SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dreamer92890: anyone else get brain zaps as often as I do?

Dreamer92890

I’ve been tapering off of Venlafaxine IR for about 6 months now. My dr put me on 40mg of Prozac to help with the withdrawal symptoms. But I feel like I get brain zaps anytime I’m sick, or I’m PMSing (sorry if it’s TMI for the guys). My primary doc recommended 5 HTP. She was very nonchalant about it “I take it every morning in my coffee”. So I thought hey I’ll try it. Then my psychiatrist just about had a heart attack when I mentioned that. I understand there’s a Chance of serotonin syndrome. But would that be in like HIGH doses? Im a nervous nelly so I took about 25mg of 5 HTP but only every couple of days. But I mean...I’m living in hell... if I don’t get rid of these brain zaps, then what the hell is the point? I can’t enjoy life when I’m dizzy all damn day. 

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

lost 75 pounds...started having adverse (withdrawal) symptoms from lexapro

-increased Lexapro to 25mg-2016

-switched to Venlafaxine XR-2017

-switched to Venlafaxine IR-2018

-started tapering off of Venlafaxine-2019

-added Prozac 20mg

March 2019- was on 37.5mg 2x/day and 30mg of Prozac. 

Currently on

40mg of Prozac; multi vitamin (2x day); 18.5mg of Venlafaxine (I try once a day or every other day, but it’s HELL); Vitamin D; rarely 5-HTP

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dreamer92890: anyone else get brain zaps as often as I do?

I’ve been tapering off of Venlafaxine IR for about 6 months now. My dr put me on 40mg of Prozac to help with the withdrawal symptoms. But I feel like I get brain zaps anytime I’m sick, or I’m PMSing (sorry if it’s TMI for the guys). My primary doc recommended 5 HTP. She was very nonchalant about it “I take it every morning in my coffee”. So I thought hey I’ll try it. Then my psychiatrist just about had a heart attack when I mentioned that. I understand there’s a Chance of serotonin syndrome. But would that be in like HIGH doses? Im a nervous nelly so I took about 25mg of 5 HTP but only every couple of days. But I mean...I’m living in hell... if I don’t get rid of these brain zaps, then what the hell is the point? I can’t enjoy life when I’m dizzy all damn day.  

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

-added Prozac 20mg

Currently on

40mg of Prozac; multi vitamin (2x day); 18.5mg of Venlafaxine (I try once a day or every other day, but it’s HELL); Vitamin D; rarely 5-HTP

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Dreamer

Welcome to SA

I am sorry you are suffering.

Unfortunately doctors and psychiatrists know nothing of anti-depressant withdrawal,  indeed most still refuse to accept that it exists

This site is run entirely by volunteers and includes a wealth of information, as well some of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to withdrawal.

They are very busy, so we ask members to respond to requests accurately and concisely, to ensure you get the best advice possible.

Please do not take any more 5-HTTP.

Our CNS ( central nervous system ) needs stablity and taking any med intermittently can destabilise it and escalate withdrawal systoms.

Do not make any further changes to your meds until the senior mods on here have chance to review your situation.

switched to Venlafaxine XR-2017

What dose/s of Venlafaxine were you on, and what was your taper schedule?

You have already made several dose changes this year so your CNS is in disarray, hence you are experiencing W/D.

You can and will recover but it will take time.

17 hours ago, Dreamer92890 said:

PMSing (sorry if it’s TMI for the guys)

Do not feel any need to be embarassed it can have real relevance with regard to symptoms.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

As you have brain zaps I will repeat do not take any more 5-HTTP.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Thank you for the response. I go back and forth with what to do. I can handle a bad day but when it lasts a week or two, it’s hard not to try and find relief. Why can’t there be a relief? With all of the medical advances, and all of us suffering from these AWFUL drugs....it’s terrible

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

-added Prozac 20mg

Currently on

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dreamer

15 hours ago, Dreamer92890 said:

I go back and forth with what to do

This is the worst thing you can do.

You need to allow your system to settle and this will take time.

On SA we do not recommend supplements apart from

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Multivitamins are not targeted and may contain detrimental elements in withdrawal.

Can you remember your Venlaxafine starting dose?

There is no quick fix, it will take time.

Please ensure you read the links in my previous post to help you understand what is happening .

The link below will demonstrate recovery is not only possible but does happen

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

How are you feeling today?

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you may be experiencing serotonin toxicity / syndrome from being on both Prozac and venlafaxine.  When adding in 5 htp that would increase the ST.

I've had mild serotonin toxicity myself.  My diastolic blood pressure increased by a lot (doctor didn't make the connection to the increase from 50mg to 100mg Pristiq and just upped my BP med), I was sweating a lot even in the middle of a cold winter day (in Australia), I was experiencing confusion, agitation, anxiety, stiff/tight calf muscles when walking, having skipped/missed/flipping heartbeats, having to have a 2 hours sleep almost every day and still sleeping through the night.  Some of these symptoms I didn't relate to the drug until the symptoms started to ease, and of course the knowledge that I gained from SA.  Once my dose got lower the ST symptoms reduced.

When doing a Prozac bridge the idea is to cross taper over a short period of time.

From Post #1 of The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Foster 2012 method:

Do not stay on the combination of the first antidepressant and Prozac

for more than 2 weeks, or you run the risk of your nervous system accommodating to the combination and having difficulty tapering off both antidepressants.

You been on both drugs now since March this year.  Because it only takes about 1 month for the brain to adapt to a drug, you are more than likely physiologically dependent on both drugs.

Please do not panic.  Do not stop either drug suddenly.  The best way forward, in my opinion, is to decide which drug you want to stay on and start reducing the other drug carefully.

Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?

From https://www.psycom.net/serotonin-syndrome

Serotonin Syndrome Symptoms

The following symptoms are signs that you are experiencing serotonin syndrome:

• Headaches
  • Shivering
  • Goosebumps
  • Heavy sweating
  • Restlessness
  • Agitation
  • Dilated pupils
  • Confusion
  • Diarrhea
  • Rapid heart rate
  • High blood pressure
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Loss of muscle coordination
  • Twitching muscles

If you experience these symptoms, contact your doctor as soon as possible to discuss the best course of action. However, severe serotonin syndrome can be life-threatening and if you experience any of the symptoms below you should seek emergency treatment immediately:

• Irregular heartbeat
  • High fever (>103 F/40 C)
  • Seizures
  • Unconsciousness

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, Dreamer.

40mg Prozac is a fairly hefty dose. Your psychiatrist over-corrected with that.

The combination of Effexor and Prozac can be excessively serotonergic, as Chessie mentioned.

Do these zaps happen at any particular time of day? What times of day do you take your drugs? How do you feel before and after you take each one? How's your sleep? Are you sweating an unusual amount? (Outside of the weather being very hot.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well I have finally been able to go every other day with only taking 18.5mg (half of my 37.5mg) dose. But I always feel great and brain zap free the week after my period. The week before, my brain zaps get bad...then worse the week of. I know it’s related to my hormones but my psychiatrist insists that the Prozac should be fixing all of that 

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

-added Prozac 20mg

Currently on

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/29/2019 at 3:38 AM, Altostrata said:

Do these zaps happen at any particular time of day? What times of day do you take your drugs? How do you feel before and after you take each one? How's your sleep? Are you sweating an unusual amount? (Outside of the weather being very hot.)

Please answer Alto's questions.

18 minutes ago, Dreamer92890 said:

Well I have finally been able to go every other day with only taking 18.5mg (half of my 37.5mg) dose.

Skipping days is not recommended.  The brain likes consistency and it is better to take the same dose of the drug at about the same time on a daily basis.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

It also sounds like you have made a very large reduction.  If you were taking 18.5mg daily and have started alternating days you have made a 50% reduction.

Please start taking your dose daily.  If you are taking 18.5mg every second day you will need to halve that dose and take it daily.  However, you might find that you need to updose because of the large decrease you made.  You could try taking 10mg daily and keep daily symptoms notes on paper to see how it affects you.  This topic explains how to get the dose you need:

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

You may be experience things which you don't relate to withdrawal:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

And this is the topic for your other drug for later reference:

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
On 7/31/2019 at 6:25 PM, Dreamer92890 said:

Well I have finally been able to go every other day with only taking 18.5mg (half of my 37.5mg) dose. But I always feel great and brain zap free the week after my period. The week before, my brain zaps get bad...then worse the week of. I know it’s related to my hormones but my psychiatrist insists that the Prozac should be fixing all of that 

When did you make this change? Please do NOT skip doses to taper a drug! This causes major problems. Can you take 9.25mg every day?

Did you get brain zaps from taking Effexor and Prozac together?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

So I have not taken a dose of venlafaxine in 12 days. I haven’t taken any other supplements, but I have been using CBD oil for a few months. I am still taking 40mg of Prozac daily. And have started working out and meditating. Let’s hope all of these prayers have finally been answered 🙏 

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

-added Prozac 20mg

Currently on

• 3 weeks later...

Topic title:  Did I finally do it?

I was taking 18.75mg of venlafaxine for another 2 months. I started with twice a day; then tried to go down to once a day. I felt as though it was such a low dose, it wasn’t helping. On August 1st I took the last 18.75.mg of venlafaxine. I started exercising everyday and stretching. I also started eating a lot healthier (I was pretty healthy before but I switched to mostly organic). I am still on 40mg of Prozac in the morning. But I feel like 95% of my symptoms are gone. I’m optimistic but I’m also scared and almost waiting for symptoms to reappear. Has anyone been at this stage that can give some positive feedback? It took about 3 years to get where I am so I’m hoping that I finally did it. Im Ok with being on Prozac for a little while because I feel like it isn’t as harsh as lexapro and the effexor, and actually helps with my panic attacks. I pray everyday that I finally got off of the harsh medicine. Thanks everyone for the support

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

-Lexapro 20mg-2006

-added Prozac 20mg

Currently on

• ChessieCat changed the title to Did I finally do it?
  • Administrator

Combining venlafaxine with high-dose Prozac is not a good idea.

Good to hear dropping the venlafaxine decreased the symptoms from the drug-drug interaction and that you don't seem to have withdrawal symptoms from finally going off venlafaxine.

When exactly did you go up to 40mg Prozac?