☼ Nsr99: stopped Cipralex / escitalopram 3.25 years ago. Doing much better, hoping to reach the finish line.

Nsr99

Hello

I live in Saudi Arabia. Male, mid 50s, married.

I had taken SSRI (Cipralex 25mg) for 6 years. I tapered it for 5 months, then stopped it completely on March 29, 2016.

Just to give you some background, I was living happily, never thought of taking AD drugs ever. However, one day, I was subjected to severe conditions that was beyond my control. This situation has caused me insomnia, because of the tremendous stress, and therefore, I started taking SSRI. The doctor, who prescribed it, was not so professional, because he wanted to give me any drug that would work for me, performing trial and error on me.

I know that AD drug is not a treatment, but rather a chemical stuff that would screw up brain chemicals to calm me down so that I can go to sleep, and also to improve my mood. I was very much concerned with the withdrawal symptoms, but the doctor reassured me that it would last only 2 to 3 weeks. I believed him, but I wish I did not. He did not provide me a true honest advice.

While taking the AD drugs, I developed some side effects: such as fever and PVC. Six years down the road, I noticed that I always want to go to sleep, even if I had just woken up in the morning and had my coffee. This has annoyed me and scared me, as I was afraid that this drug would cripple my life. At this point, I decided to quit and live my life free of AD drugs. The journey of WD suffering started on October 31, 2015. I tapered it for 5 months, and stopped it completely on March 29, 2016.

Here is a time line along with my WD suffering:

1-6 months: things were bad, but tolerable. I experienced difficulties falling asleep, with anxiety.

6 mo-1.5 years: Severe symptoms began. It was so severe that I was thinking of going back to AD. I took it for one day, but then regretted that I did, and felt so bad for going back to the drugs. I decided to fight and continue my journey no matter what. I am glad I did.

I do not know how I was able to cope with WD symptoms, but it has to do with my faith. Prayers, reading Quran, and reading positive comments that I used to write to myself.   

1.5 – 3.25 years: Incremental improvements. Now, I can enjoy coffee and tea, and do my hobbies. I am not 100% recovered. I still have nasal congestion and tinnitus both of which have improved slightly.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

October 31, 2015: Started tapering

March 29, 2016: 0 mg Cipralex 

2016: severe withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

Welcome, nsr.

Thank you for giving us that background. Do you recall your tapering method? What symptoms did you have in the first 6 months off escilatopram?

After that 6 months, how did your symptoms change? How was your sleep?

I am glad you found ways to calm your nervous system. Did you do a lot of meditating, in your faith?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Other than the nasal congestion and tinnitus would you say you are 100% back to normal? if not what symptoms do you still have? i am guessing if you do have other symptoms they are not bad? You where on the maximum dose for the whole 6 years? What other symptoms did you have over the 3 years in withdrawal? i am very interested to know everything because my situation is very similar. I was on meds for 6 years. Tapered for 8 months. Now med free for 2 years and 7 months. I recovered at least 50%. But i feeling like i will never be 100%. I am hoping to be 100% by the 4 year mark. My main symptoms are a constant hangover feeling that gets worse after exercise, extreme lethagy and exhaustion, anxiety, akathesia, insomnia, and skin senations like itching, burning, tingling, stringing. Did you have any of these syptoms? If so which ones. I was on Prozac for 6 years straight. With the addition of Effexor, Wellbutrin and Geodon for short times. Since i was on additional meds i would expect my recovery to take slightly longer than yours. I just hope not too much longer. Thanks for any information you can share.

Prozac january 2010 to  october 2016 dose started at 10mg and went up to 80mg

welbutrin october 2014 to october 2016 dose up to 400mg

effexor october 2015 to march 2016 150mg

geodon january 2016 to july 2016 80mg

i did a rapid taper off everything in 8 months time span from march 2016 to october 2016

drug free for 2 years and 7 months

• ChessieCat changed the title to Nsr99: stopped Cipralex / escitalopram 3.25 years ago. Doing much better, hoping to reach the finish line.
10 minutes ago, baquejohn said:

Other than the nasal congestion and tinnitus would you say you are 100% back to normal? if not what symptoms do you still have? i am guessing if you do have other symptoms they are not bad? You where on the maximum dose for the whole 6 years? What other symptoms did you have over the 3 years in withdrawal? i am very interested to know everything because my situation is very similar. I was on meds for 6 years. Tapered for 8 months. Now med free for 2 years and 7 months. I recovered at least 50%. But i feeling like i will never be 100%. I am hoping to be 100% by the 4 year mark. My main symptoms are a constant hangover feeling that gets worse after exercise, extreme lethagy and exhaustion, anxiety, akathesia, insomnia, and skin senations like itching, burning, tingling, stringing. Did you have any of these syptoms? If so which ones. I was on Prozac for 6 years straight. With the addition of Effexor, Wellbutrin and Geodon for short times. Since i was on additional meds i would expect my recovery to take slightly longer than yours. I just hope not too much longer. Thanks for any information you can share.

baquejohn,

Here are my answers to your questions:

As far as giving a percentage for my recovery, I would say I am in the range of 70%-80%. I am not 100% recovered yet. I am now 3.25 years into this awful journey. 

The symptoms I still have: nasal congestion, tinnitus, brain zap, and occasionally some anxiety. They are not too bad; I try to ignore them.  For the sleep, I get, on average, 4-5 sleep per night. Some nights (not that often), my anxiety gets triggered, and this would impact my sleep duration. I have always tried to take a nap in the afternoon, but not always successful. 

For Cipralex, I was not on max dose for the whole 6 years. It was only partial. I do not remember how long. 

The symptoms that I experienced throughout the 3 year period, beside the ones I mentioned above, had to do with extreme anxiety, depression, insomnia, feeling tense always, palpitations, electric chock in the head, lack of desire to do anything. My feeling system was screwed up, and strange. No emotions whatsoever. I had some itching on my legs but rarely.

I did not have the symptoms you mentioned above. I guess because I was not on additional meds like in your case.

Regarding the brain zap: it is electric shock or like an electric current on the lower part of my body, I feel like I am on a roller coaster. It is intermittent though.

Since you are 50% better, then it is a matter of time before you reach recovery. I know the pace is so slow, it is like a turtle trying to travel 100km journey.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

thank you for the quick reply. i am also only able to sleep for between 3 and 5 hours in a row most nights. then i wake up for a few hours and sometimes go back to sleep for a couple more hours. sleep is def messed up in ssri withdrawal. which is strange because i never had sleep issues or anxiety until i started taking them. everytime i would increase the dose this would happen and then i would level out. and now  in withdrawal i am getting the same sleep issues and anxiety. I never got a brain zap at all but i hear they are very common. I guess everybody is slightly different. also you where taking a different ssri than i was. . keep in touch and let me know how your recovery progresses

Prozac january 2010 to  october 2016 dose started at 10mg and went up to 80mg

welbutrin october 2014 to october 2016 dose up to 400mg

effexor october 2015 to march 2016 150mg

geodon january 2016 to july 2016 80mg

i did a rapid taper off everything in 8 months time span from march 2016 to october 2016

drug free for 2 years and 7 months

• 4 weeks later...

This is to register an episode that happened to me recently that made me uncomfortable. I would appreciate it if anybody has gone through a similar situation and can share his or her experience, or can afford some advice.

Around May 10, 2019, I was doing ok, I was in my 3.25-year mark in this awful journey, my sleep was ok, enjoying life and doing brisk walking every day. Nonetheless, there were some rare occasions where I had very short waves. I was happy that I was marching toward the recovery finish line.

I was not accustomed to taking my sleep during the day. I always make sure that I go to bed at night time only, specially while going through this WD.

However, up until that time (May 10, 2019), I was forced to switch my sleeping time from night to day for about 30 days. This has triggered my WD symptoms, and caused it to surface more and intensify, as I am not used to going to bed in the morning. My anxiety has elevated and this has caused me insomnia for most of the 30 days.

When the 30-day period was over, and I wanted to go back to my normal sleeping habit, I faced some difficulties. I struggled for the next 30 days to program myself to accept night as a sleeping time. I tried to relax and do various techniques to do the re-programming, but it was very gradual and tiring process, and I had to go through tough times. I noticed that I became depressed, not interested in doing things I used to do, even my brisk walking exercise I could not do. My thinking was foggy. No concentration. Vivid dreams resurfaced for some time, though not always. Tinnitus has increased. And body zap became more apparent.

Now, I am almost 1 month into this thing and I do not know how long it will last. It looks like that it is a wave. My sleep is Ok now has improved a bit, but not like before May 10, it is less.  This is strange. Maybe it needs more time before I can settle and go back to my normal life again as I used to (the big long window).

Anyway, this is what I am going through at present. 

Has anybody gone through such thing before? Does anybody know what is going on? Any help would be appreciated

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Was the thing which made you change your sleep pattern stressful?  It may be the stressful situation and/or a combination of both things which have caused the recent issues.

The good thing is that you have noticed improvement.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Nsr99 said:

Now, I am almost 1 month into this thing and I do not know how long it will last. It looks like that it is a wave. My sleep is Ok now has improved a bit, but not like before May 10, it is less.  This is strange. Maybe it needs more time before I can settle and go back to my normal life again as I used to (the big long window).

Yes, your body runs on a circadian clock, see What is the sleep cycle?

As you've probably experienced, sleep is very fragile after an adverse drug reaction. Your nervous system also got upset by the change in sleep schedule. You might find melatonin helpful to re-establish your sleep, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

Also see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 7/11/2019 at 1:36 AM, ChessieCat said:

Was the thing which made you change your sleep pattern stressful?  It may be the stressful situation and/or a combination of both things which have caused the recent issues.

The good thing is that you have noticed improvement.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Thank you ChessieCat for your feedback. To answer your question, no, the thing which made me change my sleep pattern was not stressful at all. 

Yes, you are right, I have seen lots of improvements, and I actually began enjoying life again. But this thing about changing my sleep pattern somehow agitated whatever is remaining in my system. I am looking at it positively, though. I believe it is squeezing my brain more and re-training it to accept out-of-the-ordinary situation. 

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

On 7/11/2019 at 2:46 AM, Altostrata said:

Yes, your body runs on a circadian clock, see What is the sleep cycle?

As you've probably experienced, sleep is very fragile after an adverse drug reaction. Your nervous system also got upset by the change in sleep schedule. You might find melatonin helpful to re-establish your sleep, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

Altostrata

Thank you very much for your support and help.

The WD symptom  that stands out most out of this recent problem is anxiety, which is affecting my sleep. Like you said, my nervous system got upset by the change in my sleep schedule. Anyway, I will wait and see.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• 3 weeks later...

Things have improved for me recently. I am doing much better now than 45 days ago.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• 1 month later...

Hi

7 days ago I hit a wave; I hope it will be very short. FYI, now I am at 3.5 year mark into WD journey. 

It seems that my nervous system needs more time to rebuild and heel. Main complaint is anxiety which has somehow affected my sleep. Last night, while at bed, I was like in a battle trying to fall asleep. I tried to relax with deep breaths and positive thoughts but not successful. But slept maybe 2 hours in the morning. Anxiety is triggered on stupid things, things that are natural on humans, for example on unconsciously imagining stories while trying to sleep, which is normal thing in humans. How to convince my brain that this is normal!!?

Lack of sleep is bothering me because I need some energy to do my daily activities.

Somehow I feel like I am not me, I am not like I used to prior to this wave. Emotions and my thinking pattern, and feeling of enjoyments of the surrounding are not there now!! Maybe it will improve. I need to give it time. We learned from this awful WD journey that patience and perseverance payoff tremendously. 

Any thoughts (specially from the experienced moderators)?

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

@nsr99 : is ur tinnitus continuous or it comes and goes  ?

Sept 28 : nov 10 amitriptyline 10 mg

no history of drugs in past 

symptoms 

mild grainy vision , visual snow 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

Hi shawny

my tinnitus is not continuous. If I am not feeling well, it is obvious and loud, but when I am doing fine, it is very low, undistracting. Right now, I am doing fine and enjoying my life, after going through some bad times lately. Good luck to you shawny.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• 4 months later...

@Nsr99 what is PVC?
Also, because you can enjoy coffee, tea and hobbies, do you feel like it is because your CNS is now stable when you are in a window? I miss coffee, tea and hobbies. Even in a window, I can't really ingest much media. Either I'm afraid it would make me too anxious, or I'm too sad that it connects with my old life of underground music/arts. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• 1 month later...

Armorall, here is what PVC means (from Google): 

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a fluttering or a skipped beat in your chest.

As for tea and coffee, there were times were I would not take em because of WD and the suffering I was going through. Now, I am enjoying it!!! 

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Nsr99, how are you doing?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Nsr99, how are you doing?

Hello Altostrata

Here is an update of my WD.

4.5 years AD free.

Overall

WD has been stable fairly, with major improvements. I would say I am in the 80-90% range recovery.

I am doing much better, improving slowly and hanging in there. I am enjoying life again.

I can now take my coffee and tea, and read and do other stuff. My emotions and feelings have improved. 

I am an engineer, and enjoy software programming, and this helps me a lot in overcoming WD.

A year or so ago, I felt so good I thought I reached the finish line, but it was a long window.

I misinterpreted it. My advice to others is not to rush things.

So, I am being careful not to announce victory unless I make sure I reach the finish line.

Insomnia:

Sleep is “very good”, with rare occasional sleep upsets. Throughout WD journey, insomnia symptom went from “bad” to “good” to “very good”.

I am hoping to jump to “Excellent” soon.

Brain Zap

I still have brain zaps (electric shock from top to bottom). It is not causing me any hindrances at all.

I am ignoring it completely. It is now less frequent, but still exists.

Tinnitus (Ringing in the left ear)

Tinnitus is much better. It is not causing my any issues in my life. I am tolerating it very well.

It intensifies occasionally, together with the brain zap, and stay for a while and subsides later to a lower level.

Depression

I suffered depression for a while, but it is over. It paralyzed me. I could not do things I used to do,

specially reading and writing. I am glad it is over.

Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA):

My FERRITIN is low. It is now 3.81 (Ref Range: 30-400 ng/mL). This explains my fatigue that I am having at present.

I am planning to see a consultant soon regarding my low iron, and see how it goes. I tried taking iron supplements,

but it was too sensitive to my WD. It aggravated some symptoms. I stopped it. I am looking into taking an IV iron to bring

level back to normal and hopefully get rid of fatigue. I am concerned with its tendency to aggravate my WD symptoms.

However, regardless of the results, I have to tolerate the consequences for the sake of fixing my energy level.

Rhinitis (inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane of the nose)

This is one of WD symptoms I am having.

Before AD, I did not have any problems or issues with my nose.

Slight improvement. I use Flixonase nasal spray from time to time to open up my nose, and enjoy my sleep. I stop it for a month or two, and restart again.

Numbness in Toes

No change in my toes’ numbness (both feet). At the tip of my toes, some kind of numbness. I do not know why I am having it!! Anybody with such symptom, please give us your advice.

That's all. Thank you.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• Administrator

Unusual you still have brain zaps. Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Do you do a lot of sitting? Could explain toe numbness -- get up and stretch more often, get circulation going in legs.

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• Mentor

I am very glad you are feeling better @Nsr99 i will never forget your support, Praying you reach full recovery soon inshaa Allah. :) 

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Unusual you still have brain zaps. Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Do you do a lot of sitting? Could explain toe numbness -- get up and stretch more often, get circulation going in legs.

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thank you @Altostrata for your kind words and support.

As for the supplements, I have been trying to avoid taking them for two reasons. First, I want my body to be independent of external stuff;

I want it to restore its full manufacturing capabilities, and second, I am afraid it might trigger my WD symptoms.

But, come to think of it, and since I am feeling much better, I should take your advice and try one at a time, and see how it goes.

As for the toe numbness, I am most of the time setting in front of my laptop enjoying work. I do stretching and walking on tread mills occasionally.

But, because of the low iron (fatigue), I stopped the walking temporarily.

I will one day announce my success story. IN SHA ALLAH.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

3 hours ago, Amira123 said:

I am very glad you are feeling better @Nsr99 i will never forget your support, Praying you reach full recovery soon inshaa Allah. :) 

@Amira123 

Thank you for your support.

Hang in there! Your are a strong woman. It is just a matter of time (patience). 

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

Update regarding my Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA)

Yesterday, I saw a consultant regarding my low iron. She immediately recommended iron iv, 1000 units this month,

and another 500 units next month. I took the iron iv and will see how it goes. She said improvements will happen in about a week.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

@Nsr99 how are you doing this week? 

2nd of April 2020 - 7th of April 2020 Sertraline 50 mg (adverse reaction).

2nd of August 2020 Omega 3 fish oil 1000mg (currently on).

Hi @cleopatra

Regarding the Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA), on day 7, after the iron IV (1000 units), I felt a little bit awkward, not much of a bad feeling, as those bad days have gone. But, something is 

happening in my thinking and my mood. Waiting for it to settle down. Not causing my any major problems, though!.

As for my fatigue, my energy level has improved slightly, but not much enough to take me to the thread mill. I want to exercise, but still feeling tired and have no interest.

The iron intake I took has affected my sleep somehow for 2 nights so far. I used to have deep sleep, but after day 7, I experienced very light sleep, not relaxing enough. 

I guess my body is starting to react with the increased level of iron. It may take a while before things settle down. I was told it may take a month.

Anyway, things are not bad. It is tolerable. I was afraid that it would bring back bad WD symptoms, such as depression, anxiety, etc. But, I am glad it didn't.

I will have to wait and see how it goes. Patience is the only solution!

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

Salam @Nsr99

You are incredibly brave to take this step even when uncertain and I am glad your depression hasn't returned and hope it never does. 

I also had an iron deficiency in the past and supplements helped me feel better in many ways. Praying that you see the benefits soon and not be negatively affected insha'Allah.

I am sending my love all the way to Saudi and hope it finds you and gives you strength.

16 minutes ago, cleopatra said:

Salam @Nsr99

You are incredibly brave to take this step even when uncertain and I am glad your depression hasn't returned and hope it never does. 

I also had an iron deficiency in the past and supplements helped me feel better in many ways. Praying that you see the benefits soon and not be negatively affected insha'Allah.

I am sending my love all the way to Saudi and hope it finds you and gives you strength.

Salam to you @cleopatra from Saudi

I am touched by your words. You have a sweet way of presenting your thoughts; beautifully attractive style.

I am impressed by the way you choose your words to make sound expressions.

I read almost all your posts. I feel for what you are going through. Your situation is simpler than others. Do not worry.

You will one day reach the end and enjoy your life again. Do not quit. Also, stay safe from Corona!

By the way, we received a beautiful wave of love with scent and fragrance coming from UK. It must have come from you. It made us stronger than ever. Thank you.

Take care, May Allah bless you.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

@Nsr99 I am totally flattered by your words thank you so much ❤️

I never thought my written expressions can speak to someone, but you proved me wrong, and for that I am grateful.

I am a believer and I know Allah will protect us and make our small and big problems slowly fade away, so we can resume life normally stronger than ever before. 

I pray you stay safe in the land that brought me joy as a child. Saudi deserves all the love ❤️

You will be in my prayers.

• Administrator

Please do consider fish oil and magnesium. People find fish oil in particular can help brain zaps.

Please do let us know how you're doing.

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please do consider fish oil and magnesium. People find fish oil in particular can help brain zaps.

Please do let us know how you're doing.

@Altostrata

Thank you for your help and support.

I am waiting for things to settle down after taking iron IV on August 16. However, I am glad to say that today and yesterday things are getting much better. Clearer thinking, not foggy like before. Also I am enjoying life.

If I decide to take fish oil (liquid), how much should I start with? what do you recommend?

The same thing with magnesium? I have 100mg tablets and 50mg tablets. should I start with 50mg first and see how it goes? or should I take 100mg?

What do you think?

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• Administrator

Please read the links I gave you.

• 6 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 12:40 AM, Altostrata said:

Please read the links I gave you.

@Altostrata

Hello

Thank you @Altostrata for your support

I am now 5 years into WD journey. Recovered some, but not fully recovered. The most apparent symptom is the brain zap.

I tried (fish oil + Vitamin E 400mg) for 3 months. It did not help. Somehow it agitated (slightly) some WD symptoms, such as fatigue and brain zap. Most importantly, brain zap has not stopped, instead its frequency has increased. For this reason, I stopped taking the combination on March 10 to see how things work out. Now, it is almost 17 days since I took my last dose and the brain zap is still persistent on and off. 

What do you think is happening? Any idea?

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• Administrator

@Nsr99, it is unusual for someone to have brain zaps for so long. What do these feel like?

Are you better from the iron deficiency? Have you had any tests for vitamin B12 and folate blood plasma levels?

Did you try magnesium without the fish oil?

On 3/30/2021 at 8:26 AM, Altostrata said:

@Nsr99, it is unusual for someone to have brain zaps for so long. What do these feel like?

@Altostrata

Thank you for your reply.

What do these feel like?

It feels like electric shock traversing through my left body. Its intensity fluctuates from time to time. Sometimes it is less intense than other.

I noticed that brain zap frequency increased after using fish oil and Vit E. So, I decided to stop it to see how it goes. But, it still comes and goes.

My overall condition has improved. I am able to function and do things. but brain zap still exists, not all the time. But from time to time.

Are you better from the iron deficiency?

Yes I am better. Now, I can do brisk walking on treadmill. No fatigue.

Have you had any tests for vitamin B12 and folate blood plasma levels?

No. I have not. I will check on my B12 and let you know. 

Please elaborate on folate blood plasma.

Yes. I have tried magnesium but did not help. It agitated my WD symptoms slightly but could not tolerate. It stopped me from other functions. So, I stopped it.

Hope to hear from you. Thank you again for your time and hel.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

Just now, Nsr99 said:

Thank you again for your time and hel.

Thank you again for your time and help.

2010-2016 Cipralex 25mg

• Administrator

You're welcome. Vitamin B12 and folate are 2 B vitamins. Low levels of either or both can lead to neurological symptoms.

Do you get brain zaps in your head? Or electrical feelings down your side? You may have a pinched nerve or something. The latter sounds like sciatica. It is not related to withdrawal syndrome.