Lookinup

Lookinup's intro: please help

Lookinup
3 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Yea, what a mess!  I guess I would start out with 5% and see how it goes. If I feel stable, maybe ask to make more frequent cuts than one month or try larger taper.  I really am learning a lot from you!  

Is that reasonable?

(1.) Mirt. August 2017, 7.5mgs tapered to 3.5mgs over year and stopped 3/19.  Reinstated to 1.8 and stopped in June 2019.  Horrible withdrawals ensued. Panic attacks, insomnia. (2.)Had been taking .75 Klonopin for at least 15 years. (3.)Prozac started June, 2019 due to withdrawal symptoms from Remeron.  Started at 10 mg and cut to 5mg. within 6 weeks. Stayed on 5 mg. Until starting liquid taper Dec. 2019.  Stopped due to sx.  Resumed 4/20, Still reducing. 3.3 mg to go.  (4.) Started Ambien June, 2019 due to insomnia from Remeron w/d. Together with Klonopin caused a lot of interdose withdrawal sx. Barely slept on the medication (2-3 hrs). (5.)75 mg. Tirosent five days and .88 two days (M,TH) taken first thing if a.m. for thyroid (Since 10/19)

REHAB (Feb 1, 2020) Family insisted on rehab to get rid of benzos.  Disaster as always stated!

Feb, 2020 Removed from Klonopin/Ambien and put on Librium.  Quickly reduced to 5 mg.  Left before being completely taken off.  Sent to behavioral health center (two weeks later) and given more drugs! (6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

12.5  (taken 3 x day -  2.5 a.m., 2.5 p.m. and 7.5 mg before bed) replaced Librium (7.)Remeron again!  3.75 mg.  8.  Seroquel 50 mg.nightly.

My intro thread - Lookinup's intro: please help

Altostrata

Please learn to give yourself permission for your decisions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Lookinup
1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Please learn to give yourself permission for your decisions.

Okay.  I will keep you informed.  Will you still stick with me either way?

(1.) Mirt. August 2017, 7.5mgs tapered to 3.5mgs over year and stopped 3/19.  Reinstated to 1.8 and stopped in June 2019.  Horrible withdrawals ensued. Panic attacks, insomnia. (2.)Had been taking .75 Klonopin for at least 15 years. (3.)Prozac started June, 2019 due to withdrawal symptoms from Remeron.  Started at 10 mg and cut to 5mg. within 6 weeks. Stayed on 5 mg. Until starting liquid taper Dec. 2019.  Stopped due to sx.  Resumed 4/20, Still reducing. 3.3 mg to go.  (4.) Started Ambien June, 2019 due to insomnia from Remeron w/d. Together with Klonopin caused a lot of interdose withdrawal sx. Barely slept on the medication (2-3 hrs). (5.)75 mg. Tirosent five days and .88 two days (M,TH) taken first thing if a.m. for thyroid (Since 10/19)

REHAB (Feb 1, 2020) Family insisted on rehab to get rid of benzos.  Disaster as always stated!

Feb, 2020 Removed from Klonopin/Ambien and put on Librium.  Quickly reduced to 5 mg.  Left before being completely taken off.  Sent to behavioral health center (two weeks later) and given more drugs! (6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

12.5  (taken 3 x day -  2.5 a.m., 2.5 p.m. and 7.5 mg before bed) replaced Librium (7.)Remeron again!  3.75 mg.  8.  Seroquel 50 mg.nightly.

Altostrata

Not if you keep on asking me about every tiny little thing. This is getting ridiculous. You are going to have to take responsibility for your decisions, you're not a child.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Lookinup

I understand. I won’t.  I will let you know if I can get the valium reduction going.  Thank you for everything!

Frogie
37 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Not defending Remeron. That is an awful drug.  I am getting a lot of numbness in my left foot and I am thinking it is coming from Mirt.  Also, had hormonal crash last year when I jumped off at 1.8 mg that caused major thyroid level problems. I would love for that to be gone, but I’m sure you had a time for it to happen.

I didn’t know you had a thyroid problem. Are you on meds? My thyroid was all over the place until last year it finally went down. Hope it is normal this year. I never took Remeron, but I’m sure it’s horrible. Just like all the others. Sorry you’re getting numbness that’s not fun at all. I hope you can get the liquid Valium and tablets and reduce that and see how it goes. It’s wonderful your dr likes this site. That helps a lot 😊

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!!

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Frogie

Hi:

I just wondered how you were doing?

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Lookinup
13 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Hi:

I just wondered how you were doing?

Thanks for checking up, Froggie. I will be tapering off Remeron again and trying to figure out a plan. Dr.s are willing go as low as 5% a month. I am wondering if I can up it a bit each month and whether I should use pills and liquid to do a daily micro taper or brassmonkey taper of total percent divided by three equal doses per week then break. That drug is a very tough one for me, the reason they doctors want it gone while having what one referred to as “Scaffolds” of Valium and tiny bit of prozac in place.  In any event, I have to figure a way to do this and still have a life.   Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I am reducing from 3.75 mg. 

Your timing for contact me could not have been better. Thank you!

Lookinup

Lookinup
2 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Thanks for checking up, Froggie. I will be tapering off Remeron again and trying to figure out a plan. Dr.s are willing go as low as 5% a month. I am wondering if I can up it a bit each month and whether I should use pills and liquid to do a daily micro taper or brassmonkey taper of total percent divided by three equal doses per week then break. That drug is a very tough one for me, the reason they doctors want it gone while having what one referred to as “Scaffolds” of Valium and tiny bit of prozac in place.  In any event, I have to figure a way to do this and still have a life.   Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I am reducing from 3.75 mg. 

Lookinup

Or, is it best to just do a straight percentage drop each month?  

Lookinup
6 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Or, is it best to just do a straight percentage drop each month?  

Also, Froggie, Last year when I jumped off of Remeron at 1.8 mg, and went into a tailspin, the Klonopin I was taking at the time started giving problems which it had not before.  But I was also taking Ambien from the horrible insomnia brought on by the the w/d/ I am hoping it was the combo of the k and Ambien that caused that and not dropping Remeron.  I am switched over to Valium now and just want that to stay QUIET during this taper until I can get to it.  Just for background.. Thanks again for reaching out!

Lookinup

Frogie
35 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Lookinup

Hi:

If the dr.’s aren’t budging about you reducing the Valium, and only reducing the Remeron, my personal opinion would be to do the Brassmonkey slide. It does take longer but is much gentler and easier on your system. You only taper 2.5% a week and hold for 2 weeks. If you have a really hard time with Remeron I think you would do well. If they are willing to do 5%, you could always taper 1.25% a week then hold for the 2 weeks. That would be very gentle I would think. The only thing about upping your taper is you are at a low dosage now and it gets harder the lower you go. I learned that the hard way. 

Hopefully I answered some of your quest questions. I’m not a mod, but going by my own experience through all of this😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

Lookinup
1 minute ago, Frogie said:

Hi:

If the dr.’s aren’t budging about you reducing the Valium, and only reducing the Remeron, my personal opinion would be to do the Brassmonkey slide. It does take longer but is much gentler and easier on your system. You only taper 2.5% a week and hold for 2 weeks. If you have a really hard time with Remeron I think you would do well. If they are willing to do 5%, you could always taper 1.25% a week then hold for the 2 weeks. That would be very gentle I would think. The only thing about upping your taper is you are at a low dosage now and it gets harder the lower you go. I learned that the hard way. 

Hopefully I answered some of your quest questions. I’m not a mod, but going by my own experience through all of this😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

I like that idea.  Thanks.  Tapering Remeron should not cause Valium to act up?  That is its own project!

Frogie
4 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

I like that idea.  Thanks.  Tapering Remeron should not cause Valium to act up?  That is its own project!

I’m not sure about the Valium. I know when I tapered off the Lexapro it didn’t bother my Xanax at all. Because you are eliminating an accelerator and Valium is a brake. 

Lookinup

Frogie,

That’s what I though after reading through which one to eliminate first.  I really think my problems started with adding the Ambien to Klonopin.  Would you suggest 5% a month for starters or a little higher, knowing I will have to lower it as the amount drops.

Thanks again!

Frogie
5 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Frogie,

That’s what I though after reading through which one to eliminate first.  I really think my problems started with adding the Ambien to Klonopin.  Would you suggest 5% a month for starters or a little higher, knowing I will have to lower it as the amount drops.

Thanks again!

I would start with the 5% a month and see how you handle that. Then you can go from there.

Lookinup
8 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Frogie,

Thanks again!

Congratulations on getting rid of Lexapro and getting close to the end of Xanax!  Hope I get to where you are someday!

Frogie
1 minute ago, Lookinup said:

Congratulations on getting rid of Lexapro and getting close to the end of Xanax!  Hope I get to where you are someday!

You will. It just takes time. This is my 6th and final med!

Lookinup
3 hours ago, Frogie said:

I would start with the 5% a month and see how you handle that. Then you can go from there.

Frogie,

Am I doing something wrong, trying to estimate the amount of time it should take to get off 3.75 mg. Remeron.  Using the brassmonkey slide at 1.25 per week and 2 tweak hole, it will take 7 years??

Frogie
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Frogie,

Am I doing something wrong, trying to estimate the amount of time it should take to get off 3.75 mg. Remeron.  Using the brassmonkey slide at 1.25 per week and 2 tweak hole, it will take 7 years??

Go to:

Simple BrassMonkey Slide tapering spreadsheet

I have an iPad so I can’t get into the spreadsheet. If you search for it in the search bar it should come up. Otherwise, just search spreadsheets and it should come up.

It is under how to calculate dosages and dilutions I think...

Edited by Frogie

Lookinup
2 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Go to:

I have an iPad so I can’t get into the spreadsheet. If you search for it in the search bar it should come up. Otherwise, just search spreadsheets and it should come up.

It is under how to calculate doses, I think...

My problem too.  I have an iPad.  Using the calculator, though, that you plus in the amount, percentage decrease each week and total hods, it take it out to 7 years.  

Frogie
Just now, Lookinup said:

My problem too.  I have an iPad.  Using the calculator, though, that you plus in the amount, percentage decrease each week and total hods, it take it out to 7 years.  

Give me a few minutes to pull it up on my computer...

Frogie

Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations

Try this. You might be able to open this with an iPad.

brassmonkey

For a 5% Brassmonkey Slide starting at 3.75 mgai that sounds about right. Reducing 5% every 6 weeks gives a taper half life of 18 months. Meaning you reduce your current dose by half every year and a half. This would require at least 5 reduction cycles to get to 0.1mgai which is getting close to a good jump of point. If you could tolerate a 10% taper it would still take over three (3) years, but that depends on how your body reacts to the more aggressive taper.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Frogie
1 minute ago, brassmonkey said:

For a 5% Brassmonkey Slide starting at 3.75 mgai that sounds about right. Reducing 5% every 6 weeks gives a taper half life of 18 months. Meaning you reduce your current dose by half every year and a half. This would require at least 5 reduction cycles to get to 0.1mgai which is getting close to a good jump of point. If you could tolerate a 10% taper it would still take over three (3) years, but that depends on how your body reacts to the more aggressive taper.

@brassmonkey

Thanks! You’re so good at all of this... 

Lookinup
32 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Go to:

It is under how to calculate dosages and dilutions I think...

That’s better. Thanks. Still alarming 84 cycles of 24 days at 5% reduction = 2016 days/months = 5.6 years to come off 3.5 mg.?  

Frogie
Just now, Lookinup said:

That’s better. Thanks. Still alarming 84 cycles of 24 days at 5% reduction = 2016 days/months = 5.6 years to come off 3.5 mg.?  

Much better. Brassmonkey is very knowledgeable about the 1/2 life’s and such.

But I think you’ll do better with his slide than a straight taper. It’s much gentler on your system.

Lookinup
25 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@brassmonkey

25 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@brassmonkey

Thank you Brassmonkey and Frogie!

Frogie
Just now, Lookinup said:

You’re welcome!

Lookinup
1 hour ago, Lookinup said:

Frogie, From what you have heard, are most better suited for 5% than 10 a month?  I am concerned about the reaction I have to Valium for that long of a period.  You have been very helpful.  Sounds like the site has been very busy.  I feel so fortunate to be a member.  I need you all.  Thank you so much.

Lookinup

Frogie
1 minute ago, Lookinup said:

Frogie, From what you have heard, are most better suited for 5% than 10 a month?  I am concerned about the reaction I have to Valium for that long of a period.  You have been very helpful.  Sounds like the site has been very busy.  I feel so fortunate to be a member.  I need you all.  Thank you so much.

Lookinup

I was just basing the 5% on you stating you had a hard time tapering last time. I just thought it might be easier for you. It’s really your decision how you want to do your taper, either 5% or 10%. 
I’m glad I can help you.

Lookinup

I guess it is through trial that I will know what suits best at various doses between 5 -10% Thanks!

Frogie
1 hour ago, Lookinup said:

I guess it is through trial that I will know what suits best at various doses between 5 -10% Thanks!

That’s true. Everyone is different and you will learn what your body can handle as you do this.

Lookinup

Now I am in the right place. I will be tapering Valium using brass monkey slide. Altostrata, you had mentioned before since I am try to reduce doses due to paradoxical reaction to go from my first reduction of 2.19 to 2.0 then work on my night time dose of 7 mg.  I am feeling the 5% drop in Remeron from when I thought I was stuck tapering that first. Would you suggest I feel better from that then dive in with this plan?   Looking forward to moving on!

Altostrata

What does this mean "I am feeling the 5% drop in Remeron"? How are you feeling this? When did you make this change?

Lookinup

I am feeling withdrawals.  I made the change about a week ago when I was only able to get my Remeron filled at 5% reduction.  It’s all I had because Dr. was adamant about tapering that drug before Valium.  Pleaded with him to give me the regular dose of Remeron and the liquid for tapering Valium because I have lots of support and want to get on with it and he finally acquiesced.   He also gave me liquid suspension for Remeron for flexibility and even said may want to taper both at same time—NO.  My question is should I stabilize at 3.5 or go back to 3.75, my original reinstated dose of Remeron before Valium taper?  I cannot believe all of that had to happen! That Remeron is a nightmare of a drug for me to come off.

Lookinup

I am thinking it is withdrawal symptoms, but could be Remeron symptoms in general. I have not felt right since jumping off lasted year at this time at 1.8 mg.