live with me like this, again.

I swapped back to vensir (12 mini tablets which it looks like you are on now) from effexor (hundreds of tiny beads: look like white hundreds and thousands on cakes) because I can't count them or weigh them accurately.  When l need to go less than the vensir allows my doc will prescribe liquid.  

There are people on here who seem to manage with the tiny effexor beads, so it might be worth searching for them for more info.

I hope this helps and that you are feeling OK.

Love, peace, sparkles; namaste

Missy

MissyE

This too shall pass.

Hi Missy - 

I just read through your whole thread and I relate to so much of what you are experiencing. I too have 2 young children and have been enduring months of waves and feeling horrid for what I have inflicted upon them.  Something that helped me tonight was writing a long letter to my husband explaining where I feel I am in the process, because I am so very bad at expressing myself at the moment (crying!). Just writing it down has helped, and I think I will make a practice of it for both his sanity and mine, as it helps me organize my thoughts, why I'm doing this, where I am, and that I will get better. Maybe it would help you too.

2001-2014  between 10-40mg Celexa, with 3 attempted tapers, 1 CT

2014-2015 added Wellbutrin 150-300 msg, started to taper Celexa

2014-2015 -continued to taper slowly to < 1 mg Celexa, BUT  increased alcohol use 

Jan 2016 - reinstated on 10 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin, eliminated alcohol, increased exercise, psychotherapy, improved diet

June 2017 - August 2018 - reintroduced alcohol (2-3 drinks / week), maintaining exercise & diet regimen

Sept 2018 - went from 10 to 9 mg Celexa, holding 300 mg Wellbutrin

.... (monthly taper sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb)

Feb 2019 - 3 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin; Feb 28 - 2.75 mgs Celex, 300 mg Wellbutrin; March 25, 2019 2.5 mgs Celexa, 300 mg. Wellbutrin

(continued taper)

October 2019 -completed Celexa taper, started Wellbutrin taper - 200mg Wellbutrin (faster pace because of stimulating effects of Wellbutrin)

Thank you m&m 

I'm sorry you're in a wave too.

I've been pondering my reply to you.  I'm exhausted today, but there's so much l want to say. I really pushed myself yesterday (in a good way) and this morning I've got to rest.  My husband is taking the boys out, but when he gets back he needs my help so I need to try and show up again. I know staying in bed too long makes me feel worse.

When you feel at your worst how do you manage the home?

How are you managing with your family being away? 

I had the same a couple of months ago and stayed home when my family went camping.  It was a horrible decision, but better than ruining their happy memories.  I spent time with my sister and her family, but felt ashamed.  I slept at my own house alone with my cat. 

So ashamed: telling myself it's not my fault.  Believing myself is another story.  How can I take control of my mind when it seems intent on destroying me?  I try acceptance, but my mind is disgusted that I've turned out this way.

The inner conflict rages on.  Even when l do something positive I still feel the same self loathing and shame.

This too shall pass.  Please universe.

Love, peace, namaste

Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MissyE 

Reading you talking about shame gave me some tears. I was so ashamed last September, I hided myself for a month.

But actually  : you are NOT the one who should blame herself with shame. 

Doctors, psychiatrists, pharma industry are the only ones who have To Feel ashamed.

Feeling ashamed would mean that you have a responsability by creating your symptoms or not doing enough To Feel better. It would mean that these symptoms that these symptoms are who you are.

But that is definitely not the case  : you are not these symptoms. They are created by the meds, but you, you are a strong woman fighting To keep getting To yourself. And you Will succeed eventually!

Best wishes to you!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you Erell

Love and peace to you x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

I'm wondering if someone can help me with how best to taper when l'm next stable.  I'll be decreasing 5% to 225mg venlafaxine from 237.5mg (137.5mg XR + 37.5mg IR AM and 75mg IR PM).  My GP suggests 150mg XR AM and 75mg IR PM.  I'm concerned this will hurt my CNS by increasing the XR again when ultimately I'll be moving to IR liquid.  Does someone have any other suggestions?

MissyE

This too shall pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling.

Anxiety, irritability, fatigue and overwhelm, suicidal ideation but no plans.

My six year old has just had a melt down because I'm too poorly to do the Halloween decorations.  He's six, he doesn't understand, just thinks I'm being mean.  

I won't be reducing further until l feel stable. 

This is horrendous.

Is there anything else l can do?

Updose?  Just continue to wait it out?

I've been like this for about 3 weeks.  I mixed up my dosing around this time and took the 75mg IR in the morning so swapped and had the 37.5mg in the evening.  Same total daily dose and time for the extended release, but opposite times for immediate release.

This happened again yesterday. 

I'm not sure if this makes symptoms worse but l know it won't help.

I've been on 237.5mg for 6 weeks tomorrow.

I take 3000mg Omega per day.  

I'm lonely, I'm frightened.

I feel like giving up

Missy x

MissyE

This too shall pass.

11 hours ago, MissyE said:

I'm still struggling.

Anxiety, irritability, fatigue and overwhelm, suicidal ideation but no plans.

My six year old has just had a melt down because I'm too poorly to do the Halloween decorations.  He's six, he doesn't understand, just thinks I'm being mean.  

I won't be reducing further until l feel stable. 

This is horrendous.

Is there anything else l can do?

Updose?  Just continue to wait it out?

I've been like this for about 3 weeks.  I mixed up my dosing around this time and took the 75mg IR in the morning so swapped and had the 37.5mg in the evening.  Same total daily dose and time for the extended release, but opposite times for immediate release.

This happened again yesterday. 

I'm not sure if this makes symptoms worse but l know it won't help.

I've been on 237.5mg for 6 weeks tomorrow.

I take 3000mg Omega per day.  

I'm lonely, I'm frightened.

I feel like giving up

Missy x

I read your post and thought sh..! 
It is just so horrible. I think we have to ride it out and hope that tomorrow will be a better day. I remind myself it will pass, but when, I don’t know. I hope it will pass for you soon and you feel better soon xx

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:27 PM, Nelly said:

I read your post and thought sh..! 
It is just so horrible. I think we have to ride it out and hope that tomorrow will be a better day. I remind myself it will pass, but when, I don’t know. I hope it will pass for you soon and you feel better soon xx

Thank you Nelly.  How are you feeling?  It's reassuring that you get it. 

No-one in my life gets it. 

My husband tries his best.  

I'm finding it hard to believe that I'll ever feel normal for me again.  I battle not to disolve into self pity, but my world has shrunk so much due to these horrendous chemicals.  It feels like the little confidence I had managed to build has evaporated; all I want to do is sleep.  From complex PTSD in childhood, to this living hell; l feel I'll never be able to move on from my past.  The intrusive thoughts and overwhelm.  Every little thing l do takes all my energy. 

Life is precious.  We deserve to thrive. 

I'll never understand how fellow humans (pharmaceutical, medical, psychiatry...) are allowing us to suffer, whatever to their reason.

It's like the emperor's new clothes, with the addition of our suffering.

Except many people continue to (choose to) believe the lie, instead of substantiating it's exposure and taking action.

MissyE

This too shall pass.