drugged

Massage therapy

drugged

Wondering if anyone here has used massage therapy as part of their general self-care toolkit while tapering. 

When I was running a lot I went for a trigger point massage every couple of weeks, sometimes just Swedish massage for relaxation.  I felt it really helped the blood circulation in the capillaries of my muscles and the trigger point work definitely helped with pain over time.  I haven't been able to get back to getting a regular massage as I used to know them, with deep pressure, but I found a masseuse here that I'm going to try only I'll specify less pressure.  

Even so, I know from experience that, when I haven't been for a long while, I can feel quite ill for 2 - 3 days after the first few treatments.  Not necessarily muscle pain though there's some of that but more of a just feeling sick.  My hypothesis is that this is from toxins being moved out of the muscle tissues and into the blood and lymph.  Anyway I am definitely full of toxic chemicals and I was thinking that maybe the manual manipulation might help spur a bit of neuronal growth and remodeling in the periphery, also.  Just thinking here.

I have an appointment this Thursday and I know I'll feel sick through Friday, maybe Saturday.  To get full benefit I'll have to get a massage once every couple of weeks until I stop feeling sick afterward.  That's what previous experience tells me ...

Rhiannon

I've been getting and giving massage my whole life and have found it to be an absolutely crucial part of my toolkit. I don't think I ever had the reaction of feeling sick afterwards though.

When I'm dealing with WD I avoid deep work. For the first five years or so after I started tapering I avoided deep work completely, including trigger point therapy. You can usually find someone who will do more nurturing and gentle work. (You may want to try a few different therapists, there are a lot of them around nowadays.) In withdrawal and tapering, things that make you feel sick are probably not helpful. I know we have that whole notion of "no pain no gain" but in psych med withdrawal that turns out to be the opposite of the truth. Our systems need consistency, gentleness, low stimulation and nurturing.

When you're stronger and less drugged you can take on more challenges.

Like anything else, start small and gentle and see how your body reacts and then work up, IMO.

All of this, by the way, is just my experience and my own opinion. I don't feel bad being forceful about it though because you definitely strike me as someone who is not going to follow advice that doesn't suit her. (I'm kind of the same way, you can't tell me anything, I'm going to find out for myself. I like to say I learn best by the "2 x 4 upside the  head" method.)

hayduke

Been getting regular or semi-regular remedial massage for must be ten years or so now.  Not always terribly comfortable, but the process has always paid back later.

Very helpful in the whole healing process, including well before WDs.  The first masseur was a bit of a hippy and understood that I was looking to flush out traumas stored as body tension.  This worked well for me and I would follow up some sessions with meditation.  Meditation at other times would also bring up things to be addressed and eventually the real problematic trauma started to emerge, so I found helpful clinical psychologists and we were able to treat that effectively with EMDR.

So yes, massage has definitely been a big help for me.  I still get remedial massages but less often now.  Yoga helps a lot too.

Cheers