3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Just to add on, when I woke up at 3am, I took .3 mg of melatonin and it worked! That's a plus for me...in the past, I feel like it energized me versus how it worked well for me prior to my CNS destabilizing. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Hi moderators @Shep or @Altostrata

Welp, I've fallen into a new fresh h*ll.... I was supposed to get my period around the 11th, and I got the brown mucus. I'm 44, so I'm sure I've entered peri-menopause. 

I thought my sleep was coming in pretty well, if anything, I thought that fatigue had ruled me over...I'd been able to sleep mostly soundly through the night AND through the day when given the opportunity, which I was definitely taking on winter break. 

Yesterday, when I tried to nap, I woke up wide awake- not that bolting awake, but just...awake. Whereas for weeks, I would just nap and wake up and feel groggy and nap some more. 

Then, when getting ready for bed last night (and reading too many threads on SA) I started to feel my heart beating more pronounced (this never happens) and got into bed. I didn't have that groggy feeling in bed and had some of the worst insomnia I've had since October. I flitted in and out of sleep.  I did try to take another .3 melatonin early on hoping it would combat it.  Also, I called in and stayed in bed, and even though I did my usual flitting in and out of sleep until 3pm like I do on days that I stay in bed, I could still feel that lack of grogginess and instead felt underlying anxiety. This is totally new to me. 

As I write this, I have anxiety, and again, I'm usually pretty symptom free during this time of the day.

Do you think the reason for the change is

1. peri-menopause

2. results from taking melatonin last Thursday

3. random

I just had such a regular cycle through December until now (I'm now 5 months off). So many things had changed that it feels foreign to me. 

Do you think that being in peri-menopause will inhibit my healing? I asked my mom how hers went- she got hot flashes, but did not get anxiety or insomnia when she went through it. I did feel some heat flashes that were more "gentle" than the ones I get from WD. A more gentle coursing down my back .

I will go visit the thread on menopause again, but I don't remember people talking about whether or not it was inhibiting their healing.

Thanks for your time,

Armorall

• Administrator

Probably not melatonin. Do you get insomnia around your period? This used to happen to me.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No, I'm usually tired and sleep "ok" around my period (and I was this time leading up to my "period")

• Administrator

What is your usual sleep pattern? What times do you go to bed and get up?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Go to bed at 11pm (I stopped going to bed early and stopped avoiding screen time before bed once I started sleeping through the night and it didn't seem to make a difference) 

Get up at 7am. 

I'd gotten sloppy about it, though. I went to bed last night at 12:30am and had a ton of screen time beforehand. 

I just had a lot of underlying fatigue, I think through December until now. It's like a switch turned on ever since yesterday at 3pm...it's nice not to have the lethargy and I'm feeling normal now, but the anxiety before bed and getting out of bed after an afternoon nap was a bit alarming- wasn't usual. What I like about the lethargy is the feeling of being relaxed, too. I get worried with the anxiety that I'm going to wear out my adrenals and heart. 

• Administrator

You're very sensitive to screen time and lack of sleep. I went through this for a period. Had to cut back on screen time before bed.

Ok thanks Alto. 

Welp, I went to bed around 11:30pm (knowing I wouldn't fall asleep any earlier since I officially woke up at 3pm yesterday) and probably fell asleep at 2am. Woke at 7am. Good news is, the 5 hours of sleep were "ok", I think I only turned once in the duration of time. Hopefully my sleep will start to improve again. 

@Altostrata

I took a nap for two hours. In the process, felt some pulsating pain around my urinary tract. Urinated twice in two hours while sleeping (not in bed, got up and went to the BR). Am I having a fake UTI? I read somewhere about flare-ups from @coldturkmama but also read about fake and real UTIs. Which is more probable? I really hope it's not the frequent urination thing. Took some alka seltzer- used to be a home remedy where you can catch the UTI before it gets full force. Hopefully it works. 

Took an at-home UTI test. Came up negative. Will test tomorrow if I feel the same. Alka-seltzer made me feel better...but I hope I don't have that frequent urination urge thing.  

Hi  @Altostrata @Junglechicken

I JUST started peri-menopause...now I think I am about to enter overactive bladder territory and nocturia. How long did it last for you? Was it initiated just because of menopause?

Thanks,

Armorall

I already have insomnia, this is the dumps!

• Administrator

It sounds like you have a mild UTI, which can cause frequent urination. You might drink lots of water with vitamin C, that can help wash it out.

Naps in the afternoon may affect your ability to sleep at night. Regular hours of sleep and waking, with low light in the evening, reinforce sleep.

5 hours sleep isn't too bad.

@Altostrata  What happened last night is that I went to bed at 10:30pm- had to urinate at 11:30pm, then again at 1:30am. I was like "yeah great, I have nocturia". Then, it stopped and I was able to sleep until my 7am alarm. 

Well, I left work today two hours early because I was so fatigued from the field trip. 

Came home and napped (yes, you said not to do this, I'm just so wiped though).

While napping, I had to pee an hour later, then another hour after that. I also feel something like pain in that area.

So, I've concluded that I only get frequent urges to pee when napping, and for whatever reason, (Hopefully) it settles down after that and doesn't bother me through the whole night. I wasn't in the situation where the urge to pee takes me to the bathroom with just a few drops.  I did wake up this morning feeling  incredibly dehydrated, but yes, as far as my waking hours go, I didn't have the urge to pee then.

I pray it doesn't keep waking me up through the night and getting worse.  So...perimenopause or withdrawal? Does it matter? 

• Administrator

I don't know. You might see a urologist.

Ok. I'll keep going and then see about that if I have to. I'm particularly feeling regret over the road that led me to pills today. Mainly because the road that got me here was imagined- I had the most perfect life AND I actually advocated for no drugs in the hospital.

I'm afraid to journal to myself about it as therapy because reading over it might frustrate me. But, I wonder if I'm suffering by not writing about it (but bothering my husband with the story every day). 

Well, went to sleep last night, slept through the night without getting woken up even once to pee, however, had very light sleep and wondering if I never fell deep enough to stimulate the "peeing" response. Hope it's just gone for good. Hope my sleep continues to improve. 

@Shep  @Altostrata  Came home from work last night, slept for 2 hours (nap), woke up from 7:45pm-11pm, went back down at 11pm and actually slept until a little bit before the 7am alarm (body started waking up before then). Even though I got so much sleep, I opted for sleeping for an hour through my prep period AND skipping lunch in order to sleep for a half hour at work. So, good news is that my insomnia hasn't really been kicking in lately, but I don't think my sleep at night is particularly restorative or else I wouldn't feel the need to sleep at work. Or maybe I just have fatigue even if my sleep is restorative.  I have minimal anxiety pangs (only really have them now if I induce them-like arguing with my husband or sometimes while I'm teaching, or wake up from a nap), but have exchanged them for feeling fatigued.   I'm in a window now, so that's good. I rarely ever have full-day windows anymore, just a block of hours in the evening and/or during the day. Getting worse or better?

Also, from reading other threads- can people get hypothyroidism as a result of withdrawal???

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Armorall said:

Getting worse or better?

I would say normal ups and downs in WD, symptoms changent, others disappearing  😉

You're six months out of drugs : it sounds like you are doing Well, it Will keep on improving !

Wish you continued healing ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Are you hypothyroid?

Your habit of napping may be interfering with your nighttime sleep. How much caffeine do you ingest every day?

@Altostrata No I don't have a hypothyroid condition. I was wondering if some people obtain one as a result of withdrawal. And I have a fatigue issue now, so wondering it even more!

I can't drink caffeine- not even decaf- sad, because I loved coffee and it was probably what kept my mood up my whole life, haha. 

I took decaf once and it gave me the worst insomnia. I haven't had any caffeine otherwise since September. If I could successfully drink coffee, I wouldn't be so worried about keeping my job, I wish I wish I wish. 

So, you think I would have deeper sleep at night if I didn't nap after work? It's just rough, I am super wiped these days when I get home from work, and I CAN go to sleep at night even with the nap. Just doesn't feel restorative. 

@Erell thanks for the reassurance! I just got done telling someone that people don't comment on other people's thread necessarily unless they've made some other connection via PM or what have you (I'm not complaining about that, I don't crave it, I'm one to just check in with the moderators on my condition) so it's funny that you happen to drop by.  Thank you so much for your reassurance again- if it looks like I'm improving, I'll take it!

• Administrator

Yes, you would have deeper sleep at night if you consolidated your sleep pattern.

You may still be recovering from effects of the drugs.

33 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, you would have deeper sleep at night if you consolidated your sleep pattern.

You may still be recovering from effects of the drugs.

@Altostrata Ok, I will try to stay awake until bedtime. It's going to be rough without coffee. 

What do you mean I might still be recovering from the effects of the drugs? Meaning I might still be recovering from the side effects of the drugs versus just being in withdrawal? 

Thanks Alto

• Administrator

No, the drugs leave an impression, like in a memory foam mattress, and it can take some time to smooth out.

@Altostrata  meaning withdrawal? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out if there's one process or two processes that I'm having to go through ...is there something else I have to recover from first, then recover from withdrawal. I'm sorry if I seem dense. 

Nevermind- I see that it is two separate things: effects from the drugs versus recovering from the absence of drugs. 

Well, it is true what I suspected. I can't have an orgasm and still be able to sleep at night. It totally affects it- heat rolls, wakefulness. I've never tried early in the day, but anything after 5pm is clearly a no-no. Anyone else have this experience?

Well, my period came back (9 days after the brown mucus). And, I'm having a much different feeling around sleeping in bed. I called in again today after crappy sleep last night. During the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, I could sleep in until 5-7pm if I wanted to. Now, I'm on "alert" after 1pm if I stay in bed.  I know, I know I need to get on a better schedule. I am trying for this week. It's just too tempting to avoid life and sleep. I used to be so much, it's confronting to wake up and then remember that my life is severely altered. 

Now I'm having this thing where my vein by my left temple keeps pulsating. Don't know what that's about. I switched to a higher end fish oil- Dr. Mercola's Krill oil. Could that be the reason? I have more palpitations at night it seems, too. 

@Altostrata do you think that perimenopause will delay my healing? It will continue to destabilize my CNS right? I asked my mom and she said she only got hot flashes and the erratic period schedule- no anxiety, no insomnia. 

• Administrator

Please look in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for our discussions about menopause.

@Altostrata I'm wondering if I started peri a few months before I started taking drugs and that's what made me go through withdrawal. Unfortunately, I don't think I can take that estrogen patch that you took. Hormonal change is a part of what got me here (anxiety from hormonal change of breastfeeding, I didn't know it at the time). I did horribly even on the lowest dose birth control pill (totally manic), on the IUD (most women lose their periods, I had mine for 6 months straight). 

I hope it affects me minimally, I can't believe perimenopause has already come in (unless I'm just having erratic bleeding from body stressors). I've never had brown mucus before though. 

Does peri-menopause typically start at only age 44?  

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

Is there anyone who has reported having weird periods just because of WD and not menopause? I was always like clockwork. 

@Superwoman well, the range is supposed to be 45-55. It is on the younger side of things, so I am hoping it's not peri. 

They say your best indicators are your mom's history. My mom started at 49 and my maternal grandmother started at 52. 

Well, I looked up "menstrual cycle" in this forum and saw a few, not many, reports of people who say they've had weird cycles because of WD. Fingers crossed. It's just my bleeding definitely mimics what my mom went through- some mucus, then heavier bleeding further into the month. Had hot flashes that didn't seem like the WD ones, but who knows?

Lost my ability to nap deeply. Heavy day on my off-cycle period. Usually when I have a crappy night of sleep, I have a window-y day the next day. Not true of today. More anxiety, tiredness and a nap (yeah, I was still too tired to try to stay awake after work) where I wasn't getting jolted awake necessarily, more like getting "slammed" (like I hear the sound of a truck going over a big bump) and then feeling cold. I live in a very quiet neighborhood, so I know it wasn't an external sound. Hope I feel better once the period thing stops. Slight butterfly stomach type of feeling.  Oh ha, I forgot that I ate half a cookie (homemade by mom, couldn't resist). That probably didn't help....maybe more the culprit than I realize.