Peking2: antipsychotic dependence

Peking2

• Administrator

What is your symptom pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peking2

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• RichT

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What is your symptom pattern?

It is like this

1 anxiety which I feel is due to cortisol

2 during anxiety sometimes I get frustrated thinking gets foggy this ends peace and kind of pleasure

3 nerves/muscles in my head get a little less  tense

4 this process repeats itself 

5 over time anxiety, frustration, low mood have lessened 

6 this will conclude itself as anxiety gradually becomes non existent then I shall be stable

Improvement is really slow though I'm very hopeful it will end one day but don't know when. 

I used to have aches and pains in my body now they're gone totally

Risperidone for four years not higher than 3 mg

Olanzapine for some months

Quetiapine at maximum 300 mg XR and Aripiprazole 20 mg at maximum for two years

Vortioxetine, Sertraline, Citalopram hBR, Escitalopram

April 26 Mirtazapine 15 mg

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Peking2 said:

First I want to thank you & all those who created this forum without it I would have suffered much more. 
I've been on 50 mg Sertraline and still I'm with windows and waves. Waves are often terrible. It is all moving very slowly. I cannot see it ending. If I raise the dose by 12.5 mg or 25 mg, which I think I'll be able to tolerate, do you think it could speed up my recovery? 

Peking, we've been through this before. I need to know your daily symptom pattern over 24 hours in this format:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

You will need to post this for several days at least.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

11 am wake up anxiety low mood

12 pm Anxiety better after eating

2 pm begin to feel anxiety low mood demotivated irritated

3 pm food lifts mood

4 pm anxiety now replaced by pleasure

4:15 pm struggle with frustration feeling low

5:00 pm I feel happy enjoy songs food going out

6:00 pm nerves/muscles in the head hurt

6:30 pm anxiety starts again but I can make it better after moving getting busy

8:00 pm anxiety is worse I become low    depressed 

9:00 pm anxiety relieved feel pleasure a relaxing effect

9:10 pm frustration being irritable aggressive demotivated

10:00 pm feel happier enjoy TV internet

11:00 pm muscles/nerves in the head hurt

11:15 pm anxiety low mood depressed

12:00 am to bed after Sertraline 50 mg

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Peking, we've been through this before. I need to know your daily symptom pattern over 24 hours in this format:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

You will need to post this for several days at least.

Above is almost exactly my routine everyday

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Peking2 said:

6:30 pm anxiety starts again but I can make it better after moving getting busy

You need to get out during the day for gentle exercise and to enjoy what you can, take your mind off your symptoms.

Which of those symptoms are "terrible"? Do any particular thoughts cause the anxiety?

Your symptoms appear to be following The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  It may take a while for any drug-related symptoms to settle down.

I have been experiencing suicidal ideation since coming off abilify and strange unsettling feelings where I feel unstable. I have been made to feel incapable of trusting myself and have an unsettling feeling that I am capable of doing harm. That s because I was brainwashed so many years ago into doubting my own sanity.

Medication history:

2002-2004 olanzapine, 2.5

2003-2004- 10 olanzapine,

~2005-2007 quetiapine, 300mg

2006- zopiclone, 2 weeks, 2007 - 2013= abilify,

2013-2016- tapering abilify :blink:  

3 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

I have been experiencing suicidal ideation since coming off abilify and strange unsettling feelings where I feel unstable. I have been made to feel incapable of trusting myself and have an unsettling feeling that I am capable of doing harm. That s because I was brainwashed so many years ago into doubting my own sanity.

I will advise you to start Sertraline 50 mg it works very well for many things. It worked for me where I had no hope and continuous suffering. Recently I've seen my mother and an aunt being on different antidepressants fluxoetine, duloxetine the results weren't so well once they jumped to Sertraline they immediately felt a lot better. My mother couldn't take any stress. My aunt was in mental anguish she's been able to survive and get going. I was on antipsychotics getting off them was the best decision though it was initially difficult for me. They are very heavy handed. They effect many things many of which aren't understood so well by psychiatry.

Antipsychotics main impact is on the reward/pleasure centres of the brain which regulates dopamine. Dopamine imbalances cause a lot of mental illnesses and use of antipsychotics for too long can cause them to become imbalanced in such a way that your symptoms mimic mental illness. You've been taking them for many years you must decide not to go back on them come what may and allow your nervous system to restore itself to it's original factory settings

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

Thank you peking2. I understand yours trying to help.but I'm not going to start sertraline or an antidepressant. I've heard too many awful things about it.

Medication history:

2002-2004 olanzapine, 2.5

2003-2004- 10 olanzapine,

~2005-2007 quetiapine, 300mg

2006- zopiclone, 2 weeks, 2007 - 2013= abilify,

2013-2016- tapering abilify :blink:  

5 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

Thank you peking2. I understand yours trying to help.but I'm not going to start sertraline or an antidepressant. I've heard too many awful things about it.

Alright but try to reach out to any of the doctors recommended by this site. I gave you the link

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

@Peking2, please do not recommend drugs to @kiki2015 or anyone else on this site, it may not be good advice for them.

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@Peking2, please do not recommend drugs to @kiki2015 or anyone else on this site, it may not be good advice for them.

I'm so sorry I have acknowledged the warning and wont advise anyone again

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

@Altostrata @brassmonkeyI'm in the windows and waves as you know. Recently I began to go to gym I did cardio and body building exercises the workout was intense. I think since my nervous system is sensitised it reacted to the stress. If I continue with treadmill will it be fine since it is less stressful than bodybuilding ones? 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

Many of our members have found that intense exercise will make their symptoms worse, and can even trigger bad waves if they have been feeling good.  Cardio and bodybuilding are probably pushing too hard and could cause problems.  I would stick to mild yoga and leisurely walks as they are relaxing and tax the body less.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

I found stationary bike to be helpful. Light cardio might be good. Treadmill might be okay, you'll have to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

@brassmonkey @Altostrata I have improved much it required quite a lot of patience to get there. I’m troubled with anxiety, low mood, poor tolerance to stress the rest are gone these are left to some extent. Are there any tips and techniques to cope and make my recovery smoother?

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

Good to hear, Peking. Since you're on a healing path, I'd continue to take care of yourself -- eat good food, get good sleep and exercise, avoid stress -- and let your nervous system continue its slow repair.

See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

• 5 weeks later...

I have improved a lot my nervous system is no longer sensitised. Will updosing on Sertaline speed up my recovery. Im with windows and waves. I take 50 mg Sertraline want to make it 75 mg

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

1 hour ago, Peking2 said:

I have improved a lot my nervous system is no longer sensitised. Will updosing on Sertaline speed up my recovery. Im with windows and waves. I take 50 mg Sertraline want to make it 75 mg

Hi Peking, I'm sure a moderator will be along to advise you. Personally, as you're recovering, I wouldn't updose. 'More drug' does not equate to faster recovery, in fact, it could very well destabilise you and set your recovery back. If you look at my signature, you'll see I've tried that several times, all to no avail.

Your best bet is holding and concentrating on the things Alto recommended.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:01 AM, Altostrata said:

Good to hear, Peking. Since you're on a healing path, I'd continue to take care of yourself -- eat good food, get good sleep and exercise, avoid stress -- and let your nervous system continue its slow repair.

See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• Administrator

If something is working, why change it?

Unlikely an increase in sertraline would accelerate recovery. Plus, you're going in reverse if you want to go off sertraline.

What is your current daily symptom pattern?

11 am waking up anxiety head-body muscles contract

12 pm tingling in the muscles throughout my body a pleasureful feeling

3 pm finally pleasureful feeling ends

4 pm tense muscles relax, take Nuberol Forte combination of Paracetamol 350 mg & Orphenadrine Citrate 50 mg

6 pm anxiety head - body muscles contract 

* sometimes I sleep deeply during this time especially in waves

8 pm anxiety ends self massage to relax tense muscles

post 10 pm  feel good mood energetic

12 am Setraline 50 mg & Nuberol Forte bed zzz

This muscles cycle is troubling. I have waited this long and will wait longer for 100%. I really want to come off Sertraline as soon my recovery completes. I want to get rid of this chapter forever  it has caused me tremendous suffering. 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

What is your sleep schedule?

Information about orphenadrine. When did you start Nuberol Forte? Why do you take it at 4 p.m. and 12 a.m.? How do you feel after taking it at 4 p.m.? How has it affected the "muscles cycle"? What is the "muscles cycle"?

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic. You may have to add Paracetamol and Orphenadrine if it doesn't recognize Nuberol Forte.

51 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What is your sleep schedule?

Information about orphenadrine. When did you start Nuberol Forte? Why do you take it at 4 p.m. and 12 a.m.? How do you feel after taking it at 4 p.m.? How has it affected the "muscles cycle"? What is the "muscles cycle"?

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic. You may have to add Paracetamol and Orphenadrine if it doesn't recognize Nuberol Forte.

Recently during waves my sleep schedule is very irregular in the last two windows I slept deeply about 16 hours a day it was difficult to wake up and avoid falling asleep shortly afterwards.

In taking Nuberol Forte I take it once before going to bed and few hours after waking up. It's not exactly 4 pm or 12 am but likely around this time. 

I started Nuberol Forte yesterday. I won't be taking it more than five days. 

The muscles cycle is I 

Step 1. I get anxiety during which muscles in the entire body contract in the head, legs and even ears.
Step 2. This anxiety subsides then the muscles tingle and release.

This process then repeats itself both steps again again again. Muscle tension is closely related with my recovery.  It is a measure of how much I have recovered and  how much is  to recover. This process slowly leads to  improvement in the muscle tension overtime.  Gradually all symptoms  are becoming less until they shall fade away and one day disappear. 
I also suffer from derealization it seems the world around me is unreal and dreamy I can't feel it.
https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=11-2744,1757-4707,2057-0

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

Please try to keep to a regular sleep cycle. This helps your nervous system get back on track.

I can't tell anything other than you're taking a muscle relaxant twice a day. If you continue to take it regularly, you may become physiologically dependent on it.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Please try to keep to a regular sleep cycle. This helps your nervous system get back on track.

I can't tell anything other than you're taking a muscle relaxant twice a day. If you continue to take it regularly, you may become physiologically dependent on it.

I can tell a full recovery will happen soon. How much time should I wait before beginning to taper. 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

I have no idea. You've added a drug, you need to see how it affects you. If you continue it, you will need to taper it.

As this is a site for going off drugs, generally our members are working on taking fewer drugs rather than more. When members add drugs, they should talk to their prescribing doctors about those drugs. We don't fill in for doctors on that.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I have no idea. You've added a drug, you need to see how it affects you. If you continue it, you will need to taper it.

As this is a site for going off drugs, generally our members are working on taking fewer drugs rather than more. When members add drugs, they should talk to their prescribing doctors about those drugs. We don't fill in for doctors on that.

I've been prescribed to use Nuberol Forte on as need basis. Sometimes it's just too difficult and I pop in a tablet. It's never regular just occasionally. 

I was asking about Sertraline. How long should I wait before beginning taper should I give myself some rest after I reach peace or taper right away after windows and waves end. 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator
On 1/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, Altostrata said:

I can't give you an answer about the sertraline, you've added another factor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 3:30 AM, Altostrata said:

I can't give you an answer about the sertraline, you've added another factor.

I have improved considerably. No longer do I lose my self control. It has been more than 20 days since I lost control of myself. I can handle stress better my mood is not low all the time. The hell has passed. 

My muscles are better they're still tense though. I feel more connected to the world. One thing troubles me frequently which is persistent anxiety all day all of the time. I really don't know how to make it better.

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

Please read our earlier discussions of your symptoms in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, Altostrata said:

Please read our earlier discussions of your symptoms in this topic.

I feel very well nowadays like almost normal. You can't tell if I have any problem at all. I'm at 50 mg Sertraline one thing is coming to haunt me. There's an excess serotonin in my body. I sweat excessively. My stomach temperature is really high. It will increase in some days time. How could I manage it without adjusting the dosage? 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Please note, this is a site for going off drugs. You are now taking a more extensive drug cocktail prescribed by your doctors. We counsel people in tapering, it's not our job to refine your drug cocktail. It is your doctors' responsibility to address adverse effects from your drug cocktail.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Please note, this is a site for going off drugs. You are now taking a more extensive drug cocktail prescribed by your doctors. We counsel people in tapering, it's not our job to refine your drug cocktail. It is your doctors' responsibility to address adverse effects from your drug cocktail.

No I never took anything else for two days around 5 January I took Nuberol Forte never after that. I am taking nothing else at the moment other than 50 mg Sertraline. I never use Nuberol Forte consistently. So only 50 mg Sertraline nothing else. If doctors were any good I wouldn't have preferred this forum over their advise. 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

I know from previous experience that it's going to get worse pretty quickly. The doctors will say reduce the dose which I can't for obvious reasons. 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Peking2 said:

My stomach temperature is really high. It will increase in some days time. How could I manage it without adjusting the dosage? 

Why do you think this will increase?

43 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why do you think this will increase?

I might be wrong but that's what I fear. I've had such feelings in the past years and I think they tend to get worse. I'm not sure 

July 14 Sertraline 50 mg

No other changes