BenzoNSteroids: steroid and Restoril / temazepam - tapering help

BenzoNSteroids

Looking for advice, or support from others with like experiences. We are helping a friend. Here is what we know of her history:

Past history of lyme disease (Believed to be resolved years ago... neurologist says friend may still have it, but I personally don't believe the symptoms commonly diagnosed as lyme disease are actually lyme disease).
More recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (about a year or so ago).
December 2018 – Began steroids, and then doctor prescribed restoril to balance steroid effects.
Beginning of July, 2019 – Friend wants to taper off both restoril and steroid. Doctor (DPC) began a 5mg taper starting a few days ago (dose was 20mg, so would now be 15mg). Says steroid must be tapered first, and 5mg was the smallest amount that could be tapered. After beginning, friend saw her neurologist who said she shouldn't have began tapering, but should have tapered. A few months ago, the neurologist had offered friend antidepressants, but friend refused saying she was not depressed. 

She had tried to taper off steroids before, but experienced vision problems and trouble walking. Could this be prevented, or decreased, by tapering more slowly?

Does anyone have advice for tapering steroids and restoril? Does anyone have experience with these neurological symptoms, or the effects of steroids and tapering them?

• ChessieCat changed the title to BenzoNSteroids: steroid and Restoril / temazepam - tapering help
  • Moderator Emeritus

H BenzoNSteroids and welcome to SA,

It's very kind of you to want to assist your friend.

However, SA finds it very difficult to work with people through a third party.  It is best for SA to work directly with the person concerned.

Please tell your friend about SA and get them to join and we will be happy to assist her.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, BenzoN.

We can help with tapering Restoril (temazepam) but we don't address steroids. Tapering any drug follows the same principle of gradual reduction Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

As Chessie said, it's very hard for us to help taper a benzo through a friend, if your friend could join, it would be better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I sent our friend this website. She is following the doctor's advice on how to taper, but I believe he is tapering 25% for the steroids first, and I have a feeling that is too fast, and that the doctor will taper the restoril too fast also, but my friend says the steroids can't be tapered any slower because of how the doses are. I can't seem to find any information regarding tapering and steroids and how they would affect one another during tapering, so I was just hoping someone on here might have been on steroids with they tapered of a benzo, or vice versa, and may be able to share their experience with how it affected them.