Birth control pills and other hormonal birth control

Soul

@Altostrata I'm not taking anything, I am just wondering others experience in WD with taking hormones to help with the PMS/PMDD induced by WD...

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

@Altostrata thanks!

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 8:25 PM, Peachy said:

@Altostrata I'm not taking anything, I am just wondering others experience in WD with taking hormones to help with the PMS/PMDD induced by WD...

I ended up with severe PMDD after stopping birth control and celexa. I made it two months off the pill and almost lost my mind. I was put on Lo Loestrin (low dose combo pill) and I got MUCH worse. Went back to my original higher dose estrogen pill and became very suicidal. I have not yet determined whether I have a hormone imbalance from long term use of contraceptives of PMDD , but I found once my body started trying to make it's own hormones, putting synthetic ones back in just made me so much worse. 

• 5 weeks later...

@Eastcoastgirl Thanks for letting me know. How are you now? I literally loose my mind during pms. Will this ever end?

Edited by Karma
name update

On 5/18/2019 at 5:39 PM, Peachy said:

@Eastcoastgirl Thanks for letting me know. How are you now? I literally loose my mind during pms. Will this ever end?

I'm still in really bad shape. I'm the day before my period and haven't stopped crying all day, depressed, flu-like .. so I feel your pain big time. But I also went off the pill 3 months ago so I may have a hormone imbalance. I reinstated 1mg of my antidepressant this month & I found my PMS has been much much shorter but now that i'm really close i'm a wreck and it's not doing a thing. If you ever find anything that helps please let me know! It's so awful.

Edited by Karma
name update

@Eastcoastgirl I'm sorry your suffering, I really do understand. I am more or less feeling WD normal-ish during the rest of the month. I wish there were more stories of women on here that had a bad time during their cycle, and this eventually healed or lessened a lot.  Do you know of any??

Edited by Karma
name update

On 5/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, Peachy said:

@Eastcoastgirl I'm sorry your suffering, I really do understand. I am more or less feeling WD normal-ish during the rest of the month. I wish there were more stories of women on here that had a bad time during their cycle, and this eventually healed or lessened a lot.  Do you know of any??

Thank you. I am so sorry for you as well. I am the exact same way. My month is 50% normal and 50% nightmare. I have searched here before and saw quite a few people say their PMS got a lot worse during withdrawal, and also people who are in menopause. I have a strong feeling that hormones are just one of those things that disrupt our sensitive nervous systems and throw us into a bit of a wave. I tell myself that it will get better, I can't imagine it lasting forever. I have developed histamine intolerance and I find my hormone changes not only give me allergy-like symptoms but turn me into a total looney. I am working on fixing the HIT & hoping this will improve the PMDD-type symptpms.

Edited by Karma
name update

• Mentor

Evening Primrose oil has really helped me this month with reducing/eliminating the anxiety and depression I get just before it. I am at day 28 and only experiencing minor low feelings (my hair sucks, millenials bug, I hate this city) but not the suicidal despair I have felt in the past. Started it a little over 3 weeks ago. I guess the test will be if it helps next month and the next too but right now I am hopeful. And it is gentle on my CNS.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

@Eastcoastgirl are you taking BC now? I a thinking of trying bio-identicals to help stop ovulation for awhile until I get off this crap and heal some. Might not work, but I have to try something. 

Edited by Karma
name update

On 5/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, Peachy said:

@Eastcoastgirl are you taking BC now? I a thinking of trying bio-identicals to help stop ovulation for awhile until I get off this crap and heal some. Might not work, but I have to try something. 

Nope! I have been off birth control for 3 months now. I notice an improvement this month but on my period I can barely move due to extreme fatigue. I've been listening to Lara Briden's book The Period Repair Manual and it's been very helpful. I think from what i've learned, I don't believe bio-identical hormones can stop ovulation, I think only the pill can do that but you would have to ask your doctor or gyno ! I found that even when I was on birth control, I still had a really crappy time during my periods while tapering off Prozac.. it seems to have something to do with withdrawal.

Its been 8 months since i quit Lexapro. Its been hell, ofc. But regarding pms? Oh my lord. I suffer from reeealy bad pmdd since ssri. 

So i had some tests done, showed low on progesterone, i got to try Lutinus. Shouldnt. It nearly killed me. So I decided to try the cream instead. All natural, sounded better. So. Besides feeling like crap from ssri most days of the month.... 

I took 200mg of the cream, 10 days a month for 3 months, felt awesome at first! Then Another level of hell broke loose. For 10 days a month now instead I shiver, have fevers and "the flue" on and off all the time. Crazy sinus issues! My nerves are all over the place, everthing hot feels cold and vice versa on my skin, feels like cold water running down my back. My eyes hurt, my teeth hurt and worse of all is the burning skin.. Everywhere i had put the cream my skin is on fire 24/7, im red and  flushing and sweating like a pig, joint pain, muscle pain, my soles on feet hurt, my left arm went numb, dizzy like crazy and just lie in my bed and shake for some days, and im tired.. Like.. Awfully tired, cortisoldrops thru the days.. Where i need to sleep asap. Anxiety from mars!! The day i get ny period everthing in my body buzzez, i cant even stand up, or even crawl to the bathroom. DP is nothing compared to this feeling. 

... These sre just some of my side effects. Its been 3 months since i quit the cream. Its getting little better by time.. But can your body heal itself now? Will my adrenal go back to normal? Have i destroid myself for good? 😕 So Yeah, im scared shitless now. I know progesterone affects cns, and get stored in fat tissues.. So maybe in time it all would be gone from my body. I hope. 

Just my varning here, I would rather rewind, try again to balance with healthy foods, cbt (like reading Claire weekes), try some herbs instead and listen when most docs said i didnt need any HRT since i have my period every month. 

2008 - Setralin 150mg, CT after 1 year. 
2015 - Venlafaxin 150mg. CT after 1 month. 
2016 - Brintellix 100mg, CT after  2 years.

January - Mirtazapin 25 mg, CT after 1 month. 
Mars - Setralin 100 mg. CT after 1 month. 
August- Lexapro 5 mg. CT after 1 month, adverse reaction. Stopped all benzo, sleeping pills here too. 

January - Took fluconazol and itraconazol, strong reaction, like bein floxed. 

January - Used progesteronecream 200mg a day for 1 month. Severe reaction month 2 so i stopped (maybe built up cream in tissues?) 

April - Took plan-B, this messed me up the most. 

I haven't had my period in over 5 months. I was not even going to post here because I now feel like a lost cause. Has anyone gone without their period this long and got it back? How long did it take to return to a normal cycle?

APs/AD: 2.5 months Risperdal 1-2mg for 10 days Aug 21-31 2018, Abilify Maintena 400mg (an injection that lasts for a month) late December 2018 to early January 2019, Zyprexa 5mg for 22 days, first time taking zyprexa was in mid September of  2018 for 14 days the second time  for 10 days was November 8 - November 16, 2018; Mirtazapine for 8 days, Gabapentin for 10 days, Propranolol for 4 days, Prozac for 14 days. Oct. 2- 29, 2020: Depakote 500 mg for 14 days October 13-27; haldol 5 mg for 14 days Ocotober 13-27 ; cogentin 1 mg for 4 days; invega shot that is a 1 time shot that lasts for a month. 

Supplements:  Omega-3 Fish Oil

Note: I am not a medical doctor and all comments made by me are my personal opinions and are not based off of scientific fact and or testing. 

3 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I haven't had my period in over 5 months. I was not even going to post here because I now feel like a lost cause. Has anyone gone without their period this long and got it back? How long did it take to return to a normal cycle?

Oh yes many people have gone years and got it back , it depends on what the cause is. Hormone imbalance, perimenopause, PCOS, being underweight, stress, certain medications, illness can all cause missed periods.

• Moderator Emeritus

My (now) 23 year old daughter pretty much had her menstrual cycle wiped out by meds for about 7 months.  As she tapered it returned.... but was irregular.  Now that she is off, she is starting to become more regular again.   

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

On 5/24/2019 at 7:11 AM, siwoue said:

Its been 8 months since i quit Lexapro. Its been hell, ofc. But regarding pms? Oh my lord. I suffer from reeealy bad pmdd since ssri. 

So i had some tests done, showed low on progesterone, i got to try Lutinus. Shouldnt. It nearly killed me. So I decided to try the cream instead. All natural, sounded better. So. Besides feeling like crap from ssri most days of the month.... 

I took 200mg of the cream, 10 days a month for 3 months, felt awesome at first! Then Another level of hell broke loose. For 10 days a month now instead I shiver, have fevers and "the flue" on and off all the time. Crazy sinus issues! My nerves are all over the place, everthing hot feels cold and vice versa on my skin, feels like cold water running down my back. My eyes hurt, my teeth hurt and worse of all is the burning skin.. Everywhere i had put the cream my skin is on fire 24/7, im red and  flushing and sweating like a pig, joint pain, muscle pain, my soles on feet hurt, my left arm went numb, dizzy like crazy and just lie in my bed and shake for some days, and im tired.. Like.. Awfully tired, cortisoldrops thru the days.. Where i need to sleep asap. Anxiety from mars!! The day i get ny period everthing in my body buzzez, i cant even stand up, or even crawl to the bathroom. DP is nothing compared to this feeling. 

... These sre just some of my side effects. Its been 3 months since i quit the cream. Its getting little better by time.. But can your body heal itself now? Will my adrenal go back to normal? Have i destroid myself for good? 😕 So Yeah, im scared shitless now. I know progesterone affects cns, and get stored in fat tissues.. So maybe in time it all would be gone from my body. I hope. 

Just my varning here, I would rather rewind, try again to balance with healthy foods, cbt (like reading Claire weekes), try some herbs instead and listen when most docs said i didnt need any HRT since i have my period every month. 

Interesting. I went off the pill 3 months ago and I have all these symptoms without taking progesterone cream. I am scared to try any treatment. 

On 5/27/2019 at 12:20 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Interesting. I went off the pill 3 months ago and I have all these symptoms without taking progesterone cream. I am scared to try any treatment. 

But the pill do have progestins.. ? Ive read on hormonesmatter that some Women react like this coming off the pill, hrt och like me, progesteronecream. Like it doesnt matter which one we took as long as we couldnt tolerate it or it f*cked up out hormones, so we react the same afterwards before stabilized.. Im thinking out loud here. 

Edited by Karma
name update

August- Lexapro 5 mg. CT after 1 month, adverse reaction. Stopped all benzo, sleeping pills here too. 

January - Used progesteronecream 200mg a day for 1 month. Severe reaction month 2 so i stopped (maybe built up cream in tissues?) 

On 5/27/2019 at 12:20 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Oh and btw, before trying anything! I just read "period repair manual" by Lara Briden. Best thing ever! I learned a lot about how hormones work and have to stabilize after like.. the pill all natural with.. Stuff like zink. Supplement depending on your symptoms. I highly recommend! 

Edited by Karma
name update

1 minute ago, siwoue said:

Oh and btw, before trying anything! I just read "period repair manual" by Lara Briden. Best thing ever! I learned a lot about how hormones work and have to stabilize after like.. the pill all natural with.. Stuff like zink. Supplement depending on your symptoms. I highly recommend! 

I listened to her book on audible, it is very helpful ! My hormones are definitely messed up.

Yeah, mine too. And it sucks that noone beilves you. Regarding doctors and so. So, well have to pray, and do what we can, and that time allows our body to get back to healthy hormones. Like it was t enough being in wd. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am 7 months off of zyprexa and have not had my period since I first started taking zyprexa. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there hope to getting ones cycle back? What do you do to get your cycle back? 

APs/AD: 2.5 months Risperdal 1-2mg for 10 days Aug 21-31 2018, Abilify Maintena 400mg (an injection that lasts for a month) late December 2018 to early January 2019, Zyprexa 5mg for 22 days, first time taking zyprexa was in mid September of  2018 for 14 days the second time  for 10 days was November 8 - November 16, 2018; Mirtazapine for 8 days, Gabapentin for 10 days, Propranolol for 4 days, Prozac for 14 days. Oct. 2- 29, 2020: Depakote 500 mg for 14 days October 13-27; haldol 5 mg for 14 days Ocotober 13-27 ; cogentin 1 mg for 4 days; invega shot that is a 1 time shot that lasts for a month. 

Note: I am not a medical doctor and all comments made by me are my personal opinions and are not based off of scientific fact and or testing. 

4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I am 7 months off of zyprexa and have not had my period since I first started taking zyprexa. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there hope to getting ones cycle back? What do you do to get your cycle back? 

I have never heard of that happening. Have you tried Vitex? You may not get it back unless you stop the Zyprexa if it's related to the drug.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

I have never heard of that happening. Have you tried Vitex? You may not get it back unless you stop the Zyprexa if it's related to the drug.

I've stopped the zyprexa

Edited by Karma
name update

58 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I've stopped the zyprexa

I did a quick search and it looks like Zyprexa can increase prolactin levels in the blood which can lead to lack of periods. Another side effect listed is "problem with periods" .. perhaps you're dealing with these issues still despite being off it , or it could be unrelated.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

On 6/26/2019 at 11:36 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

I did a quick search and it looks like Zyprexa can increase prolactin levels in the blood which can lead to lack of periods. Another side effect listed is "problem with periods" .. perhaps you're dealing with these issues still despite being off it , or it could be unrelated.

Thanks. I think it's zyprexa related. In any event, I ordered the vitex and primrose oil. Hopefully they work.

Edited by Karma
name update

On 1/5/2015 at 7:18 PM, Wildflower0214 said:

I have now stopped having my period. I'm sure it's just yet another sign of the optimal health legacy left by Lexepro, Effexor, and Ativan. I just want to take a moment of gratitude, to say thank you to my psych... ;(

Has your period returned?

I'm curious to know what other people experience in regards to the withdrawal-induced PMDD. My symptoms start about 3 days before my period and go all the way up to day 13 of my cycle. I get really exhausted and moody, depression and sometimes suicidal thoughts, major brain fog, and OCD. 

• 2 months later...

Is there any hormonal birth control that can work well for women with a history of "mental health", as they say, and antidepressant withdrawals, too?

(I've got endometriosis and hormonal birth control is usually prescribed for women with this condition to help keep it in check. Most hormonal birth control I've tried has been bad for me emotionally, and seeing how poorly I function with my emotions out of whack, most of it is not an option? Haven't tried IUDs, though.)

2000: Paxil, low dose. 2001: Paxil, quickly tapered off. 2006: Zoloft, 25mg. 2007: Wellbutrin, low dose, discontinued after a week or a month. 2007-2009: Zoloft, increasing dose (up to 75mg). 2009-2011: Zoloft, failed withdrawal attempts (cold-turkey; fast tapering). 2009-2011: Trying out Cymbalta, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, Ambien, Ativan, and Xanax. 2012-2015: Zoloft, 100mg to 200mg. 2013: Trazadone for Zoloft-induced insomnia, 25mg to 50mg.  2015: Trileptal, dose?, withdrew; Bupropion, up to 200mg. 2016: Zoloft, 137mg, Bupropion, 150mg, Trazodone, 25mg.

05/21/16: Began Zoloft taper - 10% from 150mg - 137ish mg

06/23/16: Zoloft taper - 125mg

08/03/16: Bupropion XL taper - cut 150mg pill in crude half (mistake)

10/31: Zoloft successfully down to 100mg. Staying on 100mg for 2-3 months to let my brain rest.

11/09: Wellbutrin SR prescribed, 150mg once a day, for withdrawal.

12/11: Wellbutrin SR, twice daily - minus 18ishmg = 112.50mg

09/30/17: Off Wellbutrin SR successfully. Zoloft taper: 90ish mg (shaving it off). Trazodone: still at 50mg.

June 2018: Zoloft: 80ish (shaving off). Trazodone: 6mg. End of 2018: Off Trazodone.

01/20: Zoloft: 70ish?

08/20: Still around 80 or 70. Tapering by only 15 shaves each month.

04/2021: 50mg! 11/2022: 40ish mg

hello! I used to use Nuva Ring. It still had a negative effect on my energy over time (around 6 years) but for the first few years I found it really helpful. It gave me very few mental health complaints whereas all the pills made me insanely emotional, moody and totally non-functional. My dr. said the pills get processed direct into the blood via the stomach whereas Nuva Ring only releases local hormones, which made it easier for my system to take, and isn't permanent like a IUD. 

fully off meds for five years. was on lamictal for 8 years, topomax for almost 2 @ same time as lamictal, before that was on a cocktail including fluvoxamine, prozac, wellbutrin, zoloft, and more starting from age 12 to age 22

"You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert repenting. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves. Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine...Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting - over and over announcing your place in the family of things." - Mary Oliver 

• 2 months later...

I've been reading the "Period Repair Manual" mentioned earlier, as well as the author (Lara Briden)'s website and have been learning a lot of interesting things about how progesterone affects the GABA system. Which seems pretty relevant to withdrawing!  @Eastcoastgirl it sounds like the good part of your cycle is the part where your body is making progesterone, which in most people is very calming, almost like a natural benzo, then you basically go into withdrawal from it 3 days before your period when your body stops making it.  But I don't think what you're describing is technically "PMDD" because it's mostly during the non-premenstrual parts of the cycle. Probably when you were on the SSRIs and especially benzos, the meds stabilized your GABA system and now your body doesn't know how to deal with the natural hormonal fluctuations in the system. More magnesium (and maybe l-theanine?) during your "progesterone withdrawal" might help.

My problem is the opposite, I'm one of those lucky people with a "paradoxical reaction" to progesterone, meaning the part of my cycle when I'm making progesterone (right after ovulation to a few days before menstruation) everything is fully awful. Brain fog, fatigue, everything is Super Annoying.... but the part of my cycle right before (about 2-3 days) ovulation is great and I have energy and can actually think straight. I know there's got to be some way I can harness my hormones to feel like that all month... or at least more of the month than 2-3 days!

The theory is that in some people a small amount of progesterone (actually one of its metabolites) triggers GABA system to an alert state, and that a larger amount pushes through that state to a calm state. Similar to how in some people small doses of ADs are activating, and larger doses are calming. But of course the typical medical response is "let's dump some more progesterone on it and see if it clears up!" or prescribe some SSRIs for the week or two before menstruation to hopefully push the GABA system into the more calm state. (And BTW the progestins in birth control are very different from natural progesterone and don't get broken down into the GABA calming metabolite.)

Edited by Karma
name update
2018/7 Started on lamotrigine (12.5 mg) and escitalopram (2.5 mg). Tapered up over the course of a month to 50 mg LTG, 10 mg escit. Kept tapering LTG up to 75 mg by 2018/10. 2018/11 Crosstapered from escitalopram to sertraline. 2018/12 Was still taking both SSRIs (escit. 5 mg, sert. 25 mg) when sert. was discontinued to trial quetiapine. Quet. tapered up to 25 mg, but tapered back down after 3 days on the full dose because side effects. Total time on quetiapine 10 days. Switched back to cross tapering esit. and sert., started tapering LTG up to 100 mg.

2019/1 Lamotrigine 100 mg, sertraline 12.5 mg, escitalopram 5 mg. Finally discontinued escit. and on full dosage of sertraline (25 mg) 2019/04.

2019/11 About two weeks of sertraline 12.5 mg, but went back up to 25 mg.
2019/12/4 Lamotrigine taper: too fast, down to 25 mg over the course of about 10 days. Also started increase sertraline 37.5 mg during luteal phase of menstrual cycle for PMDD.

2020/(early) on 22 mg lamotrigine for a while, maybe a month and a half, maybe longer, then 2020/03 Institutionalized for self harm. I think I was trying to taper the sertraline at the time, don't remember the details. Doses increased: Sertraline 50 mg/lamotrigine 25 mg (current regimen). Supposed to be taking seroquel and abilify (TWO antipsychotics?!) but didn't take any once I was discharged from the institution. (Was on them a few days.)
2001(?) Citalopram, don't remember dosage, cold turkey after a couple months and had terrible withdrawals, including what in retrospect was probably PAWS for the next five or so years. (agoraphobia, crippling social anxiety, anhedonia, dp/dr).

• Altostrata changed the title to birth control 2
  • 3 years later...

Hi not sure if anyone is still on here but I’m looking for advice on starting birth control during withdrawal. From several days before my period up until like day 13 of my cycle are pure hell. I also have severe endometriosis so I really want to go on a pill continuously to control all of this but am terrified of what might happen. Anyone have any experience with this? 

5/10-viibryd 15 to 10 start 10 prozac

5/17-adrenaline surges, panic, viibryd to 7.5

5/20-stopped viibryd ?serotonin syndrome

5/23-stopped Prozac as symptoms continued 

6/2-reinstated viibryd 5mg

6/7-10 mg-better x 1 week only

6/13-15 mg-same thing

6/22-20 mg-same thing but akathesia went away

7/7-viibryd 25 mg split 15 am 10 pm
7/7-started Lunesta to sleep, 0.25 Ativan prn.

7/27-started propanolol 10 mg BID
8/1-viibryd reduced to 10 mg am 10 pm

@Ma205

Have you ever met with a naturopath to look into the root cause of your hormonal issues? Or tried seed-cycling - it's mostly anecdotal, but some women swear by it.

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

8 minutes ago, MedRN said:

@Ma205

Have you ever met with a naturopath to look into the root cause of your hormonal issues? Or tried seed-cycling - it's mostly anecdotal, but some women swear by it.

Iv had my hormones checked several times. My hormones are all normal. I did seed cycling for years to try and get pregnant. My body is having an insane reaction to my hormones right now since being in withdrawal

6/13-15 mg-same thing

On 12/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, bottlehalffull said:

I've been reading the "Period Repair Manual" mentioned earlier, as well as the author (Lara Briden)'s website and have been learning a lot of interesting things about how progesterone affects the GABA system. Which seems pretty relevant to withdrawing!  @Eastcoastgirl it sounds like the good part of your cycle is the part where your body is making progesterone, which in most people is very calming, almost like a natural benzo, then you basically go into withdrawal from it 3 days before your period when your body stops making it.  But I don't think what you're describing is technically "PMDD" because it's mostly during the non-premenstrual parts of the cycle. Probably when you were on the SSRIs and especially benzos, the meds stabilized your GABA system and now your body doesn't know how to deal with the natural hormonal fluctuations in the system. More magnesium (and maybe l-theanine?) during your "progesterone withdrawal" might help.

My problem is the opposite, I'm one of those lucky people with a "paradoxical reaction" to progesterone, meaning the part of my cycle when I'm making progesterone (right after ovulation to a few days before menstruation) everything is fully awful. Brain fog, fatigue, everything is Super Annoying.... but the part of my cycle right before (about 2-3 days) ovulation is great and I have energy and can actually think straight. I know there's got to be some way I can harness my hormones to feel like that all month... or at least more of the month than 2-3 days!

The theory is that in some people a small amount of progesterone (actually one of its metabolites) triggers GABA system to an alert state, and that a larger amount pushes through that state to a calm state. Similar to how in some people small doses of ADs are activating, and larger doses are calming. But of course the typical medical response is "let's dump some more progesterone on it and see if it clears up!" or prescribe some SSRIs for the week or two before menstruation to hopefully push the GABA system into the more calm state. (And BTW the progestins in birth control are very different from natural progesterone and don't get broken down into the GABA calming metabolite.)

hi I know this post is so old, but your post seems to be the only one Iv found that actually matches my theory on all of this. Would you be willing to talk? 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

• 2 weeks later...

@Peachy your description of PMDD is exactly how I feel. 55% month I feel ok 45% horrible because as soon as I start the cycle all withdrawal symptoms come back. The depression is the worse for me. 

how are you doing now? 

August 2018 50mg Zoloft for PPD

November 2021 stopped taking Zoloft

October 2022 back on 50mg Zoloft

December 29th 2022 upped to 100mg Zoloft (horrible adverse reaction) 

January 8th 2023 Ct off Zoloft (by hospital) 

1/9/23 100mg 3x daily gabapentin 2/9/2023 taper off gabapentin 

March 2023 -current .5mg Ativan daily 

May 2023 .5mg am and .5mg pm Ativan 

4/25/23-reinstated 1.5mg liquid Zoloft

7/8 10mg liquid Zoloft 

8/1 started Ativan taper 0.067mg daily 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy