SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DD44: please help, currently on mirtazapine and gabapentin

DD44

@Altostrata okay. first thing though i would like to get clear on how to make my mirt into a liquid. the pills are small and circular so i feel very unsure and nervous on how to adjust the dosage but think going liquid might be better for me. i could do dry if you think thats better, i have a mg scale but i am bad with math and of course feel out of it with everything going on with my health. i just know that i dont like this joint pain and i cant really tell if the mirt is doing anything for my sleep. the only thing i could imagine at this point its doing for me is muting my anxiety, so i dont know. 

in regards to my sleep pattern, unfortunately i live in a house with a few dogs, sometimes more. the house doesnt typically get quiet until about 11pm/ sometimes rare occasion not til 12pm, and unfortunately sometimes there are other disturbances. before all this began (two years ago) my normal bedtime was 12am, and woke at 8am but not easily. i was known to sleep in my entire life. i think this was either the fact that my mother was completely neglectful of me and let me do whatever i wanted from a very young age (she would allow me to stay home from school for days at a time) OR i had a undiagnosed delayed sleep onset syndrome. i cannot be sure, and would love to imagine one day i could be in bed by 10p, but in the household im currently in there are no guarantees i wont be disturbed. i was also always considered a "light sleeper" but slept non the less. hope this helps give you more insight, i know its a lot of info but i figured its relevant since i think trying to force myself into sleeping at 10pm with the conditions and prior habits might be a lot. in regards to getting up, its been very hard for me most days because i just dont feel well (fatigued from little to no sleep)

-JAN 18' - aug 18’ -22.5mg temazapam + 7.5-15mg remeron  for insomnia. —Aug 18’ temazapam switched to ambien 10mg

-AUG 18’ - April/May 19’ Taper off remeron 

-Mid july 19’ - one week of  200mg Gabapentin c/t  —-mid July 19”-  3 weeks of 50mg trazadone fast tapered 

-July 19’- began random use of .5 Xanax rarely to get rest 

- Mid Aug 19’ - one day of viibryd, 7 days of cymbalta 30mg, 3 days of seroquel 25-50mg

-Aug- 1 wk of Klonopin .5-.75 fast taper 

-Sep 19’ tried trazadone 50 again (still on ambien 10mg)  some time in sep 19’ was c/t off 10mg ambien because was thought to have become ineffective

-oct 7 c/t trazadone and restarted 7.5 remeron holding since 

12/3/19  at 7.5 after a 2 day attempt compounded 7mg. Jan 2020  dry taper from 7.5 |Oct 1 at 6.4 high disruption to sleep began |oct 20 Updosed to 6.6 |oct 26 updosed to 6.8 holding. Jan 26 updosed to 7.5 holding till stable.

supplements 400mg magnesium glycinate nightly

Hi Dd4,

I saw you mention you aren’t getting any perceived sleep, but don’t feel so tired/drowsy. That likely means you are getting some hopefully!. I don’t get perceived sleep either, and I know looking at a clock through the night isn’t recommended, but I have found that if I look at the clock sometimes, I recognize that while I thought I was awake for 30 minutes, an hour actually passed by and that confirms to me that I have slept some which helps to alleviate the anxiety at night which tends to grow the longer you’re awake. I put aside an hour for a wind down routine. Taking a warm bath, meditating and prayer on the couch before getting into the bed is helpful for me. Michael Sealey has some great guided meditations on YouTube. I try to stay away from my bed if I’m not sleeping. So I don’t read there or lay there for extended periods of time if I’m not sleeping. (This is hard and I’m not great at it because I don’t always know when I’m sleeping or not). I also don’t go to bed until I feel drowsy or tired enough to where I think I have a good chance of falling asleep. This is so important for me. Sometimes that is late, sometimes it’s not. I keep a strict wake up time, no matter how much I’ve slept that night. These were all things recommended to me by my CBT-Insomnia therapist. If I were following her suggestions to a T, I actually would only be giving myself a 5.5hour window in bed, so I’d be going to bed at 1:30am and waking at 7 since I’m not sleeping more than 5 hours. I can’t do that tho, it causes too much anxiety which is counterproductive, so I go to bed when I feel my body has the best chance of falling asleep. What you don’t want to happen is to start associating the bed or nighttime with wakefulness, so if you know for sure you haven’t been sleeping, (it’s supposed to be after 20 min, but I get up after 40 min of not falling asleep) you want to get up and do a relaxing activity and then return to bed when you feel you could fall asleep.  I think sometimes sleep may be one of the last things to return for some of us because it’s very easy to perpetuate insomnia by sleeping at random times, not keeping the same wake up time, and spending lots of time in bed awake where the brain begins to associate the bed with being awake. It is very common for people to have a single stressor that keeps them up, but then when the  stressor is gone the insomnia remains until treated appropriately with sleep restriction, stimulus control (getting out of bed) and addressing negative thoughts about sleep. Sadly with withdrawal these things don’t always work since it’s often a mechanical issue with falling asleep rather than behavioral,  but some of those things could help and will hopefully help you in avoiding continued insomnia when you are healed. 

I hope this subsides for you soon! 

• Administrator

DD, I'm sorry you are in a difficult situation with a difficult family history. However, at this point, you need to take care of yourself. We can't do it for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Jen1234 i am familiar with CBT. for me the hard part is my house i live in is fairly chaotic. there are dogs and other people and i often times dont feel comfortable any other place than my room. i have a computer chair and i can sit on the floor to do yoga. if i go in other places in the home after the hours of 10pm its is guaranteed that i will be exposed to bright light, other people, dogs etc. i have listened to michael sealy, i like him but have found lately that im doing better with soft music. i dont look at the clock. for me i dont understand the idea of getting out of bed if i have taken medication. also after i take my med i do seem to go into some weird state where i am not awake but dont feel i have had a deep sleep what so ever. most of my body hurts and i am so fatigued that it makes it hard for me to get out of bed at the same time each day. some days i have gotten up at 9am other days im in pain or just so fatiqued that i dont move, like today, i didnt move until noon. 

-JAN 18' - aug 18’ -22.5mg temazapam + 7.5-15mg remeron  for insomnia. —Aug 18’ temazapam switched to ambien 10mg

-Mid july 19’ - one week of  200mg Gabapentin c/t  —-mid July 19”-  3 weeks of 50mg trazadone fast tapered 

- Mid Aug 19’ - one day of viibryd, 7 days of cymbalta 30mg, 3 days of seroquel 25-50mg

-Sep 19’ tried trazadone 50 again (still on ambien 10mg)  some time in sep 19’ was c/t off 10mg ambien because was thought to have become ineffective

12/3/19  at 7.5 after a 2 day attempt compounded 7mg. Jan 2020  dry taper from 7.5 |Oct 1 at 6.4 high disruption to sleep began |oct 20 Updosed to 6.6 |oct 26 updosed to 6.8 holding. Jan 26 updosed to 7.5 holding till stable.

@Altostrata im sorry, i wasnt trying to come across like i expected anyone to do anything for me, i was just explaining where i live so that maybe i could form a plan to work around what im dealing with. i know i am in total control of what i do and how i adapt to my situation. i was just giving details so that you guys could help me make a plan that worked around what im dealing with. im really doing my best here, im sorry if i came across wrong. 

I understand. Your sleep is very similar to mine. Glad the music is helping some. Take comfort in knowing you are getting some sleep even if not perceived. It will change eventually I believe and I think we’ll begin to sleep more deeply and begin to feel it. So sorry you are dealing with this 

@Jen1234 are you still on meds?

i cant do this anymore. someone please message me. i dont want to keep taking this dose of 7.5 mirt. i want this stuff out of my system. seriously considering splitting my pill. i dont know what im just having a break down and had enough dont want to spend the next year getting off this med that i took 8 months to get off of already. im sorry guys i just dont know what to do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey D - It sounds like you are in a situation where you can "manage" your stuff by increasing doses. (info from PM)

It's a trap, and an infinite one - because you increase and increase and increase, and then - when the drugs stop working (or you can't go any higher) you're stuffed.

You have been bouncing around trying drugs all year.  The drugs you tried in July and August - are now kicking your arse.  That's how withdrawal works - what you did 3 months ago (or even up to 18 months ago) can be affecting you now.  

What would serve you best is stability.  Stop trying new formulas.  Stay on the same dose for 3-6 months.  Then, you will be able to taper off the mirt.

insomnia is common, common, common with these drugs.  Instead of fighting insomnia, learn to "do your best" on "what you get."  It's a level of acceptance that will stop your cortisol from firing so hard (which is hard on sleep).

Important Topics about Symptoms Including Sleep Problems

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/53-sleep-problems-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/348-what-is-the-sleep-cycle/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6122-guided-meditations-calming-videos-sleep-hypnosis/

So - we have had people in here in withdrawal who never slept for more than an hour at a time, living on catnaps - for up to 2 years.

Your anxiety about your sleep is as hard on you (or even harder) than the lack of sleep itself.

The human body is an amazing thing - and - as you stabilise and heal, your sleep will improve. You will find little hacks (like sleep hygiene, for example) that help.  None of it *fixes* the chemical problems that the drugs have caused - but paying attention to your body and what helps - is the best solution.

One of the things I do for my sleep, is to take a 10 minute walk in the sun as soon as I get up.  This resets the melatonin, and, in my region, also helps with vitamin D.  Naturally, without supplements.  I have found that this sun walk is so vital to my mood, that only extreme weather will keep me from it.

i hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I didn’t want to increase my dose. I wanted to decrease. There have been times like last night where after I took it (it’s suppose to make you drowsy) I felt more awake. Last night was terrible. Maybe it’s my mind at work. It’s been recommended to get out of bed st the same time every day, but when I’m getting such little rest like this I just can’t seem to. Body is in too much discomfort. I’m trying so hard, this is so hard. I’m trying to survive 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Your anxiety about your sleep is as hard on you (or even harder) than the lack of sleep itself.

I'm going to "ditto" this.

1 hour ago, DD44 said:

There have been times like last night where after I took it (it’s suppose to make you drowsy) I felt more awake.

This sounds like a paradoxical reaction. It may be the combination of the melatonin with the Remeron that created this especially if you're also taking magnesium and gltuamine at the same time. The more sedating drugs and supplements you take at one time, the more likely you'll get a paradoxical reaction. This is because the more you dampen down the nervous system, the more it fights to stay awake. Spacing the drugs and supplements out may help reduce paradoxical reactions.

Please don't make any changes yet. Please start a daily drug and symptoms journal in the below format. After a few days of doing this, we may be able to help you set up a better schedule for taking your drugs. 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

11p extreme anxiety about continuing remeron 
1130p took 400mg magnesium 
(10/20) 12a 1.5mg melatonin 7.5mg remeron 
2am extremely alert (lights out, quiet, light music 
Pretty much just lay from 3-8a
10a - get out of bed (basically never slept)
1030a -joint pain (similar to last time on remeron) are some food got some sun tried to do stuff around the house 
1130a- took 390mg omega 3, probiotic, 500 mg glutamine 
1245p listen to nat king cole..cry
230p bit of a lull got lost online (horror stories not helping me)
330p burst of energy 
630p walk dog too cold out 
7pm depressed again, when it gets dark outside 
830p went to target 
930 friend visit ate sushi at 10 
12pn magnesium 400mg small snack almonds banana 
1a 1.5 melatonin 7.5 remeron 
2a awake 
4a awake 
6a awake no perceived deep sleep 
8a awake ... 10a awake 

for the most most part my only symptom is zero perceived sleep. I may be having light I don’t know, I do have memory of “dreams” feel like daydreams.  I have had 1 or 2 night of perceived sleep over the last couple weeks and it’s distinctly different, felt deep, restorative sensation of waking up. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, DD44 said:

12a 1.5mg melatonin 7.5mg remeron 

This may be too much melatonin. Even 0.25mg can be effective. Suggest you take only 0.25mg, see what it does.

Since taking Remeron makes you so anxious, it's not clear whether it's your anxiety keeping you awake, the Remeron, the melatonin, or withdrawal syndrome.

Starting your sleep cycle after midnight is working against your natural sleep rhythm, which naturally starts much earlier -- at nightfall. Suggest you take melatonin and Remeron at 9 p.m. with lights out at that time, preparing for sleep by 11 p.m.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata I can try that. But just want to make sure you recommend that even though before meds I always went to bed at around 12. I had been going to bed around that time for probley my entire adult life. I just wonder if I had a delayed sleep phase before the meds (undiagnosed). 

• Administrator

No, you just were pushing the envelope for your sleep cycle. I am suggesting you work with it. This is a change. You are not in the same situation as you were pre-drugs.

@Shep
10a out of bed, full body muscle pain 
1030 ate food 
11a sit down to watch tv -random muscle spasms
1pm almost took a nap so tired / drowsy 
(Had normal sensation of drowsy and drifting off!!)
530p ate tacos feeling ok 
9pm took magnesium 400mg
10p took .3 melatonin / 7.5 remeron 
1010p 20 min epsom bath/shower 
11 in bed 
12 out of bed/noise/ yelled at/moderate anxiety 
1230-8 sleep off and on woke maybe every 1-2 hrs 
8a awake woke very sweaty 
9 a out of bed 

Correction to 10/20 post 

didn’t get out of bed till 1030- had anxiety 

also very drowsy 

@Shep 10/21

1030 out of bed (was drowsy, anxious and sweaty)
11 food eggs oats yogurt 
12-3 computer make calls.. 
4p-7 work feel ok head pressure 
830p food / magnesium 400mg
1130 in bed 
1230 eyes closed but not asleep 
2a-8 toss &turn many day dreams /sweaty 
1030 out of bed body hurts .. 

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, DD44 said:

@Shep 10/21

1030 out of bed (was drowsy, anxious and sweaty)
11 food eggs oats yogurt 
12-3 computer make calls.. 
4p-7 work feel ok head pressure 
830p food / magnesium 400mg
1130 in bed 
1230 eyes closed but not asleep 
2a-8 toss &turn many day dreams /sweaty 
1030 out of bed body hurts .. 

Did you not take the Remeron and melatonin or did you forget to include them in your notes? 

@Shep forgot I been taking it around 10p w .3 melatonin 

@Shep

1030? Up?/food 
11-130 computer some food at 130
2-7 work..6pm dinner 
8p home /protein shake 
915 took magnesium 400mg
930p piano 
10p .3 melatonin 7.5 remeron 
1040 p Espoo salt bath
1115p night time yoga 
12p in bed 
Not sure what time but did sleep from 
1/2/3?-9a no recollection of time fell asleep. Did have nightmare that woke me 
This day is vague because I didn't track as I went 

@DD44 I wanted to respond to you because I feel like we have very similar stories. I am 36, live with friends and I also have had a lot of childhood and life trauma. I have had lifetime sleep and GI issues and all of these things snowballed into a full-on breakdown in 2012 where I became unable to function and had no choice but to seek medical attention.

I have tried many psychiatric and sleep medications since 2012 (Mirtazapine, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Lexapro, Celexa, Buspar, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Ambien, Adderall IR, Adderall XR, Vyvanse + more) as well as melatonin in many different dosages and just about every other natural remedy you can think of. I have seen many different naturopaths, psychiatrists, therapists, endocrinologists, chiropractors, sleep docs, gastro docs, etc.

For a few years, I was able to function on various combinations of medications (mainly PM sleeping pills or benzos and AM stimulants), but I was not really ok. Just somehow able to make it through most days. After a bad breakup in 2015, I had another breakdown and couldn’t sleep at night - even with medication. Most nights I couldn’t fall asleep until the sun was coming up and then couldn’t get up until 1 PM or so and missed a lot of days of work. My employer at the time was very understanding and supportive, but my issues went on like that for about 10 months and eventually I had to leave my job in June of 2016. I’ve had some part time work and even a good full-time job for 6 months since then, but have not felt well for long enough where I could truly get my life back on track.

Since the 2015 breakdown, after taking so many different medications - starting them and stopping them with no taper and no knowledge about withdrawal - not only did my sleep become worse, but I developed chronic nausea to the point where it became debilitating. I can not pinpoint for sure what caused this, but I believe it was a combination of benzo withdrawal and side effects from gabapentin and lamictal.

At this point I felt like I would be better off with no medications and had been trying to drop them all completely, but the nausea became so bad that I had to try something. My doctor recommended Mirtazapine because it would help with sleep and with the nausea. At 30 mg it did help greatly with both of these things, but I was in a cloud all the time, had to sleep 10 hours per night, and gained 30 lbs within 9 months. I was ready to get off.

Around this time I visited a new sleep doctor who for the first time in my life diagnosed my sleep issues correctly. I have a neurological circadian rhythm disorder that delays my sleep, hormones, and other bodily systems about 5 hours to the sun. This means I can get 8 hours of sleep and feel refreshed if I live on a schedule of sleeping roughly 4 AM-12 PM, but not earlier. This does not fit with normal society, so it is hard to accept. With treatment, some people are able to shift a few hours earlier.

The 2 primary methods of treatment are morning light therapy and melatonin. For me, melatonin in any dosage makes me feel very depressed the next day, so it is not an option. Light therapy, however, is a big help. It does not get me to a normal person’s schedule, but doing it for 45 min-1 hour immediately after waking in the morning with a 10,000 lux light box has worked better than sunlight and better than any sleep medications ever did in making me sleepy at night and able to fall asleep at a somewhat reasonable hour and stay asleep most nights. I know you said you had tried sunlight, but I would highly recommend trying a light box. General instructions are to keep it 12-18 inches from your face and don’t look at it directly, but I have more success if I keep it 6 inches away and look directly at it intermittently. The one I have is a Philips GoLite Blu. Any light box will work, but make sure it's 10,000 lux and portable.

The light box for me was a real breakthrough and I began to taper off of Mirtazapine 2 years ago in October of 2017. Poor advice from my doctor on how to get off of it made me very, very sick for months, so I had to resort to online forums to learn how to do a slow taper. I am down to about 1/2 a milligram from a starting dose of 30 mg. Even going slow, there have been many periods of withdrawal along the way and I am currently sick from it. It’s been the hardest thing I have ever done, but soon I will be done and completely free from prescription medications.

Even though I am not completely out of the woods with Mirtazapine and the circadian rhythm issues will be a lifelong battle, I feel like I am on the path to true, sustainable health. I believe that psychiatric medications can help people and that they did help me at certain times, but I learned the hard way that they can mask problems without fixing them, while presenting a whole slew of new problems that can take months or years to recover from - even long after stopping a medication.

I have been on both medications that you are currently on and I wish I had never taken either one. I would say give a light box a try and see if it will help you sleep better. If you do feel the time is right to quit or taper off the medications you are on, give it some time (months) off of them to give your body a chance to return to normal functioning and sleep tendencies before you allow a doctor to prescribe something else. I know what it's like to get so little sleep over a long period of time that your life just seems like one long day...you never have the proper sleep cycles for your brain to recover at night. Medicating into oblivion just made things worse over time for me and it took a long time to recover from that so that I could get restful sleep again.

Most of all, go easy on yourself. I know what it’s like to have a dysfunctional family, no financial support, little understanding from anyone, and feel like the clock is ticking while others around you are moving forward in their lives and careers. It’s a tough place to be, but until you are healthy, you will not be able to reach your full potential. Give yourself some time and realize that you are still very young. You have been through a lot and you will heal, but it will take time. Keep doing the little things like yoga, epsom salt baths, piano, etc. Check out from social media. Be kind to yourself every day and progress will happen.

Mirtazapine since 1/1/17. Started at 30 mg. Began tapering 10/27/17

End of 2017 at 22.5 mg | End of 2018 at 5.156 mg | End of 2019 at 0.35 mg

End of 2020 at 0.075 mg | Currently at ZERO (took final dose on 8/7/21)

Total Taper time: 3 years, 9+ months (1383 days)

Daily Supplements: Multivitamin, Fish Oil, D3, B Complex, Magnesium, Probiotic (Nexabiotic)

Other Meds: Nexium 40 mg every morning (to combat withdrawal-related reflux and gastritis)

Took and CT'd all of the below between 2012 and 2017

Prozac, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Lexapro, Celexa, Buspar, Lamictal, Gabapentin, Trileptal

Xanax, Klonopin, Lorazepam, Ambien, Silenor, Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Vyvanse

@Shep @Altostrata

10 23
9a woke from nightmare (but I woke)
930 call w doctor - went ok
11 breakfast / grounding / sun
12 went on walk, foot and knee hurt
1230 snack 
Lots of energy 
1-3 work on computer 
4- work.. much more alert today 
6pm dinner 
920 weird feelings in head not too bad just pressure here or there 
1030 bath epsom weird sensations in body kinda of dry feeling, mild cramps
1140 in bed meditate 
12-4? Light rest 
4 woken by barking /very anxious/alert, lots of joint pain/didn't get drowsy again till maybe 8
9 woke
1030 out of bed 

i forgot to mention that i stopped taking my fish oil and glutamine. im not sure why i guess i wanted to see if it changed anything. so as of right now all i take now is my magnesium at night supplement wise. 

the last two days iv been experiencing some pretty strong joint pain, but its different that what im used to. its like a raw dry feeling, in my hips, along my neck, tailbone. not sure if epsom salt bath everyday is too much, or if my short walk i did was too much exercise yesterday.  

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DD44 said:

@Shep @Altostrata

10 23
9a woke from nightmare (but I woke)
930 call w doctor - went ok
11 breakfast / grounding / sun
12 went on walk, foot and knee hurt
1230 snack 
Lots of energy 
1-3 work on computer 
4- work.. much more alert today 
6pm dinner 
920 weird feelings in head not too bad just pressure here or there 
1030 bath epsom weird sensations in body kinda of dry feeling, mild cramps
1140 in bed meditate 
12-4? Light rest 
4 woken by barking /very anxious/alert, lots of joint pain/didn't get drowsy again till maybe 8
9 woke
1030 out of bed 

This doesn't look bad.

Is there anything you can do about the barking? Other people might be annoyed by it, too.

@Altostrata unfortunately it’s the lady of the house who babysits dogs, sometimes it’s no big deal, other times like today it’s a puppy and it’s a problem. She’s trying to rent another bedroom out that’s vacant and I really wish she would (then shed have to manage things better) I feel I get less respect since I’m a “long time family friend” 

i use two forms of white noise and silicon ear plugs 😕

this is why my goal is to get confident about being functional in a job so I can move and not worry about falling behind..

Wax earplugs work great and are really comfortable 

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

@Shep @Altostrata

10 24

10 24
1030 out of bed/ achy feeling/ weird dry feeling in joints/ is epsom bath every day too much? Weird pain in hips / very constipated this morning 
11 food / sunlight / grounding 
1130 call w therapist 
12 cooked food/ shower 
3p piano 
4p work / severe pain in tailbone 
5p dinner 
10 magnesium 
1030 7.5 remeron .3 melatonin
12 in bed /Toss and turn a lot / no rest perceived 
Severe pain in tailbone 
4/5 dogs bark ?  Achy 
9 awake too much pain to get up
11 still in bed so achy 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey DD44 I just wanted you to know I'm still following your thread, and I see you're now consistently logging your withdrawal symptoms and any changes you are making to your routine. This is a really good example of you doing consistent SELF-CARE and reaching out to others in ways that allow them to best support you here . . . well done :) 

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

@elbee thank u for following me. I get hope out of seeing your “mirt free” in your sign. Any stories of others you’ve met here who are no longer on the site but became mirt free, feel free to share. My biggest fear (which I now realize is everyone’s biggest fear) is that I will never get there for one reason or another .. 

I have started back up my probiotic, glutamine and probley my fish oil. They may have been helping more than I knew. Although constipation can be a side effect of my med, I don’t think that’s what it is, I hope not because I don’t think I could function with my bowel like this on going. Iv been hit with severe constipation and severe tailbone pain. I’ll see how the day progresses (beginning late July I had severe tailbone pain for three months with diarrhea and difficulty eating or being hungry. it had finally resolved the last couple weeks)  yesterday the tailbone pain was so bad just walking and moving was a challenge. Ordered a tailbone cushion. Really hope it’s not fractured. Might get a x Ray. Obviously like with all things not getting the rest I need or at least some doesn’t help the healing process. I think that’s my biggest sadness about losing rest. Makes me feel my body can’t recover as easy

@herewego unfortunately even silicon (which iv found to be the most comfortable) doesnt match up against barking dogs in your home. I have searched and am willing to buy anything that people claim to cancel out barking. the difficulty is finding something that would cancel barking and be comfortable... dog barks seem to be the most difficult to combat. its sadly made my relationship to animals sour at this time. i hope one day i can learn to enjoy them again.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, elbee said:

Hey DD44 I just wanted you to know I'm still following your thread, and I see you're now consistently logging your withdrawal symptoms and any changes you are making to your routine. This is a really good example of you doing consistent SELF-CARE and reaching out to others in ways that allow them to best support you here . . . well done :) 

I agree with elbee! Well done.

If you're getting too much magnesium, you'd have the opposite of constipation. Do you stay well hydrated? In combination with water, magnesium will increase bowel function.

I know when I get pain in my tailbone, it's because of a misalignment further up in my spine. Do you do  a lot of sitting at the computer? Is the pain mostly in your back? Physical therapy might help the back pain. Daily stretching can help, but talk to a physical therapist first to get pointers about DIY exercise.

I don’t sit a lot, but many times when I sit I have a bad habit of sitting in a really weird way where my tailbone was under me instead of behind. I’m hyper flexible (dancer my entire life) and tend to sit in bad positions (too much joint laxity) .. I just need to make sure it’s not fractured. 

It just made me nervous because it hurts when I have a bowel movement (feels like tailbone is bent and pinching) today is a little better but I need to be very diligent on how I sit and move. I know the doctors don’t do much for even a fracture. Basically Tylenol, a butt pillow (I ordered) and rest. @Altostrata I have a chiropractor but I’m scared to go, my body is so fragile since I’m not getting adequate rest. I will try some stretches keep icing.  A light massage might help. Back feels ok- hard to tell what is pain and just sore and achy from not enough rest 

• Administrator

Strongly recommend seeing a good physical therapist and get daily exercises to do at home. Some chiropractors do this, too. Good practitioners in any area are hard to find.