Haleybeans: tingling sensation / paresthesia

Haleybeans

Hello, guys! My name is Haley, and since I quit taking the SSRI Sertraline, I have been experiencing a tingling/burning/pins and needles/somewhat electric sensation that takes place in my thighs and genital area. It has been the most persistent/hard to deal with symptom I have experienced, and I want to know if any of you have experienced as well, and if you have gotten over it yourselves. Thank you so much for the feedback!

Took Sertraline May 13 and May 14, 2019. Have experienced tingling/burning on thighs/genital area ever since. Also have occasional headaches. Paranoid that the tingling will get worse/cause numbness of areas.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Haleybeans, welcome to SA.  I've moved your post to Introductions as all members here need an introduction topic about their own situation.

To help us understand your situation, please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and allows us see your situation easily without having to read your topic from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

I've moved your other post to our paresthesia topic here:  Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations aka Neuropathy.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Haleybeans: tingling sensation / paresthesia

Hello.

I did have this stinging both in my appendix and in my genital area. I don’t know if it resolved itself but I took some good gutbacteria and colostrum. I think that helped. Because now I don’t have that any more, but I did have if for about a year. 

Now I have a bunch of other issues hehe. 

2007  paroxetine 10 mg
2016 aug  paroxetine taper down to sep/oct 2016.

2017 July reinstate paroxetine 

2017 aug taper down paroxetine again.

Hydroxyzine 25 mg when needed, like one every other week.

Did your other issues that developed form from antidepressant withdrawal or other things?

Took Sertraline May 13 and May 14, 2019. Have experienced tingling/burning on thighs/genital area ever since. Also have occasional headaches. Paranoid that the tingling will get worse/cause numbness of areas.

• Administrator

Welcome, Haley.

When did you go off sertraline? How did you go off? We need to know more about your history.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Haley, 

Welcome to SA from me too. I’m sorry about the symptoms you are getting. Withdrawals can cause so many varied symptoms.

Could you please answer Alto’s questions and also fill in your drug signature. Thanks so much💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

7 hours ago, Haleybeans said:

Did your other issues that developed form from antidepressant withdrawal or other things?

Oh yes i did have all issues from withdrawal. 

The first thing was I felt so stressed out an shaky. Couldn’t handle any noises or lights. Bad heartpalpitations and electric shock in the brain. 

I still am very sensitive, but better. Very agora fobic.

Hot flushes, and those i still have. 

I also had flu in the beginning with throatpain for a half year. And then this came back from time to time. But much better. I also have had sever burning mouth. That is also much better but not gone. Still very dry mouth. 

I somtetimes felt out of my own body, like I was asleep but still awake.

and also very angry and depressed. Much anxiety, mostly in the morning. This is also better but not gone. 

Now my big issue is my bloated cramping always hurting and burning stomach, colon and burping. And lower back pain. Bladder issues. And the anxiety of always having pain.

Probably forgot a lot of the issues. 

Much of the issues is much better. But I’m not healed yet. Don’t wish this torture on anyone. I hope that you’re not suffering to much. 

Keep fighting! 

Every now and then I feel very strongly to start SSRI again, but we have to be strong! 

2007  paroxetine 10 mg
2016 aug  paroxetine taper down to sep/oct 2016.

2017 July reinstate paroxetine 

2017 aug taper down paroxetine again.

Hydroxyzine 25 mg when needed, like one every other week.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for me to update my signature, but I think I updated it. To all who replied, can you view it now? And does it help you with all you need to know?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for creating a signature.  It looks like you took only two doses of sertraline, is this correct?  What was the dose?  Are you taking any other drugs or have you taken any other drugs in the past?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

I only took two doses of Sertraline at 25 mg., and I’m not taking any other drugs right now. That’s why I’m so confused this effect is lasting. Is that not normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

And you don't have previous history with antidepressants or other psych drugs?  Did you stop taking the sertraline because of the bad reaction?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

It was the first antidepressant/drug I have ever been prescribed, and I quit because I had so many negative side effects right off the bat.

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like an adverse reaction to sertraline.  What other symptoms did you have?  Did any other symptoms persist or only the paresthesia and headaches?

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Some people's systems just don't handle certain drugs - metabolism seems to be a very individual thing.  You were wise to stop taking it straight away.  I think it's very likely that you will also have a high risk of reacting badly to other SSRIs as well.  You might want to look into non-drug methods of treating whatever condition you were taking the sertraline for. 

Unfortunately there is no quick fix, it just takes time for your body to recover.  Some people recover quite quickly, while others can take a long time - there's no way to predict.  It's a good idea to be very kind and gentle to your system to help it along.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

When I started taking Sertraline, I had insomnia, racing heartbeat, hands going numb at night, sweating, decreased appetite, stomach aches after eating food, headaches, and paresthesia in my hands/arms/thighs/shins/face/genital area. Now most of the symptoms have went away except for the headaches and paresthesia in my thighs/genital area. Is it possible the effects could be permanent?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Haley,

Please see this topic:  But I only took it for a Week

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you very much, Songbird and ChessieCat! I really appreciate you guys’ kind feedback, I was afraid I’d post my fears and have them ignored or lost in other posts. I’m also learning how to work this website, but is there any way I can get in touch with people who also had adverse reactions from taking an SSRI for a week and recovered from it? I think it would help a lot to hear from someone who had a similar situation.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I’m sorry to keep coming back to this topic because of concern, but I have to ask: Can paresthesia of the genitals cause decreased feeling or inability to experience orgasm in the long run? Or will it just be an annoying sensation for a while?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, Haley. Decreased sensation in the genitals and post-SSRI Sexual Disorder (PSSD) tends to go away over time.

How are you feeling now? How has your symptom pattern changed since you last posted?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello again, Alto. I’ve been off Sertraline for four months now, and for about three months my worst symptoms were paresthesia of my thighs and genitals and increased anxiety/bouts of depression. I even thought things were beginning to look up. Then this Saturday, right about at the four month mark, it felt like a good bit of my sensation in my clitoris went away. Sometimes it just feels like an electric burning sensation down there. It has been causing me overwhelming anxiety, as I am in a long term relationship and I now have much anxiety about engaging in sexual activity with my partner. I know things could be much worse, but once this started happening I started worrying myself sick, and I find it difficult to get out of bed these days. I just wanted to ask, is there a generalized time frame when things start looking up? Or is it really true that some people do not recover from this? I’m just very afraid that this symptom is beginning to occur after only taking 50 mg. of Sertraline in two 25 mg. doses in two days. I didn’t think that would be enough medication to mess me up so much, especially permanently. But thank you so much for coming back to answer my questions, Alto. It means so much to me during this time.

• 1 month later...

Is there anybody I can talk to on this website about fears and symptoms of adverse reactions? I don’t think I am posting things right because I never get any replies, just silence. I get very, very scared, and just wish there was someone to talk to for reassurance that things may end up okay in the future.

• Administrator

@Haleybeans -- there are so many drugs and so many adverse reactions, which are you worried about?

How are you feeling now?

Hey Alto,

Now I’m experiencing some sleep problems, I can’t really sleep more than 4 hours in a row. But as for the symptoms that remain I still have paresthesia, burning in my breast/genital area, and perhaps some of the worst anxiety I have experienced since I first got off the drug. Perhaps that’s what has been amplifying my other symptoms, but it always makes me fear that my existing symptoms will worsen or new ones will appear. Is it even possible that these symptoms will worsen and new ones will appear, or with recovery is it usually just a slow incline of your body getting better? Everything’s just been so scary, and I’m sorry I keep coming back to post with questions. I really wish I had more wisdom to share with others myself.

• Administrator

How has your sleep pattern changed in the last month?

While you had an adverse reaction to sertraline and are not experiencing withdrawal per se, we've seen some people have the same types of symptoms of nervous system upset. These tend to change and mutate in The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You might be able to help your sleep along, see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Thank you very much of the links, Alto! But as far as sleep, for some reason my body can’t stick to a regulated schedule. Some nights I sleep, then wake up at noon, then 10 A.M., then 2:30 P.M., and I usually fall asleep around 7:00 A.M. to 8:00ish. And I was wondering if I may ask, have any of the members on here mentioned of suffering from mercury poisoning? I’ve been dealing with that for years, which I know can also be taxing on the brain. I wondered if other members handled such a thing as well as recovering from antidepressants at the same time.

• Administrator

What makes you think you have mercury poisoning?

You might need to regularize your sleep cycle by sticking to a schedule, maybe use an alarm clock to get up at the same time each morning.

I had mercury poisoning confirmed through some tests, and I’m getting ready to start chelation, but I’m not sure if my body is too weak to handle that right now. Have you seen people desk with that on here?

• Administrator

How did you get exposed to mercury?

Generally, we advise against purging or detoxification procedures, they are stressful on the body and often unnecessary Liver detox, gallbladder flush, internal cleansing, enemas, fasting, & other detoxification methods

I was exposed to mercury thanks to cracking amalgam fillings. Do you advise against them permanently? Or just while healing from antidepressants?

• Administrator

Were the fillings replaced with non-mercury fillings?

It is unlikely that the mercury which may or may not be in your body is causing your drug-related symptoms. I would hold off on mercury detox until your drug-related symptoms go away.

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate all the knowledge you continue to share!

I’m so sorry to come back so soon again Alto, but I must ask: does PSSD get worse with time? Or does it seem that way because I obsess over it getting worse?

• Administrator

Obsessing over can make it feel worse.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

I take magnesium already, so I’ll try fish oil! Do you recommend a certain amount of mg? And also, is it less likely that it’s getting worse, then?