Bear1975: reducing risperidone / Risperdal

Bear1975

I have been on respiridone for about 10 years.  Been reducing over list 12 months.  It's so hard.  Has anybody else successfully come off it?

2006 - present - Venlafaxine 

2010 - Present - Respiridone

Tried to taper off respiridone several times over the years and failed.

May 2018 - Half tablet in morning and full in evening.

August 2018 - Half morning and night

October 2018 - back up to full in evening.  Kept half in morning.

June 2019 - reduced to half at night again.  3 weeks in and withdrawal symptoms 

August 2019 - Now at 0.25 morning and 0.25 evening

2010 - 2018 Everol HRT 75

2019 - Increase Everol to 100

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bear1975: reducing risperidone / Risperdal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Bear1975, and welcome to SA.  I'm sorry you're having a hard time. What are your symptoms?

Please add a drug signature, including drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. Please include the date you started tapering the respiradone and the rate at which you've been tapering.
  • Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ag 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Risperidone.

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

This link is to one of the Risperidone success stories.  For others, please Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org Risperidone success stories" or "SurvivingAntidepressants.org Risperdal success stories"

risperdalhater I recovered from risperdal aka risperidone - Success ...

If you've been tapering faster than 10%, very likely the reason you're having a hard time is you are suffering withdrawal symptoms from the drug.  We can tell you more after you complete your drug signature.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.
We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

risperdalhater had a relapse into his psychosis after he went off his antipsychotics. Do taper slowly if you want to make a full recovery

risperidone 5mg on 17 december 2017

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

fluoxetine 20mg started 15/12/2017,stopped 15/1/2018

1/1/2019 80 mg lurasidone

2/1/2019 40 mg lurasidone

3/1/2019 stopped

29/5/2019 20 mg lurasidone 

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

Hi Bear1975,

I was started on olanzapine but put onto risperidone after a few years when I gained a ridiculous amount of weight.  I stayed on it for maybe 10 years then cut back over to olanzapine after a brief spell on aripiprazole which didn't work well at all.   Since then I've tapered from 10mg of the olanzapine down to 1.675mg and counting.  As you'd know it's fairly unpleasant and challenging but doable if you go slowly and know when to hold (with apologies to kenny rogers).

Not suggesting you swap out to another drug, but it should be a comparable AP to withdraw from.  For me it's been a case of letting my body catch up as I make the cuts, and resolving the underlying trauma that got me put on this unpleasant drug in the first place (I carefully sought professional help with the latter and happily got it).  I'm confident it's gonna be ok.  It's frustrating that it will probably take me another couple of years to get off completely but better than having avoidable life problems in the meantime.

Plenty of wisdom on this site.

Cheers and all the best with your taper

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Thanks for reply.   I was put on respiridone 0.5mg twice a day about 10 years ago.   I have tried to reduce many times and failed.  12 months ago I went down to half a tablet in morning with 1 tablet at night.  3 weeks ago I went down to half at night too, so taking half at night and half in morning.  Felt fine for 2 weeks but last week has been hell.  Fatigue, flu like and severe anxiety, bad stomach and head ache

I am tapering respiridone.  I only take 0.5mg twice a day (morning and night).  12 months ago I reduced to half in morning, then tried to do half in evening in October which failed, so I went back to full in evening.

Since then had good weeks and some bad but overall ok so reduced again to half at night 3 weeks ago.  Was great for 2 weeks and then bang this last week has been awful.

How do I reduce on such small tablets, it's difficult to do 10% of a small half a tablet?

• Moderator Emeritus

Two introduction topics merged.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Bear.

If you feel poorly from the dosage reductions, you are tapering too fast. Please stop changing your drug dosage for the time being.

At what times of day do you take risperidone, and at what dosages currently? What are your symptoms?

Please read the link Gridley so kindly gave you Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, Bear1975 said:

How do I reduce on such small tablets, it's difficult to do 10% of a small half a tablet? 

I make a liquid suspension as Rhi on here has advised.  Crush the tablet and put it in a known quantity of clean water (say 50 ml you measured out with a syringe) or just let it disintegrate.  Then agitate the mixture by drawing it in and out with the syringe.  Then promptly remove the unwanted portion (10% of 50ml is 5ml, so drawing out 5ml will leave you 45ml) and consume the remainder.  Best to just chuck anything left over rather than try and store it. 

Pipettes are also available on fleabay and might be more convenient later on but I got a long way with just oral syringes from the chemist.

I use a spreadsheet to plan and keep track of the process.  You can keep notes in there as well.  Lately I've been happiest using https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17671-the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering/?tab=comments#comment-347786 as a guide.

Cheers

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM