SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

medie2: short term user

medie2

Hello, I am new to forum. I  short term user. Started taking Escitalopram. I was having side effects of major drowsiness that was interfering with work and I think was making my high blood pressure was worst. I am on olmestran for high blood pressure. Before I got on the anti-depressant, I got off three blood pressure meds - amlodipine for 10 years, Benazepril, (6months), Metoprolol (about 3 days- side effects was so bad). So dr took me off all of these at the same time, my body just went into overdrive with side effects, especially fluctuation in blood pressure, got up to 165 over 112, it was up and down for about month, sometimes it still is. During this bad period, the doc felt like i had major anxiety. I had some losses in past two years, loss two beloved pets in 6months period, they had been my fur babies for 14 and 13 years, and were very important to me. I lost a young friend and colleague, who died in her sleep unexpectedly, so  I agree I was not in a good place, so between all the craziness from blood pressure meds and the losses I agree to the meds. But start having side effects that was interfering with work. Also, I think I was having panic attacks, so he gave me a 5 xanax to use during this time. I took them in half for about 5 major attack. I felt so bad the next day, balance was off, drowsy, and just hung over. The dr suggested maybe it was time to get on an different one. I decided to go cold turkey on the escitalopram. This is day 6..Wed and today which is Friday, so very very dizzy in morning. So bad Wednesday, i did not go to work. Meanwhile the doc has called in a new meds that I haven;t picked up, Buspirone. I have no desire to get on another one. I am 62 and becoming very sensitive to any meds.

Has  anyone experience major dizziness from short term use and ct withdrawal. I know my doc is going to say it is not from the meds but from anxiety. He may write another rx and let me taper. Can anyone share their experience going ct from short term use of escitalopram?

Edited by ChessieCat
reformatted

Escitalopram (generic of lexapro)  5 mg 6/6/2019 to 6/29/2019  CT  Restarted 7/5 /2019  5mg

Alprazolam (Generic of xanaz) ..  3 dose 2.5 mg  and 2 dose of 5 mg between 6/6/2019 to 6/20

Are the withdrawal symptoms less at night? 

Escitalopram (generic of lexapro)  5 mg 6/6/2019 to 6/29/2019  CT  Restarted 7/5 /2019  5mg

Alprazolam (Generic of xanaz) ..  3 dose 2.5 mg  and 2 dose of 5 mg between 6/6/2019 to 6/20

Why is the dizziness worst in the morning? Does anyone know? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to medie2: short term user
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi medie2 and welcome,

And good for you, for not prolonging the usage of these medications.  Usually dependencies develop fairly quickly, with both the AD's and benzo's.  And sometimes in as little as 2 weeks time.  So very likely, that you are experiencing some withdrawal at this time.

I did not go CT from short term use of escitalopram, yet often the symptoms that you mention now, can be due to withdrawal(WD).

I experienced a lot of dizziness and vertigo type symptoms during my early withdrawal.  Much improved now.  Yet, I'm a very different case than yours, as I did close to 30 years of these medications.  Are you rising from bed slowly?  Sitting for a bit before you stand?  Perhaps you are having some orthostatic hypo-tension going on now. 

How is your blood pressure doing now?  And how are you going to manage that? 

How did you come off your blood pressure medications?  Any tapering?

I'm all for more alternative and more natural treatments now, as much as possible.  It may be a good idea for you to monitor your blood pressure from time to time, and look for measures/interventions to keep that in good range going forward.  Non-drug treatments for high blood pressure

You might be interested in using some non-drug coping for emotions and lowering stress too:  Non-drug coping skills

One of the commoner side effects from antihypertensive medication, can certainly be depression,  and then, personally, I think that some of the fears or anxieties, go hand in hand with the low mood.

You can always check medications here too, Drugs.com.  You can search single medications in the upper box, and then check interactions as well, in the lower area there. 

Welcome again, medie2.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for your support. I am still on blood pressure meds, just one, Olmesartan (generic of benicar) I was on 3 types at one time but I was having all kind of side effects. So my gp took me off all three and put me on just one, my system went crazy, blood pressure fluctuated for weeks, still do some time though much less but I think now it may be due to the anti  anxiety med. 

The wd symtoms got so bad from the ssri, that I went to the doc, and the physician assistant said I was having classic symptoms, and advise me to take one immediately. Within 2 hours the symptoms had disappeared. So I am back on them, I will see my GP Tuesday and begin a tapering program. I was so dizzy and  felt like my body had been ran over by a truck, and I knew that I could not work feeling that way. She told me to do a dose every other day, but when Sat came the symptoms was coming back, since I had enough left until i see my Doc,  am just going to use them.

I am determined to get off these before I get in any deeper. I am going to try yoga therapy and meditation, and exercise, and just go out have some fun.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, medie2 said:

She told me to do a dose every other day, but when Sat came the symptoms was coming back, since I had enough left until i see my Doc,  am just going to use them.

Skipping days is not recommended.  The brain likes consistency:  Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update the information in your drug signature so we can see the drug changes at a glance.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, medie2 said:

Thank you for your support. I am still on blood pressure meds, just one, Olmesartan (generic of benicar) I was on 3 types at one time but I was having all kind of side effects. So my gp took me off all three and put me on just one, my system went crazy, blood pressure fluctuated for weeks, still do some time though much less but I think now it may be due to the anti  anxiety med. 

The wd symtoms got so bad from the ssri, that I went to the doc, and the physician assistant said I was having classic symptoms, and advise me to take one immediately. Within 2 hours the symptoms had disappeared. So I am back on them, I will see my GP Tuesday and begin a tapering program. I was so dizzy and  felt like my body had been ran over by a truck, and I knew that I could not work feeling that way. She told me to do a dose every other day, but when Sat came the symptoms was coming back, since I had enough left until i see my Doc,  am just going to use them.

I am determined to get off these before I get in any deeper. I am going to try yoga therapy and meditation, and exercise, and just go out have some fun.

Hi medie2,

Okay, and apologies medie 2, as I missed that you were on Olmesartan, still in your first post.

When did the GP take you off all 3, which I'm assuming were Olmesartan, Benazapril, and Metaprolol?  Was there any tapering plan to this?

We usually deal with antidepressants and other psychoactive medications here.  Were not physicians, nor pharmacists, just peer counselors.

I am not at all clear on your timeline.

Can you get some dates in with your information about the "BP medications"?  Dates and dosages.  When started.  When they were discontinued.  And then when the Olmesartan was restarted.    Thank you.  This could go in your signature. 

Go to Account Settings and you should be able to update your signature.  On the left you'll see signature, just tick that and it will take you to yours for editing.

I understand that you don't want to be on the escitalopram and/or any antianxiety medications.  And I think we can help you with that.  Or help you find perhaps a harm reduction strategy to taper.

You mention side effects of major drowsiness in your first post?  And then again in the one I quoted.  The dizzy and feeling run over by a truck.......

Was this prior to the escitalopram and alprazolam?  It's just still not clear.

Do, please use Drugs.com as a general rule to look up your medications, to find more basic information for yourself, as well as to check for interactions.  We don't always get all the information we need, prior to making a decision on taking medications.

What are you taking now?  You mentioned the buspirone prescription, that you had not picked up.  And that you had discontinued Ativan.  You are mentioning an antianxiety medication in the quoted post too. 

Has your system that "went crazy for weeks" settled down?

So you are back on the escitalopram 5 mg now.   With some relief?

And yes, as ChessieCat mentioned we don't recommend an every other day dosing.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage

each 10% taper is based on the previous dose

I think, if the 5 mg dose is now stabilizing you a bit, it may be a good idea to just HOLD.

It's really unclear to me right now, if the psychoactive drugs, both escitalopram and alprazolam, were given due to side effects of your drugs given for your BP and/or rapid discontinuation of them. 

Thanks medie2.  And let us know how your appointment goes with your GP.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

And hi again medie,  I'm just posting here some of the links that will take you, to some more information too.

Tips on tapering Lexapro(escitalopram)

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

Take a look at 6. in the index and see if that sounds like your experience?  You might be interested in some of the other numbered sections there too.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

We have a couple topics on beta- blockers too, like the metoprolol, you were briefly on.  Both general and tapering of.

To do a search on any topic here you can go to any of the forums where you think there might be information and then just type in the topic in the search box in the upper right, at the top of the page.

Or you can do a general search with your main browser, just include survivingantidepressants.org and then the topic of interest.

Edited by manymoretodays