SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Enid: rapid cycling - manic, depressive episodes

Enid

Hi Altostrata,

Thank you for those links. I will read them. 

4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How does this "cycling" relate to your menstrual schedule?

During the first two weeks of my menstrual cycle I have more depressed days then not. I have about five depressed days in a row, then I have a good day, then I have another four or five bad days. 

During the last ten days of my menstrual cycle, I have started to have alternating days of feeling happy and sad. I didn’t notice this pattern until the beginning of August this year. Before that I had basicly all bad days. 

When I have happier days, I do have underlying anxiety and uneasiness. I also am more irritable and may get angry a little quicker.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

When you add worries -- which are perfectly normal -- to any adverse effects you might be feeling from the drugs, it makes it hard to tell which are your emotions and which are drug-induced symptoms.

So you are thinking that the ‘underlying’ depression might be causing these bad days?

Venlafaxine, 112.5mg for 10 years. Lithium (1200mg)  for 20 years. Tapered off Litium from March 2018 through September 2018. September 2018 until now: 10 mg Lithium Orotate. Tapered off Venlafaxine, starting on October 2018 (75mg) to March 20, 2019 (12.5mg). Severe anxiety as side effect of Venlafaxine taper. April 17, 2019 (19 mg Venlafaxine)  May 1, 2019 (37.5 mg Venlafaxine) May 14, 2019 (75 mg Venlafaxine) June 18 (112.5mg Venlafaxine) 

List of drugs taken: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21346-enid-rapid-cycling-manic-depressive-episodes/?do=findComment&comment=448517

• Administrator

No, I think you might have hormonal issues. You might look into non-drug ways to deal with PMS and other menstrual patterns.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, @Altostrata  Would non drug ways be Progesteron cream? I have some of that prescribed to me by my naturopath.

What do you think I should do with Effexor? Shall I start tapering?

Venlafaxine, 112.5mg for 10 years. Lithium (1200mg)  for 20 years. Tapered off Litium from March 2018 through September 2018. September 2018 until now: 10 mg Lithium Orotate. Tapered off Venlafaxine, starting on October 2018 (75mg) to March 20, 2019 (12.5mg). Severe anxiety as side effect of Venlafaxine taper. April 17, 2019 (19 mg Venlafaxine)  May 1, 2019 (37.5 mg Venlafaxine) May 14, 2019 (75 mg Venlafaxine) June 18 (112.5mg Venlafaxine) 

List of drugs taken: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21346-enid-rapid-cycling-manic-depressive-episodes/?do=findComment&comment=448517

I haven’t done any daily logs this past week, but I’ve been in bed an awful lot. I feel so very depressed with no motivation or energy to do anything. I’ve been feeling suicidal as well. The fact that I have two young children and four older ones and a caring husband (who would be even worse off when they would have to deal with me taking my life) has prevented me from making an actual suicide plan. I do also feel like a huge burden to them and do also believe at times that they are better off without me.

As a little girl I used to wish I had never been born. I still wish this. Who knows for sure what will happen to our souls when we die. I just want to cease to exist, if that were possible. 

I did feel a little hopeful yesterday. I hadn’t slept all night and then I often tend to feel better the next day. As if my body still thinks it’s evening all day long.  (Evenings are generally a little better) I started reading Kelly Brogan’s book and it gave me hope. The problem is that I feel so very depressed on a hard day like today that I cannot do much of the things that are good for me, such as eat well, meditate, exercise. I feel like I am in a visual circle on bad days like today. 

Oh, and guess what? I got my period 14 days after my last period!!! Must be a peri menopause thing. And the first 10 days of my menstrual cycle tend to be the worst. So now I get no good days. Not much anyways. 

I will study Kelly Brogan more and try to implement what she says. I wonder if there are others here who have read her books and have been successful with following her advice. It is hard for me to change my eating habits, especially with having a family. 

I had another difficult day with lots of lying in bed. I feel so depressed that I can’t get out of bed. It is so embarrassing. I am thankful I can share this on here without judgement though.

Right now it is almost 1:30am and I can’t sleep anymore after having been in bed for almost 48 hours straight. I’m having a clear mind and am able to concentrate. Part of me doesn’t even want to go to sleep, because then I will wake up depressed again. It seems that if I don’t sleep, my body won’t get depressed again either. So maybe I’ll stay up all night, so I can have a happy and productive day tomorrow.

I wonder if I can start tapering. I know I am supposed to find non-drug ways of coping with menstrual problems. (Which isn’t easy because I don’t know exactly how my hormones are unbalanced) But maybe it’s exactly Effexor that is causing my hormonal imbalances. That could be the case, right? I am wondering if I shouldn’t start at least a 5% reduction.