Psych drugs and gun violence (in the wake of yet another shooting)

GiaK

These are links to a few articles on gun violence and psychiatry from Everything Matters. Yes, they’re pretty clearly connected but we live in a world in which it’s members are encouraged to keep their heads up a small, dark, tight canal in the bottom half of the body.

Study shows 31 prescription drugs (mostly psychiatric) associated with reports of violence towards others

The pharmaceutical industry and the fight against gun control

Medicated America

Blaming the mentally ill for violence is bad public policy as well as just plain misguided

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 month later...

Yes this is all true. In fact I’d argue 98 percent of all mass shootings including school shootings are not just related but caused by psychiatric drugs. It’s almost too important and too outrageous to report because people wouldn’t be able to handle the truth, history will document it as such and people will remember psychiatries role in one of the greatest global epidemics and mental health experiments ever. Let’s just hope the ones in this site, including me, make it out in one piece. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much every time there is a mass shooting I look to see what meds the person was on. There's almost always something.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Even amongst people who are not wise to all the effects of psych meds - including their discontinuation and withdrawals - they are aware of the connection between mass shooters and these drugs. Are all of these drugs based on flouride (fluoxetine) - is fluoride right?

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think about this every time I hear of a mass shooting. Easy access to guns and semi-automatic weapons in the US is so troubling and disastrous to begin with. Add on the pervasive prescribing of antidepressants and other psych drugs that carry with it side effects and withdrawal effects of homicidal and suicidal feelings.

I know it’s dark but I strongly feel these meds and associated withdrawal are at the core of most mass shootings. As we see a rise in such events as we begin to emerge from the pandemic, I can’t help but wonder how much of this is also due to an increase in prescriptions of psych drugs also during the pandemic. If we can only get an epidemiologist to run these associations...

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy