Idlehnds theory of the withdrawal loop

Idlehnds

2 hours ago, intothewoods said:

@Idlehnds, I know we all want to help each other. The problem I have with this board is 1) the title -- "The Withdrawal Loop" and 2) the first two sentences you post are:

Friends and family have read this and believe that I should not be in bedridden WD for years now. I don't blame them for thinking that. That's what you are saying. Very few members of the public will dig through the thread to see all the various comments and work to ascertain that perhaps withdrawal is more than a short time. 

If they do wade through, they'll find a heavy pitch for the Gupta program like this:

So Gupta teaches there is nothing wrong with us physiologically (I know his program so understand it's a bit more complex yet that is the core tenant: healing from within) and that gets us in more trouble. As Altostrata and others commented, the Gupta techniques in general are helpful and offered from many sources both new and old and also free. We agree we must work on our thoughts and emotional spirals, that meditation and other self-care tools are essential. It's just that to me, this board/page misleads from the start and causes hurt to members and their loved ones. 

You seem very genuine and loving so please, it's nothing personal. I simply have been hurt by this information and the way it is presented. 

I just read your signature and I understand your struggle from it.  I am also terribly sorry about your family reading this and saying you shouldnt be in bed.   They just dont understand what you are going through.   I cant remember how many times people would tell me that it was all in my head.   They just don't understand how it feels.

For anything short of a emergency or serious illness i dont trust doctors and I cant believe the mix of SSRI they gave you.   I stopped believing them when I fixed my horrible pain in my leg from doing the exact opposite of what doctors told me to do which turned my whole belief system about our medical industry.  I started to learn about the mind/body connection.  I realized that most western medical doctors are controlled by big pharma.   Not all but most.   This is a whole another debate.

Just because I said that withdrawal is 2-6 weeks doesn’t include years of trauma and neural pathways that each of our lives have wired in our subconscious.   I grew up bullied and had a over protective mother that made me a people pleaser and an anxious person.   I have shame issues with my body, think I am short, and have been trained by my mom growing up to be a worry wart, and i am highly sensitive.   I have also had other highly stressful periods in my life that i didnt know how to handle that wrecked me.  If i didnt find these programs that lifelong trauma and belief system would of kept me in deeper nervous system issues.   I would of dug myself deeper and deeper instead of doing what both DNRS and Gupta said as well as the other tools at once during my withdrawal phase or my nervous system would of gotten worse and worse.

My trauma growing up and my personality mixed, created neural pathways in my brain that dictates which chemicals are released or not released in our brains.  There is much more to this story and thread but i think it wasnt conveyed right.   You almost need to take a course alot of this stuff.    If you want we should have this title changed or removed or the thread removed.  I dont want to cause any more harm.

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

2 hours ago, KMart95 said:

If you want to push your overpriced scammy doctor to other people here, it is up to them whether they want to run with that and fork out hundreds of dollars hoping for a way out. I think it's wonderful when people recommend things here that could be helpful. I practice mindfulness myself. The difference is that you come with a very distorted view of what withdrawal is really like and why it happens. I feel that most people who have gone through severe protracted withdrawal are frequently told by friends, family and doctors that it's all in our heads and if we just change our thought process we can heal. Unfortunately, that is not the issue and I don't think we need to hear that in a place that's meant to be supportive and understanding. The problem is a nervous system gone haywire. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but your opinion is just not holding up.

I just really wish you could understand this. I am no way saying this in your head.   This is not what I am saying. There is so much more to this whole topic it can be a course.   I chose to learn as much as possible and grow and this whole thing can be a 24 hour debate and discussion.

Honestly this is causing me issues and I am spending too much time concerned over this.  I figured people would be excited and hopeful to try something that has worked for someone else and understand that there protracted withdrawal is something they could understand and could ease there suffering.  When I learned I wasnt “broken” and that my life experiences and personality has gotten me to where i was i gave myself compassion and love and started healing.  I was no longer this victim of who I have become.   Just my journey.   I think we need to delete this thread and move on.  I think you are right and we dont need controversy or debate about this.   I think it all causes more harm then good and if it isnt helping people its not worth it.  

I was hoping for people to want to learn more and have more debate and not shun me for these ideas.   Please delete this.   Can I do it since I created it?

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Administrator

@Idlehnds, this is a valid discussion. I appreciate your sincere desire to help.

The methods you suggest can indeed be helpful to take the edge off some withdrawal symptoms.

I think we all agree now that post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) is not a product of bad thoughts but an iatrogenic condition for which we need to develop coping skills, such as those you suggested.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Agree with you Alto that mindfulness helps with coping skills during a wave, but it doesn't change the fact that the CNS is trying to fix itself over time, and thus we are going to experience what could be multiple symptoms for a while.

I find this is where some therapists/alternative health practitioners "don't get it".  

Steve Jobs thought that by eating a purely organic diet, and being positive would cure his cancer.  It didn't.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 3:59 PM, Altostrata said:

....The methods you suggest can indeed be helpful to take the edge off some withdrawal symptoms.

I think we all agree now that post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) is not a product of bad thoughts but an iatrogenic condition for which we need to develop coping skills, such as those you suggested.

I agree. The limbic retraining program does not directly address PAWS. And the program is a great resource for going through PAWS. I have been doing the DNRS program since early December for POTS and anxiety. Withdrawal from SSRIs is not one of the conditions the program claims it will address. The program is very powerful for addressing other conditions arising from limbic system injury and can increase resilience, calm, joy, energy. These changes have helped me handle my tapering experience better. But PAWS remains a condition with difficult symptoms, to get through in all the ways recommended on these boards. 

---

Lorazepam: (2014-15 1-1.5 mg lorazepam [aka Ativan] at night; 2016 to Nov 2018: 0.75 mg lorazepam at night; Dec 2018: divide dose into 3x a day. Jan 2019: taper 5% every 15 days; Held 9/2019 - 2/2020 at 0.35 mg). March 2020 started 2.5% taper every 15 days. Nov 2020 tapering 5% every 15 days. Dose divided into 2x a day. Now at 0.008 mg March 2023. Sertraline:  Jan 2017 25 mg: began 10% per month taper. Went on "exit strategy" at 0.084 mg Nov 2020 for 8 weeks, 0.042 for 4 weeks, 0.028 for 2 weeks starting 2/25/21, then 0.014 for 2 weeks, then .007 for a while, Done May 4, 2021. Unfortunately due to circumstances I restarted at 25 mg January 2022. New taper began January 2023. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Idlehnds theory of the withdrawal loop
  • 1 year later...

@Idlehndshow are you doing with the Gupta program? Ive been doing it now for 7 1/2 months. I started it because at almost 3 years in PAWS i had a major setback which left me the worst ive ever been in my whole PAWS journey. 

To clarify a few things to do with the Gupta Program, its based on the premise that at some point whether it was exposure to a chemical, a virus, a serious stress event, a trauma, a medication, etc it created a loop of fight or flight in your amygdala/limbic system. The limbic system controls your nervous system, your immune system and your endocrine system which are 95% of your subconscious body function processes.  This is why our symptoms can be so all encompassing. 

The techniques taught in the Gupta program teach you how to calm the limbic system down by continually reinforcing that you are safe and not really in danger.  You are supposed to retrain every thought to do with the condition (PAWS) that comes up. Im not entirely successful with this so i try to find thoughts or things i react to (smells, foods, supplements) to use to retrain with every day. Because of my ptsd caused by PAWS at times this is difficult.  The other 2 things we are supposed to do are meditate and engage with joy(hobbies, family time, etc).  The premise is easy but the commitment isnt. 

is the Gupta program responsible for the last 7 1/2 months of healing or would i have healed this much without it i have no way of knowing.  After all i healed to 75% just on coping skills alone before my setback. What i am hoping is that the brain retraining will stop me from having another setback until i can fully heal. Will the Gupta program get me fully healed faster? I hope so but only time will tell. Im curently 50% healed so still not where i was before my setback but getting there.  

@Altostratai would be curious to know which part of PAWS you think doesnt fall under limbic system injury and isnt able to be healed by a brain retraining program like this. 

2016 - April started 10mg Lexapro/escitalopram

2017 - January tapered off over a month 

2017 - March reinstated 1/4 pill or 2.5 mg of Lexapro/Escitalopram

2017 - June went up to 5mg 

2017 - August was switched to 75mg Effexor/Venlafaxine

2017 - November tapered 75 mg down to 18.75 had to stop and stabilize

2017-2018 December to March 25 tapered from 18.75 to 2mg had pretty mild tapers. 
2018 - March 25 dropped off at 2 mg

Since then have been in PAWS but stable and seeing healing. 
Currently only taking digestive enzymes and probiotics

• Administrator
19 hours ago, WillowRain said:

@Altostratai would be curious to know which part of PAWS you think doesnt fall under limbic system injury and isnt able to be healed by a brain retraining program like this. 

From what I understand, the symptoms of PAWS may emanate from any body system. I am dubious symptoms can be traced to any particular neurobiological system.

It's possible that people might benefit from brain retraining, meditation, or whatever. The human mind is a wonderful thing. Simply being preoccupied with a practice that is calming may enable people to better endure through a natural neurobiological rebalancing process that is very gradual and may take a long time. Sure, why not? Feeling you have some control over your symptoms is better than worrying every step of the way.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy