Tjn1011: Anafranil / clomipramine

Tjn1011

Hi I was looking for long term effects on Anafranil and came across this site.   I have been on it for over 20 years also.  I was on 75mg but now on 50mg.  I am very afraid of going off it because I am afraid to think the way I used to before I went on Anafranil.  My sex drive is so low and i have gained at least 30 pounds over the years.  But my dr. also had me on Prozac but taking both of them my anger was worse.  I am not sure what to do, i would like to be "normal' again without the need of so many pills.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed unnecessary link / background colour
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Tjn1011: Anafranil / clomipramine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tjn and welcome to SA,

It's good that you have found SA.  So that we can offer suggestions, we need to know some additional information.

Please list the drug, the time and the dose.  We need to know what drugs you are currently taking.  Please tell us about non-psychiatric drugs and supplements too.

What are you current symptoms?

Have you noticed a daily symptom pattern?

When did you reduce your Anafranil from 75mg to 50mg?  Did you taper or just go straight from 75mg to 50mg?  If you tapered, please tell us when and the doses.

Please tell us when you took Prozac (start and end) and the dose and how you stopped taking it, eg did you cold turkey or fast taper.  This information is very important because you may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping Prozac too quickly.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

Once we have the above information we will be better able to assist you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Tj.

You have already experienced some of the adverse effects of long-term antidepressant use.

This is a site for going off drugs. Do you want help tapering? We can't tell you who you'll be off drugs. You're a different person now than you were 20 years ago. You'll have to decide yourself if you want to try going off. It's best to do it slowly, to avoid withdrawal symptoms that doctors will almost always call "relapse."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.