☼ Cocopuffz17: paroxetine free, but not trouble free

Cocopuffz17

• Mentor

Success story:  cocopuffz-11-years-on-paroxetine-its-nothing-but-a-bad-memory-now-i-am-now-free

Hello, I am new here. I really appreciate everyone posting their stories, struggles or successes. It helps me understands what I have been through WAY better. I was on paroxetine(20 mg) for 11 years for social anxiety. I was told by my psychiatrist that it would be "a vitamin I take for the rest of my life". Little did I know it would rob me off all my emotions in life. Over the last 11 years I have had a decent amount of "we dont know why this happens" health conditions. I now look back and blame alot of it on this drug. Since coming off of this drug my health conditions have improved, but some of the withdrawal symptoms kick my butt here and there. Reading the success stories, I know these will get better with time. So I am keeping my nutrition dialed in and my attitude positive. Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
added success story link

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Cocopuffz17, and welcome to to SA.  It's very good to hear that your health has improved since coming off the drug.  Thank you for completing your drug signature.  It sounds like you have a very good attitude, and that's a big help.  

What withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing?

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

We encourage using non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

Hey Gridley, during the three month taper I experienced a massive amount of symptoms. Anxiety, depression, dizziness, massive fatigue, flu-like symptoms, headaches, poor coordination, nausea, nightmares, insomnia, tinnitus and vertigo. The closer I got to 0mg the worse the symptoms got, but they only lasted for 14 days after a reduction in dose. Then I felt good again, which is why I went to the next drop.

For 2-3 months I was great after being completely off. But I let my nutrition slide and that's when I the most recents ones came back. Fatigue, I was working out fine and playing sports and now I just need rest. Now any physical exertion gives really bad tension headaches. Logical order of doing things, it's tough to structure things properly.  I've read numerous posts of people struggling with trying to concentrate and structure sentences and all that. I know exactly how that feels. 

I changed my lifestyle and the foods I eat about 200 days ago. This is what gave me the courage to come off this drug. I never felt better in my life at that time and knew now is the time. Omega 3 I have been on for over 200 days and Magnesium for about 20 days. I take vitamin d, probiotic, B12, and numerous other supplements. 

Have you read anything on these drugs acting like a PPI? I talked to a friend of mine who prescribes these exact same SSRI's to animals as they are vets and if they come off too quickly they all vomit. Its the change in the stomach acid content and the body not being able to handle it. I had the exact same thing happen to me, but I used tums to neutralize it and didn't have any issues other than the one day after coming off it. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cocopuffz17 - paroxetine free, but not trouble free
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi CocoaPuffz and welcome from me too,

You might find some helpful information in this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor
58 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi CocoaPuffz and welcome from me too,

You might find some helpful information in this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Hey, thanks! I’ll take a read through it. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cocopuffz17: paroxetine free, but not trouble free
On 7/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Cocopuffz17 said:

Hey Gridley, during the three month taper I experienced a massive amount of symptoms. Anxiety, depression, dizziness, massive fatigue, flu-like symptoms, headaches, poor coordination, nausea, nightmares, insomnia, tinnitus and vertigo. The closer I got to 0mg the worse the symptoms got, but they only lasted for 14 days after a reduction in dose. Then I felt good again, which is why I went to the next drop.

For 2-3 months I was great after being completely off. But I let my nutrition slide and that's when I the most recents ones came back. Fatigue, I was working out fine and playing sports and now I just need rest. Now any physical exertion gives really bad tension headaches. Logical order of doing things, it's tough to structure things properly.  I've read numerous posts of people struggling with trying to concentrate and structure sentences and all that. I know exactly how that feels. 

I changed my lifestyle and the foods I eat about 200 days ago. This is what gave me the courage to come off this drug. I never felt better in my life at that time and knew now is the time. Omega 3 I have been on for over 200 days and Magnesium for about 20 days. I take vitamin d, probiotic, B12, and numerous other supplements. 

Have you read anything on these drugs acting like a PPI? I talked to a friend of mine who prescribes these exact same SSRI's to animals as they are vets and if they come off too quickly they all vomit. Its the change in the stomach acid content and the body not being able to handle it. I had the exact same thing happen to me, but I used tums to neutralize it and didn't have any issues other than the one day after coming off it. 

Hello,

You said that you used tums to neutralize  it, what is that? 

Best regards 🌸

2007  paroxetine 10 mg
2016 aug  paroxetine taper down to sep/oct 2016.

2017 July reinstate paroxetine 

2017 aug taper down paroxetine again.

Hydroxyzine 25 mg when needed, like one every other week.

• Moderator Emeritus

@badtummy

You can always do site search and/or a google search to see if you can find information:

stomach-acidtums

https://www.tums.com/

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Anxiety, massive fatigue, headaches, tinnitus and anhedonia today sucked. But I know it will get better. 

• Mentor

Tinnitus, Fatigue. I cant seem to find the link with the papers I can print off and keep paper copies of my daily symptoms.If anyone knows where it is, that would be appreciated, ty!

• Moderator Emeritus

• Mentor
13 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Tyvm! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Last two days have been rough. Massive fatigue, vertigo, tinnitus, headaches and weird vision(like when you look at the sun and your vision has bright spots for a min or two, but I am not looking at the sun) 

I’m curious as I am too far off to reinstate fully and go on the 10% method. What are other options if these withdrawals continue? Thank you for any advice. ☺️😁

• Moderator Emeritus
41 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

I’m curious as I am too far off to reinstate fully and go on the 10% method. What are other options if these withdrawals continue?

You're six months out, and reinstatement this far out carries risks of making things worse.   If you did want to take the chance, it wouldn't be to reinstate fully to your previous 20mg, which would be way too much and could cause significant problems, but instead a tiny dose, from 0.5mg to 1mg at most.  It might work, but, again, there are risks.  If you decide to do it, please let us know before you do.

We recommend using non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal.  Take a look at the following link and see which techniques  you think might be beneficial to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Other recommendations: Make sure you eat a nutritious diet.  Avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol.  Kelly Brogan, M.D., an anti-drug psychiatrist, has reported good results with her patients with a diet high in red meat.  Try to get 30 minutes a day gentle exercise, preferably in nature.  Most of us have sleep issues.  Do what you can to get as good a night's sleep as possible.  These links contain some tips:

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Trick and tips to fall asleep faster

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

It's important to remain calm and not to panic.  As best you can, maintain a positive attitude.  You will get through this, and believing this can go a long way toward making the process go more smoothly.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Last three days, intense anxiety/massive fatigue. I did eat crappy on the weekend and consumed alcohol.(I know I shouldn’t, but I did) now this just reaffirms me to avoid it all together. 

Thanks for all the info Gridley.

• Mentor

Topic title: nutrition and the gut microbiome

So I have tried 3-4 times to come off of Paxil in the past, I was unsuccessful. I believe the only reason I have a fighting chance this time is because I made massive changes to my gut microbiome before deciding to come off. I felt the best I ever felt in my life, my sleep was on point, I was waking up early(which I never did in my life) and my energy was through the roof. 

Now I am over 6 months off Paxil, having withdrawals, but they are manageable or caused by mistakes of things I know not to(drinking). 

My question is is what is your opinion in the gut microbiome. As over 90% of the bodies serotonin is created in the gut. I have reduced my inflammation in my body by huge amounts. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Two posts which I found mentioning microbiomes:

probiotics-and-gut-health

prebiotics

• Mentor
39 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Two posts which I found mentioning microbiomes:

probiotics-and-gut-health

prebiotics

Yes, I know this. I was inquiring on what others thought of nutrition being the main reasoning that they needed ADs in the first place. 

• Moderator Emeritus

• Mentor

• Mentor

Well today was super not fun :(. Extreme fatigue, headaches, tinnitus, vertigo. Doing alright now. Keep on keeping on!

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed 😃

• Mentor

Welcome. Is it hot where you are? That also makes it worse for me 

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, ShiningLight said:

Welcome. Is it hot where you are? That also makes it worse for me 

Hey, no I actually find myself happier the sunnier it is. But today is an average day 20 C out. I did have a decaf coffee last night, but I've been drinking coffee for the past 3-5 months and have not noticed any relation between the wd and coffee. 

• Mentor

Ok. I hope you feel better. It's no fun!

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• Mentor
41 minutes ago, ShiningLight said:

Ok. I hope you feel better. It's no fun!

Thanks, me as well! 

• Mentor

Fatigue(manageable),Tinnitus. muscle spasms, slight anxiety,metallic taste in mouth, headache and an odd eye sensation (seeing lightning bolts sometimes(similar to when you look at the sun))

• Mentor

Has anyone experienced accelerated skin shedding while coming off ADs? I noticed when I was in my wean my arms would shed like a snake. For about 5-6 months it went back to normal. Now every couple of weeks I shed skin like I had a sunburn, but have not had a sunburn. Thoughts? 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Now every couple of weeks I shed skin like I had a sunburn, but have not had a sunburn. Thoughts? 

Skin issues are very common in withdrawal.  It can present as hives, acne, dry skin and many other forms.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

11 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Has anyone experienced accelerated skin shedding while coming off ADs? I noticed when I was in my wean my arms would shed like a snake. For about 5-6 months it went back to normal. Now every couple of weeks I shed skin like I had a sunburn, but have not had a sunburn. Thoughts? 

That doesn't sound normal to me. I could be wrong though. Dry skin makes sense but skin actually peeling off seems unusual.

• Mentor
30 minutes ago, KMart95 said:

That doesn't sound normal to me. I could be wrong though. Dry skin makes sense but skin actually peeling off seems unusual.

Lol, but what is normal in withdrawals ? I feel like the drug somehow effects the regeneration of skin and accelerated the shedding process. Something that was changed for 11 years on medication is now changing back to normal a function, with growing pains along the way. 

• Mentor

Well today was really good. Just slight symptoms at the end of the day. Muscle spasms, headaches and tinnitus. 

• Mentor

Headaches, tinnitus, fatigue is minimal, metallic taste in mouth, muscle spasms, brain lag(not sure what to call this, seeing things that aren’t there) and slight anxiety. 

• Mentor

Headaches,tinnitus, massive fatigue, muscle spasms, brain fog. 

• Mentor

Well this ride of withdrawals is crazy. I didn't go to work today because I slept for 12 hours and was still completely EXHAUSTED. I had tinnitus,headaches, fatigue, brain fog, muscle spasms, medium levels of anxiety and after images(when you see something shortly after even though you aren't looking at it). I also slipped abit on my nutrition on the weekend and definitely paid the price. But now I feel good. Each day that passes is one day closer to being healed :) 

• Mentor

So I have a catch 22. The fatigue is tough but I can combat it with coffee(not decaf). But I feel like the caffeine causes some spikes. Does anyone have any alternative ideas for reducing fatigue without caffeine? 

• Mentor

Yesterday was good. Slight insomnia, muscle spasms and metallic taste in mouth at bedtime. 

• Mentor

Today was good. Decent energy levels all day. Slight metallic taste in mouth, tinnitus,  and a slight headache. That’s another day down!