Turmalina: Abilify Maintena 400mg

Turmalina

Hello.

I'm not sure how to start this topic... I'd like to know if it's possible to quit Abilify Maintena by tapering it off.

I had a psychosis episode in 2010 and I took all kinds of anti-psychotic, anti-depressant and sleeping pills since then.

I did taper off oral Olanzapine (if I remember correctly) in less than 6 months and had all kind of withdrawal symptoms which made me start taking an injection of 400mg of Aripiprazole called Abilify Maintena monthly.

My Psychiatrist said that I have to take it for the rest of my life. I want to quit it because of all the side effects I had start feeling like 20KG of weight gain and erectile dysfunction...

I'm 30/Male and I've been taking an injection of 400mg of Aripiprazole called Abilify Maintena since 2016 every month.

I want to know if it is possible to taper off this medication, to know if anyone tried it and how was their experience... I can answer to any questions related to my mental health history.

Thanks for having me.

I thought a place like this would never exist...

- T.

Preparing myself to quit Abilify Maintena 400mg (01 2016 - Present day)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Turmalina.

There are instructions about tapering off injectable Abilify at the end of the first post of the following link (written by Altostrata, founder of the site).

Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing it out. I already read it.

I'm quoting it here so I can remember to talk about it on my next appointment:

Tapering injectable aripiprazole: Let it wear off, then take tablet or liquid
The injectable forms are intended to last at "therapeutic" strength for a month or more, then you would get another injection to keep up the potency.

The blood level and side effects will be highest shortly after the injection, then wear off somewhat. Because side effects can be quite severe, a conscientious physician will prescribe the tablets first to establish your tolerance for aripiprazole. Given the very long half-life, if you have an adverse reaction to an injection, it could last a long while.

To go off an injection, you must let your body gradually metabolize it. Aripiprazole's half-life is long -- about 4-7 days; a tablet dose could take about 20-35 days to completely leave your body. Since an injection is intended to last a month or more, complete clearance of aripiprazole can be up to 35 days after that period is over. For example, if you get a monthly injection of aripiprazole, it will take about 2 months or more to wear off altogether.

(Since the injections come in a dosage range, if you are taking one of the higher injectable dosages, conceivably over months, to taper off, you might gradually lower the dosage of the injections to the lowest -- 300mg lasting a month -- then allow it to wear off. This requires the cooperation of a doctor.)

However, even with this gradual decline of the injectable form, you still might get withdrawal symptoms. For after the injection wears off, you might consider having liquid oral aripiprazole or tablets on hand so you can take a very small daily amount to stop withdrawal symptoms, then gradually taper off that.

I'll update this topic when I proceed to tapering off this drug.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Turmalina: Abilify Maintena 400mg
  • 9 months later...

Hello everyone. I just want to update this thread.

I am still taking Abilify 400mg (Injection). Indeed, today I am going to take my monthly dose. At least this medication is now free of cost - I used to pay more than €20 for it every month.

I also recommended this forum to a friend - she is tapering off slowly Fluoxitine.