SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

thelegend: hoping to get there

thelegend

Hi all, my name is Matt, I am a 36 year old husband and father of three whose life has been turned upside down by these drugs. Although after reading the wealth of information on this site, I feel I finally understand what is happening to me, though it doesn’t make going through it any easier. I reinstated Zoloft on May 1st and I know I probably reinstated at much too high a dose, but I unfortunately was following “doctors orders.” It has been a tough four months to say the least, and at times I feel I will be stuck this way forever. However I have gone on vacation twice in the last 4 months. The 1st one was over the Fourth of July, during that time I would say I was 50-60% of my normal self. Only to come back, get to work, and get slammed by waves again. Last week I went on an end of summer vacation with my family, this time I would say I was closer to 75-80% of normal, and hopeful this was finally the beginning of the end for me and I was stabilizing and could in a few months begin a slow taper the proper way. However this past week back home and back to work have been unbearable. Unrelentingly anxiety and akathisia from the second I wake, that eventually calms a bit at night, but sometimes not til like 8-9PM. 

My question would be, can being on vacation really make that big of a difference in withdrawal? I would think it was just a fluke, but it has happened twice now. But it is like, almost feeling back to normal, vs not being able to fathom making it through another day. The difference is astounding. Any thoughts would be appreciated, also should I be getting worried that I am 4 months into reinstatement and holding and not stabilizing? Thanks, this site is amazing and all these people are amazing SURVIVORS!

April 2010 - January 2018: Zoloft 50-100 mgs (would go back and forth between these doses, mostly at 50mgs).

April - May 2018: Attempted to restart Zoloft for 6 weeks, made things worse so switched to...

June 2018 - Novemeber 2019: Lexapro 10mgs

August 2018 - Current: Zyprexa added for early morning extreme anxiety

November 2018 - February 2019: Lexapro 5mgs, then off since doctor said it “wasn’t working if still having anxiety.” Looking back I was probably stabilizing very slowly.

New Doctor reinstated:

May 1st, 2019 - Current - Zoloft 50mgs, 2.5mg Zyprexa 

• ChessieCat changed the title to thelegend: hoping to get there
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matt, 

Welcome to SA. I’m glad you found this site and things finally make sense to you. Yes, it doesn’t make what we’re going through any easier but it certainly helps to know that there is nothing wrong with us but it’s the meds that are causing all of this havoc.

You said you reinstated Zoloft in May. What dosage did you reinstate?

How long were you on Zoloft before you went off it? What dosage were you on? Did you cold turkey it or did you taper? If you tapered what was your method? 

I’m really sorry that you have akathisia. I’ve had it really bad in the past and it’s one of the worst symptoms. How are you coping with work when you have akathisia? It must be really hard.

Stress can ramp up our withdrawal symptoms so being on holiday may have helped them a bit, but sometimes even when people don’t have much stress their symptoms are still severe. These meds are pretty potent. That being said though, the CNS is affected by these meds so if you keep the stress in general as low as possible the symptoms can diminish quite a bit. I know when I have extra stress my symptoms are more severe and the waves take longer to dissipate, so I end up having to hold my taper longer.

Four months holding after a reinstatement isn’t long. It has taken some people a year or longer for them to reach a baseline after reinstatement. Some feel the benefits pretty soon afterwards. Once I tapered my meds too fast so I updosed within a week and a couple of days later I was back to baseline. It does take a lot of people up to six months to stabilise though after reinstatement, everything is a slow process when it comes to these meds. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hello,

4 months is not long at all in terms of reinstatement and it can take a lot longer to get stable. There is a thread from brassmonkey which goes into more detail about it all which you should take a look at. We are all unique in how we heal but we do get there.

For me personally it doesn’t seem to matter what I’m doing for a wave to start although for others different things definitely can set them off.

The most important thing to remember is that you are having windows which is a clear sign of healing. Unfortunately the waves mean more healing is needed but you should see your windows get clearer the further you go but don’t be surprised if a big nasty wave hits later on as they can do that too. 

It can be slow and frustrating and you may even think your further along than you are but you will get there.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

@Carmie, now I have learned that I have pretty much done everything wrong. Last year (February) I decided I didn’t need the Zoloft anymore and since my doctor said I was on the “lowest dose” I could simply stop taking them. I got some withdrawal symptoms in the 1st few weeks, I was a little easy to cry, and would get very lightheaded, but nothing too bad, then they went away and I felt great for a couple of months. Started feeling anxious again, like my mind was always racing and “checking in” on how I was feeling. So I decided to start the Zoloft again...and wow was that a mistake. Started at 50mgs cause that was always my dose, and I quickly couldn’t eat, I would wake in a panic, and had all sorts of unpleasant symptoms. When the Zoloft didn’t “work” after 6 weeks my doctor tried Prozac and then after 8 weeks of that we stopped ADs altogether cause I was barely hanging on I felt I could get back to normal without them as it wasn’t THAT bad until I tried to restart the Zoloft. After two months off of everything I still was getting no better so back to the doc I went and he prescribed lexapro and Zyprexa. The Zyprexa helped from the 1st night (but now I think probably is doing no good). I have these meds a good run of about 8 months, but although better, was still having struggling, then I told my doctor “I think the Zyprexa helps, but maybe the lexapro is doing more harm than good.” Quick taper from 10 mgs of lexapro from November to February of this year, and I just got much, much worse. Went to a new doctor this time as I felt I needed a fresh perspective and he prescribed 50mgs of Zoloft since I did so well on Zoloft for 10 years, and still keep the 2.5 mgs of Zyprexa.

That was the beginning of May and once again, another change and it just made me worse. I started researching what has happened to me the last 2 years as I have never experienced anything like this and found this site. It all makes so much sense, my CT messed up my CNS and all the changes I have been doing have just made things worse. Not to mention always going back to my original dose or a therapeutic dose as the doctors call it, was always too high to reinstate.

So now I sit, 4 months into reinstatement of 50mgs if Zoloft and still taking 2.5mgs of Zyprexa and struggling to just get through my days. As I said, the two vacations I have taken, I have been MUCH better but I always come back to this (story of my life the last couple of years). Hoping that a dedication to keeping everything stable will finally pay off and I will get my life back. At times I feel fine, like last night the anxiety and akathisia totally went away after about 5PM. Only to all come back full force again this morning.

My current symptoms are: constant anxiety and akathisia (better at night and really bad in the mornings, oftentimes before I even get up), shakey hands (not as bad as right when I reinstated), burning eyes (seem to have started to get better the last month or so, but I have thought this before and it flares up again), burning arms and legs (was really bad in May, now it is almost gone), feeling hot in my feet, overall feeling of dread and “how can I keep going on?” My biggest worry is it will never get better, I have essentially been in a varying state of unwell for 2 years with no end in sight and that is really discouraging. Will I eventually stabilize? Is it so weird I feel that might better at nights and then especially on vacations?

April 2010 - January 2018: Zoloft 50-100 mgs (would go back and forth between these doses, mostly at 50mgs).

April - May 2018: Attempted to restart Zoloft for 6 weeks, made things worse so switched to...

November 2018 - February 2019: Lexapro 5mgs, then off since doctor said it “wasn’t working if still having anxiety.” Looking back I was probably stabilizing very slowly.

New Doctor reinstated:

@Tom37

how are you doing today Tom? Read your post on your recent wave and coincidentally, or not, I too was in a great window last week, and took some ibuprofen before this big wave hit. Did anyone answer you, can that cause problems? I figured it was way safe, and maybe it is, but that is pretty coincidental.

New Doctor reinstated:

Would you guys suggest just continuing to hold at 50mgs of Zoloft and 2.5mgs of Zyprexa. Having a horrible day today, anxiety through the roof, after feeling pretty much 100% normal last night.

New Doctor reinstated:

• Mentor
3 hours ago, thelegend said:

@Tom37

how are you doing today Tom? Read your post on your recent wave and coincidentally, or not, I too was in a great window last week, and took some ibuprofen before this big wave hit. Did anyone answer you, can that cause problems? I figured it was way safe, and maybe it is, but that is pretty coincidental.

I would say yes. The way NSAID’s cause issues in your GI tract. Which is no different than eating unhealthy food and causing waves to flare up. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

I don’t think it caused my wave as looking back I wasn’t feeling too good Thursday and Friday plus I injured my back so had been in quite a lot of pain/discomfort. 

Waves just tend to happen for me with no reason as to why other than my body needs to go through more readjustment.

Thankfully the worst symptom of this wave that made me struggle so much has eased a lot and allowed me to get a half decent sleep. Still in it but it becomes far more tolerable now.

Dont think too much why waves happen as  they happen regardless. 

Saw your drug history so definitely don’t be surprised if it takes you a while to stabilise after all those changes but it will happen and hopefully it happens soon.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

• Mentor
20 hours ago, Tom37 said:

Hello,

4 months is not long at all in terms of reinstatement and it can take a lot longer to get stable. There is a thread from brassmonkey which goes into more detail about it all which you should take a look at. We are all unique in how we heal but we do get there.

For me personally it doesn’t seem to matter what I’m doing for a wave to start although for others different things definitely can set them off.

The most important thing to remember is that you are having windows which is a clear sign of healing. Unfortunately the waves mean more healing is needed but you should see your windows get clearer the further you go but don’t be surprised if a big nasty wave hits later on as they can do that too. 

It can be slow and frustrating and you may even think your further along than you are but you will get there.

Hi TheLegend,

I can echo what Tom has said. 4 months is not long. I reinstated almost 5 months ago now and I’m getting only occasional windows, though they seem to be getting more frequent. It seems to take the brain a long time to adjust to a new drug regime - not surprising as I guess we are rewiring ourselves. Keep at it!

You’re clearly someone, like me, who responds strongly to stress while in withdrawal. I don’t there’s any way round that, just do the best you can with it!

warmest wishes

Rich

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

Wow I really appreciate all the replies, so good to talk to people who understand. This is such a frustrating process, felt I was finally coming out of it a week ago, now I feel I will never be well again. Teased last night with just a great anxiety free night, only to come crashing down this morning. Hoping I am at least headed in the right direction.

New Doctor reinstated:

What does everyone think? Should I just continue to stay on my current meds until I feel better, then start to taper? What if that never happens? (my biggest fear in all of this).

New Doctor reinstated:

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, thelegend said:

What does everyone think? Should I just continue to stay on my current meds until I feel better, then start to taper? What if that never happens? (my biggest fear in all of this).

It will happen, thelegend, it just can take quite a while as Rich and Tom37 said.  There will be ups and downs (windows and waves), but the fact that you're having some good along with the bad is very encouraging.  I would continue to hold.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

33 minutes ago, Gridley said:

It will happen, thelegend, it just can take quite a while as Rich and Tom37 said.  There will be ups and downs (windows and waves), but the fact that you're having some good along with the bad is very encouraging.  I would continue to hold.

Yeah, there are good, but it never lasts. Was hoping to be doing better than I am 4 months in. I don’t have the burning arms, and the burning eyes are much reduced. So maybe those are good signs?

New Doctor reinstated:

• Mentor
5 minutes ago, thelegend said:

Yeah, there are good, but it never lasts. Was hoping to be doing better than I am 4 months in. I don’t have the burning arms, and the burning eyes are much reduced. So maybe those are good signs?

Those are definitely good signs! Keep at it!

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Moderator Emeritus
51 minutes ago, thelegend said:

Excellent signs.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pretty typical for mornings to be hard and evenings to get some relief. The fact that you're getting relief in the evenings is actually another good sign. Hang in there, you're on the way.

Also it seems to be very normal for people to quit an AD, get through the acute WD after a few weeks, think they're fine, then somewhere in the 2-3 months range to get hit with WD again, slightly different symptoms (less of the electrical shock stuff, but more emotional anguish, akathisia, anxiety, insomnia etc, intense and intolerable.) At this point most doctors call it "return of the underlying condition" and people go back on the AD, like you did last spring. Back when I was first on an AD, the first time I quit, this is exactly how my pattern went, and same thing a few years later when I tried again to quit. It's so typical and normal that I am certain there is a physiological, neurochemical process underlying it. Maybe someday scientists will even do the research and find out why. Not holding my breath for that now, though. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks @Rhiannon very good info! Good to know you feel I am “getting there” oftentimes it feels I am stuck in neutral. However, the good nights have been pretty consistent and are much more consistent than they were in the beginning.

New Doctor reinstated:

I am struggling SO bad! The last 3 days I haven’t even been getting any better at night. I don’t know what to do, almost 4 months into a reinstatement and a hold and the past couple of weeks feel as bad as when I first reinstated probably too high of a dose. Am I ever going to get better, I don’t know if I can keep doing this!

New Doctor reinstated:

Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch at the moment.

It will pass like all waves do and after the wave you hopefully will feel the changes the body has done. Unfortunately big waves can hit at anytime so try not to get discouraged about it. It doesn’t mean your going backwards even though you feel like it. 

It’s so easy when your struggling to get caught up in the here and now which is our current reality when the truth is that in a few weeks/months time you will most likely be feeling a lot better as your baseline continues to improve.

I know now it’s hard but you will get through this period and when you do you will have that extra bit of confidence to get through the next bad wave.

Until your stable and almost or are wd symptom free the body will still be working on getting back to its normal self so it’s all waves and windows till it does. Waves will get easier and windows longer and clearer so it gets better with time.

Hang in there! 

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

@Tom37, thanks Tom. Feels like I am just getting worse and worse the last week and a half so the is frustrating. The last 4 months I have only really felt good on vacation, so it is hard for me to have confidence I will get a window while at home and working when I haven’t really been able to. I had been able to count on feeling better at night, which really helped to get me through the daily bad. Last 3 nights haven’t really got that relief, so that has really sucked. Hopefully a real window is coming, this feels like a never ending wave.

New Doctor reinstated:

• Moderator Emeritus

I can so relate! All the hope that a window brings, comes crashing down in doubt and disappointment when that window closes. I get it. But it will get better. Let me share my experience with you. Perhaps it will help you.

Like you, my poison is sertraline, and I reinstated too high of a dose after a 3 week taper, which is basically a CT. Then I spent 4 months changing that dose (about 4 times) in a desperate but misguided attempt to get some relief. Big mistake! Things got sooo much worse! I got almost ZERO windows and was basically bedbound. I cannot even remember how many symptoms I had (or maybe I just don't want to). I've never been so ill in my life. But when I stopped changing things up, and committed to staying on one dose, for better or worse, I started to stabilize. And there have been many days along the way that I doubted that decision. I would have bad days where I felt so ill that I had to fight the urge to do something - anything! - to try to help myself. I was fixated on the idea that I was wasting time by sitting still. But common sense prevailed (with considerable help from SA!), and here I am 5.5 months down the road, and I am gaining more stability every day. I have one remaining symptom that is bothersome, and that is dry, burning eyes and blurry vision in one eye. Some days it is better than others. And a few other symptoms still come and go, which is why I plan to continue to hold at this point. But gone completely are the cortisol spikes, akathesia, insomnia, anxiety, muscle twitches, weakness, morning anxiety and a plethora of other symptoms. I am back at work. I am back playing music. I am not perfectly well. But I am functional, and continuing to improve. Just as you will, if you stay the course. To quote Brassmonkey: time and patience; patience and time.

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

All waves feel like they will never end but they do. It’s a very common way of thinking when in a wave. You will get windows when at home and working it’s just you might not be there yet in your recovery. But as time passes they will come. 

In my first few months everything felt like a permanent wave then as my baseline increased the windows started being more defined so I knew I was healing. Same will happen to you to.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Wow @Dejavu and @Tom37, your stories and encouragement are so helpful. It is so good to know I am not the only one and that windows do come and it gets better (at least it had for you). Actually ended up being fairly manageable yesterday, after a really bad morning, night was a window. Woke today to really bad anxiety again, hopefully it follows yesterday’s pattern.

New Doctor reinstated:

20 hours ago, Dejavu said:

I can so relate! All the hope that a window brings, comes crashing down in doubt and disappointment when that window closes. I get it. But it will get better. Let me share my experience with you. Perhaps it will help you.

Like you, my poison is sertraline, and I reinstated too high of a dose after a 3 week taper, which is basically a CT. Then I spent 4 months changing that dose (about 4 times) in a desperate but misguided attempt to get some relief. Big mistake! Things got sooo much worse! I got almost ZERO windows and was basically bedbound. I cannot even remember how many symptoms I had (or maybe I just don't want to). I've never been so ill in my life. But when I stopped changing things up, and committed to staying on one dose, for better or worse, I started to stabilize. And there have been many days along the way that I doubted that decision. I would have bad days where I felt so ill that I had to fight the urge to do something - anything! - to try to help myself. I was fixated on the idea that I was wasting time by sitting still. But common sense prevailed (with considerable help from SA!), and here I am 5.5 months down the road, and I am gaining more stability every day. I have one remaining symptom that is bothersome, and that is dry, burning eyes and blurry vision in one eye. Some days it is better than others. And a few other symptoms still come and go, which is why I plan to continue to hold at this point. But gone completely are the cortisol spikes, akathesia, insomnia, anxiety, muscle twitches, weakness, morning anxiety and a plethora of other symptoms. I am back at work. I am back playing music. I am not perfectly well. But I am functional, and continuing to improve. Just as you will, if you stay the course. To quote Brassmonkey: time and patience; patience and time.

Thanks for the encouragement.

March 2003-started on Paxil CR 12.5mg increased to 25mg the following week--July 2003 was bridged to Wellbutrin XL 150--would be assessed monthly and was increased to 300mg--was increased and decreased several times over the course of several years--

Lamictal 200mg was added--don't remember exactly when--2008 was changed to Wellbutrin SR--had severe reaction which I now know to be withdrawal from Wellbutrin XL--went cold turkey withdrawal from both Wellbutrin XL and Lamictal at the same time because Dr. refused to see me again--was drug free until 2011--had brain surgery 2011, was put on Keppra 800 mg--Keppra caused severe insomnia and depression--withdrawal from Keppra by skipping days per doctor's instructions caused severe akathisia and delusions--was hospitalized several times due to what I now know was PAWS--was put on olanzapine 7.5 for sleep and gabapentin 4 times a day--don't remember the dosage--found new psychiatrist who changed olanzapine to ziprasidone 40mg in morning and 80mg at night and prozac 10mg--2014--had grand mal seizure which I now suspect was caused by the drugs--was put on carbamazepine 200mg twice a day--2016 changed psychiatrists due to severe depression--was changed from prozac to duloxetine 60mg and left on the ziprasidone dosages.

Had a decent holiday weekend. Anxiety would come and kick my butt at times, but overall I managed and had some moments of feeling really good. Sunday morning was tough, and had some bad times Monday afternoon but again I managed.

We decided to get a puppy yesterday, maybe not the best timing as I am still in the thick of not being stable and the added stress may not be so good for me, but it is what I have always wanted and the kids are super pumped about it so, I will make it work and enjoy it even more when I am stable.

New Doctor reinstated:

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, thelegend said:

We decided to get a puppy yesterday,

I think you'll find that the distraction, companionship, amusement and love from the pup will outweigh any negatives

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

I think you'll find that the distraction, companionship, amusement and love from the pup will outweigh any negatives

Yeah I hope so, seems for whatever reason I am very sensitive to stress right now (fine on vacation, not at all when I get home).

New Doctor reinstated:

• Mentor

I think a pup is a great idea.  Please tell us a little about your new dog when you feel up to it. Large, small?  Long hair, short hair, etc.

Once our CNS has been affected by withdrawal it is normal to be super sensitive to stress. Maybe you can pass along some of the dog training to other members of the family??? Anything to keep you stress factor as low as possible, at least for now.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Moderator Emeritus

And a pic too please 🐾.  Post it here:  pets-and-love-aww-post-your-pics-here

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

15 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

I think a pup is a great idea.  Please tell us a little about your new dog when you feel up to it. Large, small?  Long hair, short hair, etc.

Once our CNS has been affected by withdrawal it is normal to be super sensitive to stress. Maybe you can pass along some of the dog training to other members of the family??? Anything to keep you stress factor as low as possible, at least for now.

Great idea, my kids are 12, 9, and 5 so they should be able to help with a lot. We got a Doberman, I had when I got married 15 years ago but he dies young when his stomach flipped. I have wanted one ever since, so even though timing may not be great, it will be really fun and good for my family.

New Doctor reinstated:

So the last couple of days I have had burning arms in the morning. This was a symptom I had pretty bad right when I reinstated 4 months ago, but has been gone for about a month or a month and a half. Really it was the only thing I could really point to that would suggest improvement the last 4 months. I am really frustrated it is back and feel like I am just getting worse and worse, why am I not stabilizing after 4 months? Just really frustrated and feeling like it will never get better.

New Doctor reinstated:

Anyone with any thoughts, why would this come back after being gone for over a month? Does it mean I am going backwards? Am I just spinning my wheels with this and I will never stabilize?

New Doctor reinstated:

18 minutes ago, thelegend said:

Does it mean I am going backwards? Am I just spinning my wheels with this and I will never stabilize?

You will stabilize. 

In my case it took 8 months from to high reinstatement. 

It will for sure. 

2012 March- low anxiety, I started sertraline and I got adverse reaction. -.I got depression, ss thoughts and other bad symptoms 2012 May I was put on Clonozepam & paroxetine- it helped. I stopped clonozepam after 4 months with no issue. 2012- 2016 paroxetine 20 mg/ 30 mg

10/2016-02/2017 I tappered paroxetine and during this I was feeling wonderfull. 3 months without paroxetine and withdrawal syndrome appeared. I went back to paroxetine but I couldn't stabilise. CRASH
01/08/2016--Bridge to fluoxetine. fluoxetine 20 mg , triticco / trazadone 75 mg , clonozepam 0,5mg
September 2016 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I did test in two different laboratories- both positive 04.03.2017. from 20.11.2017 I started tapper from 0.5 to 0.125 mg- when I got some relief from Lyme treatment. I crashed on 01.02.2018, I slowed down tappering.
20/03/2019-  clonozepam 0,0062 mg,  fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
28/06/2019- clonozepam 0,0023 mg, trazadone 75 mg, fluoxetine 20 mg
29/07/2019- clonozepam 0,0012 mg trazadone 75 mg, fluo-20 mg
13/08/2019 clonozepam 0,0006 mg I cut trazadone to 50 mg bcs of terrible fatique- big MISTAKE- 21.08.2019 updosed trazadone to 62 mg-still WD- 28.08.2019 oryginal dosage 75 mg
26/09/2019 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 20 mg, trazadone 75 mg
06/05/2023 OFF clonozepam, fluoxetine 17 mg, trazadone 25 mg HOLD from 20.11.2021

FROM WD of paroxetine 2017 I have not recovered. I was diagnosed with Lyme, Bartonella , mold, I have low dao (Diamine oxidase). I don't know why but I have some relief from resweratrol, ginger, famotidine (Pepcid)

23 hours ago, LadyBartonella said:

You will stabilize. 

In my case it took 8 months from to high reinstatement. 

It will for sure. 

Good to know it can take that long and still happen. 8 months is a long time, but heck I guess I am more than halfway there. It seems that everyone eventually stabilizes, at least that is what I keep telling myself.

New Doctor reinstated:

On 9/3/2019 at 11:30 PM, ChessieCat said:

And a pic too please 🐾.  Post it here:  pets-and-love-aww-post-your-pics-here

Tried but all my pictures are too big it seems

New Doctor reinstated:

I have started getting hot or burning sensations in my feet, with being on Zyprexa should I be concerned about diabetes? Kind of freaking me out to be honest.

New Doctor reinstated: