SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

If I hear the word CBT one more time

compsports

I don't know if this is a comp sports issue or if others feel like me. Maybe because I am hearing about CBT for insomnia in the apnea world so much, I am getting tired of this word.

Please understand I don't doubt that it can be helpful. But I really think it is too simplistic in many ways at least regarding insomnia issues. Maybe in other areas, it isn't that way.

Your perspective?

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

I think there is some value to it for insomnia issues in that one of my problems in early withdrawal was getting tense at night, worrying about being able to sleep. However, there seemed to be a stronger biochemical component because as soon as I darkened my bedroom and wore a sleep mask I started to sleep well and feel much better. I'm sure that insomnia had a great deal more to do with high Cortisol levels than with my anxiety about insomnia.

I was a psychotherapist for many years. CBT works for some people and some conditions some of the time, but it isn't a cure-all. It apparently is at least, if not more, effective for depression than antidepressants, but I don't think anyone knows what causes depression (other than the obvious, such as job loss or the death of someone close, and I would call that grief rather than depression) or why it seems to go away by itself. I remember being told early on in my career at a state mental institution that 1/3 of the patients never get better, 1/3 get better but relapse, and 1/3 get better and stay better WITH OR WITHOUT TREATMENT.

With all the recent publicity about the uselessness of antidepressants and the superiority of psychotherapy, I'm not surprised that CBT is the latest 'therapuetic fad' - and there is such a phenomenon. A particular treatment appears to work for many people (such as Lipitor) and the next thing you know, it's being prescribed for everybody.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I don't know if this is a comp sports issue or if others feel like me. Maybe because I am hearing about CBT for insomnia in the apnea world so much, I am getting tired of this word.

Please understand I don't doubt that it can be helpful. But I really think it is too simplistic in many ways at least regarding insomnia issues. Maybe in other areas, it isn't that way.

Your perspective?

CS

Agree 100%. It's another way to invalidate feelings FOR ME. No doubt I 'catastrophize' etc., but I think that it may be a way that I've come to deal with issues I haven't addressed earlier. Withdrawal has been bringing up a boatload of memories and emotions (pre-drug) that I'm seeing differently now.

CBT has always felt vaguely wrong. I bury feelings naturally on my own which, I feel, is what has contributed to my 'depression' along the way.

Schuyler posted great info on CBT vs. Psychodynamic Therapy recently.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2042-cbt-vs-psychodynamic-pros-and-cons/

CBT also fits well into managed care cost containment.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Ya know, if your hormones are signaling 'stay awake' with enough potency, CBT, IMO, won't help much...for a long time anyway.

When I was in jail on Xmas I was in the tank with a teenage kid clearly on methamphetamine. He, like me, didn't sleep that night. He probably hadn't slept in a couple nights. There were neuro chemical reasons for his wakefulness and CBT, meditation, warm milk, warm bath...try whatever...he was not gonna be sleeping. I, having been deprived on my nightly benzo dose and suffering twitching, rapd heartbeat, my highest ever measured bp, etcetcetc -- I wasn't sleeping that night either.

I like CBT but I like it in place of medications. So in my state, it is a looong slog at best. I think, as a person who ended here due to anxiety, mention it of frustration and hope that maybe parents will learn of it and steer clear of benzos, ADs and other terribly ineffective/risky medications for anxiety issues.

Sorry comp. I hope your sleep gets on track...

Alex

PS -- other folks seem to have had poor experiences with CBT therapy. When I hear of the way it is conducted, its entirely different from the program that I have used with my LPC. Mine is not a time limited thing and, actually, I dont need a therapist at all. I can do therapy any time for free. But it's too late for me, because of everything my brains been through and still must go through, which CBT doesn't seem to touch.

I don't know of anything of CBT except for anxiety problems, specifically social anxiety. However, I've talked with research clinicians and seen overviews of their own data and, after my own experience, concluded there is no preferable treatment. And the risk is minuscule relatively -- wasted time. However, for anything but social anxiety I have no opinion on CBT.

Anyway, like I said comp, I really hope things get better..

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thank you all for responding.

Unfortunately, due to lack of sleep (human error that I can't blame on cpap), I am unable to offer great responses. But I wanted to express my appreciation before this thread got too old.

Perhaps in a few days, I will come back and offer some more thoughts.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling.

Please believe it will get better, comp. I know you are doing everything you can do and how frustrating it must be.

Know you have friends here.

best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman