cakesgimmecakes

cakesgimmecakes Fully Recovered - Prozac

cakesgimmecakes

Alto and everyone who was there for me in the beginning, thank you.

A lifetime of lessons learned. I ID as someone who has fully recovered. I no longer believe my brain is damaged. I still have depressive episodes, but I think differently about them. I am not the same person I was before Prozac. It makes me sad, yes. Part of my recovery is letting go that the past could be different. I still contend that taking this poison was my life's biggest regret, but I don't live in that space. Acceptance has helped me push to a new level of life.

I am 4 years out as on 11/1.

Things that helped:

Gut biome (this is EVERYTHING - see new study that just came out about antiDs and gut bacteria............)

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

Sugar-free (being on a glycemic roller coaster is your ticket to hell)

Exercise (natural anxiety killer)

Fish oil (not for first year)

Magnesium (as much as you can stand)

Socializing/laughing (this is distraction/escape from your misery)

CBT (I learned not to indulge anxiety-filled thoughts)

B vitamins (not for first two years; caused anxiety and jitters and too much energy)

Sleep (I didn't sleep first two years due to sky-high cortisol)

ADMIN NOTE: Cakes's Intro topic is here

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

Cocopuffz17

Woohoo! This is awesome! You mentioned microbiome, I agree 100%. Do you happen to have the link to the study with ADs and gut health? Thank you! So pumped for you!!! 

bhasski
2 hours ago, cakesgimmecakes said:

Alto and everyone who was there for me in the beginning, thank you.

A lifetime of lessons learned. I ID as someone who has fully recovered. I no longer believe my brain is damaged. I still have depressive episodes, but I think differently about them. I am not the same person I was before Prozac. It makes me sad, yes. Part of my recovery is letting go that the past could be different. I still contend that taking this poison was my life's biggest regret, but I don't live in that space. Acceptance has helped me push to a new level of life.

I am 4 years out as on 11/1.

Things that helped:

Gut biome (this is EVERYTHING - see new study that just came out about antiDs and gut bacteria............)

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

B vitamins (not for first two years; caused anxiety and jitters and too much energy)

Great .. Very happy for you and hopeful for all of us.

Keep going and be cheerful.

Best wishes.

Heal95

Hello cakegimmecakes. 

Thank you for sharing your story and giving hope to many of us here. I’m so happy for you that you have recovered. I hope you are enjoying life and it’s all joys. 

When did you realise that you had recovered? Did you wake up one day and realise that the symptoms had eventually gone? 

Is your sleep back to normal/ much better? Are you able to manage overstimulation like exercise and stress? 

Again thank you so much for sharing your story and providing much needed hope for everyone here. Stories like this give me so much hope in healing and keep me slowly moving forward. 

God bless you ❤️

Alua

Congrats. Amazing. I noticed in your signature estrogen and progesterone imbalance noted. Did you ever take hrt? I am tapering off it and its much like coming off a benzo.or ssri x

koivukovy

Congrats on your recovery! Did you have pssd or anhedonia? 

Nelly

It is great to read this, this morning. Wishing you a happy life. Thank you for sharing xx

cakesgimmecakes

Hello - I don't know how to reply to individual comments? I hope everyone can see this who asked me questions.

Thank you for the well wishes and kind remarks. I want to emphasize life is not perfect. But life is 10000000 times better now, after WD, and so much better OFF SSRIs.

The article on gut health and SSRIs that recently came out: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326299.php

When did you realise that you had recovered?

I think three years out. I realized I did not have the same anxieties I once did during WD, and I also felt more like "me" again. Prozac completely changed my personality and thoughts, and I hated hated hated it. I was this fake happy and detached from life. It was terrible.

Did you wake up one day and realise that the symptoms had eventually gone?

Yes. I realized I wasn't paranoid anymore. I wasn't overstimulated for absolutely no reason. I could sleep. I could FEEL again. I wasn't melancholy in an unproductive way. That's the hardest to explain. Melancholy is useful in ways because it helps to process the world within us and outside us. Melancholy is NORMAL. With these SSRIs that is blunted, so I always felt I was looking at the world through fishtank glass. I couldn't fully access my feelings. I was a fake in the world. It was really hard to deal with. So now that I'm off the drugs, I feel my brain is back to feeling melancholy, and it's useful in a way where I can write, sing, cry, scream, evaluate. I hope this makes sense.

Is your sleep back to normal/ much better?

Yes. I sleep now. The quality is questionable because I'm still dealing with some gut things, nutritional things, and I'm going through extreme stress right now (divorce and joblessness). But I do sleep 6-7 hours a night. I wake unrefreshed, but I don't attribute that to Prozac WD. I'm a work in progress. The work doesn't have anything to do with Prozac. That's my belief.

Are you able to manage overstimulation like exercise and stress?

Yes. Exercise is fine and helped me recover. Stress right now is a very big issue. But I'm managing. I believe it has nothing to do with Prozac WD. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) helped me deal with rumination and negative thinking. Anytime I start to get anxious thoughts, which are NORMAL (society likes to tell us they're not so drink, smoke, shop, pop pills to shunt it), I have learned to not indulge them. It's sort of a Buddhism approach in that you talk to yourself and explain everything's OK. I DO recall a time during WD when this seemed impossible -- that my body would never relax. But it did. It takes time, time, time.

Did you have pssd or anhedonia? 

Yes and yes. Sexual function fine now. I recommend testosterone. But obviously not too much. I had anhedonia BAD. And derealization BAD. Those two are the most bizarre to explain to people. You feel totally detached from yourself. I did out-of-character things when I had this. And the ability to not feel joy anymore was devastating, and it disturbed me frequently. Magnesium and exercise helps with that. 

I noticed in your signature estrogen and progesterone imbalance noted. Did you ever take hrt? 

I did try progesterone cream numerous times, and each time time it's been a disaster. Crazy moods, puffiness, water retention, insomnia. I steer clear. I'm trying b6 and magnesium, plus vitamin c and lowering my stress levels to see if that helps. When our progesterone is low, it's usually because of stress and age. The pathway is to favor cortisol over progesterone (they're made in the same center adrenally - aside from our ovaries). For estrogen, I'm eating flax and it's boosting it.

I pray for everyone here and around the world. This is an epidemic. Truly. I see it all around me, and consider myself lucky I escaped. It took time. It was important for me to evaluate, deeply, health and who I want to be. Life is not perfect. It is not always happy. I trusted doctors. I do NOT anymore. They're there to make money. The American health care system is set up for profit. Doctors do NOT care about nutrition, which is utterly insane. Truthfully, I recovered on my own, and with the help of this site and a few others. Health is about living simply -- this is my conclusion. Exercise, eating whole foods, positive mental attitude, and fulfilling work. You can add spirituality in there if you wish, but truly I think it's about communing with nature. There is no human who doesn't encounter trouble and stress and sadness. I was put on Prozac to deal with PMS. It's criminal. All I needed to do was change my diet and exercise. Instead I was handed an EXTREMELY potent brain drug that did so, so much damage. There are no shortcuts. Anyway. Enough soapboxing. I try to keep my mouth shut about SSRIs and psych and sleep drugs because everyone has their journey, and in truth, I have compassion for the reaching for something to make myself feel better, I really, really do. There's an allure to popping a pill and zoning out. I get it. But I was burned.

God bless.

mirage

Hi @cakesgimmecakes. Congratulations! It is very exciting to read a success. 

My story is similar to yours. I was put on Wellbutrin to help with PMS symptoms. I had bad cramping and moodiness and water retention. All things I could have dealt with and, as you mentioned, altered my diet to help. My dr recommended the med and treated it like I would be taking a simple and easy pill. I never looked into the med. I just took the script and filled it. Fast forward, 8 years to May of 2017, I had blood work done showing I was at the end of menopause and since I was no longer having PMS, I just stopped taking the med. So, in June of 2017, my journey began. I am 27 months and plugging along. I know I will get through this and I do believe we will all recover. I believe it is giving our bodies the time it needs to do the healing. 

God bless you for telling your story. 

Mirage

Altostrata
On 9/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, cakesgimmecakes said:

Things that helped:

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

Great advice, cakes! Good to hear you've done so well. Thanks for returning and letting us know.

Request: Please update your signature with the date you went off Prozac at last and how long you had post-acute withdrawal syndrome after that.

Sara5

This is so encouraging, I'm printing it to remind me during the hard times!

eboyd

Did you use a testosterone HRT?  I am currently using one and it has made a big difference with my mood and PMS.  I was tested using saliva samples over the course of a month and it showed I had barely any.  My last blood test showed I was high now so I am reducing my dose and am considering going off completely.  Are you still on a HRT?  If not how did you feel after coming off?

DaisyBell

Wonderful story!

what Biome test did you use and what probiotics?

I believe so much in the gut brain axis being pivotal in well being 

healingspiral

we have really similar stories in terms of what helped us recover (diet/sleep/self care)

I'm so happy to read your story, thank you for sharing and congratulations !

Wesofthewest

So good to hear that you’re feeling healed. I’ve been dealing with Prozac WD as well. I was wondering, what did you do to help your gut microbiome, did you just take probiotics? After reading about that I really have the desire to do something. 

Cocopuffz17
11 hours ago, Wesofthewest said:

So good to hear that you’re feeling healed. I’ve been dealing with Prozac WD as well. I was wondering, what did you do to help your gut microbiome, did you just take probiotics? After reading about that I really have the desire to do something. 

Nutrition, check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. 

Wesofthewest
11 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Nutrition, check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. 

I gave that a look. Seems interesting, avoiding lectins sounds like it would be hard. I’ve bought a probiotic I’m going to take at least since I heard AD’s are bad for your gut. Thanks for the tip!

Cocopuffz17
9 hours ago, Wesofthewest said:

I gave that a look. Seems interesting, avoiding lectins sounds like it would be hard. I’ve bought a probiotic I’m going to take at least since I heard AD’s are bad for your gut. Thanks for the tip!

No problem. It’s easier than you think. It has completely changed my gut health and gave me my life back! Yes, ADs wreak havoc on your GI tract. I got so used to “normal” on them that I didn’t notice. But looking back now I know they caused a vast majority of my health issues.