Albert: preparing to get off Paxil / paroxetine for good

Albert

• Administrator

Minor improvement is a good sign. It may take some time for your nervous system to very gradually settle down.

However, you will still be on Paxil, and you will still have difficulty going off. Yes, we see kindling all the time, it comes from reinstating too much of a drug.

Going back all the way to 30mg is probably unnecessary, and you'll have that much more to go off.  How are you taking Paxil, a 20mg tablet plus a 10mg tablet? If so, if I were you, I'd drop the 10mg tablet and take only 20mg. Even 10mg may be sufficient. It is a strong drug.

I thought I had made it clear to substitute Prozac if you go off Paxil. But if you are dependent on Paxil from taking it for a while, a cross-taper might be preferable, where a low dose of both drugs overlaps for a few days.

Please update your signature with the date you went off Paxil and when you reinstated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
8 hours ago, Albert said:

Did you ever go into a withdrawal shock like this?  Did u have to reinstate 

I reinstated because I tapered too fast.  I strongly recommend you follow Altostrata's advice on tapering slowly and  consider cross-tapering Prozac and Paxil.  Also, check out the tapering subjects and guidelines here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/14-tapering/.  There are topics on tapering methods and tapering from specific drugs, as well as what to expect during taper and withdrawal.  There are some great resources from others who've gone through what you're experiencing. You'll also find there are many other members who've described the same kind of symptoms you're experiencing. You are not alone.

I'm not sure "withdrawal shock" is the proper term.  It frames it as an acute short-term problem.  In reality, its a slow, steady and often frustrating process.  There are no shortcuts or magic pills.  The best approach is to be well-informed and prepared with accurate information.  You did the right thing by coming here and learning from our experience, and for support.  

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• Mentor

Hi Albert

How'd you sleep last light? 

Tim C

OK, Reinstated about 5 days ago and have found very little relief, but some.  Noticing some small pockets of improvement but they only last for short period.  I am experiencing all of the symptoms of w/drawl.    Did a cross taper that did not work - tapered down over 2.5 weeks while tapering up on Cymbalta, once completely off of Paxil for about 8 to 10 days, all hell broke loose.  Settling down a little.  However, prior to this event even taking place, I was starting to notice some symptoms of imbalance, feet tingling, muscle twitching, muscle tension, urgent urination and bowel dysfunction.    I actually had a back operation as result of these symptoms and they have improved a little post opp ( maybe because I was on opiods ), However, some of them are coming back.   If one is experiencing paxil poop out, what would be some of the expected symptoms?  Would a very urgent need to urinate be one of the symptoms of Paxil poop out ?  Are the symptoms of poop out different from withdrawal or are they the same?   Is there a place documented where it would show the symptoms of each?  If I am having severe poop put and have to start tapering, should I cross taper ?  I have two boys in HS and I just have to be able to work and support my family.  Thanks a bunch.

Meds: Paroxetine, Hydrocodone, k flex, Xanax, Amatriptline, Gabapentin

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

• Administrator

Please do not start additional topics in the Introductions forum. Add all questions and updates to this topic.

You cannot have Paxil withdrawal and Paxil poop-out at the same time.

You may be expecting too much from Paxil reinstatement. All we expect is very minor improvement at first and gradual stabilization over weeks or months.

Did you read this?

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I guess I wasn't clear. It appears to me you have Paxil withdrawal syndrome. Cymbalta is a red herring.

Paxil is very, very difficult to go off. You went off too fast with your doctor's ill-advised switch to Cymbalta WHILE YOU WERE TAPERING OPIOIDS.

Your doctor knows very little about tapering and nothing about withdrawal. It's bad medical practice to change more than one drug at a time. It's possible you have opioid withdrawal, too.

We don't deal with opioid adverse effects or withdrawal here. You went off 2 drugs at once, you've been on and off others, nobody can tell where your present symptoms come from.

We don't have any instant remedies. It may be that you, like millions of other people, may have to cope with drug adverse effects for a while until your nervous system settles down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was actually having some of these symptoms prior to stopping Paxil.  Is it possible that someone can start to experience w/drawl symptoms while still taking the medication?  Is that possible?  I know that there is poop put, but could the symptoms be the same?  Thanks Albert

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

Still No Relief

Dr did a quick taper changing me from 30 mg Paxil as it was starting to poop out. Tried to taper me from Paxil to Cymbalta by dropping me off Paxil in 2 weeks and then holding me at 30mg Cymbalta for 1 month and upping to 60 at end of month. I made it to the end of the month and took two capsles of Cymbalta 60 and then completely freaked out!!! ER 2 times. He advised to cut Cymbalta all together and re-instate the Paxil at 30mg. Need HELP really bad. Has anyone had this happen? I am on day 6 now with no relief. The symptoms seem to worsen at times.  Head completely spinning. I see that sometimes cross tapering to a drug with a longer half life can help and then make it easier to get off of them all together. There is no way I can function like this. Anyone out there had a similar experience and was there any way out at all ?  I see my Dr Wednesday morning and need to be ready.  Thanks for any input.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Albert, please stop creating new topics.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions.  This keeps all your information in one place.  The mods regularly check the Introduction forum.  Posts made elsewhere on the site may be overlooked.

Alto has previously requested you to "add questions and updates to this topic".

Each member has their own Introduction topic where they ask questions, journal their progress and connect with the community.

This explains more about the Introduction topic:

On 12/5/2010 at 11:07 AM, Altostrata said:

Each person's Introduction topic is important to the site:

- We can keep track of how you are doing by reading your intro topic.

- These are informal case histories and progress reports. They will be invaluable for visitors to the site who may be suffering the same symptom pattern that you are.

- You will not have to keep explaining your history.

- By keeping reports of individual developments in the intro topics, proliferation of topics will be reduced.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto is this site's owner.  SA was started in 2011.

This is what Alto stated above:

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You went off 2 drugs at once, you've been on and off others, nobody can tell where your present symptoms come from.

She also stated:

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We don't have any instant remedies. It may be that you, like millions of other people, may have to cope with drug adverse effects for a while until your nervous system settles down.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Albert said:

I was actually having some of these symptoms prior to stopping Paxil.  Is it possible that someone can start to experience w/drawl symptoms while still taking the medication?  Is that possible?  I know that there is poop put, but could the symptoms be the same?  Thanks Albert

Did you occasionally forget to take a dose? You were also taking an opioid, correct? Maybe other drugs as well?

Whether you had Paxil poop-out or not is not relevant to your withdrawal symptoms, if that's what you have. We don't suggest reinstatement to treat depression, we don't do that here. We suggest low-dose reinstatement to lessen withdrawal syndrome.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Did you occasionally forget to take a dose? You were also taking an opioid, correct? Maybe other drugs as well?

Whether you had Paxil poop-out or not is not relevant to your withdrawal symptoms, if that's what you have. We don't suggest reinstatement to treat depression, we don't do that here. We suggest low-dose reinstatement to lessen withdrawal syndrome.

I have had a major back surgery at only 45 years old. As of April 16th I was tapering down from my pain meds as scheduled.  Made it down to three 5 mg tablets of hydro daily and was preparing for another drop.  On April 16th, my do decided to change my medication from Paxil 30 mg ( been on for over 20 years ) to Cymbalta because it contains an agent that helps with post surgery nerve pain.  I filled the prescription and started it that Monday on the 20th of April - 30 mg once daily.  At that same time, he directed me to take 15 mg Paxil for 7 days, then drop to 10 mg for 7 days, then quit.  I actually took 5 mg for a few days to taper it out just slightly more.  That would have made my final day on Paxil between the 8-10th of May.  On June 3rd is when everything really started to hit.  That is when my Dr discontinued the Cymbalta and put me straight back on my original dose of 30 mg Paxil.  Now I am experiencing all of the below symptoms.  I am just not sure what to do.  I know my ultimate goal is to get completely off of these drugs.  However, the symptoms are so intense that I can't even work or focus.  I have two kids in HS and I am the primary provider.  Should I just ride it out at this point and see if it settles down?  Do you think that I could have kindled and if so, what does that mean for me?  Thank you so much for me?  Should I go back on Cymbalta?  With your experience, what would be best option for stabilizing at this point so that I can gain control and even attempt the slow taper. 

• Bowl dysfunction

• Tiny muscle twitches and electrical shocks that can be body wide.

• Small burning nerve impulses behind my eyes

• Frequent episodes of head pressure anywhere along forehead or side of head.

• Tight jaw and grinding teeth

• Urgent Urination and some minor leakage when stopping stream.

• Frequent small and intense bouts of nausea that comes and goes

• Pins and needles up and down arms, legs and into scrotum

• Severe cognitive impairment

• Inability to focus

• Vision Changes

• Feeling off balance

• Muscle Spasticity and burning ( Backs of Legs )

• Hot and Cold Flashes

• Lock Jaw and Grinding Teeth

• Taste and Smell Changes

• Racing Thoughts

• Extreme feelings of Anxiety

• Noise in ears

• Completely unable to stay still for any length of time

• Insomnia – Only sleeping about 4 hours per night

•   Thanks Albert

4 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

She also stated:

I have had a major back surgery at only 45 years old. As of April 16th I was tapering down from my pain meds as scheduled.  Made it down to three 5 mg tablets of hydro daily and was preparing for another drop.  On April 16th, my do decided to change my medication from Paxil 30 mg ( been on for over 20 years ) to Cymbalta because it contains an agent that helps with post surgery nerve pain.  I filled the prescription and started it that Monday on the 20th of April - 30 mg once daily.  At that same time, he directed me to take 15 mg Paxil for 7 days, then drop to 10 mg for 7 days, then quit.  I actually took 5 mg for a few days to taper it out just slightly more.  That would have made my final day on Paxil between the 8-10th of May.  On June 3rd is when everything really started to hit.  That is when my Dr discontinued the Cymbalta and put me straight back on my original dose of 30 mg Paxil.  Now I am experiencing all of the below symptoms.  I am just not sure what to do.  I know my ultimate goal is to get completely off of these drugs.  However, the symptoms are so intense that I can't even work or focus.  I have two kids in HS and I am the primary provider.  Should I just ride it out at this point and see if it settles down?  Do you think that I could have kindled and if so, what does that mean for me?  Thank you so much for me?  Should I go back on Cymbalta?  With your experience, what would be best option for stabilizing at this point so that I can gain control and even attempt the slow taper. 

• Bowl dysfunction

• Inability to focus

• Vision Changes

• Feeling off balance

• Hot and Cold Flashes

• Racing Thoughts

• Noise in ears

•   Thanks Albert

15 hours ago, mstimc said:

Hi Albert

How'd you sleep last light? 

I got a little more sleep last night.  Maybe 6 hours, but that was about it.   Pretty awful day today though.  I still had all of these symptoms.

• Bowl dysfunction

• Inability to focus

• Vision Changes

• Feeling off balance

• Hot and Cold Flashes

• Racing Thoughts

• Noise in ears

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:56 AM, mstimc said:

I reinstated because I tapered too fast.  I strongly recommend you follow Altostrata's advice on tapering slowly and  consider cross-tapering Prozac and Paxil.  Also, check out the tapering subjects and guidelines here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/14-tapering/.  There are topics on tapering methods and tapering from specific drugs, as well as what to expect during taper and withdrawal.  There are some great resources from others who've gone through what you're experiencing. You'll also find there are many other members who've described the same kind of symptoms you're experiencing. You are not alone.

I'm not sure "withdrawal shock" is the proper term.  It frames it as an acute short-term problem.  In reality, its a slow, steady and often frustrating process.  There are no shortcuts or magic pills.  The best approach is to be well-informed and prepared with accurate information.  You did the right thing by coming here and learning from our experience, and for support.  

If you don't mind me asking, when you re-instated, how long did it take you to balance back out so that you could start your taper?  Thanks

If you don't mind me asking, when you re-instated, how long did it take you to balance back out so that you could start your taper?  Thanks

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

She also stated:

Can you tell me how I would update / change my signature ?  Did you get a chance to review my timeline and do you think I will level back out.  I have a call today w/Dr at 12:00 and I hate to say it, but not sure I have a lot of trust in him currently.  Thanks

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:25 AM, mstimc said:

Insomnia sucks.  Just a word of advice--lack of sleep spikes your cortisol and adrenaline, so people tend to catastrophize a lot more than they would otherwise. 

Anything that helps with the Insomnia?  I am not regular THC user, but is that a NO NO? 

Anything that helps with the Insomnia?  I am not regular THC user, but is that a NO NO

18 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

She also stated:

Really need some advice. I just got off phone w/DR and reviewed what is going on.  He is suspect of serotonin syndrome.  He actually recommended dropping my Paxil from 30 to 20.  I was completely off of it for a few weeks and then he initially put me back up to 30 mg and I have been there for 6 days.  He is now advising that since I have had no relief to drop down to 20 mg and try to hold there to see if we can wash it out of system.  He claims that he has been in practice for 12 years and he makes these medication changes like this all of the time.  Your thoughts?

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Albert said:

On April 16th, my do decided to change my medication from Paxil 30 mg ( been on for over 20 years ) to Cymbalta because it contains an agent that helps with post surgery nerve pain.  I filled the prescription and started it that Monday on the 20th of April - 30 mg once daily.  At that same time, he directed me to take 15 mg Paxil for 7 days, then drop to 10 mg for 7 days, then quit.  I actually took 5 mg for a few days to taper it out just slightly more.  That would have made my final day on Paxil between the 8-10th of May.  On June 3rd is when everything really started to hit.  That is when my Dr discontinued the Cymbalta and put me straight back on my original dose of 30 mg Paxil.  Now I am experiencing all of the below symptoms. 

Yes, we get it that you have Paxil withdrawal syndrome and you reinstated Paxil. You were also tapering an opioid. It doesn't matter if you were following your doctor's instructions, that doesn't protect you from having withdrawal symptoms from either drug.

Your doctor might screw up these drug changes all the time. Obviously, you have Paxil withdrawal syndrome, his suggestion of serotonin syndrome just shows how shaky his understanding is.

14 hours ago, Albert said:

I got a little more sleep last night.  Maybe 6 hours, but that was about it.   Pretty awful day today though.  I still had all of these symptoms.

After you get severe withdrawal syndrome and reinstate, it takes some time, like weeks or months, for your nervous system to settle down. You have garden-variety Paxil withdrawal syndrome. Yes, it's this bad. Please stop panicking because you do not get instant relief. It doesn't work like that. Look around the Introductions section to see what others are going through.

6 hours of sleep at this point is pretty good. I'd say reinstatement is working, but in my opinion, 30mg is not necessary. As I noted before, you might reduce Paxil to 20mg and even 10mg.

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Albert said:

Anything that helps with the Insomnia?  I am not regular THC user, but is that a NO NO

I'm allergic to smoking in any form, and IMO THC is just another drug to be added to your mix.

Alto is 100% right.  I know it seems overwhelming, but you're going through withdrawal.  Its brutal and I'm willing to bet you've never dealt with anything near this bad, especially on a day-to-day basis.  It is disheartening to know your mind has turned against you--its as if there is nowhere to find relief.  But you can overcome it.   Don't fight the feelings; accept they'll wash over you.  Try to remember your symptoms are being generated by your thoughts--not that they're imaginary, but that your nervous system is so scrambled  its firing in all directions and expressing its chaos as well as mentally.   Give yourself time to let your system settle and try practicing some coping strategies.  There are a ton of links on this site.  Eventually, you want to get to the point where you can tell yourself "I'm suffering twitches but I know the cause and I know they'll pass."  Right now, that may seem impossible, but with time it will have positive effects.  When all else fails, tell yourself each day is a day closer to recovery.  It sounds trite but its true.  There are many members here whose early posts are almost exactly like yours, and you can see how they've made great progress over time. 

Tim C

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, we get it that you have Paxil withdrawal syndrome and you reinstated Paxil. You were also tapering an opioid. It doesn't matter if you were following your doctor's instructions, that doesn't protect you from having withdrawal symptoms from either drug.

Your doctor might screw up these drug changes all the time. Obviously, you have Paxil withdrawal syndrome, his suggestion of serotonin syndrome just shows how shaky his understanding is.

After you get severe withdrawal syndrome and reinstate, it takes some time, like weeks or months, for your nervous system to settle down. You have garden-variety Paxil withdrawal syndrome. Yes, it's this bad. Please stop panicking because you do not get instant relief. It doesn't work like that. Look around the Introductions section to see what others are going through.

6 hours of sleep at this point is pretty good. I'd say reinstatement is working, but in my opinion, 30mg is not necessary. As I noted before, you might reduce Paxil to 20mg and even 10mg.

Thank you so much for the reply.  I just have a couple more questions.  I will follow my Dr's recommendation  and try to stabilize back at 20 mg then.   Even though I have been back on the 30 mg amount for 6 days, do you think that will be OK?   I completely discontinued Cymbalta 30 mg after being on that for the last 6 weeks.  I did that 6 days ago as well.  If I am going to have withdraw from that, do you think that is happening now?  Or do you think that the reinstatement of the Paxil might keep that from taking place?  Just trying to prepare myself in event I have more to deal with.     Once I stabilize, I am going to finish my Hydro taper and then start my Paxil taper and will be active here on the site.  I really appreciate this. 

2 hours ago, mstimc said:

I'm allergic to smoking in any form, and IMO THC is just another drug to be added to your mix.

Alto is 100% right.  I know it seems overwhelming, but you're going through withdrawal.  Its brutal and I'm willing to bet you've never dealt with anything near this bad, especially on a day-to-day basis.  It is disheartening to know your mind has turned against you--its as if there is nowhere to find relief.  But you can overcome it.   Don't fight the feelings; accept they'll wash over you.  Try to remember your symptoms are being generated by your thoughts--not that they're imaginary, but that your nervous system is so scrambled  its firing in all directions and expressing its chaos as well as mentally.   Give yourself time to let your system settle and try practicing some coping strategies.  There are a ton of links on this site.  Eventually, you want to get to the point where you can tell yourself "I'm suffering twitches but I know the cause and I know they'll pass."  Right now, that may seem impossible, but with time it will have positive effects.  When all else fails, tell yourself each day is a day closer to recovery.  It sounds trite but its true.  There are many members here whose early posts are almost exactly like yours, and you can see how they've made great progress over time. 

Thanks for the encouraging road.   This stuff should definitely be illegal !!!!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Albert said:

I will follow my Dr's recommendation  and try to stabilize back at 20 mg then.   Even though I have been back on the 30 mg amount for 6 days, do you think that will be OK? 

Cutting back to 20mg should be okay. As for how it does for your withdrawal syndrome, we'll have to see how it goes.

You won't have Cymbalta withdrawal also, it's all one withdrawal syndrome. It so happens your withdrawal started  when you went off Paxil during the switch to Cymbalta. As I told you before, Cymbalta is a red herring.

Please put the information about Cymbalta in your signature.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Cutting back to 20mg should be okay. As for how it does for your withdrawal syndrome, we'll have to see how it goes.

You won't have Cymbalta withdrawal also, it's all one withdrawal syndrome. It so happens your withdrawal started  when you went off Paxil during the switch to Cymbalta. As I told you before, Cymbalta is a red herring.

Please put the information about Cymbalta in your signature.

How do I adjust my Signature Alto?

• Mentor

I went through a very similar situation as yours. I used melatonin to get sleep. I used 20-30 mg a night, sublingual tablets. Much higher than recommended. But I would much rather get sleep than stay up all night. I did this probably 20-30 nights that I was absolutely crushed by insomnia. Now my sleep is the BEST I’ve ever had in my life.

One thing you must do is not make a ton of changes, the body needs to stabilize and from there you can make one change at a time to see what helps or is bad. These drugs do not just disappear or have the damage they have done repaired in a week or two. It takes a lot of time. I was on the exact same drug as you for 11 years. You will get through it. Follow the advice from mods here. I received better care here than I did with 11 years of doctors, psychiatrists, surgeons, naturopaths and many more. 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed 😊

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

2 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

I went through a very similar situation as yours. I used melatonin to get sleep. I used 20-30 mg a night, sublingual tablets. Much higher than recommended. But I would much rather get sleep than stay up all night. I did this probably 20-30 nights that I was absolutely crushed by insomnia. Now my sleep is the BEST I’ve ever had in my life.

One thing you must do is not make a ton of changes, the body needs to stabilize and from there you can make one change at a time to see what helps or is bad. These drugs do not just disappear or have the damage they have done repaired in a week or two. It takes a lot of time. I was on the exact same drug as you for 11 years. You will get through it. Follow the advice from mods here. I received better care here than I did with 11 years of doctors, psychiatrists, surgeons, naturopaths and many more. 

Everyday that passes is one day closer to being healed 😊

Thank you so much.  This gives me hope!!!  I am going to follow the mods on this one as well.  I am going to try to stabilize at 20mg, then finish my taper from hydro from my back surgery and then start a slow taper.  This stuff makes you think that you are going crazy.  Did you happen to have the pins and needles and other of my same symptoms ?  Thanks again.

• Moderator Emeritus

How do I adjust my Signature

This link will go straight to your signature.  Remember to Save.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

2 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

I used melatonin to get sleep. I used 20-30 mg a night

SA urges members to be cautious when trying anything new and recommends starting with a small dose when trying anything new.  Also, only make one change at a time:  the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable  Please see Alto's comment about melatonin dose size.

From  SA's topic:  melatonin-for-sleep

On 4/7/2011 at 11:26 AM, Altostrata said:

Large doses of melatonin do NOT aid sleep -- they might cause your oversensitive brain to wake up, instead. I found when I took more than 2mg of melatonin, I was weepy in the morning. If you get this or a paradoxical reaction (waking) or are dopey in the morning, it's a sign you're taking too much.

Edited by ChessieCat

How do I adjust my Signature Alto?

I am going to follow your lead here Alto and cut back to 20 mg.   If I do start to experience another severe withdrawal episode, when should I keep an eye out for that?  Will it be delayed kind of like last time?  2-3 weeks, or will I know right away.  Thanks

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

SA urges members to be cautious when trying anything new and recommends starting with a small dose when trying anything new.  Also, only make one change at a time:  the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable  Please see Alto's comment about melatonin dose size.

Yes, this is why I said much higher than recommended. I tried the lower amount and it did nothing. I only saw relief with much higher than recommended amounts. Like I said I took the risk.

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Cocopuffz17  yes, you did state that you took the risk.  There was no issue with what you posted.

I wanted ensure that Albert had the SA information so that he can make an informed decision.

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

This link will go straight to your signature.  Remember to Save.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

From  SA's topic:  melatonin-for-sleep

Thank you

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:23 AM, mstimc said:

Yes, I worked the whole time.  I actually found it helped by forcing me to focus on something other than myself and the negative thoughts for several hours a day. 

Since WD affects us all uniquely, no two people have the same symptom profile.  Also, symptoms can come and go and vary in intensity.  I did have similar symptoms, especially teeth grinding,  trouble focusing, pins and needles, muscle aches from being uptight all the time, crawling out of my skin, and insomnia. 

Thank you so much, I have to try and work as well.  I am getting lots of pins and needles all over my body.  Very disturbing.  Hoping to stabilize somewhat here soon so that I can start to think about my taper. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:45 AM, mstimc said:

I'll let the mods comment on that...

Have you  looked into CBT or any other kind of coping/behavior management techniques?

I am studying that now

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:35 PM, Cocopuffz17 said:

Hey @Albert it is possible to get off paxil and get back to normal or better :) I was on it for 11 years and fast tapered. Do not do it this way. I experienced hell going off this way and would never recommend it. Follow the 10% method and go slower if you body tells you to.  I followed a psychiatrist guided taper of 25% per month for 3 months. It was WAY too fast. But I am doing way better now and able to do things I did not think I was going to be able to do again . 

Do you feel like you were able to fully mentally recover?

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Do you feel like you were able to fully mentally recover?

Yes, I feel like I will be able to. I am not 100% yet. But light years where I was on the AD and during the brunt of withdrawals. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:39 PM, Gridley said:

It is very bad idea.  There is a major drug interaction between Paxil and Cymbalta (Duloxetine)..

Interactions between your drugs

Major

Using PARoxetine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications

-----------------------

I'm confused about something in your signature: "1st drop = August 14 from 30 to 25"  Does this mean you plan to start tapering Paxil on August 14, with a drop from 30mg to 25mg?  If so, that is faster than we recommend.  Please see the link in my first post to you about tapering no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  A 10% reduction from 30 would put you at 27mg.  The link I gave you, "Tips for tapering off Paxil" tell you how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need.

Also in your signature you say: "Plan on doing 10 every 3-4 weeks moving forward"  Does this mean you plan on tapering 10% every 3 to 4 weeks?"  If so, every 3 weeks is too fast.  We recommend every four weeks.   Before I found SA, I tapered Imipramine 10% every three weeks and it caught up with me and caused withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry about the confusion, I have updated my signature.  That was a very old signature. 

When one finally experiences Paxil "poop out" can it cause WD symptoms, or would that only take place when discontinuing the drug.   Also wondering if anyone has experienced urgent and frequent urination as a symptom?  ( embarrassing ), but I have had several tests for this that all check out fine.  However, I still have this condition and was wondering if this could be the cause and if so, can it correct itself as you decrease the drug ( taper ) or get completely off ?  Thanks