SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Success stories from DR / derealisation / cognitive impairment

Hopefuly1

Hi guys! i would love to see a success story with people who recovered from derealisationand cognitive impairment caused by SSRI,  as i cannot see anything around here.

Thank you

April 2018 50 mg sertraline

May 2018 100mg sertraline
June 2018 200mg sertraline
July 2018 Cold Turkey
August 2018 Withdrawal
September 2018 Withdrawal
October  2018 20mg Citalopram
November 2018 40 mg Citalopram
December 2018 40 mg Citalopram
January 2019 10 mg Escitalopram
February 2019 10 mg Escitalopram March 2019 5 mg Escitalopram for 3 weeks then cold turkey April 2019 Withdrawal , May 2019 5 mg escitalopram taken by mistake with supplements

• ChessieCat changed the title to Success Stories from DR / derealisation / cognitive impairment

I’d be interested in these comments as I have had DP and DR for five years. I want to know if I ought to be relying on just time to heal from it.... ? 

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

I am so sorry to heart that Daisy. 

Before starting medication for my anxiety i have waited for it to pass 3 years, i am wondering if it is the same thing with dp/dr just waiting to pass but it wont. 

I hope we will all heal

July 2018 Cold Turkey
August 2018 Withdrawal
February 2019 10 mg Escitalopram March 2019 5 mg Escitalopram for 3 weeks then cold turkey April 2019 Withdrawal , May 2019 5 mg escitalopram taken by mistake with supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

This is from GiaK's website:

https://beyondmeds.com/2007/03/09/depersonalization-and-derealization/

She withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.  This is her SA Success Story:  giak-radical-transformative-healing-of-bodymindspirit

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

CC I had a look at GiaK story but see nothing on healing from DPDR after 5 + years

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I had profound dissociation, depersonalization and derealization for three years. I did recover. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Success stories from DR / derealisation / cognitive impairment
14 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

I had profound dissociation, depersonalization and derealization for three years. I did recover. 

Hello Sky! 

May i ask if you had also cognitive impairment? 

Happy that you are healed

July 2018 Cold Turkey
August 2018 Withdrawal

Yes I had impaired cognition.  I still have a degree of memory loss but it's way improved over where it was. The dissociative problems are all gone too, long gone.

I took many kinds of drugs I should add some of them are very well known to cause serious memory problems, like benzos.  So please don't assume your impairment is as severe as mine was, it is not that likely to be as bad. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Petunia was asked this question in her Introduction topic.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:42 AM, Amira123 said:

Hello Petunia 

did the despersonalization go away completely? Do you feel connected to life now and present?

Petunia's response:

29 minutes ago, Petunia said:

Yes it did, DP/DR was one of my worst symptoms, adding to other symptoms which kept me housebound for a long time. I remember it would go away during windows, and the relief I felt when I was able to again feel connected with life around me, other people and with myself. Then it would cruelly return when the window closed, and I would once again feel frozen and trapped inside a thick bubble, isolated from everything which is alive including myself.

I feel deeply connected with life now, and it hasn't changed in a long time. There's a slightly different experience of it now, different from how it used to be. The connection I have with life is changing from being personal into something which feels more like I'm part of what I'm connected with rather than being separate from. Even my connection with myself is no longer personal, it's deeper, more meaningful, but less personal.

Previously, before withdrawal, I would only feel fully present sometimes. Lots of things I did in life were distractions from uncomfortable emotions or situations, I often didn't want to be present to the reality which was going on, either outside of me or inside. I didn't realize how much of life I was avoiding, it was all unconscious back then. During withdrawal I learned how to use distraction in a conscious way, so I had a choice, those withdrawal symptoms get intolerable at times and distraction is the only way to get through. I think perhaps DP/DR is one of our brain's survival systems, designed or evolved to protect us from reality when it becomes too overwhelming to tolerate, until we learn how to consciously use this technique and then ultimately transcend our need for using it.

And a further question:

18 minutes ago, Amira123 said:

How long did it take for the DP to go away completley?

And Petunia's response:

4 minutes ago, Petunia said:

I don't know, it was such a slow process, and it would come and go and come and go, and each time it would come back, it would be less intense, usually, but not always. Then it would come back mildly, so I wouldn't notice it as much, or maybe I was getting used to it. For all I know, I still have it, but I'm so used to it, I don't even realize 🙃  But seriously, it's been about 2 years since I remember experiencing it, so I would say about 5 years before it left and stayed away for good. But it wasn't awful for the whole 5 years, after the first 2 years, the experience of it was much more tolerable than when it was at it's worst, always unpleasant, but not so bad it would send me running home, back to the safety of my room, every time I tried to go out.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy