luvkids: What do I do now?

luvkids

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  So your sleep has got worse since you started reducing?

If yes, then combining that with the changing in how you feel during the day, seems to indicate that it's the reductions causing the symptoms.

You could either do a long hold or make a tiny updose.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvkids

• ChessieCat

• Gridley

• bijay

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this feeeling in the past too, when sleeping at night would make me feel more drugged in the daytime, and a night with no sleep made me feel wired the next day.   Maybe our bodies metabolize drugs more slowly during sleep. 

On nights when you do sleep, do you sleep in?  If so, try limiting your sleep to a minimum amount, say 5-6 hours or even less, whatever you think you could get by on.  This can help get you back to sleeping every night.

Started .25 mg. clonazapam Oct. 2016

Started 10 mg. Celexa Dec. 2016

Started 10 mg. amitriptyline January 2017

Also took 60 mg. Dexilant Oct. 2016 through April 2017, successfully tapered off

Stopped Celexa successfully Oct. 2017

Fast taper of amitriptyline Dec. 2017, had major WD symptoms and reinstated at 10 mg. Jan. 2018

Slow amitryptyline taper started Mar. 2019, reduced from 10 mg. to 0.93 mg. currently

Also still taking .25 mg. clonazapam daily in late evening

I can't really see any pattern to my sleep since my sleep has been all over the map.  Since the 2nd reduction I have been sleeping fairly well (7-8 hours) every other night, with NO sleep on the alternate nights.  Prior to that I averaged about 4 hours per night, with nights of 0-7 hours. Question: what type of syringe do you use for liquid medication? The one from the pharmacy has a tip on it, as do most I see online, which is not included in the measurement of med in the syringe.  So while the measurement lines begin above the tip, the tip

itself also has a bit of liquid in it when I measure out a dose.  So how do I account for that amount in the tip? Does that make sense? Is there a different type of syringe?

Paxil, 20 mg. daily for last 20 years

Began tapering October 2018.  Took last dose May 2019.

Xanax .25 mg used rarely, just for insomnia.  Maybe took it once a month (or less) over past 10 years.

Remeron 7.5 mg. started 8/2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't worry about the tip or whether there is liquid left in the syringe.

The most important thing is to do everything the same way every time.  That is called being consistent and gives the best accuracy.

With regards to whether you should hold or reduce again, that is up to you.  However, if you do decide to reduce again you also have the option of reducing by less than 10%.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks.  Doctor told me to reduce dose by 1mg to see if that would stop the sedation feeling, but that would have been a 20% drop from where I was, and I had only been there for 1 week.  I tried .5 mg drop for 2 nights and today feel like I am having withdrawal symptoms: head feels hot, it is spinning and pulsing and lots of dizziness, plus increased anxiety.   My plan is to go back to the dosage of 2 days ago.  I assume that will eliminate those symptoms since it's only been 2 days.

Xanax .25 mg used rarely, just for insomnia.  Maybe took it once a month (or less) over past 10 years.

• Moderator Emeritus
48 minutes ago, luvkids said:

My plan is to go back to the dosage of 2 days ago.  I assume that will eliminate those symptoms since it's only been 2 days.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee but hopefully it will work.

• 2 months later...

When the term "stabilize" is used here, what exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that your symptoms have stopped getting worse?  Or you are having no new symptoms?  How long should you hold at a particular level to insure stabilization?  If taking a med drop after a month seems to increase the symptoms, what do you do?  Do withdrawal symptoms usually start the day after you take a drop?

Edited by Gridley

• Gridley changed the title to luv kids: What does "stabilization" look like?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, luvkinds.

"Stabilize" as used here means your symptoms are pretty much (but not totally) the same from day to day, without big swings or changes.  Another way to describe "stabilized" is that you feel more or less the same degree of "blah" (not great or even good but tolerable)from day to day.

Stability

How long i takes to stabilize varies from person to person and situation to situation.  See the information on dose change events in the above link.

6 hours ago, luvkids said:

If taking a med drop after a month seems to increase the symptoms, what do you do?

Hold until you stabilize.  Do not continue tapering.

6 hours ago, luvkids said:

Do withdrawal symptoms usually start the day after you take a drop?

Again, it varies.  It could start the next day or take longer.  It takes a bit more than a week for a dose change to register in the brain.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Your Introduction topic is here:  luvkids-what-do-i-do-now

Only one Introduction topic per member which keeps your history in one place and is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

"However, I think you should consider some things before reinstating. 

You did a very fast taper of 7 months after being on Paxil for 20 years."

This just summarizes my problem analyses. That was way (!!!) to fast to taper paxil after 20y. So that's definitely what backdrafted very heavily on you. 

Hope you will regain your balance. Wish you strenght.

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).