Antidepressants Improve Brain Functions After Injury

compsports

Here we go again with claims that antidepressants improve brain function after neurological insults like stroke and traumatic brain injury.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/04/19/antidepressants-improve-brain-functions-after-injury/25450.html

Emerging research suggest antidepressant medications may aid creation and survival of new brain cells after a brain injury.

The research study emerged after neurosurgeons noticed that patients with brain injuries who had been prescribed antidepressants were doing better in unexpected ways than other patients with a similar diagnosis who were not prescribed the medication.

The surgeons observed that in addition to a reduction in depression individuals also displayed improved memory.

“We saw these patients improving in multiple ways — their depression was improved, but so were their memory and cognitive functioning. We wanted to look at the issue more, so we went back to the laboratory to investigate it further,” said Jason Huang, M.D., associate professor of neurosurgery and chief of neurosurgery at the University of Rochester Medical Center.

My comments - If there are any benefits which I have my doubts about, this would only be for the short term. I feel that long term, these drugs destroy brain functions. Of course, researchers will conveniently overlook that.

Continue at the above link.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

i have read this too in France, if i look at my state with antidepressants, i cannot concieve this,

i doubt totally about these studies

as you i think in long term it will be disastrous

it is a new theory as neurotransmitters balance

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

My comments - If there are any benefits which I have my doubts about, this would only be for the short term. I feel that long term, these drugs destroy brain functions. Of course, researchers will conveniently overlook that.

Absolutely. I think it's the initial boost you get from taking any stimulant. Enhances various things. But, you pay the piper.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

i have read this too in France, if i look at my state with antidepressants, i cannot concieve this,

i doubt totally about these studies

as you i think in long term it will be disastrous

it is a new theory as neurotransmitters balance

Hi Stan,

I always hate to hear that this is happening in other countries besides the US. It means the whole bleeping world is insane.

Absolutely. I think it's the initial boost you get from taking any stimulant. Enhances various things. But, you pay the piper.

Oh yeah Healing, I remember those "wonderful" stimulant days. Yup, I definitely paid the piper for those initial benefits.

CS

“It’s exciting that the study involves a drug that is already safe and approved by FDA and is used clinically."

Sure.

Also, *no* mention what the time frame of the trials was. I bet it was measured in weeks... But, what a heck, the new market opens with fanfare.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Reading this article leaves me with more questions than answers.

A lot of it refers to improved functional abilities and mood improvement, which are certainly possible and even likely, at least for a time, in most people.

That's why these meds are so popular.

(I stress "most" people because I'm certainly aware that many people have undesirable (adverse) responses.)

As for the first sentence - it seems to be referring to previous research done on mice.

From the complete article linked to:

Scientists aren’t sure whether the drug helps spur the creation of more new neurons, or whether it helps newly created neurons survive – or both. However, researchers have discovered that after a brain injury, the brain appears to create more brain cells, possible as a way to compensate for injury.

I wonder if the new neurons were desirable ones, and especially whether this is due to natural healing (which we know occurs), rather than being due to taking the meds.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

They say that it improves brain function in Alzheimer's patients as well...

My grandfather just died of it, and they had him, and all of the other patients (I befriended a nurse) on Prozac, Seroquel and the like. They seemed to like to give Seroquel to the patients that walked around too much. Once they put him on the Seroquel he never got out of bed again and died a few months later.

They say that it improves brain function in Alzheimer's patients as well...

My grandfather just died of it, and they had him, and all of the other patients (I befriended a nurse) on Prozac, Seroquel and the like. They seemed to like to give Seroquel to the patients that walked around too much. Once they put him on the Seroquel he never got out of bed again and died a few months later.

Hi Brandon,

I am sure this is an award you don't want but you're winning the prize today for writing posts that are causing me to have the most WTF reactions.

Let's just kill all the Alzheimer patients, why don't we?

I am so sorry to hear that about your grandfather. I can't imagine dealing with that.

As an aside, coconut oil seems to work alot better with alot less side effects for Alzheimers Google Mary Newport and coconut oil.

CS

I am sure this is an award you don't want but you're winning the prize today for writing posts that are causing me to have the most WTF reactions.

Maybe this should be an SA prize awarded daily. I mean, some of the things we have been through....

Absolutely surreal.

Very sorry to hear about your grandfather, Brandon.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

CS and Healing: Thanks for your comments, and thanks for the award!

It was very difficult dealing with the Alzheimer's disease in what was such a beautiful person. He got it so young.

It's even more frustrating knowing that modern medicine won't look at the reasons why people get it; it's purely environmental: metals and toxins from our pharmaceuticals, food, and water.

Some of the "care" he received in certain hospitals was reprehensible.

Seroquel is not approved for elderly dementia patients; and Astra Zeneca admits this may cause death.

They still give it to them anyway.

Their commercial is unbelievable:

Oh, my, god... It's total aberration - the list of symptoms/side effects is some facetious travesty. Gosh, this velvet voice-over tells us about death, coma, and gazillon more. At first, I thought it's a parody of SSRIs commercials...

It's gotten to the point of utter absurdity...

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy