SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

acos: alternative way of tapering dose instead of liquid form

acos

Hi, I would like to know why making a liquid form instead of just tapering with a milligrams balance and a cutter ? is it faster, isn't it ?

I just cut off a small piece from the tablet (in my case a mirtazapine soltab) with a cutter then I weigh it in the milligrams balance.

Maybe it's not so accurate like with a liquid form but if you are precise in cutting the tablet you can do it.

For example my mirtazapine soltab (30mg) weighs 300 milligrams so for a reduction of 10% I just substract 30 milligrams from the tablet with a cutter. So why a liquid form is better ? maybe for the reason that goin down in a smaller doses it becomes harder to cut 10% or are there other reasons ?

thanks.

Started on Mirtazapine on 2017 for only sleep problems.

Since 2017 I successfully tapered 3,4 times and I've been drug free for some year, but In 2023 year had to reinstated the drug,

currently at 15mg, I would like to taper again soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, tacos, and welcome to SA.

Both methods are fine.  It's a matter of individual choice.Some people find the liquid method more comfortable and easier, others prefer using a scale.  At the very small doses a liquid is likely easier.  

Some people don't react well when they switch to liquid and have to go back to pill form

Here's a link on using a scale.

Is your scale accurate?  I've been using the AWS Gemini-20 scale for my Lexapro taper and I've been happy with it.  It's available on Amazon.com (don't know if you have Amazon in Italy).

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 
  • Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to acos: alternative way of tapering dose instead of liquid form

Hi, thanks for your answer, yes I think my scale is accurate, moreover I use to calibrate it sometimes, anyway I think I will use the liquid form on the next taper but here in Italy there isn't Ora Plus, I tried to search on the net in Italy a suspension vehicle like ora plus but couldn't find it. Can I also use just normal water like bought natural water ? I heard with normal water there could be settling problems  of the drugs and the duration of it, no more than 4 days in the refrigerator, isn't it ? 

Since 2017 I successfully tapered 3,4 times and I've been drug free for some year, but In 2023 year had to reinstated the drug,

• Administrator

Normal water will work, we have many people tapering mirtazapine like that. Please use search in the Introductions forum for "mirtazapine" or "Remeron" and you will see the other taperers.

Please read Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 years later...
Mirtazapine hypersensitivity

Hi, I was able in the past to make a quick updose for only one day when needed, with minimal wd coming back to the lower dose,
Now, having been in and out of mirt over the years I have become hypersensitive, and yesterday I made a quick updose from 15mg to 30mg and I had severe wd coming back to 15mg,
burning headache, bad sleep,maybe I changed too much times the doses in the past month trying to taper, what to do ? my regular dose would be 15mg, should I try to hold this dose even if I have moderate wd and wait for them to pass, I don't want to updose to 22.5mg or 30mg and keep on that dose. Did anybody else experience this type of hypersensibilization ?
Edited by manymoretodays
merged 2nd intro to 1st, title added

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi acos.  This is your main topic to post in.  Your Introduction.

6 hours ago, acos said:
Now, having been in and out of mirt over the years I have become hypersensitive, and yesterday I made a quick updose from 15mg to 30mg and I had severe wd coming back to 15mg,
burning headache, bad sleep,maybe I changed too much times the doses in the past month trying to taper, what to do ? my regular dose would be 15mg, should I try to hold this dose even if I have moderate wd and wait for them to pass,

I'm not entirely clear on what you have been doing.  Up to 30 mg one day and down to 15 mg the next, and then symptoms?

That's not really tapering at all.  And yes, it can leave your nervous system in chaos.

I'd stick with one dose, if 15 mg was your usual dosage, stay on it.  Take it the same time, each day, same dose.

See how that goes, if symptoms level off after a week to 10 days.

Please review:

The rule of 3KI's, simple, slow, and stable

so, no big abrupt changes again please.......your system will thank you

It's similar to skipping doses too, what you've been doing, so stop......as it might take even longer for your system now to recover

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Why taper by 10% or less

Update soon.  Right here in your Introduction.  Let us know how you are doing. Check in before you begin tapering again, and ask questions.

Update your signature too, with the year-instead of current, month spelled out, and any dates of recent changes.

AccountSettings/signature/edits-updates

Best.  Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks you for your answer, yes now I'm stick with 15mg every day, I will try tapering maybe in 15 days, I hope I will be able to taper again by cutting with a scale as liquid form was problematic for me, I think the more you go in and out and more years pass using this drug the more difficult it become to taper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

for my fifth time taper I used cutting and a weigh scale as I did in the past, but this time symptoms has been stronger so I tried liquid taper,
as I switched to liquid taper at the same dose without drop I had withdrawal symptoms, bad sleep as the liquid form dose seemed to be lighter and weak, I tried for 2 nights,
then I reverted back to solid dose and I interrupted the taper.

Why does liquid form seem weak or lighter dose ? I heard from other users that liquid transition can cause problems and sympthoms. I used half orodispersible tablet (15mg) and 7.5 water and 7.5 marple syrup, someone said not to cut tablet and use a whole 30mg tablet to make liquid, normally when I don't taper I use half tablet (15mg) without problem,
has anyone had the same problem with liquid transition ? is it better to go with solid dose and cutting with a scale as I already did successfully in the past, although symptoms actually seem to be stronger ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 2 months later...

hey @acoshow is your taper going?

Mirtazapine 7.5mg feb, 2013 - 12 may 2013 - cold turkey

Temazepam 20mg daily feb, 2013 - dec 2014- succes full taper

temazepam 10 mg aug - okt 2017 kindled unkowningly, poly drugged with diazepam 5mg and 7.5mg mirtazapine

diazepam 5mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper

mirtazapine 7.5 mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper, no noticeable WD symptoms during and after taper

taper regime:

7.5 - 2 mg: 0.1 mg dry cut daily

2 - 0 mg: 0.1 mg liquid cut weekly

mirtazapine 7.5mg 2020 - current. Unknowingly where kindling with a liquid solution that was expiring before it shell life (pharmacy grade)