SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

KeepinOn: tapering buproprion / Wellbutrin - seeking advice

KeepinOn

Hello,

I have been taking wellbutrin 300xl for 6+ years. It did help me, but my self-care has improved dramatically over the years and I went through a successful round of ketamine treatment recently and have been wanting to reduce or eliminate the wellbutrin. I have begun to realize that I am feeling a bit emotionally numb and have a feeling the medication may be contributing to this. I am under no illusion that I am suddenly cured, but I am certainly a lot healthier and now have regular exercise and meditation to rely upon so I feel compelled to test the waters of reducing or even eliminating the medication.

My NP provider, who I like and trust, told me the many patients are 100% fine getting off wellbutrin and there is no need for a long taper compared to SSRI's. I did a benzo taper over 9 months and it was tough, so I was wary but a bit of research did reveal that wellbutrin is one of the easier meds to get off. So, I took his advice which was to drop from 300xl to 150xl, and hold there until it feels stable then take it from there.

That was a few days ago, and it's been tougher than I'd hoped. I am only having a few symptoms, thankfully: anxiety, insomnia, and fatigue. Unfortunately, those symptoms are pretty bad.  My mood seems to be stable so far, which is helpful, but of course those symptoms are not helping me to maintain a positive mood!

I am looking for any information or support in taking this step. Already I wish I had taken a more conservative approach and tapered more slowly, but wellbutrin is a bit tricky to get from 300 to 150 because of the sustained released, etc. and I thought I'd try to tough it out to 150/day and take it from there.  If I can get to 150 things get easier because I can start cutting pills, etc.  If this initial, acute difficulty lasted a week or two and then I was OK at 150mg, it would certainly be worthwhile and I wouldn't look back. But, who knows? :)

Anyways, here I am hoping for some supportive words and any tips, thanks!!

Successfully got off of lorazepam after 5 years by switching to liquid valium and tapering over 9 months. Now, my anxiety is 95% gone with no medication. Did ketamine treatment for depression with excellent result, still in remission 6+ months later. Currently working to taper off bupropion after 6 years 300xl/day. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to KeepinOn: tapering buproprion / Wellbutrin - seeking advice
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, keeping.  Sorry for the delay in responding.

The following link contains very helpful information about tapering Wellbutrin.  It should answer many of your questions.

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

We need for you to provide a current drug schedule.  Some of the information we already have, but please provide the following information in one post:

Drug(s) you are currently taking and dosage

Do you feel better or worse after taking the drug?

If you feel worse, what are your symptoms? 

This is your Introduction topic, where you should post your drug schedule and ask questions.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I am only on wellbutrin now, having dropped from 300 to 150. 

To my surprise, on the 3rd day the electric feeling of anxiety became less pronounced, and my mood has improved. It's still early, but it's encouraging. Today, I am actually in a very good mood and feeling ok. It's hard to know what will come,  still early days, but what a relief to be having an easy time at this point.

Substantial amounts of exercise and meditation are helping, no doubt.

If I get to the end of the bottle of 150xl and am doing ok, i'll switch to 100sr + IR tablets and keep tapering. I will make the call when i get within a couple of days of needing a new prescription. But, for now I will just hold and try to concentrate on other things. 

Successfully got off of lorazepam after 5 years by switching to liquid valium and tapering over 9 months. Now, my anxiety is 95% gone with no medication. Did ketamine treatment for depression with excellent result, still in remission 6+ months later. Currently working to taper off bupropion after 6 years 300xl/day.