amygdala2015

amygdala2015

Hi All,  I started tapering 4 months ago after 23 years use of Zoloft and Ativan.  I was originally prescribed for depression/anxiety from post-partum depression.   But that year turned into many years as doctors then, as now, do not have an exit plan.  I didn't know at the time being on Psych meds might be a life sentence.  

I guess life, with it's intensity of being a single mom, working, etc etc. I was always scared to stop taking the meds.  When I brought it up and I did many times, the feedback from the Psychiatrists was basically, "proceed at your own risk".   That sufficiently scared me as I could not afford to have an experience like I did that got me on the Psych meds.   So, I stayed.

I have been weaning for 4 months.  I choose to start with Zoloft and then tackle Ativan.   I started with 125, went to 100, then to 75.  I realize now that I am going too fast, so I will now slow down to 10 percent every month to six weeks.   

Thank you,

75 Zoloft, down from 125

1.0 mg Ativan daily

• 2/2019 - 125 Zoloft, 1.5 mg Ativan
  • 6/2019 - 75 Zoloft 1.0 Ativan
  • 1995 to current -  Zoloft and Ativan
  • ChessieCat changed the title to amygdala2015
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi amygdala and welcome to SA,

I'm pleased to see that you have been tapering your Zoloft, even if you have been going a bit faster than SA's suggested taper rate.  However, you may find that you have been okay with the larger decreases because of the higher dose that you have been on.  This might help you to understand this:  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

If you had tapered at 10% of current dose with 4 week holds (which allows your brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug) it would have taken 5 months to get to about 75mg:

125  >  112.5  >  101.25  >  91.125  >  82.0125  >  73.81125

You might be experiencing some withdrawal symptoms which you haven't attributed to withdrawal.  See:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Because you have gone a bit faster than SA's taper rate, it would be a good idea to do a longer hold on your current dose and allow your brain a chance to do any catching up that it might need to do.  It is better to hold for longer now and set yourself up with a stable foundation before you start tapering again.  My suggestion would be to hold for another 2 months before reducing again.

Please see WDnormal here:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi All,  I started tapering 4 months ago after 23 years use of Zoloft and Ativan.  I was originally prescribed for depression/anxiety from post-partum depression.   But that year turned into many years as doctors then, as now, do not have an exit plan.  I didn't know at the time being on Psych meds might be a life sentence.  

I guess life, with it's intensity of being a single mom, working, etc etc. I was always scared to stop taking the meds.  When I brought it up and I did many times, the feedback from the Psychiatrists was basically, "proceed at your own risk".   That sufficiently scared me as I could not afford to have an experience like I did that got me on the Psych meds.   So, I stayed.

I have been weaning for 4 months.  I choose to start with Zoloft and then tackle Ativan.   I started with 150, went to 125, then to 100 to 75.  I realize now that I am going too fast, so I will now slow down to 10 percent every month to six weeks.   

Update: 6/25/2019   When I started the weaning process 6 months ago I started weaning my Benzo. (Ativan). It was going ok. For 23 years I would typically take 1.5mg at bedtime for the same length of time as I have been on the Zoloft. (23 years) The wean for Ativan was going ok. At the time I was on 150 of Zoloft and lowered to 125 at the same time (6 months ago). Clearly I did not have any idea of slow tapering but NOW I DO. Anyway, my original trauma is from Post-Partum depression and INSOMNIA. The insomnia brought me to my knees and was my biggest challenge and over the years turned into PTSD. I switched to deciding to taper SSRI first; I don't have any really good explanation; I just did. Maybe something I read...I don't know. Anyway, my taper was 150, to 125, to 100 to currently 75 over 6 months. Thought I was going to skate through this, but my insomnia was getting worse and worse and then this last weekend I got hit with an anxiety/dread reaction that has not let up. Last night I overdid it with the Ativan (2.0) mg and I am hung over. I feel like I want to start over and stay steady on Zoloft and try to work on the PTSD over sleep. I can handle brain zaps, grumpy, aches/pains but lack of sleep will emotionally kill me. So here is the main question. If I want to change my mind and stabilize on Zoloft for another year or two while I deal with Ativan and trauma, how do I get back on a "right dose". I spent most of the 23 years on around 100 mg.

Thank you,

75 Zoloft, down from 150

1.0 mg Ativan daily

• 2/2019 - 125 Zoloft, 1.5 mg Ativan
  • 6/2019 - 75 Zoloft 1.0 Ativan
  • 1995 to current -  Zoloft and Ativan
  • Moderator Emeritus

2 Introduction topics merged.

17 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see my response to your first post.