IceLynne Overcomer

One day in the summer of 2007 I was experiencing depression and didn't know why and so I talked to my boss who I felt was my friend and she suggested that I see a doctor and so I made an appointment with a GP. My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin and so I took it and immediately I had a severe negative reaction and could not get my tongue off the roof of my mouth - it was stuck there and I couldn't talk, eat or drink. It was a horrible experience and so I stopped taking it and went back to my doctor.

She said that antidepressant drugs are made up of two components; one for depression and one for anxiety and each brand is made up of each differently. She wanted to try different brands until we found the right one and since I was completely clueless about drugs I took her advice and tried a different one but I not into taking pills and so I stopped taking them within two weeks.

I few months later I was in a car accident and lost my job because of it and so my depression got worse and I went to see another doctor and she put me on Clonazepam. That was the start of the end of my life as I had known it...it's hard to even think about what I went through next.

I had also been seen by a doctor for my thyroid and was taking Synthroid and something for high cholesterol which was dispensed as if it was all totally safe. So I was taking three medications and I started experiencing pain all over my body - in every joint as if I had developed arthritis suddenly. I became intolerant to touch, sound and light. And then my world fell apart completely and I couldn't do anything - I cried all the time, I couldn't eat right, I was in so much pain that no one could touch my skin or even hug me. We had to move because I could no longer climb the stairs to our apartment. The new place had mold and it made me violently ill and so we had to move again.

I had been seeing quit a few doctors to try and diagnose what was wrong with me and they said I had Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I ended up on 13 different medications from Benzo's to heavy duty pain killers and muscle relaxers. This all happened to a perfectly healthy 45 year old with in a 3 year period of time.

I was bed bound and had to have help moving and so my husband became my caretaker. I tried to take my life because it was unbearable and it all started out with an antidepressant and a benzo. When my dad gave me a tablet I was finally able to go on the internet from my bed and I started learning about these drugs and the pharmaceutical industry in general and how drugs make it on the market. I was so sad to learn but at the same time grateful so that I could eventually overcome all of the drugs I was taking and get my life back. I never had a disease of any kind, I was having reactions to medication the whole time and I was extremely toxic.

I found through hundreds of hours of research that most of our problems we experience are due to toxins in our body and brain - it's really quite that simple. When you get rid of the toxic build up you heal - it's really quite that simple. The hard part is getting off these drugs and to get toxins out of our lives for good. Over a four year period I learned and then detoxed my life and tapered off of drugs, it's been a little over one year since I last took a pharmaceutical drug and even though I have permanent damage, I'm back to what I consider "normal". I use all natural cures and having been through such a battle I no longer am effected by life the same way and no longer experience depression or anxiety. I see myself as an overcomer who can over come anything now! 

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IceLynne,

And welcome.

And oh, I wish it was all that simple.  Sometimes, finding the answers we need, to heal can be so very helpful.  So, kudos!!!

On 6/26/2019 at 4:09 AM, IceLynne said:

She said that antidepressant drugs are made up of two components; one for depression and one for anxiety and each brand is made up of each differently.

I'm not sure that this completely explains the pharmacological actions of AD's(antidepressants), or that they, AD's, directly address the myriad of causes, that might cause mood shifts or fears.  Situational, physical, spiritual are some of the realms that I had to look into, as far as what might be going on.  With my own healing and recovery from psychiatry.   Oh, and social too.  I think that often plays a role. 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:09 AM, IceLynne said:

I found through hundreds of hours of research that most of our problems we experience are due to toxins in our body and brain - it's really quite that simple. When you get rid of the toxic build up you heal - it's really quite that simple. The hard part is getting off these drugs and to get toxins out of our lives for good. Over a four year period I learned and then detoxed my life and tapered off of drugs, it's been a little over one year since I last took a pharmaceutical drug and even though I have permanent damage, I'm back to what I consider "normal". I use all natural cures and having been through such a battle I no longer am effected by life the same way and no longer experience depression or anxiety. I see myself as an overcomer who can over come anything now! 

Hmmm.  You're welcome to share a bit more, if you'd like to.  And yes, the hard part is getting off these drugs.  How did you taper your drugs or come off them?

Would you be willing to do a signature for us?  This is the portion that is below each members posts, unfortunately it is not viewable if using a phone device.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

The toxin part is interesting.  And I like how you refer to "detoxing your life".  Could you elaborate on that part a bit for us.  We, Surviving Antidepressants, don't endorse traditional detoxes.  I would be interested in what you learned.

What symptoms did you attribute to withdrawal, if any?

What do you now feel are your permanent damages?

When you say "all natural cures" what do you mean?

Welcome again and congratulations on your success and getting medication/drug free.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by ChessieCat
added some spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Altostrata changed the title to IceLynne Overcomer
  • Administrator

Thanks for posting this, @IceLynne

To understand what you've been through, it would help to have your drug history attached to your posts. Please follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Really awful I’m glad your feeling so much better, what permanent damage were you left with? 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Polly drugged in 2019 adverse reaction , celexa , cymbalta, mirtazapeine , quitiapeiene , valium for one day , amitryptaline all given over 4/5 months . 

recovered april 2020 

setback by a steroid 2021