Trissy65: venlafaxine / Effexor withdrawal

Trissy65

After 6 years taking antidepressants and 7,5 years psychotherapy, I decided to make the step from getting off venlafaxine (150 mg retarded). The tapering was just  2 weeks 75 mg and 2 weeks 37,5 mg.  Now I'm off the venlafaxine for almost 3 weeks but I don't feel well at all, that's an understatement.  Might it be usefull to go back to 37,5 mg again and from there tapering  with 10% steps? 

I don't know what to do, may be I just have to persist and carry on in order to get over it, that was my first reaction. But I feel very irritated, stressed, agressive, paniced, a lot of crying  and my brains are exploding or shrinking a strange sensation. Any suggestions?

Edited by Shep
added new username to title
  • ChessieCat changed the title to NAME CHANGE REQUESTED: venlafaxine / Effexor withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, Trissy.

How is it you don't feel well? What are your daily symptoms? How is your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I had the feeling that my brains were falling all the time and I’m feeling dizzy. Also several parts of my body strange sensation, like falling within itself. Also very tired, need al lot of sleep and rest during the day.

My sleeping is a bit restless with intense dreams and early weakup. 

My mood is down, don’t see goals and very irritated. Doesn’t feel well at all, depressed and alsoskme panic. 

I  already took venlafaxine 37,5 Mg since yesterday. Just to comfort myself. I think there is a bit more rest now....

my idea is to stabilise this dose for about three weeks and then reduce to 25 Mg for several weeks and then to 12,5 Mg. There are only 12,5 tablets in the capsule. 

This is what I have in mind... 

hope it will do. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trissy

Welcome to SA

You have reinstated but will take up to a week for drug to have full effect.

The taper you are suggesting is too fast and too soon.

You are correct in that you need to stabliise but at this stage you do not know how long that will take as it varies from person to person.

You should then wait at least a month before considering a taper.

This site advocates a 10% reduction of your current dose with a hold between each reduction.

The schedule you are proposing is much faster.

We all want to be off these drugs but there is no quick fix.

Please read the link below.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Please also complete your drug signature using the link below.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This info is essential so the senior mods can see your history at a glance, they are very busy and do not have time to spend hunting for info.

All the mods on here are volunteers whose only aim is to help.

Please continue to post on your thread and interact with other users as well as mods.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Trissy

I know it is frightening.

We have all been there, the proverbial rock and hard place but there is a way forward and you will get better.

It does take time and an element of acceptance, but if you read some of the threads you will see we all share one common goal.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes: