ADMIN NOTE Here is cake's Introductions topic:

Cakesgimmecakes here. I was asked to give an update.

I am fully recovered from Prozac withdrawal at this point. It's been 3 years and 2.5 months EXACTLY today. 

The issues SSRIs left me with are things I'm still contending with, which are hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue, digestive issues.  I no longer blame any symptom I have on Prozac withdrawal. Prozac is a distant memory now, and I'm so grateful I have ME back. 

Things that helped me:

Magnesium

Vit D

Sun in the morning on retinas

Digestive enzymes

No sugar - you must be strict with this; it matters because the inflammation and blood sugar swings sugar causes stress out an already stressed-out central nervous system

Spirituality 

Mediation - rewire your brain to relax, it works

Avoidance of any pharmaceuticals 

Walking/running/exercise

Socializing

CBT/therapy - this is huge

Sleep when I could get it

Supplement tolerance was low for a long time. I could not take fish oil or many, many vitamins. I was unable to sleep for years. NAC helps me sleep now, and controlling blood sugar.

I have learned so much from my experience, and I am still angry about what happened to my life because of Big Pharma. I do not go to Western/allopathic/conventional doctors; I only seek natural remedies and holistic/naturopathic/functional doctors. Depression is truly about dysfunction elsewhere in the body. Low T3 in the thyroid, cortisol issues (read: stress), nutritional deficiences, poor communication with others/not feeling fulfilled by goals/lack of goals that truly fill the soul, no exercise, SIBO/candida/digestive woes, wonky reproductive hormones, poor sleep, toxic humans you're around, bad job. Truth: Life will never be the same after you expose your brain to these toxic chemicals. In time, I do believe society will catch on to the dangers. Pills are a quick fix for temporary issues, which excellent nutrition, sun, exercise, and therapy can take care of in most cases. We trusted our doctors and got burned. I do believe in science and that the body is designed to heal itself and the brain has incredible neuroplasticity capabilities. This is why exercise and nutrition are so important. They do make a difference. I encourage everyone to read up on the actual science behind meditation. It's not quackery. It helped because it does change the brain for the better. People recover. I'm living proof. YET, life is not perfect. I struggle with fatigue and bad moods, but my life currently is pretty stressful, and I am dealing with thyroid and adrenal issues. This is life.

To this day I still pray for those suffering from psych issues and psych drug withdrawal most evening. You are not alone. Keep the faith. I believe a power greater than me is more powerful than any drug, and there can be miracles.

HUGS XOXO

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

September 2001 - 10 mg Sarafem (fluoxetine) for mild case of PMS that could have been helped by exercise and diet modification! I was NOT depressed prior to taking this drug. July 2002 - CT, no issues except stomach distention (honestly, I think daily running helped, but I didn't know a thing about WD or that it even existed)

August 2003 - reinstated to resolve severe stomach bloating (a WD symptom from year before; didn't realize it was a WD symptom)

2003-2009 - on and off 10-20 mg, CT at several points with no issues! Literally no issues except stomach distention.

March 2009 - CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

March 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

November 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, insomnia began one month later.

January 2011-January 2015 - went on 10 mg fluoxetine every six months for one month, always CTing.

March 2015-November 2015 - Finally learned to taper! 

September 2019 - fully recovered from WD; gut issues remain

"The only way out is through." 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Prozac WD Update - 3 Years Out - cakesgimmecakes
  • Altostrata changed the title to cakesgimmecakes Prozac WD Update - 3 Years Out
  • Administrator

cakes, you have done a remarkable job of taking care of yourself. Those health problems are difficult, but it looks like you've got them in hand.

Congratulations on your recovery from withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Wonderful.  You gave me so much inspiration and our stories seem similar. Im almost 11 months off zoloft and almost 8 months off zyprexa i was on the zoloft for 1 year. And tapered too quick tried reinstating made me worse ended up in the pysch ward and put on zyprexa for 10days and slowly tapered. Its been a long very scary year. Im big into nutrition too. I was wondering what kind of diet/lifestyle do you reccomend i eat extremely well. Also just finished tapering the naturthroid the dr put me on 8 months ago and felt was making me worse :/. Obviously have adrenal issues. I still struggle with windows and waves but much improvement. Insaw you said you had suicidal ideations which was horrible those just let up. But the severe depression hopelessness has been horrible but thay has been better better but it comes and goes. Did you have this too? Any insight or advice much appreciated thank you. Glad your doing so well!@

13 months on 25 mg of sertraline.

Fast taper in march 2018, reinstated 12.5mg

Cold turkey sertraline april 17,2018

Zyprexa 5mg april 17,2018

Zyprexa taper to lamictal May 4-13 (life threatening rash)

Back on zyprexa 5mg for 10days & tapered over 5 weeks.

21 months off sertraline 

19 months off zyprexa

22 months into withdrawl 

Congratulations! ☺️ And thank you for your update, it really means a lot. Amazing that you got yourself back!  💕

2010 - 2015: 50mg Sertraline, 30mg Mirtazapine.

2015 - 2016: Last dose Mirtazapine 28.11.2015 and Sertraline 04.01.2016. (6 months taper)

2016/June: 6 months off. Feeling better but a lot of symptoms, name one and i have it.

2016/Dec: 12 months off. Hit a very bad wave, can't function at this moment, isolate and many intense symptoms. Very intense heart palpitations and very intense anxiety.

2017/June: 18 months off. Things are better, experiencing a lot of flashbacks, walking everyday.

2017/Nov: Things have finally started to improve and i'm now much better than a year ago, starting to feel a lot of improvements, but still symptoms that come in waves and windows.  

2018/June: Feeling better. Starting to do some normal things again, but still some improvements needed. All symptoms still there, just less intense.

2018/Oct: Almost 3 years off. Symptoms are milder and more manageable, but lots of anger issues at the moment. Still some depersonalization etc. Heart palpitations almost gone. There's hope.

2021/april: 5 years and 3 months off. Symptoms less intense, but still struggling, still not able to socialize much, very tired, i just want to feel normal again. In a tough and awful wave.

Cakes,

I found your post while trying to learn more about NAC for insomnia, my main problem.  I'm glad for your recovery and thank you for stating how you achieved it.  Some of the things I'm already doing but I believe that I need to incorporate more of your behaviors.  Even most of your insight into what you have learned or believe is extremely similar to my thinking.

Thank you for your post.

-2005 -2016 60mg Cymbalta

11/2016 abrupt drop to 30mg. Insomnia started (about 2x a week.)

6/29/2017 started aggressive taper. Dosage:6/29 25mg,7/7 20mg,7/10 15mg,7/1713mg,7/18 10 mg,7/22 8mg,7/31 7.5mg,8/1 6.25mg. At 6.25mg insomnia every night (waking 2-4am.) 

8/2017 began up dosing 8/9 7.5mg,8/16 10mg.

Late 2017 new taper from 25mg. Approx 10% reduction per mos (mini-tablets.) 10mg sleep would not stabilize. Cont'd taper meds running out.

Jan 2019 stopped taper at 2.5mg. Using only supplements. Morning 500mg tyrosine, 100mg L-theanine, 600mg NAC. After breakfast 1000mg fish oil, 5mg iron, 2000IU D3, B complex, 500mg ginseng, 50mg ginkgo, probiotics & 50mg zinc. Bedtime 1000mg tryptophan, 500mg gaba, 3mg time released melatonin, 325mg magnesium powder, & 100mg progesterone.

Feb 2019 brain zaps gone. Still have chronic insomnia & anxiety at times.

March 2019-Purchased Alpha Stim

May 2019-sleep still inconsistent.

October 2019- (Morning) L-Tyrosine, Super B complex, 5mg ferritin,fish oil, vit c, (Evening)200mg progesterone, 1mg Natrol Time Release Melatonin, 325mg Calm magnesium, glycine powder. Alpha Stim only seems to help with anxiety not insomnia. Usually wake up nightly average of 2 hours. *Using 25mg Benadryl or 12.5mg Doxylamine Succinate occasionally

• 7 months later...

Alto and everyone who was there for me in the beginning, thank you.

A lifetime of lessons learned. I ID as someone who has fully recovered. I no longer believe my brain is damaged. I still have depressive episodes, but I think differently about them. I am not the same person I was before Prozac. It makes me sad, yes. Part of my recovery is letting go that the past could be different. I still contend that taking this poison was my life's biggest regret, but I don't live in that space. Acceptance has helped me push to a new level of life.

I am 4 years out as on 11/1.

Things that helped:

Gut biome (this is EVERYTHING - see new study that just came out about antiDs and gut bacteria............)

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

Sugar-free (being on a glycemic roller coaster is your ticket to hell)

Exercise (natural anxiety killer)

Fish oil (not for first year)

Magnesium (as much as you can stand)

Socializing/laughing (this is distraction/escape from your misery)

CBT (I learned not to indulge anxiety-filled thoughts)

B vitamins (not for first two years; caused anxiety and jitters and too much energy)

Sleep (I didn't sleep first two years due to sky-high cortisol)

ADMIN NOTE: Cakes's Intro topic is here

Edited by Altostrata
Added admin note

September 2001 - 10 mg Sarafem (fluoxetine) for mild case of PMS that could have been helped by exercise and diet modification! I was NOT depressed prior to taking this drug. July 2002 - CT, no issues except stomach distention (honestly, I think daily running helped, but I didn't know a thing about WD or that it even existed)

August 2003 - reinstated to resolve severe stomach bloating (a WD symptom from year before; didn't realize it was a WD symptom)

2003-2009 - on and off 10-20 mg, CT at several points with no issues! Literally no issues except stomach distention.

March 2009 - CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

March 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, no issues except estrogen/progesterone imbalances and stomach distention 

November 2010 - reinstated 10 mg for one month, CT, insomnia began one month later.

January 2011-January 2015 - went on 10 mg fluoxetine every six months for one month, always CTing.

• Mentor

Woohoo! This is awesome! You mentioned microbiome, I agree 100%. Do you happen to have the link to the study with ADs and gut health? Thank you! So pumped for you!!! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

2 hours ago, cakesgimmecakes said:

Alto and everyone who was there for me in the beginning, thank you.

A lifetime of lessons learned. I ID as someone who has fully recovered. I no longer believe my brain is damaged. I still have depressive episodes, but I think differently about them. I am not the same person I was before Prozac. It makes me sad, yes. Part of my recovery is letting go that the past could be different. I still contend that taking this poison was my life's biggest regret, but I don't live in that space. Acceptance has helped me push to a new level of life.

I am 4 years out as on 11/1.

Things that helped:

Gut biome (this is EVERYTHING - see new study that just came out about antiDs and gut bacteria............)

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

B vitamins (not for first two years; caused anxiety and jitters and too much energy)

Great .. Very happy for you and hopeful for all of us.

Keep going and be cheerful.

Best wishes.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

Hello cakegimmecakes. 

Thank you for sharing your story and giving hope to many of us here. I’m so happy for you that you have recovered. I hope you are enjoying life and it’s all joys. 

When did you realise that you had recovered? Did you wake up one day and realise that the symptoms had eventually gone? 

Is your sleep back to normal/ much better? Are you able to manage overstimulation like exercise and stress? 

Again thank you so much for sharing your story and providing much needed hope for everyone here. Stories like this give me so much hope in healing and keep me slowly moving forward. 

God bless you ❤️

Put on sertraline in January 2016 50 mg. 100mg Feb 16-May18 

may 18 50 mg some withdrawals 

august 18 rapid taper off. September 22 put on 50 mg due to withdrawals 

2 weeks later up to 100mg. Bad reaction 

on 100 for 4 weeks. Then 50 for two weeks 25 for two weeks and 25 every other day for a week 

off since 8 December having waves and windows 

Congrats. Amazing. I noticed in your signature estrogen and progesterone imbalance noted. Did you ever take hrt? I am tapering off it and its much like coming off a benzo.or ssri x

<p>Various benzos 4 months for insomnia prior to Effexor 37.5mg may 2014 for two weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg june 2014 - feb 2015.Pristiq 50 mg Feb 2015. six weeks later attempted coming off with a six week taper. ten days off and it got ugly. Tapering now using compounded pristiq with slow release agent. 37.5 mg 3 weeks, 30 mg 6 weeks, 25mg 4.5 weeks, 20mg for 6 weeks, 17.5 mgs 7 weeks, 20 mg 8 weeks, 19 mg 3 weeks, 18 mg 3 weeks, 17 mg 3 weeks, 16 mg 3 weeks, 15mg 2 weeks, 14mg 2 weeks, 13 mgs 2 weeks, 12 mgs 6 weeks, 11mg 3 weeks, 10.5mg 2 weeks, 10 mg 3.5 weeks. 9mg 4 weeks. Jumped at 8mg currently 16 months free

Congrats on your recovery! Did you have pssd or anhedonia? 

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

It is great to read this, this morning. Wishing you a happy life. Thank you for sharing xx

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

Hello - I don't know how to reply to individual comments? I hope everyone can see this who asked me questions.

Thank you for the well wishes and kind remarks. I want to emphasize life is not perfect. But life is 10000000 times better now, after WD, and so much better OFF SSRIs.

The article on gut health and SSRIs that recently came out: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326299.php

When did you realise that you had recovered?

I think three years out. I realized I did not have the same anxieties I once did during WD, and I also felt more like "me" again. Prozac completely changed my personality and thoughts, and I hated hated hated it. I was this fake happy and detached from life. It was terrible.

Did you wake up one day and realise that the symptoms had eventually gone?

Yes. I realized I wasn't paranoid anymore. I wasn't overstimulated for absolutely no reason. I could sleep. I could FEEL again. I wasn't melancholy in an unproductive way. That's the hardest to explain. Melancholy is useful in ways because it helps to process the world within us and outside us. Melancholy is NORMAL. With these SSRIs that is blunted, so I always felt I was looking at the world through fishtank glass. I couldn't fully access my feelings. I was a fake in the world. It was really hard to deal with. So now that I'm off the drugs, I feel my brain is back to feeling melancholy, and it's useful in a way where I can write, sing, cry, scream, evaluate. I hope this makes sense.

Is your sleep back to normal/ much better?

Yes. I sleep now. The quality is questionable because I'm still dealing with some gut things, nutritional things, and I'm going through extreme stress right now (divorce and joblessness). But I do sleep 6-7 hours a night. I wake unrefreshed, but I don't attribute that to Prozac WD. I'm a work in progress. The work doesn't have anything to do with Prozac. That's my belief.

Are you able to manage overstimulation like exercise and stress?

Yes. Exercise is fine and helped me recover. Stress right now is a very big issue. But I'm managing. I believe it has nothing to do with Prozac WD. CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) helped me deal with rumination and negative thinking. Anytime I start to get anxious thoughts, which are NORMAL (society likes to tell us they're not so drink, smoke, shop, pop pills to shunt it), I have learned to not indulge them. It's sort of a Buddhism approach in that you talk to yourself and explain everything's OK. I DO recall a time during WD when this seemed impossible -- that my body would never relax. But it did. It takes time, time, time.

Did you have pssd or anhedonia? 

Yes and yes. Sexual function fine now. I recommend testosterone. But obviously not too much. I had anhedonia BAD. And derealization BAD. Those two are the most bizarre to explain to people. You feel totally detached from yourself. I did out-of-character things when I had this. And the ability to not feel joy anymore was devastating, and it disturbed me frequently. Magnesium and exercise helps with that. 

I noticed in your signature estrogen and progesterone imbalance noted. Did you ever take hrt? 

I did try progesterone cream numerous times, and each time time it's been a disaster. Crazy moods, puffiness, water retention, insomnia. I steer clear. I'm trying b6 and magnesium, plus vitamin c and lowering my stress levels to see if that helps. When our progesterone is low, it's usually because of stress and age. The pathway is to favor cortisol over progesterone (they're made in the same center adrenally - aside from our ovaries). For estrogen, I'm eating flax and it's boosting it.

I pray for everyone here and around the world. This is an epidemic. Truly. I see it all around me, and consider myself lucky I escaped. It took time. It was important for me to evaluate, deeply, health and who I want to be. Life is not perfect. It is not always happy. I trusted doctors. I do NOT anymore. They're there to make money. The American health care system is set up for profit. Doctors do NOT care about nutrition, which is utterly insane. Truthfully, I recovered on my own, and with the help of this site and a few others. Health is about living simply -- this is my conclusion. Exercise, eating whole foods, positive mental attitude, and fulfilling work. You can add spirituality in there if you wish, but truly I think it's about communing with nature. There is no human who doesn't encounter trouble and stress and sadness. I was put on Prozac to deal with PMS. It's criminal. All I needed to do was change my diet and exercise. Instead I was handed an EXTREMELY potent brain drug that did so, so much damage. There are no shortcuts. Anyway. Enough soapboxing. I try to keep my mouth shut about SSRIs and psych and sleep drugs because everyone has their journey, and in truth, I have compassion for the reaching for something to make myself feel better, I really, really do. There's an allure to popping a pill and zoning out. I get it. But I was burned.

God bless.

Hi @cakesgimmecakes. Congratulations! It is very exciting to read a success. 

My story is similar to yours. I was put on Wellbutrin to help with PMS symptoms. I had bad cramping and moodiness and water retention. All things I could have dealt with and, as you mentioned, altered my diet to help. My dr recommended the med and treated it like I would be taking a simple and easy pill. I never looked into the med. I just took the script and filled it. Fast forward, 8 years to May of 2017, I had blood work done showing I was at the end of menopause and since I was no longer having PMS, I just stopped taking the med. So, in June of 2017, my journey began. I am 27 months and plugging along. I know I will get through this and I do believe we will all recover. I believe it is giving our bodies the time it needs to do the healing. 

God bless you for telling your story. 

Mirage

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

• Altostrata changed the title to cakesgimmecakes Fully Recovered - Prozac
  • Administrator
On 9/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, cakesgimmecakes said:

Things that helped:

Gluten-free

Low-histamine foods

Great advice, cakes! Good to hear you've done so well. Thanks for returning and letting us know.

Request: Please update your signature with the date you went off Prozac at last and how long you had post-acute withdrawal syndrome after that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

This is so encouraging, I'm printing it to remind me during the hard times!

Zoloft 2000-2012

No meds 2012-2014 while I was addicted to Methamphetamine.

Cymbalta/duloxotine 2014-2019, curently tapered from 60mg to 30mg.

Gabapentin 2014-2019, tapered to zero at the beginning of 2019.

Hydroxyzine 2014-2019, currently take one only when super itchy about 1x per week.

Did you use a testosterone HRT?  I am currently using one and it has made a big difference with my mood and PMS.  I was tested using saliva samples over the course of a month and it showed I had barely any.  My last blood test showed I was high now so I am reducing my dose and am considering going off completely.  Are you still on a HRT?  If not how did you feel after coming off?

2002-2008 On and off Effexor XR 75mg 

2010 Effexor XR 75mg Trazadone 150mg

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Trazadone taper over 1 month

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

Wonderful story!

what Biome test did you use and what probiotics?

I believe so much in the gut brain axis being pivotal in well being 

In Jan 2011 started Lexapro 10 mg after 10 minutes consultation with doctor telling him I felt anxious in confined spaces and had an anxiety attack on plane and underground. Remained on that dosage until Sept 2014. Tapered following a doctor's schedule on 2.5 mg drops every three weeks. Once stopped I developed severe withdrawals. Three weeks of Prozac beginning of Oct 2014 but had adverse reaction and stopped CT. Protracted withdrawals since. Supp now - magnesium, fish oil, turmeric, vit D, melatonin (but recently it's made me depressed), castus vitex capsule with ginger, Withania, Vit E, zinc, Lutein for PMS.

we have really similar stories in terms of what helped us recover (diet/sleep/self care)

I'm so happy to read your story, thank you for sharing and congratulations !

fully off meds for five years. was on lamictal for 8 years, topomax for almost 2 @ same time as lamictal, before that was on a cocktail including fluvoxamine, prozac, wellbutrin, zoloft, and more starting from age 12 to age 22

"You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves. Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine...Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting - over and over announcing your place in the family of things." - Mary Oliver 

• 2 weeks later...

So good to hear that you’re feeling healed. I’ve been dealing with Prozac WD as well. I was wondering, what did you do to help your gut microbiome, did you just take probiotics? After reading about that I really have the desire to do something. 

2017 prozac 60mg

end of 2018 prozac fast taper

prozac stopped completely march 2018

-restarted Prozac 40mg July 2020

-prozac 60mg august-sep 2020

-stopped prozac oct 2020

-citalopram 40mg oct 2020

supplements:

-b12 1000mcg

-vitamin d 1000 iu

-fish oil 1 capsule

• Mentor
11 hours ago, Wesofthewest said:

So good to hear that you’re feeling healed. I’ve been dealing with Prozac WD as well. I was wondering, what did you do to help your gut microbiome, did you just take probiotics? After reading about that I really have the desire to do something. 

Nutrition, check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

11 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Nutrition, check out The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. 

I gave that a look. Seems interesting, avoiding lectins sounds like it would be hard. I’ve bought a probiotic I’m going to take at least since I heard AD’s are bad for your gut. Thanks for the tip!

2017 prozac 60mg

end of 2018 prozac fast taper

prozac stopped completely march 2018

-restarted Prozac 40mg July 2020

-prozac 60mg august-sep 2020

-stopped prozac oct 2020

-citalopram 40mg oct 2020

supplements:

-b12 1000mcg

-vitamin d 1000 iu

-fish oil 1 capsule

• Mentor
9 hours ago, Wesofthewest said:

I gave that a look. Seems interesting, avoiding lectins sounds like it would be hard. I’ve bought a probiotic I’m going to take at least since I heard AD’s are bad for your gut. Thanks for the tip!

No problem. It’s easier than you think. It has completely changed my gut health and gave me my life back! Yes, ADs wreak havoc on your GI tract. I got so used to “normal” on them that I didn’t notice. But looking back now I know they caused a vast majority of my health issues. 

• 6 months later...

Hello Brother,

May I know for how long did you take Prozac?I took it for 2 months and still experiencing withdrawal 10 months later.Very happy to hear that you recovered.What advice would you give me to stay strong?And how long do you think the anxiety will last?

• 5 months later...

Hello,

First, know you’re not alone. Or crazy. Know you can heal and be normal again.
I’m a month shy of 5 years out. Thank God. I’m 100% back to myself prior to Prozac. Zero WD felt anymore. Took probably about 2.5 years to shake off all WD. Honestly I rarely think of that time in my life anymore.
Prozac left me with digestive issues that led to hypothyroidism and adrenal issues, then the cascade to sex hormones. This is all an ongoing battle.

What helped: 
God/prayer
Time
Sleep
Meditation and mindfulness 
Magnesium 
Fish oil
B vitamins 
Vit D
Iron with vit c
Exercise 
Bifidobacterium probiotics 
Checking thyroid for low free T3
Therapy/CBT
Music 
Animals
Eating absolutely no sugar, none, zeroooooo 
Eating so healthy it’s regimented 
Water 
Abstinence from pharma 
Staying far away from doctors unless naturopathic or functional 

• Altostrata changed the title to cakesgimmecakes 5 Year Update
  • Administrator

Thanks for the updates, cakes.

How did you determine your hypothyroidism was related to withdrawal?

Hi, Alto!

After years of studying gastrointestinal information and serotonin’s role in digestion, I surmise my gut was compromised by SSRIs, and the malabsorption from SIBO (serotonin related to motility, motility related to SIBO) led to nutrient deficiencies that brought about hypothyroidism. Complicated by adrenal issues, which I acquired through more than a dozen attempts to quit Prozac and the years and years of insomnia as a result. The confluence of stress and an injured gut (and quite possibly Prozac’s fluoride component) led to hypothyroidism. It’s all interconnected, and when a GP prescribes an SSRI with wanton disrespect for the body’s complexities surrounding serotonin, the patient has no idea what kind of whack-a-mole situation he or she is stepping into.....I was the picture of health prior to Prozac, aside from PMS. My thyroid was fine. I don’t smoke, drink or eat poorly. Not Hashimoto’s. There is no other explanation I can see.

• Administrator

There's a domino effect of these drugs throughout your system, that's for sure. How did you heal your gut?

My gut is ongoing. But I eat no dairy, sugar, soy or gluten. I took glutamine, which in WD years ago gave me intense anxiety, but this time it was OK. Probiotics, bone broth. It’s always work. Stress is a H U G E factor in gut health, and I stressed my body exponentially when I put myself through years and years of WD and resultant insomnia. So I work on stress. 

Magnesium is quite helpful. 

• Mentor

Hi cakesgimmecakes. I’m 23 months out from a fast taper and have had a tough time in months 12 onwards with symptoms. My symptoms have changed over time. First was bad nausea and fatigue, then came emotional stability issues, then came gastric issues, then sweating and shaking/spasms. I’m currently in a Bell’s palsy and diet sensitivity phase but I’m also working for the first time in a year, so feel there is improvement. My only constant has been Insomnia 😞 Like you I had none of these symptoms before WD so know they’re from Zoloft. 

Do you recall any changes in symptoms during your WD journey? I’m aware that perhaps all our journeys are unique, but thought I’d ask. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 3 months later...

Hi Cakes, your story gives me so much hope, thanks so much for sharing. I wanted to ask, how are you managing your hypothyroidism? I never had thyroid issues before and now I’m hypo. I don’t know if this would resolve after withdrawal so I want to treat it. Thanks a lot. xx

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• 8 months later...

@cakesgimmecakes which B vitamins did you take for energy ? Because there are lots of B vitmains like B6, B12 ...

I am very fortunate to find  you. Prozac also affected my gut, I suffered high fatigue after stopping it  and vivid dreams and semen leakage .

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 2 months later...

@cakesgimmecakes In this world if there is a sufferer who survived 20 years discomfort there cant be any other person other than you.
You were going through withdrawal and doctor didn't tell you further not to take it instead they prescribed you again again . And it led you 15 years to do so.

Same happened to me but thank GOD I only took for 3 years several drugs before realizing that only way is through withdrawal / suffering.

HOw can doctor be irresponsible ? not knowing even about withdrawal and further prescribing drug.

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

@cakesgimmecakes How can you say fully recovered if you have gut issues , hypothyroidism , fatigue , digestion issues ? Aren't these the main issues ?

Did your stomach distention dissapeare ? same is here with me bloating and stomach distention. Just waiting when they subside . I am always bloating and gases in my stomach.

• Mentor
12 hours ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

HOw can doctor be irresponsible ? not knowing even about withdrawal and further prescribing drug.

a)They believe fully in their education and anything that challenges it is a lie since they paid big money for it. 

b) They get paid to prescribe. The more meds you are on the better for their pocket book.

There is too much evidence that shows these drugs are destroying peoples lives. They can’t continue to lie about it. The truth will continue to get out there.