Lookinup

Lookinup's intro: please help

Lookinup
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am struggling with withdrawal from Mirtazapine presently.  My Dr. Put me on Prozac 10 mg. When I started experiencing anxiety.  I need off as it is not helping and probably making things worse.   Has been 6-1/2 weeks on.  How do I taper to avoid additional problems?  Dr. Said no tapering needed.  I’m not sure I believe that!  Thanks you for any suggestions you can provide!

Edited by Shep
added new username to title

Gridley

Welcome to SA, Mirtazapine.  I'm sorry you're struggling.

When did you stop the Mirtazapine, what dosage were you taking, and did you stop cold turkey?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to go more slowly.  Doctors know nothing about tapering or withdrawal.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

This link is specifically about tapering Prozac and gives information about how to obtain non-standard doses you will need for your taper.  This basically means tapering using liquid Prozac, making your own liquid from pill form or cutting tablets and weighing them.

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Lookinup

So going to .5 was too much even though only six week?

Tapered Mirtazapine.  Was only on 3.5 mg. For sleep.

Sassenach

Hi Mirtazapine.

Can you please clarify.

When did you start Prozac?

Did you start at 10mgs?

Are you still on 10mgs?

When did you start Mirtazapine?

Did you start at 3.5mgs.

Are you still on 3.5mgs or have you tapered to 3mgs?

I know it can be difficult when you are not feeling well, but we need accurate info. to ensure we advise you correctly.

Sassenach

Lookinup

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. No longer. On MIrtazapine.  Started at 7.5 ended at 1.8.  Prozac 10 mg for 6-1/2 weeks.  Started .5 four nights ago.  Pharmacists suggested .5 for two weeks then every other night for one then off.  What is your recommendation.  

Thank you.

Sassenach

Did you jump off Mirtazapine at 1.8mgs?

Are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms?

Do you mean you are reducing Prozac by .5mgs

As you are online please reply asap as I have to go soon.

Sassenach

Lookinup

Yes,off Mirtzapine at 1.8.  Yes, still having anxiety and sleeplessness from mirt withdrawal.  And yes, reduced Prozac to .5

Thank you for any advice you can lend.

Sassenach

OK

The .5mgs reduction is fine and within the 10% reduction advised by this site.

However two weeks is not a long enough hold.

Definitely do not go to, day on, day off.

We should keep an eye on withdrawal symptoms which could still occur from Mirt.

When did you take last dose?

Links below to help you learn about what is happening.

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Lookinup

So stay on .5 for longer than 2 weeks, right?  Still having symptoms from mirt w/d.  It was the Mirtzapine withdrawal group that suggested getting off Prozac to help with Mirt w/d healing.  Really appreciate your help.

Lookinup

Now I am worried.  I cut from 10 mg to .5.  That is 50%.  Will be 5 nights tonight.  

Sassenach

Did you cut to .5mg ie. one half of a mg or 5mgs?

5mgs = half of your original dose.

Lookinup

5 mg.!  Don’t know what I was thinking with .5

Now what???

Lookinup

Bad advice from several pharmacists.  Dr. Said no tapering necessary as Prozac has such a long half life it will taper itself!  Just want off to help heal my nervous system!

Lookinup

Don’t want any more withdrawal symptoms.  Have been going on for almost 3 months from Mirtzapine.

Sassenach

Don,t panic.These are small doses.

Leave with me.

Will take a good look and get back to you tomorrow.

Lookinup

Oh, I am so grateful for your intervention.  Didn’t know if I should go back to 10 again tonight or stick with what I have been doing for the past 4 nights.  Definitely don’t want anymore symptoms.  As I said, still dealing with them from the Mirtazapine w/d!  Took 10 mg for 6-1/2 weeks.  Thank you so much for your help.  I will be on the lookout fo what I should do now.  

Sassenach

Will speak to senior mods tomorrow and get back to you.

Take 5mgs of Prozac at your normal time.

5mgs NOT .5mgs.

Sassenach

Lookinup

THANK YOU!!! Will do.  Don’t know why I put the . before the 5.  Knew it was 5 mg,, half of the 10 mg dose.

Sassenach

Hi Mirt.

How are you feeling today?

We need to sort out drugs and doses as you seem uncertain of what you took and when.

I know you are off Mirtazapine but we need to know correct times and doses of all drugs and supplements in the last two years to ensure we advise you correctly.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, Lookinup said:

Tapered Mirtazapine.  Was only on 3.5 mg. For sleep.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, Lookinup said:

On MIrtazapine.  Started at 7.5 ended at 1.8.

1-When did you start Mirtazapine and  was starting dose 3.5mgs or 7.5mgs?

2-When did you stop Mirtazapine  at 1.8mgs?

If you cannot remember exact dates the month will be ok.

3-Did you go straight onto Prozac or was there a period when you took nothing?

4-Did you start Prozac at end of July?

5-You tapered from 10mgs to 5mgs 26th July, is that correct.

6-Are you taking any supplements?

Please answer the questions in the same order as above.

As you have been on the reduced dose of Prozac for a week, have your symptoms improved or got worse?

Sassenach

Lookinup

Thank you for your assistance.

1.  Started Mirt. August 2017, 7.5mgs tapered to 3.5mgs

2.  Stopped c/t at 3.5 in March - Sleep issues started

3.  Reinstated and tapered to 1.8 and stopped beginning of June - Panic attacks started within a few days

4.  Started Prozac around July 12. Had taken nothing up until that point.

5.  Took 10 mg. Up until 28 August when tapered to 5 mg.  Had tried going up to 20 for a few days several weeks ago. Could not stand the stimulation and returned to 10.

6.  Taking Magnesium about 300 mg at night. Also multivitamin.  Was taking L theanine, but don’t feel it is working anymore.

7. Have been on .5 Klonopin for at least 15 years for sleep. Never took antidepressants before the 7.5 Mirtzapine for sleep purposes.  Never depressed.  Not anxious (until withdrawals).

8.  Feeling okay, but getting increased heart rate after taking the 5 mg. At night. Other than than same Mirtzapine withdrawal symptoms I have been experiencing since coming off in June (can feel panic attacks coming on and take Propanolol to stop them, some tingling and insomnia (taking Ambien to get a few hours at night).Joined Mirtazapine withdrawal support group and learned a lot about this.  I did not know it was advisable not to go on anything during withdrawals to help brain heal.  They suggested tapering from the Prozac.  Only went on that because of the severe anxiety caused by withdrawal.  Never started to help,  I am hoping this all resolves soon.  It is going on 3 months now and still feeling pressure lousy.. 

I also have a thyroid condition that has been causing a lot of trouble this summer. Doctors think it is that causing my problems. 

Thank you again.  Don’t know how i ended up using name Mirtzapine - Put it in thinking it was the topic!

Edited by Sassenach
include medical condition

Lookinup

All doctors seen do not acknowledge discontinuation syndrome. All want to push more meds.  I was never on meds, except for the Klonopin and had no idea about tapering antidepressants because I was on a “low sleep” dose only, as I was told.  How I ended up feeling like this boggles my mind.  I also have a thyroid condition that has been causing a lot of trouble this summer. Doctors think it is that causing my problems. 

Lookinup

I do not want any more meds and don’t need them.  Where can I get support for this since doctors feel the way they do?  

Lookinup

Forgot, also taking Cod Liver Oil (Rosita) and probiotic for histamine problems.

Sassenach

That is great.

Will refer to senior mods now.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, Mirtazapine said:

Where can I get support for this since doctors feel the way they do?  

You are in the right place for support.

Look at other members threads on here.

You will find some who know exactly what you are going through.

success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

Sassenach

Lookinup

This is hopeful,but do you think my problems can really be all thyroid related?  Have been both hyper and hypo since June.  Or, could withdrawals cause destabilization of thyroid hormone?

Lookinup

Hi Sassenach,  Any advice about how I should proceed?  Thank you!

ChessieCat

So that we can see your drug history at a glance please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Altostrata

Hello, Lookinup. You reduced to 5mg Prozac last Wednesday? How do you feel now? How's your sleep?

Why did you go on Prozac instead of taking a little mirtazapine again?

On 9/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, Mirtazapine said:

8.  Feeling okay, but getting increased heart rate after taking the 5 mg. At night. Other than than same Mirtzapine withdrawal symptoms I have been experiencing since coming off in June (can feel panic attacks coming on and take Propanolol to stop them, some tingling and insomnia (taking Ambien to get a few hours at night).Joined Mirtazapine withdrawal support group and learned a lot about this.  I did not know it was advisable not to go on anything during withdrawals to help brain heal.  They suggested tapering from the Prozac.  Only went on that because of the severe anxiety caused by withdrawal.  Never started to help,  I am hoping this all resolves soon.  It is going on 3 months now and still feeling pressure lousy.. 

I also have a thyroid condition that has been causing a lot of trouble this summer. Doctors think it is that causing my problems. 

Thank you again.  Don’t know how i ended up using name Mirtzapine - Put it in thinking it was the topic!

The increased heart rate after taking Prozac has nothing to do with thyroid, it's an adverse drug effect.

How exactly was your thyroid issue diagnosed? What is it? Are you taking thyroid hormone?

On 9/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, Mirtazapine said:

Forgot, also taking Cod Liver Oil (Rosita) and probiotic for histamine problems.

What kind of histamine problems?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? When do you take cod liver oil and probiotic? Are your symptoms better or worse at certain times of day?

Lookinup

At the time, doctor suggested low dose Prozac for the panic attacks and anxiety.  From what I hear, taking the Mirtazapine again could be risky.  Don’t know whether it will help or make it worse.  So adverse effect from taking the Prozac, meaning ....?

Lookinup
On 9/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, Mirtazapine said:

At the time, doctor suggested low dose Prozac for the panic attacks and anxiety.  From what I hear, taking the Mirtazapine again could be risky.  Don’t know whether it will help or make it worse.  So adverse effect from taking the Prozac, meaning ....?

Had thyroid removed four years ago due to benign nodules.  Taking Synthroid.  Levels changed significantly over summer.  Dosage changed and getting new labs in few weeks.  Sometimes blocked nasal passages.  Take Prozac at night.  Sleep is horrible.  Using Ambien right now.  Did sleep study and showed mild apnea.  Trying CPAP tomorrow.  Symptoms are better during the day.  Fish oil and probiotics in a.m.  Would really like to know where to go with this taper.

ChessieCat

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Altostrata
On 9/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, Mirtazapine said:

Prozac is not an ant-anxiety drug. It sometimes causes anxiety, or palpitations. If, after being sensitized by withdrawal, you take too much of something like Prozac, it can cause activation or keep you awake.

Have you ever felt better after taking your daily dose of Prozac?

Why do you think you cannot take mirtazapine again?

On 9/2/2019 at 9:54 PM, Mirtazapine said:

Sometimes blocked nasal passages.

This is your histamine problem? How does Cod Liver Oil (Rosita) and probiotic help??

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This will help us figure out if any of your drugs are causing symptoms.

ChessieCat
24 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day.

•  

Keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing

Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day? A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Lookinup

Symptoms are tingling of hands and legs at random times, usually accompanied by anxiety.  Not predictable throughout the day.  Need to continue taper of Prozac and get rid of it.  Have been on 5 mg for two weeks.  What do you suggest for next taper?  Took 10 mg for 6-1/2 weeks then began taper.  Thank you!

Altostrata

Please answer these questions.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Prozac is not an ant-anxiety drug. It sometimes causes anxiety, or palpitations. If, after being sensitized by withdrawal, you take too much of something like Prozac, it can cause activation or keep you awake.

Have you ever felt better after taking your daily dose of Prozac?

Why do you think you cannot take mirtazapine again?

This is your histamine problem? How does Cod Liver Oil (Rosita) and probiotic help??

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This will help us figure out if any of your drugs are causing symptoms.

Lookinup

Symptoms are tingling of hands and legs at random times, usually accompanied by anxiety.  Not predictable throughout the day.  Need to continue taper of Prozac and get rid of it.  Have been on 5 mg for two weeks.  What do you suggest for next taper?  Took 10 mg for 6-1/2 weeks then began taper.  Thank you!

Have not felt better after taking dose.  I am a member of the Mirtazapine Withdrawal Group.  It is suggested that reinstating can bring on withdrawal symptoms and put you back to square one.  Feel congestion in nose and ear of and on.