anse: can I still restart my SNRI so as to taper properly?

anse

Hi friends!

I am a 24 year old male. I had been using Venlafaxine XR 225mg capsules for around a year and a half ( July 2017- April 2019). I'd started Venlafaxine for my chronic fatigue which was thought to be depression (it most probably was).

Other drugs I used:

-Pre Workouts(PW): Mix of Caffeine, PEAs, and a variety of nootropics. I used these almost daily to try to stay awake. They helped me enormously with school and social life; to the point that I got psychologically addicted.

-Modafinil(rarely): Best antidepressant I've ever felt in my life when it was combined with the Venlafaxine. Not stimulating like the PWs, just made me feel completely normal.

- 4 LSD trips over 1 year

In March of this year I had decided that the Venlafaxine had not been having any major positive effects and that I was better off stopping it. Together with my psychiatrist we decided to taper off of it. At the time I didn't know about the importance of proper tapering and neither does my psyhiatrist. Her plan consisted of reducing to 150mg for 2 weeks and then 75mg for another two, after which I went down to 0. I had the classical 1-2 weeks of acute withdrawal with the brain zaps, nausea, depersonalisation, derealisation, extreme depression and anxiety etc. Followed by this I went through about 2 weeks of what I would consider complete normality and I thought I was out of the woods. Following those 2 weeks it got really bad.  I got severe parestethias, numbness, extreme fatigue, anxiety, lack of concentration. 

Over a period of 1 month I failed 3 exams in med school. I was trying to keep myself focused and alert with the PWs and Modafinil but I seemed to be hyper-reactive to them. Sometimes they worked really well but sometimes they gave me this intense head pressure where I could theoretically see but it was more like a brain and "eye" fog. Before the withdrawal, and before every taking Venlafaxine, my tiredness, or low mood, or anxiety could be temporarily fixed by taking PW. I was not getting any of the functional use anymore. Since then, I've been getting waves of this sort of state, with waves of feeling "better", but I haven't felt close to how I used to feel on Venlafaxine since, or even before starting Venlafaxine. In other words I'm doing worse now than before starting the VF. In the worst parts of the wave I can't even take caffeine anymore without getting head pressure and a sense of overstimulation. Before all this it was like I didn't even have a threshold for how high I could go with stimulants without adverse effects, but now I take 1/4-1/8 of what I used to, and even that's risky. I'm not looking for the "rush" again, I'm just trying to be as transparent as possible with how my body reacts.

For my last exam in July, I had a 3 week period where I took Wellbutrin IR 150mg so I wouldn't fail again. It seemed to help bring me a bit closer to stability, but again nothing like before. On Jul 5th I quit Wellbutrin cold turkey. As far as I can tell I've had no withdrawal symptoms at all. 

Nowadays I try maintaining stability by Meditating, taking Mg Glycinate( 400 - 800 mg ) and Fish Oil. I've also had another 2 LSD trips and one Mushroom trip. All of these have helped me with accepting my symptoms and powering through the day. I'm still taking low doses of PW to get any sort of semblance of energy and focus through the day. 

However, I'd ideally like to reinstate VF so I can taper properly and be stable. These symptoms are very disruptive and I'd love to go back to any semblance of my old stable self. Would it still make sense for me to try reinstating something like 37.5mg or 75mg Venlafaxine now and starting tapering? Is my only other option waiting it out? Sorry for the long block of text. Any advice is appreciated.

Venlafaxine - Jul 2017- April 2019. FT March-April 

Wellbutrin- June- July 2019 CT Jul 5th

PreWorkout Supplements- Almost daily 2017-Present ( Comination of Caffeine, Phenethylamines and nootropics)

LSD/Psylocibin- 6 Trips May 2018- August 2019

• ChessieCat changed the title to anse: can I still restart my SNRI so as to taper properly?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Anse, welcome to SA.

This site is run by volunteer Adminstrators and Moderators.

We have an increasing workload and would appreciate your co-operation with requests for info.

I am sorry you are having such a rough time, we will try to help.

Could you please complete your drug signature by clicking on the small arrow ( top right) next to your name and going to account setup.

Include all dates, drugs, doses and supplements including caffeine .

Difficult I know but as you have a complex history it will enable Mods to see you history at a glance. It will appear beneath every post you make.

23 hours ago, anse said:

Caffeine

Was this coffee or supplement?

23 hours ago, anse said:

PEAs

What are these?

You are in W/D (withdrawal ) from a cocktail of drugs and supplements

23 hours ago, anse said:

As far as I can tell I've had no withdrawal symptoms at all

You were already in W/D from the Venlafaxine.

We do not usually recommend reinstatement beyond 3 months of stopping the drug.

After this period success is less likely.

You did however have the three weeks on Wellbutrin which may change the situation.

It would take one of the more experienced mods to evaluate that.

Below are some links that will help you understand the process of withdrawal.

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

derealization-or-depersonalization-dr-and-dp/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please do not reinstate without contacting us for further info. specific to your case.

Again, welcome to SA.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hi again!

Caffeine was used in the form of preworkouts( supplements). PEAs are Phenethylamines, that are structurally similar to Amphetamines, but with a higher safety profile. 

If it's not worth it to reinstate the Venlafaxine, would it be worth it to try another antidepressant to ease out of this period and then properly taper out of that one? It would be pretty disheartening to know that I'm stuck with the paresthesia, brain fog, head pressure and others for years and I'd be really eager to try alternatives. I was also wondering what the best studies/ articles were explaining the long withdrawal process. It's very difficult for me to organise logistically with my psychiatrist seeing as she believes withdrawal ends after 1 month max and anything after that is the depression coming back again.

Thanks so much for your guys' help!

PreWorkout Supplements- Almost daily 2017-Present ( Comination of Caffeine, Phenethylamines and nootropics)

• Moderator Emeritus

@Altostrata, @Shep

Hello Anse

" she believes withdrawal ends after 1 month max and anything after that is the depression coming back again. "

That is all that most in the medical profession know about withdrawal.

5 hours ago, anse said:

I was also wondering what the best studies/ articles were explaining the long withdrawal process.

Unfortunately because of the above there are a lot of theories and misinformation on the web.

It is worth looking around this site but there have been no independent, properly run medical trials carried out so evidence is anecdotal.

I will refer this thread to senior mods as your interim Wellbutrin and stimulating supplements, complicate the issue of reinstatement.

That does not mean it is impossible, but needs wiser heads than just mine.

Sassenach

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Thanks for getting back to be and helping out :) 

• Administrator
On 8/23/2019 at 11:27 AM, anse said:

Over a period of 1 month I failed 3 exams in med school. I was trying to keep myself focused and alert with the PWs and Modafinil but I seemed to be hyper-reactive to them. Sometimes they worked really well but sometimes they gave me this intense head pressure where I could theoretically see but it was more like a brain and "eye" fog. Before the withdrawal, and before every taking Venlafaxine, my tiredness, or low mood, or anxiety could be temporarily fixed by taking PW. I was not getting any of the functional use anymore. Since then, I've been getting waves of this sort of state, with waves of feeling "better", but I haven't felt close to how I used to feel on Venlafaxine since, or even before starting Venlafaxine. In other words I'm doing worse now than before starting the VF. In the worst parts of the wave I can't even take caffeine anymore without getting head pressure and a sense of overstimulation. Before all this it was like I didn't even have a threshold for how high I could go with stimulants without adverse effects, but now I take 1/4-1/8 of what I used to, and even that's risky. I'm not looking for the "rush" again, I'm just trying to be as transparent as possible with how my body reacts. 

For my last exam in July, I had a 3 week period where I took Wellbutrin IR 150mg so I wouldn't fail again. It seemed to help bring me a bit closer to stability, but again nothing like before. On Jul 5th I quit Wellbutrin cold turkey. As far as I can tell I've had no withdrawal symptoms at all. 

Nowadays I try maintaining stability by Meditating, taking Mg Glycinate( 400 - 800 mg ) and Fish Oil. I've also had another 2 LSD trips and one Mushroom trip. All of these have helped me with accepting my symptoms and powering through the day. I'm still taking low doses of PW to get any sort of semblance of energy and focus through the day. 

Welcome, anse.

As you're aware, you had acute withdrawal syndrome from going off venlafaxine and now you have post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS).

Typically, symptoms of PAWS come in waves relieved by windows where you feel better.

We see people with PAWS are very frequently hypersensitive to all kinds of psychotropics. PAWS means your nervous system has been destabilized by withdrawal. Any psychotropic, prescribed or not, may have unexpected effects, including causing further destabilization. Many of them, such as LSD and MDMA, are serotonergics.

Because you've taken random drugs since going off Effexor in July, t's hard to tell whether your current symptoms are from venlafaxine withdrawal or have been compounded by adverse reactions to the other drugs.

I gather you have a nootropic cocktail, PW, that you take every day. To figure out what's going on, please keep PW constant (at the same time each day) and take daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Please include your sleep pattern. What is your usual sleep schedule? Do you stay up late on the computer?

We probably will need at least a week's daily notes before we can see your baseline pattern.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

In this format please Anse.

Edited by Sassenach

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't know if this explains the long withdrawal process but it does at least acknowledge it, which you may find useful. 

I've written on here quite a bit in the past describing my hypothesis about how taking drugs that affect neurotransmitters will cause the brain to try to regain homeostasis by remodeling itself around the "shape" of the drug, like a plant growing around the shape of a trellis, so that when you remove the drug suddenly, things get pretty messed up.  I think there is a thread about the Horowitz paper in the same section as the one above (From Journals And Scientific Sources) where he acknowledges something of the kind is likely. (You may like Horowitz, as a med student; he's a physician who, like most of them, dismissed the anecdotal evidence of withdrawal, until it happened to him.)

I highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker for a good overview of the development of psych drugs and why physicians have been so dramatically miseducated about them. Robert Whitaker also discusses this kind of neuroplastic adaptation to drugs.

Good places to start, at least.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Rhiannon said:

shape of a trellis

Rhiannon,

Very good to see you back here.  Sorry about the uptick in symptoms.  

I use your piece about the trellis in every post about withdrawal.  It is excellent!

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Rhiannon  I'm on alprazolam (Xanax), but haven't started tapering it yet.  First I have to be finished with sertraline (Zoloft).  I see that you're down to 0.008 Xanax.  I'm wondering how far you have to go before "jumping".  Also, are you tapering several drugs at once?  I would like to do that too, but have taken the advice of mods to do one at a time.

Thanks in advance if you choose to answer.

2007 - 2008          Paxil and Klonopin

2008 - 2012           Mirtazapine following CT from Klonopin and Paxil.  

2012                       Unsuccessful taper of mirtazapine; reinstated.     

7/2013 - 1/2014   Successfully tapered mirtazapine from 7.5 mg to 0.00.

Sertraline (Zoloft) Taper  Aug 4, 2017 - July 18, 2021 - Current dose 0.00

Alprazolam (Xanax)  July 19, 2017 - Nov 15, 2021 0.25 mg.

Began 10% taper  Nov 16, 2021 - 0.25  Jan 11, 2022 - 0.203;  Jan 13, 2023 - 0.0499;  Jan 21, 2024 - 0.0137;  Mar 17, 2024 - 0.0092;  Taper is 96% complete.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anse PM'd me with a question.  I'm posting her question and my response so other mods can see.

Gridley,

I'm really needing advice with my current situation. (I posted it on my page).

A quick summary is: 

unfortunelty took doctor's advice at healthcare to reinstate at 10 mg. 8/15 started. 5 days on 10mg completely felt worst (than before reinstatement)--more amplified symptoms more muscle tightness /headdiscomfort/ headpain. I went down to 5 mg--another 4 days. And still felt really more muscle tightness/head discomfort/ head pain/ still worst. So, 2 days ago I stopped. 

Since stopping I'm still feeling those symptoms and the effects of those days is still with me.  Truthfully, I feel worst than before reinstatement and it feels like I've almost done more damage. 

So, I really want advice to know what's the best direction--with the worsen symptoms I'm feeling---

Is the response my body giving basically a sign that reinstatement isn't going to work for me and that I just should stop and not take anymore medicine b/c it doesn't work with my body (after 4 months off) ?

Or is it possible there still may be a window of reinstatement, but  just the doses were to high?  

Also, is it possible the last (week and a half) I could have done more damage that could be permanent--or is likely if I stop and not take anymore I could return at least back to where I was before reinstating?

If you were me, what would you do?

Please post this in your topic so other mods can see.  This is important.  

It appears that you you have reinstated too high, not that reinstatement isn't going to work.   That is very probably the cause of your bad reaction.  

The window of reinstatement is not firm.  Four months off is not ideal (reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months, but four months is possible.)  It is your decision whether or not to RI.  If you don't, you will need to wait it out until you stabilize.  For some this happens fairly quickly, while for others it can take months or longer.

I would recommend that you reinstate at 1 mg and see how the works.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing. 

The damage is not permanent.  What we are after now is getting you stabilized on a low reinstatement dosage.

Again, please continue this conversation on your thread with @Gridley so I don't miss it it.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Anse. Welcome to SA. I'm a fellow taperer and having about the same symptoms you described yesterday and today. From my experience it takes time to stabilize after too quick a drop - about 1.5 months. I am moving down about 10% a month - I'm pretty sensitive to meds - and take other neuro meds for another illness. I have not been posting my symptoms according to a schedule like I quoted below - which would help the moderators. I'm doing a better job documenting now. They are really great and I wish I had found SA before I started my taper. I hope you are feeling better soon. 

On 8/27/2019 at 1:47 PM, Sassenach said:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hello, anse, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 10/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, Altostrata said:

Hello, anse, how are you doing?

Hi ! Thanks so much for reaching out, it means a lot. Right after posting I went into a very deep "wave" that sort of brought me down to my knees. I had to take a break from even trying to figure out what is going on/ visiting the site/ looking for proper supplementation because it was leading me down obsessive paths and heavy anxiety. I took the time then to accept my situation in its' current form and try and focus on my actual life more. I've actually been way better since then! 

As you recommended I've taken my nootropic mix daily around the same hour, supplemented with 1600mg Magnesium Glycinate, Calcium, Fish Oil( 1500mg EPA) daily. Piracetam seems to help also.

I also took the time to observe my symptoms on a larger scale and as far as I can tell windows have been getting larger; waves have been getting more shallow. In fact, I had a couple of days during the last month where I felt 95% of pre-Venlafaxine.

I know this goes against site recommendations, but I've since had 2 experiences with magic mushrooms. Obviously I don't condone doing this seeing as everyone reacts differently, but I feel like it's been an absolute huge help in reducing PAWS symptoms. Not only that but I approach the difficult times with a more positive attitude. Usually there is an after effect of around 2 weeks where symptoms are reduced a lot. When they do come back, they're not nearly as bad as they were before. Again, this is 100% anecdotal and I have no idea what the long term consequences are. 

I was actually looking for a sort of "form" I remember seeing around here that people would use to track their symptoms and windows/waves but can't seem to find it anymore. I'd love to be directed towards it.

Again, thanks for the help and advice :D

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Anse

Is this it?

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Sassenach

That's it! Thanks so much!!

• Administrator

Good to hear you're doing better, anse. It sounds like your recovery is proceeding "normally" for withdrawal syndrome. What are your current most prominent post-acute withdrawal (PAWS) symptoms?

Well the worst right now are in no particular order:

Pins and needles all over my body: this one mostly comes on at night, makes me highly irritable and doesn't let me meditate/ fall asleep

Veritgo that evolves into brain zaps depending on how intense it is

Horrible eyesight( this one actually comes and goes. I can be seeing perfectly one day, seeing tracers or moving letters the next) 

Horrible sleep( waking up 2,3 times a night; night terrors)

Depression ( although this one just feels like my baseline depression and feels like childs play compared to withdrawal- very easy to manage)

Fatigue and weakness/ GI symptoms

Here's some stuff that's gotten way better:

Anxiety- I no longer obsess about my health. I've accepted my situation as is. I know when to act and when to let go

Derealisation/Depersonalisation: These with anxiety bother me the most. Recently I've been feeling like I'm actually inhabiting my own body and that my personality is coming back. The world and things around me have started feeling real again

Head pressure/ Tight cervical muscles: Almost completely gone since I've been wearing a corrective mouth guard all day given to me by my orthodontist

If anyone has any idea how to manage the eye sight/ paresthaesias I would be so happy. Antihistamines seem to barely touch it. If I've forgotten anything ( and I'm sure I'll have, I'll come back and edit the post)

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @anse, how are you doing?