Mictlantecuhtli: leaving quetiapine / Seroquel away

Mictlantecuhtli

Hello everybody. I have been on 12. 5 MG of quetiapine every night for 5 months. I started on december 2018. That dose was prescribed for anxiety. Last may the anxiety was blown off and doctor said its Time to leave the Seroquel. She suggested to leave it cold turkey but i refused. Searching the web i found you. Thanks God! I started the 10 percent taper. All went fine at the begining but now at 9 MG. The hypnic jerks appeared. My shrink insists That was a very low dose for a few months. I could leave it faster. The only thing im worried its That these shakings could grow as i tapper. This Is the only pill im in now. Is it really such a very low dose? Any suggestions? Thanks everybody

Edited by Mictlantecuhtli
Forgot to mention some points

*started Seroquel 12.5 mg mid September 2018

* First tappering mid April 2019 11.5 MG

Continued dose for 3 week

* Second tappering second week May 2019 at 10.5 MG.

* Third tappering mid June 2019 at 10 MG* 

*Fourth tappering first week of july 2019 at 9 MG.

Taking Omega 3 1200 MG, magnesium 600 MG, B 3, 6,12 in a tablet daily

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mictlantecuhtli: leaving quetiapine / Seroquel away
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Mictlantecuhti.  I'm glad you found your way here and didn't cold turkey.  Doctors know nothing about tapering or withdrawal and almost invariably advise their patients to taper far too quickly.  

To start, please add a drug signature, including drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Please include the date you started the Seroquel and the dosage, dates and dosages of your taper, and when the hypnic jerks appeared.  Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 
  • Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to taper more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Is this the method you've been using?  If so, the fact that you developed hypnic jerks at 9mg indicates you are tapering too fast. 

The 10% method suits many members, but many others have to go more slowly.  This is especially important as you get lower in dosage.  I suggest you stop tapering and hold at 9mg until you get relief from the jerks.  Then I recommend you taper more slowly.  Here are two gentle taper methods:

You may want to switch to a micro-taper going forward. This is the gentlest way to come off these drugs. 

The Brassmonkey Slide is a way of making micro-taper reductions weekly, as opposed to a larger reduction once a month. 

Here is specific information about tapering off Seroquel.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  Please let us hear from you and don't forget to complete your drug signature.  Again, we're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you  very much for acepting me and the response. I am filling the signature

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

*started Seroquel 12.5 mg mid September 2018

* First tappering mid April 2019 11.5 MG

Continued dose for 3 week

* Second tappering second week May 2019 at 10.5 MG.

* Third tappering mid June 2019 at 10 MG* 

*Fourth tappering first week of july 2019 at 9 MG.

Taking Omega 3 1200 MG, magnesium 600 MG, B 3, 6,12 in a tablet daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Mictlantecuhtli,

Good job on your signature.  It looks like you have been tapering at 10% or less, from each previous dose about every 4 weeks.

How are you tapering?  In other words, have you made a liquid, or are you weighing doses, or cutting pills?

And yes, you might consider a bit of a longer hold now, until WD(withdrawal) symptoms stabilize a bit.

Welcome again,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing