cathnz: tapering off Remeron / mirtazapine

cathnz

• Moderator Emeritus

From what you have written I think you have already made the connection to stress.  And this last 2 to 2.5 years has been more stressful than normal for most people.

Q:  Do you do any relaxation exercises/techniques?  These can help you to minimise the stress on your body.  Even if you are stressed, if you do it regularly it can help to keep the stress at a lower level and not build up too high.  And what I have found is that it has become more second nature and I notice when I am getting stressed earlier than I used to which then also keeps it lower even more.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, ChessieCat said:

From what you have written I think you have already made the connection to stress.  And this last 2 to 2.5 years has been more stressful than normal for most people.

Q:  Do you do any relaxation exercises/techniques?  These can help you to minimise the stress on your body.  Even if you are stressed, if you do it regularly it can help to keep the stress at a lower level and not build up too high.  And what I have found is that it has become more second nature and I notice when I am getting stressed earlier than I used to which then also keeps it lower even more.

Thanks for your reply @ChessieCat. I've been trying to do relaxation but the akathisia makes that so hard. And in the last couple of months my brain has begun to feel like it is on fire. Burning intensely to the point I feel like it's in flames. I feel like I'm losing my mind 😭 Surely this new development 3 years out can't be wd?! It's so so intense... an absolute acute feeling. I'm so scared it's my med become toxic (I've been trying to stabilise on it for 3 years but getting sicker now). Beginning a taper or coming off isn't an option for me right now, I'm far far too unstable and only just keeping myself out of the psych ward or from taking my life. My mother's alzheimers is so so stressful on me. This is dire. I don't know what to do. Should I attempt a cross taper to something else?! I've been vehemently refusing anymore meds for 3 years but it's got so so bad. My son just wants his mum better, he's constantly in tears 💔

Please, can someone help me. I feel like I'm not going to make it. 

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @cathnz

I am very sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this turmoil.  You were very brave to remain patient while waiting for stabilisation. 

I know you say you don't feel ready to touch your dose, but reading your story makes me think it's an option to consider, because there is a possibility that you are suffering from side effects from mirtazapine.

It looks like your switch from paroxetine to mirtazapine in 2019 didn't work out, and according to your signature the akathisia appeared when you reached 45mg. The burning sensation in the brain also makes me think of a possible adverse reaction. Also the fact that you felt a little relief after dropping to 30mg.

Getting sicker after holding for three years leads me to believe that it may be time to consider a gradual taper from mirtazapine.

I know how terrifying this idea can be, and how hard it is to face the fear of making a bad situation worse. Feeling trapped with a molecule that doesn't help us while fearing to go down can feel quite claustrophobic. I know that well.

When I started to lower my dose of prozac, after a failed switch from paroxetine, I was terrified of making things worse. 

In order to gradually regain confidence, I decided not to shake myself and to undertake very small reductions, which may seem ridiculous to outsiders, but which allow me to learn to calmly discover how my body reacts. At the beginning, I was doing 1% drops, sometimes with two months between each drop. I was taking it slowly, and still am  ;)

My latest drop is around 3%: I'm starting to gain confidence in my ability to gradually lower my dose, having found that my small drops were not causing any change, and then that as my Prozac dose decreases the agitation and intrusive thoughts gradually decrease a bit as well.

I believe there is a possibility that you may feel relief as your dose of mirtazapine decreases.

How do you feel about making a very small drop, maybe 1%, to see how your body reacts? 

What form of mirtazapine do you take?

I don't know if you remember, we had a little exchange with Ten0275, whose story reminds me a bit of yours : https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24012-ten0275-im-dave-and-if-i-am-capable-of-healing-each-of-you-are-please-hang-in-there/?do=findComment&comment=530540

Hang in there dear @cathnz, there is always a way out.

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi @cathnz:  I am so very sorry for everything you've been through and are going through.  You have shown such tenacity holding and persisting whilst feeling so unwell and dealing with such painful personal struggles.  I am hopeful that @Erell's story is of comfort of a switch that didn't cover for the original drug and that she is noticing improvements (so wonderful to hear, Erell!!) as she tapers.  It seems you are in the same boat as she is so I am hopeful you would notice improvements too if you start very slowly tapering mirtazapine.

In reading your thread you mentioned when under stress you experience anxiety and then depression whilst being on the drug - is this your experience of "poop out"?  I am curious as this is what has happened to me over and over again. I would hit a period of stress, go through anxiety and then fall into a deep depression (with anxiety still present as well) that won't lift.  I am trying to taper off of citalopram whilst feeling this way as I want to see if I can get out of this loop that keeps happening.  

Anyway, I relate to much that you have written and really feel for your situation.  I think you are very brave and courageous. I am rooting for you!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

11 hours ago, Erell said:

Hello @cathnz

I am very sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this turmoil.  You were very brave to remain patient while waiting for stabilisation. 

I know you say you don't feel ready to touch your dose, but reading your story makes me think it's an option to consider, because there is a possibility that you are suffering from side effects from mirtazapine.

It looks like your switch from paroxetine to mirtazapine in 2019 didn't work out, and according to your signature the akathisia appeared when you reached 45mg. The burning sensation in the brain also makes me think of a possible adverse reaction. Also the fact that you felt a little relief after dropping to 30mg.

Getting sicker after holding for three years leads me to believe that it may be time to consider a gradual taper from mirtazapine.

I know how terrifying this idea can be, and how hard it is to face the fear of making a bad situation worse. Feeling trapped with a molecule that doesn't help us while fearing to go down can feel quite claustrophobic. I know that well.

When I started to lower my dose of prozac, after a failed switch from paroxetine, I was terrified of making things worse. 

In order to gradually regain confidence, I decided not to shake myself and to undertake very small reductions, which may seem ridiculous to outsiders, but which allow me to learn to calmly discover how my body reacts. At the beginning, I was doing 1% drops, sometimes with two months between each drop. I was taking it slowly, and still am  ;)

My latest drop is around 3%: I'm starting to gain confidence in my ability to gradually lower my dose, having found that my small drops were not causing any change, and then that as my Prozac dose decreases the agitation and intrusive thoughts gradually decrease a bit as well.

I believe there is a possibility that you may feel relief as your dose of mirtazapine decreases.

How do you feel about making a very small drop, maybe 1%, to see how your body reacts? 

I don't know if you remember, we had a little exchange with Ten0275, whose story reminds me a bit of yours : https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24012-ten0275-im-dave-and-if-i-am-capable-of-healing-each-of-you-are-please-hang-in-there/?do=findComment&comment=530540

@Erell thank you. I know you're right but I'm scared beyond belief. I have no support in this and my brain capacity is so low that I'm not sure I can make the mixture correctly (we don't have liquid in my country and I cant afford to compound it). My brain can't get around working out percentages and how to make it safely.

I'm also in the middle of a brand switch which has disrupted me more so not sure if I should let the dust settle. I also can't help but think I still want to try to bridge to something else even though it went badly for you. I felt awful even at a lower side (15mg instead of the 30 I'm on now) so don't even think going lower will help. 

I've also discovered I have dangerously low b12 and iron, which can cause many nuero symptoms so I wonder if I need to address that to get to normal levels so my baseline under the meds is better. 

God Erell, I'm so so so scared. I feel like I'm developing psychosis, my thinking is skewed. I don't know if I'll make it through this 😭

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

1 hour ago, wantrelief said:

Hi @cathnz:  I am so very sorry for everything you've been through and are going through.  You have shown such tenacity holding and persisting whilst feeling so unwell and dealing with such painful personal struggles.  I am hopeful that @Erell's story is of comfort of a switch that didn't cover for the original drug and that she is noticing improvements (so wonderful to hear, Erell!!) as she tapers.  It seems you are in the same boat as she is so I am hopeful you would notice improvements too if you start very slowly tapering mirtazapine.

In reading your thread you mentioned when under stress you experience anxiety and then depression whilst being on the drug - is this your experience of "poop out"?  I am curious as this is what has happened to me over and over again. I would hit a period of stress, go through anxiety and then fall into a deep depression (with anxiety still present as well) that won't lift.  I am trying to taper off of citalopram whilst feeling this way as I want to see if I can get out of this loop that keeps happening.  

Anyway, I relate to much that you have written and really feel for your situation.  I think you are very brave and courageous. I am rooting for you!

@wantrelief yes that's definitely been my experience re poop out over the years too.

I'm not brave. I'm an absolute coward. For 3 years I've known I don't feel right, but I've been too terrified to do anything about it. If I had of, I might not be this sick now. I'm so so mad at myself. I'm an absolute coward. Even now, knowing how sick I am, I STILL don't think I can taper. I think I've resigned myself to the fact ill prob just die like this 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Untitled document.docx

Oh @cathnz you are the exact opposite of a coward.  My goodness you've held on for three years feeling awful and declining meds all whilst dealing with very stressful and difficult life situations.  Please don't be mad at yourself....you didn't do anything wrong. In my experience our withdrawal brains make us feel like it is our fault (at least mine does so I write this for myself as much as for you).  I know how scary this all is but please don't give up. We don't know the future even if our brains like to tell us we do.  I am thinking of you and sending you lots of love.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

1 hour ago, cathnz said:

yes that's definitely been my experience re poop out over the years too.

I forgot to thank you for sharing this with me.....it is really helpful to know you have had the same pattern with stress setting it off.  🙏  

On 7/28/2022 at 7:10 AM, cathnz said:

Thanks for your reply @ChessieCat. I've been trying to do relaxation but the akathisia makes that so hard. And in the last couple of months my brain has begun to feel like it is on fire. Burning intensely to the point I feel like it's in flames. I feel like I'm losing my mind 😭 Surely this new development 3 years out can't be wd?! It's so so intense... an absolute acute feeling. I'm so scared it's my med become toxic (I've been trying to stabilise on it for 3 years but getting sicker now). Beginning a taper or coming off isn't an option for me right now, I'm far far too unstable and only just keeping myself out of the psych ward or from taking my life. My mother's alzheimers is so so stressful on me. This is dire. I don't know what to do. Should I attempt a cross taper to something else?! I've been vehemently refusing anymore meds for 3 years but it's got so so bad. My son just wants his mum better, he's constantly in tears 💔

Please, can someone help me. I feel like I'm not going to make it. 

Please can an admin help me? Each day the burning in my brain is getting worse. I believe the Mirt is now nuetotoxic for me. From the day I was put on it 3 years ago I knew it didn't feel right, and akathisia began. I held tight thinking it was paxil wd, but here I am 3 years later at rock bottom and so so so sick. My brain burns constantly for the last few months. Akathisia worse. I don't know if I can hold on through years of a slow taper if this is an adverse reaction. I want to ct or cut my dose in half but I know that's not safe. Maybe I need to cross taper to something other than mirt, then do a slow taper off whatever I go onto (although I don't know what... I've been on paxil, Lexapro, fluoxitine... was never this sick on paxil and Lexapro, but suicidal on fluoxitine... although not as suicidal as I am now). Please can someone guide me. 

I also have a severe B12, b9 and iron deficiency. I haven't treated in fear of using supplements, but the low b12 is causing neuropathy. It needs fixing. Without b12 I understand our whole body finds it difficult to detox effectively which may explain why the mirt has built up in my system and made me so sick now. I can't hold off treating b12 deficiency any more... have been trying to address through diet, but not absorbing it. 

Treating b12 and tapering at same time not a good idea I know, but I'm in crisis coupled with nerve damage. 

Please can someone help. In not sure who the  right moderators are to tag . 

@Altostrata @ChessieCat @brassmonkey @Shep @Erell @Rosetta 

Untitled document.docx

Hi @cathnz

Im so sorry to hear you are in crisis. The most informative about tapering off meds would be Altostrata.

Then Brassmonkey . as they have many years on this site helping members taper safely. 

As you have seen no improvements and in fact have never felt well since starting on Mirt, it could be a reaction your body is having to it that is now getting progressively worse. 
sometimes when we have tried different meds our body will react badly to starting another. In which case we need to taper off everything and let our bodies heal. 

i know you  say you couldn’t face the length of a slow taper because of how you feel. But you may find if Mirt is your problem, then you may start to improve as you go lower. 
Tapering  does not always lead to symptoms worsening . Everyone is so different. 

You will find your way out of this safely, as so many of us do in the end. 

My thoughts are with you. 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, cathnz said:

I also have a severe B12, b9 and iron deficiency. I haven't treated in fear of using supplements, but the low b12 is causing neuropathy.

How did you find this out?

If you need B12, you might start with a tiny chip of a 1000mcg sublingual B12 tablet, gradually building up to a full tablet over a month or two. Same with the other vitamins.

If you have serious vitamin deficiencies, it's important to address them. Are you eating a healthy diet? Are you a vegan? Vegans MUST supplement B12.

What drugs are you taking now, at what times o'clock, with their dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 8/1/2022 at 5:16 AM, Longroadhome said:

Hi @cathnz

Im so sorry to hear you are in crisis. The most informative about tapering off meds would be Altostrata.

Then Brassmonkey . as they have many years on this site helping members taper safely. 

As you have seen no improvements and in fact have never felt well since starting on Mirt, it could be a reaction your body is having to it that is now getting progressively worse. 
sometimes when we have tried different meds our body will react badly to starting another. In which case we need to taper off everything and let our bodies heal. 

i know you  say you couldn’t face the length of a slow taper because of how you feel. But you may find if Mirt is your problem, then you may start to improve as you go lower. 
Tapering  does not always lead to symptoms worsening . Everyone is so different. 

You will find your way out of this safely, as so many of us do in the end. 

My thoughts are with you. 

Thank you for your words @LongroadhomeI really appreciate them. Yes, I'm terrified of a taper given how in turmoil my life is... not just the akathisia, but the stress of my mums alzheimer's. I wanted to avoid a taper while deep in that, but I guess life has other plans for me. I'm really not sure I'm strong enough to face withdrawal and the stress and grief 😔 I can only pray I'm lucky to be one of the ones who benefits from decreasing, although I still felt the akathisia on  just 15mg when they started me on it 3 years ago (I'm now on 30) 😢

Untitled document.docx

On 8/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, Altostrata said:

How did you find this out?

If you need B12, you might start with a tiny chip of a 1000mcg sublingual B12 tablet, gradually building up to a full tablet over a month or two. Same with the other vitamins.

If you have serious vitamin deficiencies, it's important to address them. Are you eating a healthy diet? Are you a vegan? Vegans MUST supplement B12.

Thank you for your reply @Altostrata

How did I find out - well my serum b12 was 100, but more tellingly my methylmalonate was literally off the charts (which is a better indicator of active b12 being utilised by cells, not just floating around in blood). And also very high homocysteine, also pointing to that. So 3 tests, also coupled with many b12 deficiency symptoms (which I had put all down to wd as many overlap). But when the results were infront of me in black and white I couldn't ignore it, esp with the nerve issues. Also my mother and son have low b12 (despite healthy diets as do I), so have just had an intrinsic factor test done to see if potentially PA (which could be genetic). 

I have supplemented orally in the past with various forms, but to very little effect. Which could point to an absorption issue. If that was the case (and in the case of PA), I would need to inject. I would obviously start with minute amounts of the injection and work up to tolerate. 

The iron and folate... also shown through blood tests. 

Blood tests also showed a severe selenium deficiency, maybe contributing to why I can't detox the meds properly and so they've accumulated? 

I eat a very healthy diet... no processed foods. Comprised of meats, fish, vegetables and fruit. Alot of high b12 foods. Which is also perhaps pointing towards an absorbtion issue. 

Only supplement I am taking is a 1/4 pill of quercetin to try and help eliviate histamine issues I seem to have developed. 

I also take epsom salt baths every second day to get magnesium. 

The only med I take is 30mg of Mirtazapine at 9pm each night. I have symptoms 24/7 (not exaggerating), so they don't seem tied in to near my dosing. They don't have any pattern of waxing and waning  so I can't determine any triggers. 

The only consistent thing is stress (my mother has alzheimer's). I had been trying to avoid tapering yet due to less than ideal circumstances around that, but my body seems to have other plans for me. I seriously don't know how I'll taper through this stress period. I keep wondering if it is infact the Mirtazapine making me unwell (which I think it is) am I better to switch to something else (in the hope being off the mirt quickly will help), and then taper off the replacement med more slowly and safely. I honestly believe the mirt is a problem... from my first dose I felt wrong on it, but I kept thinking it was wd from the paxil (and then benzos). When I had a period of things being bad and but managable (just) I thought maybe I was wrong (I did have about a year where while it was bad, it was nowhere near this bad, but possibly because I could distract more at that time) .  But the fact its now got worse over time is concerning. I will say, it seems to have got worse (and the brain burning started) about 6 weeks after having covid back in April. 

I have also found a potential mold issue at home, so that could potentially have exacerbated things. 

All I know is my legs buzz constantly and now my brain is ON FIRE every second!!!! 

It's all very confusing. I have spent years agonising over what to do 😭 I have had many scenarios play over in my mind, like... 

-Was this caused by paxil wd 3 years ago, and after 6 months on the mirt, the mirt began to cover the worst of the paxil wd, until now because maybe I've hit mirtazapine tolerance and Paxil wd more prevalent now (although I would have expected to feel initial improvement on mirt if that was case, and there wasn't until at least 6 months, and even then it was very very minimal). 

-is this an adverse reaction to mirt that I felt from day 1 (but thought it was paxil wd), that had progressivly got worse over the years the longer I'm on it. But that wouldn't explain the miniscule improvement I had for a while (although I'm not sure it was improvement as such... I was just able to function through it and distract a bit better). 

-have I hit tolerance on the mirt and am now in wd from that too

- or was the mirt always a problem, coupled with paxil wd, and now inflammation from having covid and possibly mold (and b12 deficiency). 

Ugh. I'm so confused. And like a chess game I've been thinking really carefully about my next move, but I'm still none the wiser. I wanted to address my deficiencies before a taper (because I thought it would be easier now than in wd), but now feel n like I need to get off mirt asap of its toxic to me. Is there any chance changing over could help and then tapering that? But then, what to (been through many), and a straight switch over could result in the same situation as this (like the paxil to mirt switch). 

Sorry, so many things running through my head. 

Untitled document.docx

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/1/2022 at 8:41 AM, Altostrata said:

Please answer Alto's question.  Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

52 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please answer Alto's question.  Thank you.

I did. Sorry, it must have got lost in the rest of the body of text. 

1 x 30mg Mirt at 9pm

Untitled document.docx

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, cathnz said:

I did. Sorry, it must have got lost in the rest of the body of text. 

1 x 30mg Mirt at 9pm

Thank you.  Yes I can see it now but it was hard to see.

When responding to staff, please be sure the make it clear.  Instead of including it in a long post I would suggest that you make it as a separate post so that the staff, who do a lot of reading, don't have to read through trying to find the information.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Thank you.  Yes I can see it now but it was hard to see.

When responding to staff, please be sure the make it clear.  Instead of including it in a long post I would suggest that you make it as a separate post so that the staff, who do a lot of reading, don't have to read through trying to find the information.

@ChessieCatSorry. Altostrata has asked me a few questions so I answered them all to the best and clearest of my ability. My apologies. 

Untitled document.docx

On 7/29/2022 at 6:49 PM, Erell said:

Hello @cathnz

@Erellyou know the success stories inside out... can you point me in the direction of someone that had extreme neurotoxicity and grain burning while on a med, but got off and headed? 

Untitled document.docx

• Administrator

To get around a possible absorption issue, you can take a tiny chip of a SUBLINGUAL B12 tablet or ORAL LIQUID, gradually build up to 1000mcg per day. B12 is stored in your liver, if depleted, may take some time to replenish. 

You can address other vitamin and nutrition deficiencies similarly.

Real vitamin B deficiencies can produce the symptoms you have described.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

To get around a possible absorption issue, you can take a tiny chip of a SUBLINGUAL B12 tablet or ORAL LIQUID, gradually build up to 1000mcg per day. B12 is stored in your liver, if depleted, may take some time to replenish. 

You can address other vitamin and nutrition deficiencies similarly.

Real vitamin B deficiencies can produce the symptoms you have described.

Thank you @Altostrata.

I do believe this is a combination of things. I think I've come to the realisation that I need to begin mirtazapine taper asap as it is becoming toxic to me. 

Will it be safe to start addressing deficiencys at same time as taper? In a perfect world I wouldn't but I'm now severely suicidal so HAVE to start reducing. But leaving deficiency seems ridiculous if it can CAUSE issues too. 

One last question... 4 nights of no sleep has increased my suicidality and my thinking is dangerously distorted. My husband wants me to take a one off dose of sleeping pill just to get 1 night under my belt. Thoughts? 

Untitled document.docx

• Administrator

Why do you think mirtazapine has become toxic? You've been taking it for years.

Probably best to get started on the B12 supplementation ASAP.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I haven't felt right on it since day 1. I just kept thinking it was wd from Paxil. But the symptoms are all getting worse as time goes on. 

Am I right in thinking they can become paradoxical too? 

Untitled document.docx

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Do you think burning brain could be B12 deficiency? 

Untitled document.docx

• Administrator
On 8/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, cathnz said:

But the symptoms are all getting worse as time goes on. 

This could also be true of advancing vitamin deficiency. You might read up on symptoms of B12 deficiency and the other deficiencies.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, cathnz said:

@Erellyou know the success stories inside out... can you point me in the direction of someone that had extreme neurotoxicity and grain burning while on a med, but got off and headed? 

Hello cathnz, 

I think that, overall, all success stories tell this story. The story of people who have suffered from the effects of medication and/or dependence on their nervous system and who gradually and progressively have seen improvements.

You can discover the stories of Ten0275 / erer / Rhiannon / Aberdeen and many more.

I know how hard it can be to believe that things can work out when you're caught up in the whirlwind of chaos, but really, as horrible as this time may be, it's not a life sentence. I do believe that our bodies have remarkable regulatory capabilities.

Hang in there, we do have a future :) 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

@cathnz
Thinking of you how’s it going ? 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

On 8/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, Longroadhome said:

@cathnz
Thinking of you how’s it going ? 

Not good @Longroadhome, not good 😢 I feel so so neurotoxic it's not funny. The decline in a month is horrifying. I can barely function. 

Untitled document.docx

• 2 weeks later...

@cathnz

How are you. Have you made your mind up about tapering ? 
There’s no doubt this is a hard journey but once you have made your mind up of the way forward, the stress is less and the path becomes clear. 

• 3 months later...

How are you?

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate

3 hours ago, Lauren90 said:

How are you?

Unfortunately... awful 😭 I cannot muster the courage to taper, yet the med is destroying me. I dunt knew how to get out of this hell hole 😭

Untitled document.docx