Bee5

Brain zaps during / after a virus

Bee5

Like many people, I experienced brain zaps due to SSRI withdrawal. However, I also experience brain zaps at the onset of a viral infection, during a viral infection, and post a viral infection. I experience them with cold and flu viruses, and gastric viruses. The brain zaps are more frequent than during withdrawal, i.e. they appear at the slightest movement, even though I have been in bed for 48 hours with a gastric flu. I have scanned the internet and searched this forum, but I don''t see people posting about brain zaps associated with a virus. Am I alone in my experience? 

ChessieCat

If you have diarrhea and are going to the toilet a lot you might possibly be absorbing less of your dose/s of drugs.

Bee5

Thanks Chessie. I get the brain zaps with any type of virus - including respiratory ones, so I don't think it's related to diarrhea. I did come across one thread on the internet where people hypothesised that it could have something to do with internal temperature regulation, and that it changes when your body is fighting a virus. I was hoping that SA members would share their experiences, since this is the biggest repository of patient symptoms I know. I am hoping some people comes across the thread in a search of the site. I can't be the only one to experience this.

ChessieCat

From https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/flu-and-brain-shocks-in-patient.973676/

The last two times he's gotten a flu or cold (he has the flu right now, tympanic temperature self-reported as 101.5 F), he reports what he calls brain shocks that he says are identical to the ones he had when he abruptly discontinued Paxil years before.

Bee5

Thanks Chessie. This is the forum discussion I was referring to in my post. I have not been able to find anything other than this. 

ChessieCat

(I'm on tapered internet speed at the moment so can't get to every site)

https://www.justanswer.com/health/7j78i-ever-heard-something-brain-zaps-fever.html

(google abbreviation) From https://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/when-i-get-sick/16510

Dec 27, 2014 - I usually get brain zaps when I get the flu or a bad cold. The same brain zaps you get after missing a few doses of a SSRI.

Bee5

Thanks for these, it helps to know I'm not alone.