Saffron: tapered fluoxetine fast now don't know what to do

Saffron

Thanks for all this Sass. Makes total sense. I will fix a med time, as you suggest. Child good, hubby good (ish). Seeing consultant re dodgy back tomorrow. Hopefully something some physio will fix.  A good day today. Little bit forgetful and had a little anxiety but also did some good work, enjoyed my family and laughed a lot. 

I was short tempered yesterday but not today and I was pushed! Ha. 

Setting alarm on phone now re meds. 

Fluoxetine (depression) c2004, 20mg daily. Tapered with UK Doctor advice 2012 (skipping days method). I recall a similar taper and period off fluoxetine sometime during that time (of I think a

couple of years) but unclear memory.  Back on fluoxetine post partum April 2016 due to 'severe anxiety and mild depression'. Tried to taper (same method as above) 2018. Vivid and anxious real-life nightmares made me go back to 20mg daily. I recall at some point in my history the dose was increased but no recall when. Tapered same method May 2019: 20mg every other day for 3 weeks, then every 3rd day for 3 weeks then stopped. Vivid dreams half way. Symptoms built from then on. By 4 weeks post taper, very short tempered, fatigued, tearful and crying daily (from never crying), congested.
Blood test showed very low Vit D in April. Supplements: Took very high 7 week course, followed by maintaining 800 iu Vit D daily. Occasional use of codeine/paracetamol for headaches

Reinstatement after 6 weeks, from 7 Sep 2019 at 2mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Saff

21 hours ago, Saffron said:

good (ish)

Does he know that's what you think?:rolleyes:

How has today gone?

Sass

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hi Sass. Ha ha. He does. 😉

Yesterday was very full on at work. Bit short tempered/irritated by people (but shouted at my computer instead of me). Some anxiety. Otherwise good. 

Fluoxetine (depression) c2004, 20mg daily. Tapered with UK Doctor advice 2012 (skipping days method). I recall a similar taper and period off fluoxetine sometime during that time (of I think a

couple of years) but unclear memory.  Back on fluoxetine post partum April 2016 due to 'severe anxiety and mild depression'. Tried to taper (same method as above) 2018. Vivid and anxious real-life nightmares made me go back to 20mg daily. I recall at some point in my history the dose was increased but no recall when. Tapered same method May 2019: 20mg every other day for 3 weeks, then every 3rd day for 3 weeks then stopped. Vivid dreams half way. Symptoms built from then on. By 4 weeks post taper, very short tempered, fatigued, tearful and crying daily (from never crying), congested.
Blood test showed very low Vit D in April. Supplements: Took very high 7 week course, followed by maintaining 800 iu Vit D daily. Occasional use of codeine/paracetamol for headaches

• Moderator Emeritus

Have a good day weekend tomorrow.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

Have a good day weekend tomorrow.

Thanks Sass. You too. Will monitor and keep checking in. Anxiety has gone through the roof on previous weekends. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Saff.

Good news.

If you have had no issues for the last couple of days we can reduce contact to a couple of times a week.

Please note we will still be here for you and it is important you advise us of any uptick in symptoms, or any new symptoms.

As for the weekend, if you take the meds at the same time you should be fine.

Try and enjoy it.

Be nice to hubby, even if he is a Lancastrian.🤣 or he might do a 🏃‍♂️.

Hope your son is ok.

Above all look after yourself ( why do I waste my breath?)

Sass

Hi Sass. 

I am finding my short temperedness troubling. Thurs and again yesterday, I have been irritated by people at work to the point of feeling livid. It is difficult to contain my (internal) reaction and i just don't want to feel like it..

I would say the general anxiety/flappiness has improved but it hasn't gone. But the extreme anxious thoughts still pop in my head (albeit less) and those are troubling. I don't want to trigger for anyone with detail but those thoughts tend to be about big stuff - fear of death of my son or hubby. Very vivid thoughts that just pop in. Or they might be anxiety/panic about life decisions (where we live, big expenditure choices etc). These are sensible issues but they not thought about sensibly and purposefully but literally just pop in my head in a panic and I start to fret. This is probably the main symptom that took me onto the meds in the first place as I can't really stand the thoughts and feeling. 

I have been wondering if I might need to increase the reinstatement dose. 

Thanks for reading and considering. 

S

Ps I am very lovely to my northern chap really 😍

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Saff

These anger spell are part of W/D and stabilisation. They are horrible and leave you feeling guilty, but they only tend to last for a couple of weeks at high intensity.

They can continue after that but become less exteme and more manageable.

I know that does not help at work.

Any chance you can get a few days holiday?

If you want to updose, and it can help I would suggest a total dose of 2.5mgs.

It may sound like a tiny increase but is  25% of existing dose.

9 hours ago, Saffron said:

This is probably the main symptom that took me onto the meds in the first place as I can't really stand the thoughts and feeling. 

Have you had any sort of counselling for above or just meds?

If not it needs to be explored.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/SelfHelpCourse.pdf

Above is for self help CBT.

9 hours ago, Saffron said:

Ps I am very lovely to my northern chap really 😍

I am sure you are.

Let know me what you decide.

Sass

Edited by Sassenach
misspelling

• Moderator Emeritus

Has the weekend been any better?

Hi Sass. Sorry for the radio silence. I have been flying solo with the small person this weekend. I am spent. Yesterday and today has again left me getting far too angry. I contain it till it spills out in shouting at my partner and child. It makes me feel terrible and I am sure them too. 

I will increase the small amount you suggest feom tomorrow. 

I have had therapy in the past but not in the last few years, since having a child and life becoming much more consistently overwhelming. Food for thought.

Thanks Sass. S. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Saff

Do you have private health care?

You need coping assistance during these next few months.

I will repeat though the anger is usually only a couple of weeks long.

It feels awful and it is awful for all involved

When you get past it you will then know that your nervous system is responding and is repairing all beit slowly.

Make sure you get some quiet time at work today take a break everyone is entitled and get some time on your own even if is only 10 minutes.

SAS S

Edited by Sassenach

Hi Sass. Bad day yesterday. Woke feeling quite depressed. Flustered, struggling to focus and short tempered all day. I think bring angry is exhausting and depressing me. I am struggling to endure it. It climbed during my drug free weeks and it was the driver to me researching and finding this forum. So I have probably had it 6 weeks by now crossing both drug free and reinstatement time. 

I do have healthcare. Will look into that. Reintroduced meditating this morning. My lovely man suggested it. Trying to slooooowwwwww. 

I suspect the answer is that we can't really be sure, but how can we know if this is withdrawal or just how I am when I am off the meds? These are incredibly extreme versions of anything I have ever suffered that has ever caused me to seek therapy or meds, so not my previous norm. But I have never been med free in my current life set up before. It is far more full of love than ever before but I am also responsible financially for 3 of us instead of it previously just being me and there aren't enough hours in the day or energy in my bod to handle life with any sort of ease. 

Have a good day Sass. I really appreciate you keeping an eye on me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Saff

10 hours ago, Saffron said:

I do have healthcare. Will look into that

I am sure I do not need to tell you this but will anyway, be sure to check the provider's confidentiality protocols.

Sorry the old boss in me coming out. That and a natural scepticism👿

Reintroduced meditating this morning. My lovely man suggested it. Trying to slooooowwwwww.

This is great, will feel hard now but well worth it.

Also try Eckart Yoga on youtube.

there aren't enough hours in the day or energy in my bod to handle life with any sort of ease.

Which is why I asked if you could get a few days off work just to give a bit of healing time.

6 weeks by now crossing both drug free and reinstatement time.

This means it was brought on by the original W/D and the reinstatement has not yet minimised it.

Have you updosed to 2.5mgs?

Sass

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/24/2019 at 8:09 AM, Saffron said:

but how can we know if this is withdrawal or just how I am when I am off the meds

Because this is the real you.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, Saffron said:

A good day today. Little bit forgetful and had a little anxiety but also did some good work, enjoyed my family and laughed a lot. 

Hope you feeling a bit better.

Sass

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/24/2019 at 12:09 AM, Saffron said:

how can we know if this is withdrawal or just how I am when I am off the meds? 

I guarantee, with the history you described, that what you are experiencing now is withdrawal.  Not a smidgen of doubt about that.

As far as how it will be once you are fully recovered from withdrawal and off the meds, I can't say, you will get to enjoy the journey of meeting yourself and getting to know yourself. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised to remember who you are. And you will probably find that you have a depth and flexibility, mentally and psychologically, that you had long forgotten you could have.

But that's a little way down the road. Let's get you through this period of withdrawal and stabilizing first, and then a very slow, safe taper down once you are ready.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.