SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Worthy: tapering advice wanted

Worthy

Hello.  I am wanting some advice on withdrawing from the drugs I am currently on.  I am taking 60 mg cymbalta, 5 mg zyprexa and 7.5 mg mirtazapine.  I would like to withdraw from all 3 at the same time.  Is this possible 

June 30th dosages and times tskenzypr
currently tapering zyprexa @3% every 2 week
August 05
Can anybody advise which of the following I should be tapering first.  I am currently on 
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
zyprexa. .75 mg taken at 10pm. 
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
lorazepam. .5 mg taken at 10pm
Having bad withdrawals as have been multi tapering
August 9
I know I have been very wrong for not following advice given before.   Please can I start over and get help.  
Realised i I made a mistake with my signature on 30th June.  Cymbalta should have been13.2mg not 18.2mg.  
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
24 beads cymbalta 4mg, tapering,  to September 10  on 1.2 mg
2mg Ativan, February had tapered to 0, February 15- 1 mg, tapering to September 10- 0.68 mg( divided into 2 doses of 0.34 mg 12 hours apart)
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Worthy
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Worthy, and welcome to SA.

Are you having significant side effects to any of your drugs?

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time. Otherwise if problems develop, you won't what drug taper is causing it.  In the absence of significant side effects, we recommend tapering the more activating (stimulating) drug first, leaving the more sedating drug(s) to act as a buffer from withdrawal and to be tapered later.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

SSRIs and SNRIs (like Cymbalta) are activating drugs, while antipsychotics like Zyprexa are sedating drugs.  Mirtazapine at low doses is also sedating.  So, in the absence of any other factors to consider, Cymbalta would be the first drug to taper.  Before I discovered SA, I made the mistake of tapering a sedating drug first and suffered a good deal of anxiety as its buffering effect lessened as the dose dropped.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to taper more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link gives specific information above tapering Cymbalta.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed link

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for your reply.  My anxiety comes from alll 3 drugs as they are all weight gaining and too expensive as my medical insurance does not cover any of them.    My wish is to taper alll 3 drugs at the same time.  I will do this slowly but don’t want to do it over 7 years.  I plan for the cymbalta to take 4 years, the zyprexa over 5 months and the mirtazapine 5 months.   Alll 3 are weight gaining so at the end of 4 years I would be enormous which will only add to my depression

August 05
Can anybody advise which of the following I should be tapering first.  I am currently on 
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
I know I have been very wrong for not following advice given before.   Please can I start over and get help.  
Realised i I made a mistake with my signature on 30th June.  Cymbalta should have been13.2mg not 18.2mg.  
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
2mg Ativan, February had tapered to 0, February 15- 1 mg, tapering to September 10- 0.68 mg( divided into 2 doses of 0.34 mg 12 hours apart)
  • Administrator

Welcome, Worthy.

What times of day do you take these drugs? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

We do not recommend tapering more than one drug at a time. Zyprexa is the most likely to cause weight gain, then mirtazapine. Why are you taking these drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Is it safe to taper off 4 meds at the same time.  

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to introduction
August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

moved from tapering forum)

I am needing help with tapering.  I am currently trying to taper zyprexa,cymbalta and olanzapine.  I read that it is ok to multi taper and I am currently tapering @5% every 14 days.   Is this ok 

Edited by ChessieCat
merged to intro, moved from tapering
August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Worthy: Tapering Advice Wanted
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Worthy, @Worthy  and welcome back,

I just moved a couple of your most recent posts back here to your main introduction thread.  Very helpful to us to have all your information in one place.  I'm quoting some of the previous posts here for you, as well as the other moderators now.

What drug are you tapering 5% of every 14 days?

On 8/12/2019 at 1:12 PM, Worthy said:

Hello.  I am wanting some advice on withdrawing from the drugs I am currently on.  I am taking 60 mg cymbalta, 5 mg zyprexa and 7.5 mg mirtazapine.  I would like to withdraw from all 3 at the same time.  Is this possible 

7 hours ago, Worthy said:

Is it safe to taper off 4 meds at the same time.  

On 8/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, Altostrata said:

We do not recommend tapering more than one drug at a time.

Worthy, we don't recommend tapering multiple drugs at one time.  And we need a bit more information from you, to help.

You could do this now, if you are able to:

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Or try the following:

Can you tell us what you are taking now?  Please list each drug by name, and dosage, and the time of day that you take them.

You could just make a list, putting the time on the left, and then the drug name and dose on the right. 

When did you start taking each drug?

Just add this information separate to the list.

Then tell us what drug changes you have made since last August, 2019 August.  Again, do this separate from the list.

And then how are you doing now, any symptoms that you can attribute to the drugs or WD(withdrawal)?

Thank you.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks for your reply.  I am currently taking

In my tapering I am 
1.6 mg on zyprexa out of 5 mg at night
6,9 mg mirtazapine out of 15 at night
23mg cymbalta out of 60 at night
I have not yet started the Ativan taper (1mg morning)

I started tapering on 25th July last year 2019. WD symptoms - sweating, body jerks, anxiety, restless leg syndrome, suicidal ideation, lethargic.  I am still trying to taper all meds at the same time due to finances and unavailability of the drugs where I live.  Any help will be much appreciated 
Edited by manymoretodays
reduced font size to 14, for ease of reading, mmt
August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Administrator

Hello, Worthy.

Please stop tapering more than one drug at a time. Keep taking all your drugs on a regular schedule. We need to figure out which drug to taper first.

What times o'clock are you taking each drug, with its dosage?

Do you have any withdrawal symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for your reply.  Please can you advise why you say I must taper only one drug at a time.  I am so confused as somebody else who claims to know is adamant I should be doing all 3 together.  I just don’t know what to do and am very very nervous that I am not going to be ok.  

I am taking all 3 drugs at 10pm each night before I go to,bed.  Please see above for the dosages.

I  sweat a lot and having body jerks.  The slightest noise makes me jumpy   

I really would like to know what you think I should do and what you base your views on as I mentioned I am confused and very frightened of all this medication.  I was put on all these poisons whilst at a clinic in a neighboring country as I am suffering from major anxiety.  These drugs are not helping my anxiety at all, in fact they are making it worse.  I just want off on all,of them as soon as possible.  I live in Zimbabwe where there is no medical insurance and it is exceptionally difficult to,obtain the drugs.  So I am in a very bad place.

i would appreciate it if you could confirm why I need to taper one at a time and any other advise you can give me.  

Many many thanks

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 1/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, Altostrata said:

What times o'clock are you taking each drug, with its dosage?

Hi Worthy, @Worthy

Can you do something like this for us?  We really need more precise information.  Take a look at the following link and then try and just give us a day of times noted on the left, drugs by name and dose on the right, and symptoms throughout the day on the right as well.  Include sleep and any other substances or supplements taken.

Keeping Daily Notes

Example/sample:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Do this, but with your own drugs and symptoms.  That will really help. 

We are trying to just get to know you right now.  So that suggestions made are based on you and your situation.  We can then attempt to give you information, to make the most harm free decisions, around your tapering and journey off of medications. 

How long have you been on each drug would also be helpful to know, as well as any recent changes you've made and/or inconsistencies of daily dosing.  You can note that separately.

The nervous system can really go haywire anytime anyone erratically takes these type of medications/drugs.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 weeks later...

I need advice.  I am currently on zyprexa an anti psychotic, cymbalta an SNRI, mirtazapine a tetracycline and Ativan a benzo.  I am currently tapering all four of these at 5% every two,weeks.   I am following advice from a supposed expert who has told me to taper all 4 at the same time.  I have no medical insurance so need to taper off all,these drugs as quickly as is safely possible.   I see that multi tapering is not recommended by many others.  Is anybody able to give me advice,on what I should do as feeling very confused 

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from tapering forum
August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

I have only just see this.  I started on 5mg zyprexa, 60 mg cymbalta, 15 mg mirtazapine, 1 mg Ativan.  I take zyprexa, cymbalta and mirtazapine each night at 10pm.  I take Ativan at 7am each morning.  I have been tapering for 6 month at 5% every two weeks.  I have been tapering all four at the same time.  I am experiencing heightened anxiety, sweating and body jerks.  

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 1/9/2020 at 3:53 AM, Worthy said:

Please can you advise why you say I must taper only one drug at a time.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time because, if there are problems, you won't know what drug taper is causing it.

Wel also recommend tapering activating drugs, which are called accelerators, leaving the more sedating drugs which are called brakes, to act as a cushion or buffer to be tapered later.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Cymbalta is an accelerator.  Mirtazapine is also an accelerator but has some qualities of a brake.  Zyprexa and Ativan are brakes.  I would recommend you continue your taper of Cymbalta and hold where you are on the other three.

5% every two weeks is in line with our guideline to taper no more than 10% of current dose (NOT original dose) every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Cymbalta.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Please answer the questions that manymoretodays asked in her last post.  Here's what she asked:

Hi Worthy, @Worthy

Can you do something like this for us?  We really need more precise information.  Take a look at the following link and then try and just give us a day of times noted on the left, drugs by name and dose on the right, and symptoms throughout the day on the right as well.  Include sleep and any other substances or supplements taken.

Keeping Daily Notes

Example/sample:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Do this, but with your own drugs and symptoms.  That will really help.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for your replies.  It is,difficult to,write a diary of,events as some days I am,fine and others terrible but will do yesterday which was bad

4.30 am.  Woke up with high anxiety.  Lay awake in bed for 2 hours 

6.30 am.  Took .45mg Ativan 

7.30am.   Had breakfast 

8.30 am.   Tried to do,various household,tasks,but no motivation

10.30am.   Went to lie down for 2 hours to try and sleep but could not sleep

12.30 am.  Had lunch

1.30 Pm.    Lay down again for another 2hours but again no sleep.  Experienced body jerks and sweating 

3.30 pm.    Went for a walk for about an hour 

5.30 pm.     made dinner

7.30 Pm.     Felll asleep in front of tv for 2hours

9.30 Pm.     Took cymbalta, zyprexa and mirtazapine 

10.30 pm.   Finally fell asleep again and slept till about 4.30

Today has been a good day though as managed to stay off my bed the whole day and not so much anxiety.  It is now 6.30pm and I am feeling good.  Who knows what tomorrow will,bring 

Hope this helps and you can offer me some advice on the way forward

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Administrator

Do you take Ativan only once a day? Att @Shep

Why are you taking Cymbalta, Zyprexa, and mirtazapine at the same time at night?

Why are you taking each of these drugs?

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Yes I take Ativan once a day in the morning.  The psychiatrist I saw told me to take the other 3 pills at night before goimg to,bed.

i have put the drugs in the drug Interactions checker and see that some have major interactions.  I don’t know what to do about this other then to try and taper off slowly off all,of,them.  I am very very scared of what is happening to me.  

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Administrator

Please post the link to the drug interactions report here.

How long have you been taking each of these drugs? In your daily notes, please also show the dosage you're taking for each drug.

I have been taking these drugs since July last year.  I am having to taper all at once as I have no medical insurance and the pills are not available in the country I live in.   As I am having to taper all at once are you able to give me any advice.  

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

I am currently on 1.4 mg zyprexa, 19.8mg cymbalta, 6.2 mg mirtazapine and .45 mg Ativan.   

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 2/9/2020 at 11:49 AM, Worthy said:

4.30 am.  Woke up with high anxiety.  Lay awake in bed for 2 hours 

6.30 am.  Took .45mg Ativan 

Worthy, how do you feel before and after you take the Ativan? Does it take away the anxiety? 

No the Ativan does not seem to help at all.  It does not decrease my anxiety.  

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

Have you been on drugs.  Please can you elaborate if you have.  I need to get off them 

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Worthy said:

Have you been on drugs.  Please can you elaborate if you have.  I need to get off them 

Yes, all of the admins and moderators have been on these drugs and we're either in the process of coming off or are completely drug free now.

19 hours ago, Worthy said:

No the Ativan does not seem to help at all.  It does not decrease my anxiety.  

What time of the day does your anxiety go away? How many hours are you sleeping at night? Please keep posting a daily drug and symptoms journal. 

• Administrator

Worthy, if you cannot get continued prescriptions for your drugs, not sure how we can help you. We advocate careful tapering of one drug at a time. This requires a prescription throughout the process.

If you've made cuts in all your drugs at once, you're already probably suffering from withdrawal symptoms from any or all of them. Further reductions likely will make withdrawal worse.

Given all your choices are bad, if I were you, I'd go off Cymbalta first, tapering as best you can by taking beads out of the capsule, while staying on Zyprexa, mirtazapine, and Ativan. When you're off Cymbalta for a month, I'd taper mirtazapine. After that, Zypreza. Ativan would be last.

This is by no means a good plan that will help you avoid withdrawal syndrome, but it may enable you to sleep through most of the tapering.

Taking Cymbalta, Zyprexa, and mirtazapine together at night makes no sense at all. For your own information, put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Thank you for your reply.  You indicate that whatever I do it will ever a bad plan.  If by some miracle I was able to get more pills do you think I would still have bad withdrawals.   Seems like i am in a bad place whatever I do.  Is it worth trying to taper one at a time if it is still going to be bad.  I would really appreciate your reply.

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Given all your choices are bad, if I were you, I'd go off Cymbalta first, tapering as best you can by taking beads out of the capsule, while staying on Zyprexa, mirtazapine, and Ativan. When you're off Cymbalta for a month, I'd taper mirtazapine. After that, Zypreza. Ativan would be last.

This is by no means a good plan that will help you avoid withdrawal syndrome, but it may enable you to sleep through most of the tapering.

Worthy, please read Alto's post. She's given you the best way off these drugs in order to help you sleep throughout your taper. 

Given your circumstances, this is the best plan we can offer you. 

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Worthy said:

Thank you for your reply.  You indicate that whatever I do it will ever a bad plan.  If by some miracle I was able to get more pills do you think I would still have bad withdrawals.   Seems like i am in a bad place whatever I do.  Is it worth trying to taper one at a time if it is still going to be bad.  I would really appreciate your reply.

We always advise tapering one drug at a time and at a slow rate. More pills are always needed for this. The reason we advise this is to minimize withdrawal symptoms, otherwise there would be no point to it.

Since you already have withdrawal symptoms, your body is telling you you're going too fast. How convincing is this for you? You'll have to decide.

We cannot solve your problem of going off 4 drugs in a short amount of time. There is no good way to do this.

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Taking Cymbalta, Zyprexa, and mirtazapine together at night makes no sense at all. For your own information, put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody had success with multi tapering?  I need help with my multi taper as I no longer have medical insurance and my dr thinks I should be able to quit all my drugs in a few months so will no longer give me a script.  I live in Zimbabwe Africa so no Rx available.  I am taking cymbalta, remeron, zyirexa and Ativan.  Is anybody able to help or advise me on the best way to go. 

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

Sorry I have just sent a new topic post about multi tapering.  I know I have asked this before but I want to know if there is anybody who has multi tapered.  I know it is not recommended but asking on the off chance if anybody has done this.   

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Worthy, @Worthy,

Here's our general topic in this forum on:  Taking multiple psych drugs?Which drug to taper first?

It doesn't address the problem of not be able to get scripts continued though, and I will also quote this post into your Introduction Topic, to give you some further input/ideas there.  As to how to possibly talk to your doctor to extend your prescriptions, so you can do a safer, harm reduction taper.

And then maybe a member knowledgeable, around how to get help, obtaining prescriptions,  in your country, may have ideas as to how to get help to cover prescription costs, without insurance.

That's the best I can do, at this point, given that this is an internet forum.

Best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

9 hours ago, Worthy said:

Has anybody had success with multi tapering?  I need help with my multi taper as I no longer have medical insurance and my dr thinks I should be able to quit all my drugs in a few months so will no longer give me a script.  I live in Zimbabwe Africa so no Rx available.  I am taking cymbalta, remeron, zyirexa and Ativan.  Is anybody able to help or advise me on the best way to go. 

Hi Worthy, @Worthy

I did leave your post in tapering, as well as quoted it here.

One idea is to tell your doctor you need to continue on your scripts, as they are.  And ask doctor or someone in doctor's office to help you find a way to afford your present prescriptions.  I am not at all knowledgeable around how helping those without medical insurance works in your country. 

Maybe a member will turn up, that is.

And then if your prescriptions continue, or you find a way for them to continue without doing rapid tapers of all of them at once......AND you can do a more methodological, harm reduction taper,  if you would, then attend to the information given to you above. 

Check your drug interactions, post that here. 

Do a signature, as asked.  Note drugs by name, when started, any recent changes in drugs, and dosages.  See the links, already provided.

Tell us what you take, with the time on the left, and then the drug name,. and dosage on the right.  Also note symptoms you might have now, on the right as well.

Okay, best I can do in reply.

L, P, H, and G,

moderator mmt

10 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Worthy, @Worthy

I did leave your post in tapering, as well as quoted it here.

One idea is to tell your doctor you need to continue on your scripts, as they are.  And ask doctor or someone in doctor's office to help you find a way to afford your present prescriptions.  I am not at all knowledgeable around how helping those without medical insurance works in your country. 

Maybe a member will turn up, that is.

And then if your prescriptions continue, or you find a way for them to continue without doing rapid tapers of all of them at once......AND you can do a more methodological, harm reduction taper,  if you would, then attend to the information given to you above. 

Check your drug interactions, post that here. 

Do a signature, as asked.  Note drugs by name, when started, any recent changes in drugs, and dosages.  See the links, already provided.

Tell us what you take, with the time on the left, and then the drug name,. and dosage on the right.  Also note symptoms you might have now, on the right as well.

Okay, best I can do in reply.

L, P, H, and G,

moderator mmt

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022

Thank you for your reply.  I am unable to get a supply of my drugs so guess I will just have to continue on my own as best I can.  Is it better to continue as I am by reducing 2% every 2 weeks or should I just go cold turkey.  

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 2/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, Altostrata said:

If you've made cuts in all your drugs at once, you're already probably suffering from withdrawal symptoms from any or all of them. Further reductions likely will make withdrawal worse.

Tips for tapering Cymbalta(duloxetine)

please take a look at the first post and the bead counting method

And you'll find that the Cymbalta may last longer than you thought, if you carefully store and label the unused beads too.

6 hours ago, Worthy said:

Thank you for your reply.  I am unable to get a supply of my drugs so guess I will just have to continue on my own as best I can.  Is it better to continue as I am by reducing 2% every 2 weeks or should I just go cold turkey.  

Worthy, if you have been reducing all your 4 drugs, you should have some remainders that can be used now, for dosing.  I can't give you any better advice than what has already been given. 

And no, please try NOT to CT off 4 drugs at once.  My gosh!  I am sure hoping you have some kind of support system, to help you, and support you through a really tough situation right now. 

When did you start all these drugs, anyway?  ^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!  A signature would help us out a lot.

Try and keep us updated, okay?  And don't give up hope that something may come through for you, to NOT have to take such drastic measures with your health.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thanks.  I am tapering at 2% every two weeks and will continue to,do this for at least another year as I have enough medication for me to do this,   I am currently on 1.24 mg zyprexa, 13.7 mg cymbalta, 5.5 mg mirtazapine, .38 mg Ativan.   I know the advice is to taper only one at a time but if I am likely to run out due to unavailability surely it is better to do a slow, taper on all of them at once rather than having to go cold turkey at the end?  I know my situation is unique due to my circumstances but do you think I will be ok.  I started these drugs in July last year and started tapering in August.   I am very very scared 😱 

August 05
cymbalta. 12.36 mg
 mirtazapine 2.8 mg
August 9
August 15th
dose unchanged 
1st May 2022