treadingwater: adverse reaction from 11 days of Zoloft / sertraline

treadingwater

Reaching out for some support.  My doctor prescribed sertraline for generalized anxiety.  I took 3 days at 12.5 mg, 3 days of 25 mg, 4 days of 37.5 mg, and 1 day of 50 mg.   I was extremely sick from the start with nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, and a fast heart rate. I kept reading how things would turn around after a couple of weeks and the side effects would go away so I didn't stop.  At the bump to 25 mg, I had a panic attack which I was able to control with lorazepam.  At the bump to 50 mg, I was so sick and desperate that I went to the ER hoping for some relief.  I had a 10 hour panic attack which the lorazepam wouldn't touch.  The ER doctor was dismissive that this was just a regular anxiety attack and not an adverse reaction.  He gave me a dose of Zofran to help with the intense nausea.  I'm not sure why, but that had either no effect or made the nausea worse.  I was sent home with instructions to follow-up with my primary care and to continue taking the sertraline as directed and use the lorazepam.  I decided on my own to discontinue the sertraline.  It's clear to me that my body/brain finds it toxic.  It's been 6 days since I last took the sertraline.  I'm still having significant nausea and dizziness.  I can hardly eat.  I can only sip ice water.  I'm having vivid nightmares, which reinforces to me that I've changed my brain chemistry in a major way.  I'm trying not to let that freak me out, but honestly it does.  The mornings are the worst.  I wake up and have to lay on my arms because they feel so wired.  I'm struggling right now.  

My doctor's nurse said the symptoms could last a couple of weeks.  I've read it could be longer than that.  I'm trying not to focus on how long this will last because it's not helpful and makes the anxiety worse.  I've ordered some fish oil and magnesium and it should be here tomorrow.  I'm not sure that there's anything else that can be done other than trying to surround myself with other people so I'm not going through this alone.  I'm feeling judged, ashamed, angry, and about a dozen other emotions towards the doctors right now.  I know that's not helpful.  It's just where I'm at.  

Sertraline (Adverse Reaction)

August 2019:  3 days @ 12.5mg, 3 days @ 25 mg, 4 days @ 37.5 mg, 1 day @ 50 mg

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

Acetaminophen 1000 mg at night for Frozen Shoulder Pain

• ChessieCat changed the title to treadingwater: adverse reaction from 11 days of Zoloft / sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, treading water, and welcome to SA.

You had an adverse reaction to the Sertraline and you were wise to stop.  Doctors know so little about these drugs, and you're not alone in feeling angry.  Your attitude is very good and that will serve you well as you heal.  The damage is not permanent.

Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, wrote the following about adverse reactions and the timeline for healing:

"I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had an Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  Yet they are suffering very acute symptoms.  This is an Adverse Reaction, acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.

The good news is that their body will sort itself out and they will return to normal.  The bad news is, it’s going to take a long time and there is nothing that will speed up the process.  There are a lot of coping strategies and tools that will help soften the experience, but time is the only thing that will cure it.  By time, we are looking at a minimum of eighteen months, but more than likely two to three years for a full recovery

That may sound very bleak, but it’s not going to all be pain and suffering.  These people tend to have a more liner recovery. The first several months will be acute.  Then things start to improve is a noticeable manner, with life starting to resume and get back on track.  All the members I have known have made full recoveries.  They then go on to graduate college, attend med school, and start successful careers in a variety of fields."

Regarding the magnesium and omegas, start one at a time and at a low dose to make sure there are no negative reactions.

We strongly recommend using non-drug techniques to deal with your symptoms.  Take a look at the links included in the following link and see which techniques you feel might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introductory topic, where you can connect with other members, ask questions and post updates.  You';re not alone, and we're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

You should be proud that you took yourself off it after 11 days & recognised it was an adverse reaction & not normal start up side effects. Some people would have pushed on for weeks/months. Hopefully you’ve prevented further damage. I have no other advice to offer (as I’m not a mod), but I wish you well & just use the Lorazepam sparingly 

Mirtazipine - 2013 (12months) - COLD TURKEY - NO SIDE EFFECTS
Zoloft - 2014 (6 weeks) - ADVERSE REACTION!!!

Currently only take 5mg Valium on a as needed basis (once a month)

Current symptoms - Sensitive CNS, Tinnitus, Insomnia, Erectile Dysfunction, Feel terrible every single day, No emotions, HELL!

Thank you, Gridley. 

I have seen small improvement in the last 24 hours. I wasn’t able to watch TV due to the movement making the dizziness worse. I’m now able to watch TV, though I can’t handle seeing anything with food.  Anything food related is revolting.  Hopefully the nausea improves next. It’s unrelenting and I’ve already lost 10 pounds. 

Mornings are still awful. The creepy crawly feeling in my arms is lessening and I don’t have to lay on them. So I guess I’m grateful tonight that I’m moving in the right direction. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, treadingwater said:

I have seen small improvement in the last 24 hours.

That is great news.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, William said:

You should be proud that you took yourself off it after 11 days & recognised it was an adverse reaction & not normal start up side effects. Some people would have pushed on for weeks/months. Hopefully you’ve prevented further damage. I have no other advice to offer (as I’m not a mod), but I wish you well & just use the Lorazepam sparingly 

Thanks, William. At this point, I’m anxious that anything I take will have the opposite reaction so I’m staying clear of the lorazepam.  It’s an old prescription from a 2018 medical procedure and not a medicine I regularly use. Before this, I hadn’t had an anxiety attack in years. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

Quick update

I can see again!  My blurry vision has finally cleared up. 

Dizziness isn’t 24/7 any longer. I get really strong swirls of dizziness where I feel like I’m falling over, but this is an improvement. 

I’m still nauseated. This is my most persistent symptom. 

The insomnia and nightmares are still happening. Mornings are the worst. I wake up and my heart is racing and it takes me an hour to pull myself out of the sick dread I’m feeling.  This used to take 3 hours, so again that’s improvement. 

My 16 year old daughter talked me into doing a couple’s massage with her. That was a huge mistake. I don’t know what I was thinking. Even the lightest touch sent nerve shocks down my legs (so weird and unpleasant) and the whole experience was very claustrophobic.  I love massages so this was uncharacteristic of me. 

My husband has been encouraging me to go to the gym.  I was working out every day before this happened. I have no endurance and my balance is a big problem right now. I did manage to cycle for 20 minutes before my heart rate shot up too high. Since the sertraline, my resting heart rate is 100+. They did an EKG in the ER and it was fine, just a fast heart rate.  I’m faint/dizzy/lightheaded at rest so I’m not sure how much I can or should do. My anxiety spiked afterwards. Probably due to worry about my heart rate and feeling frustrated with how little I can do. 

It’s hard to believe all of this is from a med reaction.  

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Treading

You are doing all the right things, maybe just a bit too much, too soon.

Cycling with poor balance is not a good idea:rolleyes:, try walking instead and find your ideal pace.

You are doing very well but you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and there is no way to hurry it along.

You will mend much sooner than most and your good sense has saved you more than you can imagine.

Be gentle on yourself.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Sassenach said:

Hi Treading

You are doing all the right things, maybe just a bit too much, too soon.

Cycling with poor balance is not a good idea:rolleyes:, try walking instead and find your ideal pace.

You are doing very well but you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and there is no way to hurry it along.

You will mend much sooner than most and your good sense has saved you more than you can imagine.

Be gentle on yourself.

Sassenach

I was on the stationary sitting cycle so there’s no balance involved.  I suppose I could still fall off but that would be unlikely :)  Walking is dicier at this point than sitting.  

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice one,, still advice stands.

Treat yourself gently.

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hanging in there. It’s been about 2.5 weeks since I stopped the sertraline. I’m still experiencing nausea and dizziness though it’s much less. I’ve had an increase in anxiety. I’m not sleeping well.  Last night, I was worried the symptoms were cancer related and not the adverse reaction to sertraline. I know this is the anxiety overriding my thought process. In the midst of it, though, I started thinking that the nurse said my symptoms should only last a couple of weeks so it MUST be something like cancer. Anyways, this morning I can look back and see it for what it is. 

I still cannot exercise and that distresses me. I walked on the treadmill yesterday. My balance isn’t good so I had to hang on and the disequilibrium was much worse when I finished.  I walked for 30 minutes but really struggled with feeling sick and panicky at the 25 minute mark.  Exercise has always helped my anxiety and it’s very frustrating to have it trigger symptoms.  

Before I started taking the sertraline, I asked my husband to attend couples therapy. We have our first session tonight. I’m not sure I feel well enough. I’m going to go anyway and hope I can participate and it ultimately helps our communication.   We’ve really been struggling lately and that’s why I tried the sertraline to begin with.  I think I went to my doctor just looking for someone to acknowledge that I’m going through a really tough time.  I wasn’t experiencing anything like panic attacks or insomnia.  I didn’t need the SSRI. I needed a referral to counseling.  The irony of this is that now I get to deal with the same life problems while feeling a thousand times worse. 

Ending on a positive note.....That floaty, out of body feeling is mostly gone.  

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

I have a question. Hopefully one of the moderators can answer. 

I was diagnosed with mast cell activation about a year ago. Alcohol was my only trigger and I am fine as long as I don’t drink.  When I was walking on the treadmill today, I’m 99.9% sure I had mast cell activation. Any idea why a post SSRI reaction would make me more sensitive to mast cell activation? It’s weird that exercise wasn’t a trigger before but seems to be now. I got head to toe intensely itchy while on the treadmill and then my heart rate spiked and the panicky feelings started. This is what happens when I drink alcohol. The mast cell activation was confirmed with pre and post alcohol exposure blood tests. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, treadingwater.

Withdrawal syndrome often makes people hypersensitive to many things that didn't bother them previously.

We don't know much about mast cell activation here. You might join one of the many groups on Facebook to find out how to manage it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning.  Here’s my update. I’m probably 75% back to normal. I had a major setback yesterday though. I got a call back on my mammogram for more testing so that triggered some anxiety.  The dizziness and nausea came back with a vengeance and I fought panic attacks all afternoon and evening. I took .25mg of lorazepam, which barely helped.   My follow-up testing isn’t until Tuesday so I need to hold it together until then.

Current symptoms:

anxiety

nausea

lack of appetite

dizziness that was mostly resolved until yesterday

exercise intolerance  

I had my annual eye exam yesterday. My vision has gotten worse. I thought it had returned to normal, but both eyes were worse. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• 3 weeks later...

In a lot of ways, I don't really belong on this forum.  I'm not tapering.  It's so hard to believe that a short stint and subsequent reaction on an SSRI can cause weeks long problems.  

Here's my update:  I took a big step backwards due to the anxiety over my abnormal mammogram.  What followed was more testing, waiting for results, and even more testing and waiting and worrying about breast cancer.  I've really come to loathe how patient unfriendly the process can be at times.  Thankfully, the 2 masses that were concerning are benign.  The worry caused the dizziness and nausea to come back. 

Current symptoms:

anxiety (strongest symptom)

lack of appetite

dizziness and nausea (resolving)

exercise intolerance (resolving slowly)

I can't exercise 2 days in a row, but I can do 30 minutes every other day on the elliptical.  That's huge for me.  I was at the gym every day before the zoloft reaction and I really miss it.  Going 2 days in a row triggers intense anxiety.  It's such a bizarre response to something that is good for my body.  I'm going to switch over to swimming laps and see if helps get me to a daily workout.  I can feel the sensory overload when I'm on the elliptical or treadmill and I think that will be avoided in the pool.  

I also stopped taking magnesium, Omega 3, and vitamin D.  I really think it's the exercise causing the anxiety but I honestly am not sure and was seriously worried about everything in my environment causing a problem.   

Ending on a positive note:  There was a day last week I was able to multitask at work. The curtains lifted on my brain fog for a day.  

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• 7 months later...

Hi treading water!

How are you doing lately?

I hope you are doing better!!

Cheers

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold / 08apr 1.38 mg / 15apr 1.36 mg / 20apr 1.34 mg

4 hours ago, jozeff said:

Hi treading water!

How are you doing lately?

I hope you are doing better!!

Cheers

Jozeff

I’m hanging in there!  Living life even with the few remaining symptoms I still have. It’s mostly anxiety, dizziness, insomnia, and digestive problems. I’m still having histamine issues. Some days I just feel weird, like a little out of body. I have to force myself to eat most days and I never know how the food is going to be tolerated. I can tolerate workouts 4 days a week for 30 minutes. Huge improvement to my early days. 

I’m a small business owner and my business was forced to close due to COVID19.  The stress caused a resurgence in symptoms so I started reading books by Dr Claire Weeks, Dr Harry Barry, Barry McDonagh, and others.  I’ve had some really hard days mentally, but I do feel like I’ve made a breakthrough with the acceptance of my symptoms and coming to grips with the long term nature of the adverse reaction.  Other things I’ve done to help are journaling, guided meditation, and being out in nature as frequently as possible. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, treadingwater. You do belong here, we have a group of people who have taken a long time to recover from briefly taking an antidepressant, with symptoms that are very much like the nervous system dysregulation of withdrawal syndrome.

The same gentle remedies apply. What is your sleep schedule? See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please do let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Good to hear from you, treadingwater. You do belong here, we have a group of people who have taken a long time to recover from briefly taking an antidepressant, with symptoms that are very much like the nervous system dysregulation of withdrawal syndrome.

The same gentle remedies apply. What is your sleep schedule? See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please do let us know how you're doing.

I don’t know how much of the adverse effect is still causing the insomnia, honestly. I am working through a frozen shoulder which is painful and I’m under a lot of stress from trying to keep my business from closing forever due to COVID.  Stress and pain are a bad combination for sleep. 

I take around 1 mg of melatonin 30 minutes before bed. No caffeine or alcohol. I put my phone away usually an hour before bed. I keep the thermostat turned down. I never nap during the day. I’m only in my bed when I’m ready to sleep. I’m getting about 5-6 hours of interrupted sleep (waking up 3-4 times) a night. 

I take magnesium each morning. I might try taking it in the evening to see if that helps. I can’t tolerate fish oil (so weird!) but I do eat salmon a couple of times a week. I workout 4 times a week in the morning. I sleep better on the days I workout. 

I also take vitamin d3 in the morning and I do find it gives me energy. I’m clinically low so need to bring my level up. If it’s sunny out, I skip the pill and sit in the sun for 30 minutes.  I know D3 isn’t a supplement that is recommended and it is activating, but I feel like it’s necessary right now to get my level up. 

Typical night:

11:00 pm in bed

11:30 pm  fall asleep

2:30 am wake up

3:30 am fall back asleep

4:30 am wake up

5:30 am fall asleep

6:30 am wake up 

Thanks for all the links. I’ll take a look and see if I can do anything else. If I’m missing something, please let me know. 

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• Administrator

No, vitamin D3 can be good for you, but it's a daytime vitamin and should be taken in the morning. Some people are so sensitive to it, it disturbs their sleep.

How much vitamin D3 do you take? Do you ingest caffeine?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, Altostrata said:

No, vitamin D3 can be good for you, but it's a daytime vitamin and should be taken in the morning. Some people are so sensitive to it, it disturbs their sleep.

How much vitamin D3 do you take? Do you ingest caffeine?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

I take 1000 units of Vitamin D3 in the morning.  No caffeine.  I even stopped drinking decaf. 

When I talked to my doctor about the insomnia, he suggested I take melatonin before sleeping.  I was initially taking it after my first wake-up since falling asleep is not usually a problem. I just can't stay asleep after about 2 am.  I switched around the time I took the melatonin and acetaminophen last night and I slept pretty good.

11:30 pm:  In bed and fell asleep easily

1:30 am:  Wake Up. 1 mg melatonin and 1000 mg acetaminophen

2:00 am:  Fell back asleep

6:30 am:  Wake up

Current Meds:

Magnesium 200mg

Vitamin D3 1000 iu

Melatonin 1 mg

• 10 months later...

how are you now @treadingwater please give an update , for i  am in the same boat 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag