Caspur

UK Public Health England Publishes Report on Prescribed Drug Dependence

Caspur

All,

Public Health England has today published its report on prescribed drug dependence in the UK. The prescribed harm communities in the UK have been waiting a long time for this report. The Recommendations are encouraging. Lets hope they are implemented!

The report and associated information and data can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prescribed-medicines-review-report

Cheers

Caspur

Nelly

At last. Brought tears to my eyes reading this. X

Caspur

More news coverage:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/drugs-nhs-prescribe-patients-addictive-opioids-anti-depressants-painkillers-a9098491.html

bubbles

Just popping this here. I posted a bit before this thread started, otherwise I'd have added them here:

bubbles

This is from the "What this report means for patients https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prescribed-medicines-review-report/prescribed-medicines-review-what-this-report-means-for-patients

"Some prescription medicines can be addictive and could cause problems for people taking them or coming off them, especially if someone has been taking them for a long time. These medicines include benzodiazepines and z-drugs, gabapentin and pregabalin, and opioid pain medicines. Antidepressants are not addictive but some people have problems coming off them." (emphasis mine)

Caspur
4 minutes ago, bubbles said:

This is from the "What this report means for patients https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prescribed-medicines-review-report/prescribed-medicines-review-what-this-report-means-for-patients

"Some prescription medicines can be addictive and could cause problems for people taking them or coming off them, especially if someone has been taking them for a long time. These medicines include benzodiazepines and z-drugs, gabapentin and pregabalin, and opioid pain medicines. Antidepressants are not addictive but some people have problems coming off them."

Hi Bubbles,

Yes, this is a disappointing statement in the context of the report. The 'addictive' word is a difficult one regarding antidepressants and comes down to semantics in the end. However they are dependence forming. I have to take one to function normally because if I don't the withdrawal quickly becomes debilitating. I am dependent on this medication.

Cheers

Ed

bubbles
1 minute ago, Caspur said:

Hi Bubbles,

Yes, this is a disappointing statement in the context of the report. The 'addictive' word is a difficult one regarding antidepressants and comes down to semantics in the end. However they are dependence forming. I have to take one to function normally because if I don't the withdrawal quickly becomes debilitating. I am dependent on this medication.

Cheers

Ed

I agree it's mostly semantics. Can I stop? No? Addiction or dependence or somewhere in the crack in between - it doesn't make any practical difference. I couldn't stop, even when it was obvious that they were doing me damage and that's concerning.

With SSRIs, taking it strictly as directed by my doctor, I became dependent (or addicted, or whatever). I can see no way to use them without becoming dependent given the long run in period needed.