Birth control pills and other hormonal birth control

Soul

Moon, YES! Lymph have been sore for couple months now and now that I missed my period, they don't seem to be bothering as much(?). I thought it was related to die off from adding a tiny of probiotic and the Lexapro leaving my system, but maybe it's related to hormones as well. 

I even bought a mini-rebounder. Be careful on it though - I did 5 minutes on the first day I had it and was wiped out with fatigue the next day presumably from the lymph releasing toxins in the bloodstream. 

I also do yin yoga from youtube and prop my legs against the wall, which seems to help. 

I used to take evening of primrose oil and never knew if it did anything, so I stopped it a couple months ago. Maybe it WAS doing something. LOL. So I'm adding that back in the mix. It doesn't give me any bad reactions so that's a good thing for my hypersensitive body. 

Don't you wish these bodies came with manuals? Sending metta to all of you!

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Hi guys- 10 days late my period started . It's been a whopper.

I've had a lot of bladder fullness and urgency both before getting it and now on day 4 it is raging again.

Is this a hormonal detox or am I starting a new round of WD symptoms?

For those of you with bladder issues, how long did they last? How do you cope?

Guess I should a UTI test as well.

Any advice?

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Im right there with all you ladies, im sure im peri-menopausal as well, I know my hormones are out of wack, had them tested. Tried to back on birth control pills-made me crazy, tried bio identical hormones again a no go. God is there no end to this, will we ever be able to take medications again if needed???

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Greentrain,

I also was 10 days late and started my period last night. I was peeing a lot more too and have been today as well. For me that is normal and what I've always thought it was, was that my body is releasing the water it was retaining during pms. I always feel skinnier after I pee a lot during this time so I think that is what it is at least for me lol. Maybe you too?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

That's a good way to look at it, Moon, except for me I've lost so much weight during this withdrawal - 114 lb at 5'6" - that losing anymore is bad and maybe contributing to the late period. :)

I did a UTI check yesterday and it came back negative. Symptoms - urgency, fullness, irritation and some ovary cramping - were miserable yesterday and through the night but seem better so far this am. Urgent care Dr yesterday said once the hormones wash out, things should improve. 

Dr was saddened by my Lexapro experience - she said "You're not to be kept on those drugs for longer than a year or so!" and the nurse said that one of her friends can't get off of hers, was switched to another SSRI and at 25 yrs old expects to be on them the rest of her life. So sad. 

If you're looking for me today, you'll find me on my yoga mat trying to release my poor psoas muscle that is gripping after putting our beloved dog to sleep last week and now these symptoms, and at my acupuncturist's office!  :) Take good care. 

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Yeah I'm 24 and I had to reinstate 1mg Lexapro after almost 5 months. I tried switching to Prozac and weaning off and I've tried to get off two times before and it's looking like I'll be taking a low dose probably the rest of my life too. I might try weaning off extremely slowly again eventually but I don't know if even that will work. It is sad.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

Does anyone get suicidal before and during their periods? I do.

I just had my period this past weekend and it was a nightmare. I don't mind the physical symptoms, the mental symptoms are impossible to bear. I turn into a depressive/maniac monster, screaming, throwing things, seeing everything in an extremely negative way, thinking I don't love my boyfriend anymore, and wanting to die. I don't know if this is still related to withdrawal, or just my hormones are completely out of control. 

I know the tag for this is called PMDD by doctors, and their main course of action is SSRI's or birthcontrol. I can't tolerate any of those. I'm still trying to survive from WD. I don't know what to do. I don't want to add any more supplements because I think I don't tolerate it. But I might try primrose oil again and see what happens. 

This is really hard, I dread this will happen to me next month. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Mentor

Hi guys- 10 days late my period started . It's been a whopper.

I've had a lot of bladder fullness and urgency both before getting it and now on day 4 it is raging again.

Is this a hormonal detox or am I starting a new round of WD symptoms?

For those of you with bladder issues, how long did they last? How do you cope?

Guess I should a UTI test as well.

Any advice?

Hi Greentrain.  Before i realised i was in full blown withdrawals, I nearly, very nearly wet the bed. i just couldnt control it.   Now I realise it was WD.  Luckily, that has not happened again.  And when the flu thing hit, I sh*t  my pants, not nice....  these drugs are horrific.     And I dont know if this is helpful, but before menopause, my periods got heavier and heavier, totally unmanageable in volume.  Glad I didn't do anything about it, they just suddenly stopped.  And as I was on effexor, I had horrific night sweats, but I believe the effexor caused them.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Cdav,

I don't get quite as severe pms as it sounds like you do and I'm so sorry you have to go through that. When our estrogen drops to have a period so does our serotonin levels. For women estrogen and serotonin go together hand in hand. I was also going to suggest evening primrose oil. I've heard of some people taking 5-htp just during there pms and periods but that usually is people not in withdrawal. Maybe you can try that sometime when your not in withdrawal and stable. Otherwise try natural coping mechanisms like taking relaxing baths, drinking chamomile tea, meditation, read a book. Do things that make you happy and feel good and get your mind off things. Exercise if you can. Try replacing negative thoughts with good ones. Even if you don't believe the positive thought just replace the negative one anyway. This rewires the brain eventually to think more positive as a habit. It's not easy to create a new habit like this but stick with it and it will happen if you really try. Thoughts are very powerful as you know because look how the negative thoughts get you so down. Positive ones are just as powerful as negative ones. Train your brain to think more positive. Show it who's boss and that you are the one who is in control of your thoughts. I'm working on this one myself but I notice when I get in a positive thinking pattern I feel better. I know it's not easy though. Observe the thought as if you weren't attached to it and think about why you might feel that way and if it is even a rational thought. Then don't fight it just let it go and replace the thought with a positive one. Like if you are thinking "I don't love my boyfriend anymore." Think about 5 reasons you do love about him. Those are some non supplement forms to help with severe pms. Otherwise try the primrose oil as well if you want. I hope things get better for you! :)

Does anyone get a POST-menstrual syndrome that is as bad or worse as their Pre-Menstrual Syndrome? I have noticed for a while now that starting at about day 4 of my period I begin to get depression, anxiety/DR, severe fatigue, insomnia, and lots of stomach issues (total loss of appetite, nausea, constant gas and stomach rumbling). I am at day 12 and this last Post-MS was a whopper. I lost about 4-5 pounds, because I have no desire to eat and my stomach is just upset most of the time. I do have some Pre-Menstrual Issues, mostly irritability, mood swings, and insomnia, but I swear it's much worse after my period. It's like it sends me into an instant wave that doesn't let up until about day 16 in my cycle, maybe longer. Am I alone in this? Is it WD or is there something really off with my hormones?

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Hi ladybug (that's a cute name - I call my daughter ladybug), In withdrawal I happen to get a whopper headache on day 4 or 5. That's new for me. My chinese medicine guy thinks it has to do with blood depletion. Either way, you think you should be out of the woods once you get it but you're not. Bummer. 

I'm on an easy part of the cycle now and enjoying every minute of it! ;)

I have been using a lot of energy medicine holds and tapping in the morning to get my toxic-feeling self out of bed and I really notice a difference so this month I'm trying to add the PMS module to my 5 minute routine. I use this book by Donna Eden and I'm seeing some results. Plus, I like her positive language and 'everything can be healed' approach. 

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Medicine-Women-Aligning-Energies/dp/1585426474/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y5GFYY843ZKVHMZTQ2P

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Hi ladybug (that's a cute name - I call my daughter ladybug), In withdrawal I happen to get a whopper headache on day 4 or 5. That's new for me. My chinese medicine guy thinks it has to do with blood depletion. Either way, you think you should be out of the woods once you get it but you're not. Bummer. 

I'm on an easy part of the cycle now and enjoying every minute of it! ;)

I have been using a lot of energy medicine holds and tapping in the morning to get my toxic-feeling self out of bed and I really notice a difference so this month I'm trying to add the PMS module to my 5 minute routine. I use this book by Donna Eden and I'm seeing some results. Plus, I like her positive language and 'everything can be healed' approach. 

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Medicine-Women-Aligning-Energies/dp/1585426474/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y5GFYY843ZKVHMZTQ2P

Thank you, Green. Yes, I forgot about the headaches! I usually get them after my period, but this time I only got them before and not after. They last days for me too. I have been wondering if any of this has to do with iron depletion/anemia due to my heavy periods so I am making sure to take my iron supplements every day during this time. Although, I wonder if it makes the stomach issues worse. I forgot to mention I also get heart palpitations and racing heart when I do anything, even get up to go to the bathroom. This is slowly getting better as I move farther away from my period.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I will take a look at it.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

This time of the month that is happening currently has been the worst yet. I have gotten so many wd symptoms that are extremely bothersome. The weird thing is last month I was fine and had no effect on me. I just hope for strength during this hard time and hope this will pass.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

This time of the month that is happening currently has been the worst yet. I have gotten so many wd symptoms that are extremely bothersome. The weird thing is last month I was fine and had no effect on me. I just hope for strength during this hard time and hope this will pass.

I'm sorry, Purplestars. I get that too, where some month's periods are way worse than others. It will absolutely pass. I hate the hormone rollercoaster.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

Cdav,

I don't get quite as severe pms as it sounds like you do and I'm so sorry you have to go through that. When our estrogen drops to have a period so does our serotonin levels. For women estrogen and serotonin go together hand in hand. I was also going to suggest evening primrose oil. I've heard of some people taking 5-htp just during there pms and periods but that usually is people not in withdrawal. Maybe you can try that sometime when your not in withdrawal and stable. Otherwise try natural coping mechanisms like taking relaxing baths, drinking chamomile tea, meditation, read a book. Do things that make you happy and feel good and get your mind off things. Exercise if you can. Try replacing negative thoughts with good ones. Even if you don't believe the positive thought just replace the negative one anyway. This rewires the brain eventually to think more positive as a habit. It's not easy to create a new habit like this but stick with it and it will happen if you really try. Thoughts are very powerful as you know because look how the negative thoughts get you so down. Positive ones are just as powerful as negative ones. Train your brain to think more positive. Show it who's boss and that you are the one who is in control of your thoughts. I'm working on this one myself but I notice when I get in a positive thinking pattern I feel better. I know it's not easy though. Observe the thought as if you weren't attached to it and think about why you might feel that way and if it is even a rational thought. Then don't fight it just let it go and replace the thought with a positive one. Like if you are thinking "I don't love my boyfriend anymore." Think about 5 reasons you do love about him. Those are some non supplement forms to help with severe pms. Otherwise try the primrose oil as well if you want. I hope things get better for you! :)

Moonlitelotus, sorry I hadn't replied. I have had a very deep bout of depression that started since my last ovulation, then got worse before my period and continued after it. Until now I'm having a little bit of relief from those emotional symptoms. 

Thank you so much for your advice! It is very very helpful. I'm going to try to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones. I know this is not easy in the midst of the neuro-emotions, but I have to keep trying. Also, your advice about thinking about the things I love about my boyfriend will be really helpful, so I don't fall into the trap of my hormones and recovering brain telling me lies. 

I'm starting primrose oil and see if I can tolerate it and hopefully it will help me on my next cycle. I'm also staring QiGong meditation exercises. I really want to heal. 

Thank you very much for your words. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

Does anyone get a POST-menstrual syndrome that is as bad or worse as their Pre-Menstrual Syndrome? I have noticed for a while now that starting at about day 4 of my period I begin to get depression, anxiety/DR, severe fatigue, insomnia, and lots of stomach issues (total loss of appetite, nausea, constant gas and stomach rumbling). I am at day 12 and this last Post-MS was a whopper. I lost about 4-5 pounds, because I have no desire to eat and my stomach is just upset most of the time. I do have some Pre-Menstrual Issues, mostly irritability, mood swings, and insomnia, but I swear it's much worse after my period. It's like it sends me into an instant wave that doesn't let up until about day 16 in my cycle, maybe longer. Am I alone in this? Is it WD or is there something really off with my hormones?

Ladybug, I also get what seems like a Post-Menstrual syndrome. After all the irritability of PMS, then I become extremely depressed and it lasts very very long. I think it is WD and hormones together. Our brains and nervous systems are trying to do their best to recover but then hormones hit and we are too sensitive for those changes, so we are thrown off balance again. 

Purplestars22, 

I also get confused because some months it's not too bad and it doesn't last too long. But this last period it was horrible. Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not. We need to encourage each other. I know how terrible it is, and we really need to be strong and use all the resources that we can use. 

I hope your next cycle is better. 

Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not.

Yep! It seems like every good window is followed by a worse wave. I know that when it comes to my period it seems like JUST when I am feeling recovered from the last one, it's time for new one. It never ends.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

I'm sorry, Purplestars. I get that too, where some month's periods are way worse than others. It will absolutely pass. I hate the hormone rollercoaster.

Hey ladybug, thanks for your reply yeah pms can be so unpredictable and tough with wd. But we just have to keep moving forward. I wish you the best on your next cycle.

Celexa free 12/2013

Purplestars22, 

I also get confused because some months it's not too bad and it doesn't last too long. But this last period it was horrible. Just when I think I'm making progress, it seems like I'm not. We need to encourage each other. I know how terrible it is, and we really need to be strong and use all the resources that we can use. 

I hope your next cycle is better.

Hello Cdav, I agree and with support of this forum it helps us become more knowledgeable on how to manage the pms symptoms. I also hope for next cycle to be better.

Celexa free 12/2013

Hi Purple, I had a really tough, long cycle last month and this month has been on and off cramps, back pain and bladder urgency/irritation. This is after a year in tapering and withdrawal where each cycle was a lovely 28 days and they were easy. 

The way my recovery has gone is that my body healed the brain symptoms first, then went to the gut, then peripheral nervous system and now I'm assuming that it is working on 'righting' my hormones and bladder. 

I am expecting it to take a few cycles to regulate but I am positive that things will return to normal as our helping progresses. 

Try to keep your blood sugar stable with plenty of good quality fats and protein. Blood sugar regulation is very important to hormone health. For people in our state, eating every 3 hours or so is probably most helpful. 

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Greentrain,

Hopefully on your next cycle it's more manageable for you. For me it's not the physical symptoms that I get rather emotional and psychological. Thanks for your recommendations and will apply them since nutrition is directly correlated to how the hormones and body performs. My cycle/hormones is out of balanced the average day I get my cycle is 37 days instead of 28.

Celexa free 12/2013

The mental stuff is worse I'm sure. The most mental I get is vivid dreams and mood swings. I had the strongest cravings today for chocolate EVER. I didn't give in, tho. Props for me!! ;)

I've read that vit c, and emmenagogue herbs, like parsley, yarrow and rosemary can help bring on a late period. Maybe add a few into your rotation. They're very good for your health in general.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

I just joined this forum in order to get some support as I am having a horrific time. I'm 24, almost 25 and was prescribed Luvox in 2008 for depression/anxiety. I started to taper in August 2014. During this time I've experienced all the usual withdrawal symptoms like nausea, headaches, anxiety, crying spells etc etc - all to be expected I guess!

However being a female I've seemed to had developed a myriad of hormonal problems including menstrual irregularities, severe PMS and my ob/gyn diagnosed me with PCOS in Nov 2014. I opted not to take anything for it it's almost as if I don't want to start supplementing with hormones until I'm done with my taper and allowed my body to recover and heal.

So my question is has any women experienced issues with their mentrual cycle whilst withdrawing?

Hi Dee! I'm 26. I just want to tell you that in my opinion PCO is, just like so many "mental diseases", waaaaaayy overly diagnosed. I have many friends that's been diagnosed with PCO by one doctor, and then a year later have met another doctor that's told them they don't have PCO. Whenever a woman has menstrual- or hormone problems, or just have gained weight and seeking advice for how to lose it, the doctors are too lazy and uninterested to find out what's wrong (or not wrong) with the women so they just say: "you have PCO take this hormones and you'll probably always be overweight since you have PCO". But, this is of course my personal opinion and I'm sure the situation shiftes from country to country.

However, yes, I've had a crazy menstrual cycle because of Prozac. I'm now two years off my adverse reaction to Prozac though, and now my menstrual cycle is pretty much back to normal.

I think our diet effect or hormones a lot, so before taking new meds I think you should read up on PCO's and what diet can help with it. Once again tough I don't think you should trust your doctor too much.

Take care and good luck with everything on your journey!

Adverse reaction to Prozac Christmas 2011. In withdrawal for a year but didn't knew what was wrong with me, therefore made the same horrible mistake again on Christmas 2012 - adverse reaction to Prozac again. Been in withdrawal since. Physical symptoms (bad headaches, nausea, tinnitus, dizziness, strange sensations in my body, rashes, etc), has improved a lot, but mentally I'm in a constants fog and I have no motivation for life and everything life has to offer. Numb emotions. Also struggling with a 40 pounds weight gain.

Hi, I have not had a period on 2.5 months and the one before that was very light and had spotting month before.  I am not pregnant. Can panic attacks and more xanax than usual cause this? I was weaning and reinstating over the past several months.  My gyn said give it another month, but being a ocd worrier it is hard for me to let this lay. 

Always had anxiety but was not medicated until

November 2009 Severe Post partem depression/Panic attacks/OCD(intrusive thoughts)

gradually increased to 40MG of paxil-2 mg xanax per day until paxil kicked in

January 2010-coninued 40 MG paxil.  .25 xanax once a month a most

January 2011-decreased paxil 10% every 6 weeks or longer

January 2013 12mg-severe crash due to family crisis -updosed to 20mg

March 2013-begin wean again 10% every 6 week-weaned without any issues

Dec 2014-14mg. Severe crash due to a series of unfortunate events

Jan 2015-updose to 30 mg paxil and 1mg Xanax per day until stable

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello... you might want to post this question in the Benzo sub forum.  Thanks

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

As always, I jinxed myself! Got my period on time this month - day 27 - yesterday. Yeah!! But spent the night up with an ugly emotional soup of mostly horrible fear and of course cramps, back pain, etc.

I'm just trying to be grateful that the timing was good and the bladder irritation of the past month and half didn't act up before it began.

How are you all holding up? I keep you all in my wishes for healing.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Doing alright. I've been really emotional lately and crying a lot but I am pmsing again too. :/ hope you are feeling better greentrain!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it happened to me during a particularly bad period of withdrawal. It came back after I reinstated and stabilized. Prior to this episode of amenorrhea my cycles had been like clockwork. Withdrawal and the whole stress response can really do a number on us, our hormones, and our bodies.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dee1100,

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself here:

Introductions and updates

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

My periods were very heavy and long then became too long while taking effexor.. I learned I had an ovarian cyst (something listed as a side effect of effexor) had that removed it did not slow or stop my periods they continued as normal.  I was put on a hemophilac drug.. which I did not use much as it made me feel unwell.  This all took a couple of years.  

A few months before I quit effexor my period just stopped. I think 2 months then I quit cold turkey and my periods never returned.  I think I was too young for menopause based on what is the norm in my family however I cannot be sure.  I have read reports of Effexor causing early menopause but not that many so I think it rare again I can't know for sure. 

When I look up the norm for menopause I was under the normal age according to google. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Googling findings below.

Changes and irregularities in the menstrual cycle have occurred in women taking antidepressants. Fluoxetine, venlafaxine and bupropion have been implicated in menorrhagia---heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. Women taking bupropion report experiencing shortened menstrual cycle, menstrual spotting or amenorrhea---absence of menstruation. The precise connection between vaginal bleeding and antidepressants is unknown, but theories suggest fluctuation and modulation of hormones are responsible. Serotonin may affect the menstrual cycle by stimulating secretion of specific hormones, according to a 2002 paper on Venlafaxine-Associated Vaginal Bleeding written by professor Sunny A. Linnebur, Pharm.D., of the University of Colorado School of Pharmacy.

Infrequent, uncommon side effects for sertraline or Zoloft are menstrual disorder; dysmenorrheal or severe uterine pain; intermenstrual bleeding; vaginal hemorrhage; amenorrhea or absence of menstruation; leucorrhea or abnormal vaginal discharge; and rarely, menorrhagia or heavy bleeding.

Reproductive or menstrual-related side effects of escitalopram or Lexapro are infrequent and may include menstrual cramps, menstrual disorder, menorrhagia or heavy bleeding, spotting between periods and pelvic inflammation.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi, I am also experiencing some strange things with my period. It's comforting knowing others are also experiencing similar things! Like you, I am also an ocd worrier and ever since beginning my withdrawal off Luvox in September 2014 I've developed severe health anxiety.

Over the last 3-4 months my periods have become irregular and much lighter. I'm also experiencing spotting which I never use to have. I'm terrified of what's going on and think something is very wrong with my body but I try to remind myself that SSRI's are endocrine disrupters and withdrawing off them (I've been on mine for almost 8 years!) will affect my hormones. I'm only 25 so it's not like I'm going through perimenopause.

May I add that I experience more cramping and pelvic pain since withdrawing. I have never had this before. Only time I had cramping was the first day of my period.

Emotional stress, so in your case panic attacks, can definitely affect your menstrual cycle. And remember that withdrawing or changing doses (either up or down) is another stress on your body but on a physiological level.

Since I began reducing the sertraline in November 2014, I noticed my periods disappeared, then when I was told to stop the sertraline I started getting a period in the mornings but not throughout the day. Yesterday and today are the first full days of what I can call a period and I reinstated last Tuesday so assume my body has been out of whack and now one of the signs reinstating is helping.

50mg daily Zoloft (Sertraline) since March 2011 (For Panic Attacks/Anxiety)
25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy