Lookinup

Lookinup's intro: please help

Shep
13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It appears to me that overall, you are taking too much Valium. If I were you, I'd stop tapering Prozac and adjust the Valium dosing. @Shep, what do you think?

On 5/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, Shep said:

Why are you taking Valium during the day?  Please note that valium has a long enough half-life that it doesn't need to be taken so often.  I'm not sure that moving the total dose to night will help, as you already have two sedating nightly drugs. So it may be the morning Valium you'll want to target to reduce next. 

Alto, I think we're on the same page. Yes, the daytime Valium is likely causing problems. 

@Lookinup Please continue your notes. Also, please add the date you went on Valium and came off Librium in your signature. We also need the dates you were on Librium. It's possible some of your symptoms are due to the crossover. Your signature is here:

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Lookinup

Tuesday, May 19 - Wed, May 20

6:30 dinner; runny nose

7:00 Magnesium - no noticeable effect

7:30 - very LOUD stomach noises; headache

8:00 Valium - increased heart rate

8:30 Felt goosebump sensation cover scalp and quickly dissipate.

9:00 Remeron 3.75 mg and Seroquel 50 mg. - Asleep within 1/2 hr.

1:00 Awoke - back to sleep

3:15 Awoke - pounding heart - took a few hours to go back to sleep

7:00 Tirosent (thyroid)- Woke hr later than usual.

8:00 Prozac .78 ml 

8:45 - slight tingling in left hand

9:00 - Valium 2.5 mg. - Taking this dose at this time and 2:00 because that it what was given to me

at the behavioral center and I didn’t want to make any more changes or go into withdrawals.

9:30 Fish Oil (2 capsules)

9:45  Slight skin burning in thigh 

Note:  I have felt all of these symptoms while taking Klonopin/Ambien and going through Remeron w/d at the same time.  During the worst of the Klonopin/Ambien crash, however, I I had lots of painful needles and twitching of large and small muscle spasms, twitches also. Current symptoms are the ones that are still apparent. The benzos were crossed over twice:  Klonopin to Librium and Librium to Valium within 3 weeks. And at one point C/T Librium before horrible effect/consequences and had to get back to level.  I  have not felt well since before d/c Remeron last spring.  All psychiatrist can say is the symptoms are the same for benzos as AD’s so doesn’t know.

10:00 Runny nose constant; upper arm muscle aches.  I can’t believe I was put back on that Remeron!  Next time, I am tapering that at 5% or less!

11:30  Have to get started on errands.  Tired!

2:00 Valium 2.5 mg. Very noticeable heart rate increase;

3:00 runny nose; scalp sensation again, anxiety, headache ,numb hand as I type. Heart rate still up and pounding.  Dread taking that 8 p.m. dose of 7.5 mg!

4:16. Same. I know this is not quite 12 hours, but wanted to get it off to you.  Get this, my mom told me today her dr.gave her something to help her sleep. Looked at the bottle and it was Xanax (she’s 85!) With no mention of only take periodically, etc.   Told her THROW IT OUT and stay up until you can’t stay up any longer!  Got her Magnesium and Melatonin gummies.

I hope these notes are helpful. I try to keep busy to ignore what is going on as much as possible.  As always, thank you for your attention to my mess!!

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, we need to see your notes every day. We're mostly interested in symptom changes, not so much what you're doing.

Yes, we need to see your notes every day. We're mostly interested in symptom changes, not so much what you're doing.

(1.) Mirt. August 2017, 7.5mgs tapered to 3.5mgs over year and stopped 3/19.  Reinstated to 1.8 and stopped in June 2019.  Horrible withdrawals ensued. Panic attacks, insomnia. (2.)Had been taking .75 Klonopin for at least 15 years. (3.)Prozac started June, 2019 due to withdrawal symptoms from Remeron.  Started at 10 mg and cut to 5mg. within 6 weeks. Stayed on 5 mg. Until starting liquid taper Dec. 2019.  Stopped due to sx.  Resumed 4/20, Still reducing. 3.3 mg to go.  (4.) Started Ambien June, 2019 due to insomnia from Remeron w/d. Together with Klonopin caused a lot of interdose withdrawal sx. Barely slept on the medication (2-3 hrs). (5.)75 mg. Tirosent five days and .88 two days (M,TH) taken first thing if a.m. for thyroid (Since 10/19)

REHAB (Feb 1, 2020) Family insisted on rehab to get rid of benzos.  Disaster as always stated!

Feb, 2020 Removed from Klonopin/Ambien and put on Librium.  Quickly reduced to 5 mg.  Left before being completely taken off.  Sent to behavioral health center (two weeks later) and given more drugs! (6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

12.5  (taken 3 x day -  2.5 a.m., 2.5 p.m. and 7.5 mg before bed) replaced Librium (7.)Remeron again!  3.75 mg.  8.  Seroquel 50 mg.nightly.

My intro thread - Lookinup's intro: please help

Lookinup

I’ll start on new new notes.

(1.) Mirt. August 2017, 7.5mgs tapered to 3.5mgs over year and stopped 3/19.  Reinstated to 1.8 and stopped in June 2019.  Horrible withdrawals ensued. Panic attacks, insomnia. (2.)Had been taking .75 Klonopin for at least 15 years. (3.)Prozac started June, 2019 due to withdrawal symptoms from Remeron.  Started at 10 mg and cut to 5mg. within 6 weeks. Stayed on 5 mg. Until starting liquid taper Dec. 2019.  Stopped due to sx.  Resumed 4/20, Still reducing. 3.3 mg to go.  (4.) Started Ambien June, 2019 due to insomnia from Remeron w/d. Together with Klonopin caused a lot of interdose withdrawal sx. Barely slept on the medication (2-3 hrs). (5.)75 mg. Tirosent five days and .88 two days (M,TH) taken first thing if a.m. for thyroid (Since 10/19)

REHAB (Feb 1, 2020) Family insisted on rehab to get rid of benzos.  Disaster as always stated!

Feb, 2020 Removed from Klonopin/Ambien and put on Librium.  Quickly reduced to 5 mg.  Left before being completely taken off.  Sent to behavioral health center (two weeks later) and given more drugs! (6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

12.5  (taken 3 x day -  2.5 a.m., 2.5 p.m. and 7.5 mg before bed) replaced Librium (7.)Remeron again!  3.75 mg.  8.  Seroquel 50 mg.nightly.

Shep

Two requests, Lookinup:

• Please add AM and PM to your notes. It gets really confusing without having this noted. 
  • Please add the dose amount to ALL the drugs and supplements you list 

(6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

Thanks for updating your signature to include the date. You likely are now dependent on Valium, so reductions will need to be at the usual 10% or less per month. 

Do you find the morning Valium dose to be sedating? 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Lookinup
8 minutes ago, Shep said:

Two requests, Lookinup:

• Please add AM and PM to your notes. It gets really confusing without having this noted. 
  • Please add the dose amount to ALL the drugs and supplements you list 

Thanks for updating your signature to include the date. You likely are now dependent on Valium, so reductions will need to be at the usual 10% or less per month. 

Do you find the morning Valium dose to be sedating? 

Ok. The morning dose is the only one I find sedating maybe because I am still feeling the effects of the Remeron and Seroquel.  Would it best for me to pause the Prozac and start 10% reduction of a.m. Valium?  Why do yo think I get increased heart rate after taking Valium?

Does the stomach noises sound typical for benzo problems?  I will keep notes. I would like to get started asap on reduction.  Thank you for all of your support.

Shep
8 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Ok. The morning dose is the only one I find sedating maybe because I am still feeling the effects of the Remeron and Seroquel.  Would it best for me to pause the Prozac and start 10% reduction of a.m. Valium?

Yes, this sounds like a very good plan. If you feel that's too drastic, you could reduce by just 5% to start. 

(6.)March, 2020 Taken off Librium and put on Valium

12.5  (taken 3 x day -  2.5 a.m., 2.5 p.m. and 7 mg before bed) 

Please verify how much Valium you are taking. You have "12.5" in your signature, but 2.5 mg + 2.5 mg + 7 mg = 12 mg. 

11 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Why do yo think I get increased heart rate after taking Valium?

It could be a paradoxical reaction due to taking so many sedating drugs throughout the day and into the evening. 

12 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Does the stomach noises sound typical for benzo problems?

GI problems are related to all psychiatric drugs. 

Lookinup
7 minutes ago, Shep said:

Yes, this sounds like a very good plan. If you feel that's too drastic, you could reduce by just 5% to start. 

Please verify how much Valium you are taking. You have "12.5" in your signature, but 2.5 mg + 2.5 mg + 7 mg = 12 mg. 

It could be a paradoxical reaction due to taking so many sedating drugs throughout the day and into the evening. 

GI problems are related to all psychiatric drugs. 

It is 7.5 at night, 2.5 twice a day.  At this point, can I plan Valium reduction?

Shep
3 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

It is 7.5 at night, 2.5 twice a day.

Thanks for this. I've updated your signature to reflect 7.5 mg for your nightly dose. 

At this point, can I plan Valium reduction?

Yes, let's see if a decrease will help with the paradoxical effects. 

You're taking 12.5 mg daily,  if you wish to reduce by 10%, which is 1.25 mg, taken off the morning dose. 

So your schedule now is:

1.25 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

If you feel this is too much, you could reduce by 5% (which would be a .625 mg reduction off that first dose, so you would take 1.875 mg in the morning, 2.5 mg afternoon, and 7.5 mg in the evening).

Please hold off on any more Prozac reductions. 

Please keep posting your daily notes and let us know how you do.

Lookinup
6 minutes ago, Shep said:

Thanks for this. I've updated your signature to reflect 7.5 mg for your nightly dose. 

You're taking 12.5 mg daily,  if you wish to reduce by 10%, which is 1.25 mg, taken off the morning dose. 

So your schedule now is:

1.25 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

If you feel this is too much, you could reduce by 5% (which would be a .625 mg reduction off that first dose, so you would take 1.875 mg in the morning, 2.5 mg afternoon, and 7.5 mg in the evening).

Thanks. I’ll try it this morning and keep posting.  Is running nose typical of all psy. Drugs also?

Lookinup
10 hours ago, Shep said:

So your schedule now is:

1.25 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

Will post tomorrow. Did.not start reduction of valium today, looking for scale.  What I am definitely noticing is increased heart rate after each dose.  And tingling hands. New symptom today was jaw tension, just like after stopping Remeron.  First time I experienced hand tingling too was after stopping that. I  am so frustrated by all of this. Reinstatement of Remeron 9 months later may not have worked at all!  Thanks for listening!

Shep
12 hours ago, Lookinup said:

New symptom today was jaw tension, just like after stopping Remeron.

Do you have a nightguard to wear when you're sleeping? If not, you may want to contact your dentist and inquire about having one made. A less expensive solution is to get one from the pharmacy or online. If you think you're grinding your teeth (which is very common during withdrawal), a nightguard can save you a lot of dental work by protecting your teeth. 

Lookinup
1 hour ago, Shep said:

Do you have a nightguard to wear when you're sleeping? If not, you may want to contact your dentist and inquire about having one made. A less expensive solution is to get one from the pharmacy or online. If you think you're grinding your teeth (which is very common during withdrawal), a nightguard can save you a lot of dental work by protecting your teeth. 

I will get one.  When I took the Seroquel and Remeron last night, heart rate went up and felt very anxious. Same with the Valium dose last night.  Do some get paradoxical reaction?  What causes that, too much sedative meds?  Destabilized CNS?  I will send notes later.  Thanks!

Lookinup

Thursday, May 21 - Friday

2:00 p.m. Valium 2.5 mg - raised heart rate

3:30 - Still feeling anxious; tingling hand; runny nose; jaw tension

Same

8:00 p.m.Valium 7.5 mg - increased heart rate

9:00 p.m. Remeron 3.75 mg. And Seroquel 50 mg. - increase heart rate; anxiety

11:30. Still up; anxiety

12:00 a.m.glass of milk

Finally fell asleep

6:00 Tirosent (Thyroid)

8:00 A.m.78 ml. Prozac - no effect

9:00 A.m.Valium 2.5 (just ordered scale to reduce o 1.25); hopefully by Monday.

9:30 A..Fish Oil

2:00 p.m. valium - same heart rate increase

3:13 anxiety; always worried about this drug problem

Lookinup

Submitted notes that reflect same symptoms: increased heart rate with Valium and last night, Seroquel and Remeron;

tingling hand; anxiety.  Maybe until my scale comes, I can just half a 2.5 piece of Valium in the morning?  This is 10%..  Is that  for the month or do I assess things in two weeks for possible further reduction?  I am a little worried about feeling so strange after taking meds.  

Can’t wait to see reduction of something!  As for the Prozac, nobody gets why I can’t just walk away from .78 ml when patients are told to stop at 5 mg.  The way I see it, 5mg was 100% for me.  Walking away at 2.? Is still like walking away from 50% of my total dosage despite the amount.  Maybe that is what went wrong with Remeron. It was only 1.8 mg, but it was 50% of the dosage. I took. So, looking at things that way, it explains why you can’t just walk away from “low” doses when you’ve only ever been on low doses.  Does that make sense?

I really appreciate your help.  I have a Zoom conference with my psy on Tues. I will ask him for a RX for liquid as well.  He wanted me to get off Prozac first.

Thank you,

Lookinup

Lookinup

Here is another thought.  I was off 1.8 of Remeron for 9 months and was reinstated at 3.75.  Could that be part of my problems right now?  

Could that have caused me to have this reaction to meds?   How do I know? Ugh!!!

Shep
On 5/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, Lookinup said:

2:00 p.m. Valium 2.5 mg - raised heart rate

3:30 - Still feeling anxious; tingling hand; runny nose; jaw tension

Same

8:00 p.m.Valium 7.5 mg - increased heart rate

How long after you take the 2 PM Valium do you get an increased heart rate?

Do you feel that symptom subside before you take the next dose at 8 PM? 

Lookinup

Hi Shep,

Right away after taking it.  Yes, symptoms subside long before 8:00 dose.  

Thank you,

Lookinup

Altostrata

Your Valium schedule is inconsistent in your daily notes. Please be sure to take your drugs at the same times and dosages every day.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:24 AM, Lookinup said:

....When I took the Seroquel and Remeron last night, heart rate went up and felt very anxious. Same with the Valium dose last night.  Do some get paradoxical reaction?  What causes that, too much sedative meds?  Destabilized CNS?  I will send notes later.  Thanks!

Yes, that is a paradoxical reaction. It appears you are taking too many brakes -- drugs intended to make you sleep, probably. Valium is one of them. Reducing Valium may help throughout.

Prozac probably is not causing any problems right now.

When did you start Seroquel? Please clarify your signature.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:23 PM, Lookinup said:

Get this, my mom told me today her dr.gave her something to help her sleep. Looked at the bottle and it was Xanax (she’s 85!) With no mention of only take periodically, etc.   Told her THROW IT OUT and stay up until you can’t stay up any longer!  Got her Magnesium and Melatonin gummies.

Most likely, a little magnesium with a melatonin gummy will be enough. The gummy may even be too strong and she might do fine with part of one.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Lookinup
23 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Your Valium schedule is inconsistent in your daily notes. Please be sure to take your drugs at the same times and dosages every day.

Yes, that is a paradoxical reaction. It appears you are taking too many brakes -- drugs intended to make you sleep, probably. Valium is one of them. Reducing Valium may help throughout.

Prozac probably is not causing any problems right now.

When did you start Seroquel? Please clarify your signature.

Most likely, a little magnesium with a melatonin gummy will be enough. The gummy may even be too strong and she might do fine with part of one.

Thank you for your thoughts about the paradoxical effect.  Yes, I am looking forward to reducing Valium. I have an online appointment with psy.on Tuesday. I will ask for liquid and reduce by 10%. and send notes.  I will correct signature.  Started Seroquel in March 2020 at rehab!  That drug scares me.

Altostrata

After getting the Valium straightened out, I might reduce Seroquel next.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Lookinup

How long do you think it will take for the Valium taper—very conservatively.

Altostrata

What we want to do is reduce the Valium until you are no longer having a paradoxical reaction to it. This may be only a reduction or two.

Shep
17 hours ago, Lookinup said:

Right away after taking it.  Yes, symptoms subside long before 8:00 dose.  

You may be reacting to Valium's peak concentration time, which is 1 - 1.5 hours. 

12 hours ago, Lookinup said:

I will ask for liquid and reduce by 10%. and send notes.  

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

Let's us know how you do. 

Lookinup

Altostrata and Shep,

Do you think it will be okay dragging Remeron and Seroquel out as long as Valium taper takes.  I am sure it will be a long time, but I don’t want to worry about tolerance,, etc. with benzos again. So I don’t want to waste any more time.   That started all of my problems after Mirtz withdrawal.  Thanks for all your help.

Lookinup

Altostrata

We want to eliminate the paradoxical reaction from Valium first before planning next steps. We advise changing only one drug at a time.

Lookinup

Thanks for getting back to me. I am petrified of touching that drug, but I hope if I do it the RIGHT WAY, I can handle it.  Do you like the Brass Monkey slide or DLMT.  Builder from Benzobuddies gave me directions for that.  

Respecfully,

Lookinup 

Shep
11 hours ago, Lookinup said:

Do you like the Brass Monkey slide or DLMT.  Builder from Benzobuddies gave me directions for that.  

We've already discussed this earlier in your thread. Please see:

On 5/18/2020 at 8:51 AM, Shep said:

I'm not a fan of the DLMT, especially when you get down to the low doses. Each daily unit reduction needs to be multiplied by 30 to get the total monthly reduction. As you go down in dose, it's hard to reduce within a 10% framework because you have to be able to make very small daily reductions, which become impossible to get at some point. 

A better taper plan is the Brassmonkey Slide, which involves 4 weekly reductions instead of one large reduction. It can be modified for less than 10% a month.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Lookinup, if you're more comfortable with Benzo Buddies' advice, please stay on Benzo Buddies. It's going to get too confusing getting differing tapering advice from multiple forums. 

Lookinup

I am hanging with you and Altostrata.  Just looked at ways people taper there.  I’m going to try the Brass Monkey. Thanks!

Shep

I am hanging with you and Altostrata.  Just looked at ways people taper there.  I’m going to try the Brass Monkey. Thanks!

Good to hear. Please let us know how you do. 

Lookinup

Shep, will you help me with the math of the first round of this 10% reduction from 12.5 using the Brass Monkey?  Just want to be sure to get it straight. Thank you.  Lookinup

Erell

Hello Lookinup, 

in this topic you'll find very good calculators, including Brassmonkey Slide

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/9167-how-to-calculate-dosages-and-dilutions-spreadsheets-and-calculators/

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam (long half-life)

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper, 3% drops. 

2018 to August 2019 : weaning Paroxetine 20mg. 3% every 15 days.

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg) because of a big wave. 

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020-August 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21457-erell-struggling-with-paroxetine/?do=findComment&comment=499847

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication : 7mg Fluoxetine + 1mg Diazepam + toothpick Paroxetine 

Lookinup

Thanks, Shep.  The built in calculator helps a lot!  Do you suggest I combine the 2 day doses (9.a.m and 2p.m.) into one?  Which does do I reduce from day or night?  

Lookinup
23 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

Thanks, Shep.  The built in calculator helps a lot!  Do you suggest I combine the 2 day doses (9.a.m and 2p.m.) into one?  Which does do I reduce from day or night?  

Thank you also, Erell!  

Shep
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Lookinup said:

The thanks go to Erell,  who graciously stopped by to offer the calculators. I'm glad you find them helpful. 

But to answer your question, no, let's not combine the 2 day doses. If your symptoms are coming from a paradoxical reaction, you don't want to increase the dosage taken at a time, which is what going from 3 (smaller) doses to 2 (larger) doses would do. 

21 hours ago, Lookinup said:

Shep, will you help me with the math of the first round of this 10% reduction from 12.5 using the Brass Monkey?  

You would reduce 1.25 mg, taken off the morning dose. Please post if you need more help with the weekly calculations for the Brassmonkey Slide or if you're doing okay with the spreadsheets / calculators.

Edited by Shep
added info

Lookinup
2 hours ago, Shep said:

The thanks go to Erell,  who graciously stopped by to offer the calculators. I'm glad you find them helpful. 

But to answer your question, no, let's not combine the 2 day doses. If your symptoms are coming from a paradoxical reaction, you don't want to increase the dosage taken at a time, which is what going from 3 (smaller) doses to 2 (larger) doses would do. 

You would reduce 1.25 mg, taken off the morning dose. Please post if you need more help with the weekly calculations for the Brassmonkey Slide or if you're doing okay with the spreadsheets / calculators.

So, using Brassmonkey, first cut is 25% of 1.25 right?

Shep
13 minutes ago, Lookinup said:

So, using Brassmonkey, first cut is 25% of 1.25 right?

Yes, you would remove .3125 mg, which is 25% of the 1.25 mg. You may want to round up the numbers to 2 decimal points to make it easier. 

So your schedule for the first month of weekly reductions would be (rounded up): 

Week 1: 

2.19 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

Week 2: 

1.88 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

Week 3: 

1.57 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night

Week 4: 

1.25 mg Valium morning

2.5 mg Valium afternoon

7.5 mg Valium night