Passionlifetime: refused to live medicated years on antidepressents - Effexor

Passionlifetime

• Moderator Emeritus

If you could reinstate to only 100 I think that might be preferable. Is that possible? 

As for how to taper: You have to decide if you are going to ask for and follow the advice you get here, or if you are going to do it your own way.  The moderators here are all volunteers with lives of their own, and they are mostly all going through their own tapers and withdrawal as well. It is a lot of work to help even one person through a taper. The advice given here comes from dozens of moderators working with hundreds of people over more than ten years of experience.  If you think you know better than that and you are going to do it your own way, nobody will stop you. But in that case please don't waste our time. We are not going to support you in a plan that we think may be harmful.

It seems to me that you ask for help, then you reject that help, then you ask for help again. I don't know how other people feel, but I know I don't have time to play games. 

I will say this one more time, then you will need to go back and reread it here if you forget it:  It is absolutely possible to come off of ADs and to feel well and to have a good life and thrive. However, that is true ONLY if it is done slowly and safely. And it is going to take a long time.

You need to decide if you want to take our advice about that, or not. Nobody can choose for you.

About your doctor asking you to go up to 225 a day: I don't know how it is in India, but here where I live, you can't be forced to take medication.

I have found that telling my doctors that I want to find the "lowest dose that will keep me stable" or the "lowest effective dose" usually gets me more support from them. Most doctors understand the value of keeping drug doses as low as possible.

If you go in to the doctor begging for help and telling them you are desperate, they are going to give you drugs. That is the only thing they know how to do. They do not understand withdrawal.  The drug companies who make billions of dollars from these drugs every day, have denied that withdrawal exists. In the UK there is beginning to be some admission that withdrawal is a problem, but it is still new to doctors and most of them will not believe you. We have some topics here on how to talk to your doctor, and we have a topic with lots of scientific studies. Those can be helpful tools.

My recommendation is a small reinstatement, I think to about 100 mg a day if you can do that, and then wait a month for the change to have some effect, and see if there is some improvement. If there is some improvement, even a little, then stay on that 100 mg dose for about six more months. After those six months you can evaluate where you want to go from there.

Can you answer MMT's questions below about how your medication is packaged?

On 10/24/2019 at 3:54 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Passionlife......,

What are you working with, as far as your VenlorXR goes?  And have you had a chance to look at the link about Effexor and EffexorXR tapering?  That link is up above, given to you, in one of my initial posts.  And okay here it is again:  Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR(venlafaxine).    I ask because I am wondering how your medication is packaged........you'll see in that topic/link to tapering around your specific drug, that the XR usually comes with beads inside a capsule or minitabs in a capsule.   Some just plain solid tablets too.  So what have you got to work with?

Are you using 75 mg capsules(small containers that have beads or minitabs in them)? You may have to open up a capsule to see what you have got inside of it.  Or perhaps you just have a solid tablet that you are working with now?

From my understanding, you are on 75 mg of the XR now still, and have not left the medication completely.  Which is good.  As that would make things even more difficult.  If you had "left the medication" completely.   What time do you take it?  What time did you take it yesterday?  What time did you take it the day before?

Some of your symptoms sure do sound like WD(withdrawal).  Even the confusion now.   All the intensified emotions we often refer to as neuroemotions.  And then you mention feeling flat, or empty emotions or a different feeling.  That could be anhedonia, or some depersonalization.  Really common stuff here in WD(withdrawal) land.   Nightmares too.  And yes, your present situations, and the past year have no doubt caused you to feel emotions, like you never have before, although you do recall your adolescent/teenage emotions pretty well.  It's like that.  The neuroemotions, and then the obsessions on your whole past all balled up into one.  Very trying to try to figure it out. 

And.....it all can interact.  WD and situations.  I think for sure, now, that WD is a major factor in how you are processing everything.  I don't see you as beginning from zero.  You have a degree.  You have a roof over your head and hopefully enough to eat.  Kind parents and a few real life friends.  I think you had mentioned some real life friends.  That's an asset. 

You might get some relief of all this, by even going half way up in dose to where you were before doing the most recent 50% drop in dose.  We can help you work with your form of VenlorXR to do this, if you would like.  The sooner the better, if you decide to give it a try.  The experience of many has shown this to be the case.   You could even just try going up in total daily dose to 100 mg.  See how that goes for a week.  If some improvement, well then........there you would be, somewhat improved.........perhaps improved enough to go back to work.  Or begin a relationship that might lead to marriage.  Or just take some further time out.  Helping your parents or others.  Finding your way again.

I will be honest with you: I am going to wait and see what you do now, before I decide whether to spend more time helping you. There are a lot of other people who need help here, we get new people every day who are just as desperate as you are. I don't have a lot of time for this work and it is very important, life-saving work. So I have to choose to work with the people who are going to actually benefit. I don't want to spend dozens of hours giving advice to someone who is just going to ignore that advice. I hope you understand.

Please answer MMT's questions above, and please read through the topic on tapering off Effexor. The link is in MMT's quote above. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Passionlifetime,

Please listen To what Rhiannon and MMT told you. The advices given here come from a lot of experiences and testimonies. You won't find this skill with your doctor. 

We all trusted what doctors told us, obviously it did'nt help us. 

So Please do not make things worse and listen To the advices given To you !

Best wishes 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

I have updated my signatures:-

Increase/decrease/change Stressors(career and relationship is my primary stress) Date Meds       Stability  

Initial yers Not well         Not stable  

change not well         Not stable  
change not well
Aug 2013-Oct2013->Venlor xr (effexor) 37.5mg morning and 75mg evening,clonotril0.5mg
        Not stable  

decrease got job and stable
oct 2013-nov2014->Venlor xr (effexor) 37.5mg morning and 75mg evening
        stable  
increase left job
nov2014-apr2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day
        stable  
increase left another job
apr2016-jun2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening
        not stable  
decrease got another job
jun2016-jan2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day
        stable  
increase and change high relationship stress
jan 2019-feb2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening,Tryptomer 25mg(amitriptyline),Petril 0.25mg(clonazepam)

Totally lost all functions

decrease side-effect
feb2019-jun2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening
        not stable  

**Withdrawing without doc permission*********.

decrease taper
jun2019-Oct2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day

somewhat improved

decrease taper
Oct2019 first week-present->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg once a day
        improved more  
increase Career stress and taper effect unable to bear anymore and fucntion correctly
26-oct-2019- reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day
        Not stable  

2008-2012-> paroxetine37.5mg,fluxetine 60mg(prozac),fluvoxamine 200mg(luvox cr),citalopram,escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Clonazepam 0.5mg(clonotril)->4 years****2012-2013->escitalopram (Feliz-s20mg),escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Risperidone 0.5mg->1 year****Aug 2013-nov2014->Venlor xr (effexor) 37.5mg morning and 75mg evening,clonotril0.5mg->1 year 3 month****nov2014-apr2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****apr2016-jun2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->5 month****jun2017-jan2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****jan 2019-jun2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->6 month->(extreme stress, job loss, relationships-3)******jun2019-Oct2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->5 month->withdrawal effect*******

Oct2019 first week->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg once a day ->1 month->extreme withdrawal effect*****26-oct-2019- 2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning and 75mg evening->1 month->some relief*****2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->12 month->more relief , extreme stress caa/nrc/riots/corona lockdown/mike and dipen site/nida marriage*****26-dec-2020->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->3 month->better sleep******

20-mar-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon->1 month->reduce because cupping better sleep *****

27-apr-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->1 month->got energy bck

07-jun-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->1 month->too much fat gain

07-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon & vilazodone 20mg night->little at reduced, feeling light from inside.----1 month

29-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-----2months

sep 2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning(alternate days) & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-> in just 10 days effects visible , alternate wont work.

On sep 2021 Total time on:-

initial diff meds:- 4years

venlafaxine:-8yrs+

vilozodone:- 3months+

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey PL,

I saw your drug schedule. 

And saw that you have VenlorXR that comes in capsules with beads inside. 

I'm off computer and into a committee meeting today and then away from my desktop until at least tomorrow.

I think your best bet, right now, and for the week(s) to come is to take the same dose, every day, at the same time(s), within an hour.

Keep notes on this.

How did your doctor tell you to take this drug?

When you start taking these kinds of drugs erratically, missing doses, changing doses in the way you have been doing..........yes, you are going to feel it, with symptoms.

Let's just see if you can be more regular with dosing for a week or two, and then go from there.

That's all I've got.  No magic wand.  No miracle cures.  Not today.  Not most days.  You might feel just a little more stable and able with just staying with a regular schedule of dosing now. 

First things first.  Get regular with your dosing.  Stay there.

Best, and so sorry you are still feeling poorly,  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

2 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

If you could reinstate to only 100 I think that might be preferable. Is that possible? 

Hi Rhiannon,I am sorry I wasted your so much time.I want to do it a way which is negotiable.But seriously I cant do such micro micro taper. it irritates me. Also someone said that nothing is hard and fast rule here. I respect you for all those experience. I am reinstating to 75mg+37.5mg=112.5mg a day counting beads irritates me as of now.I think later I can do that on shorter doses. I want to record my things here on this site.like a journal. If you dont mind can I do that?

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

I saw your drug schedule. 

Hi MMT , I want to hold on 112.5 mg a day  now until I feel ok  and can resume my work as Rhiannon suggest (1 month if ok then 6 month)  , then I will further think for further tapering. 

Is it seems ok Guys?

2008-2012-> paroxetine37.5mg,fluxetine 60mg(prozac),fluvoxamine 200mg(luvox cr),citalopram,escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Clonazepam 0.5mg(clonotril)->4 years****2012-2013->escitalopram (Feliz-s20mg),escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Risperidone 0.5mg->1 year****Aug 2013-nov2014->Venlor xr (effexor) 37.5mg morning and 75mg evening,clonotril0.5mg->1 year 3 month****nov2014-apr2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****apr2016-jun2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->5 month****jun2017-jan2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****jan 2019-jun2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->6 month->(extreme stress, job loss, relationships-3)******jun2019-Oct2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->5 month->withdrawal effect*******

Oct2019 first week->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg once a day ->1 month->extreme withdrawal effect*****26-oct-2019- 2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning and 75mg evening->1 month->some relief*****2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->12 month->more relief , extreme stress caa/nrc/riots/corona lockdown/mike and dipen site/nida marriage*****26-dec-2020->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->3 month->better sleep******

20-mar-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon->1 month->reduce because cupping better sleep *****

07-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon & vilazodone 20mg night->little at reduced, feeling light from inside.----1 month

29-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-----2months

sep 2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning(alternate days) & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-> in just 10 days effects visible , alternate wont work.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if you missed it but venlafaxineXR(VenlorXR) is designed to be taken once a day.  And I'd say, from my own experience with taking it, as well as understanding of how it works a little bit, it should be taken in the morning.  It's along the lines of what we call an accelerator/activator drug.  Not meant to be taken late in the day.

So......just hoping you are taking the bulk of it in the morning anyway.  And then sit tight, with the same dose(s).  Same time of day(within an hour) for at least a weeks time.  No additional drugs/supplements, or potentially psychoactive substances in this time frame either.  Or, I sure would hold off on any right now.   Get yourself regulated with meals, sunshine, outside time, sleep time, and some gentle physical  movement away from your screen(s).  Let's see where you are at in a week.

Best.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Oh:  you noted: January to Febuary 2019- 25mg(amitriptyline),Petril 0.25mg(clonazepam)

And I have duly noted this as well.  And your prolonged history of medications to date.

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

27 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Let's see where you are at in a week.

Sure, I was doing very good on meds as compare to now, and I cant risk upcoming years sitting at home doing nothing , wasted my life.

It occurs to me taking meds and not taking meds both are bad.I need to choose less bad and less bad for currect situtation is taking meds . I have to fulfill my parents dream and for that I need to be on work.so from yesterday my restlessness decreases a bit also shivering decreses a bit.after taking medicine 150mg on 25th and 112.5mg on 26th. from last two days I lost my deep sleep.and I am very afraid.

please tell me .....Is serotonin and norepinephrine are hormones like insulin which has to be taken from outside? How the chemical Imbalance theory works.many say that its wrong theory and just hypothesis.

I am not able to understand what I am gong through is withdrawl or RELAPSE of my initial condition. because I remember Before I initiated medications that time the most and biggest issue was that my decision ability was highly hindered and satisfaction was also hindered and I was not at peace. then over after around 5 years after I was getting better upto the extant that  I was thinking that I dont need meds.

Now reducing meds bring same issue for which I started meds. decision making and satisfaction. 

I can bear physical symptoms which I am bearing from last 8 months but I cant bear this congnitive issues. 

because if even i will survive with meds and with less cognitive functions then I am of no use...it will be really not better then having a some side effects from medicines.

Also my doc said that my meds will not increase any more as I was doing good on 150mg for 4 years.

I believe you can understand my dilemma. I have certain duty towards my parents which I have to fulfill. In India our culture is very different.

at this point I am confused and slightly inclined towards taking medicines for whole life if this is the only way by which I can function properly.

for micro taper I have a doubt that even after micro taper many of guys here was getting serious WD symptoms. and they get better after that I dont know how much they get better without meds.

what I am able to understand that God has written this in my destiny and now I need to choose less bad among two.

my doc asked me to updose to 150mg for some time , what u say on this.?

please be little kind to me , if I annoy you.I know I am not firm in my decisions .right now. 

My depression worsens..

I feel no energy and motivation to go out of bed.

apetite loss

sleep disturbed 

unable to focus and concentrate

anxiety to go out

isolated my self

lost interest in most things I like

cant focus and make decision for career

out of job from 8 months.

when will this chronic day fatigue ends?

Thank God I feel better today and fatigue also diminished by 40% approx..sleep issue still there ..not getting enough tired so might be not need much sleep. but concentration and focus improvved..rest overall feeling improved after reinstatement.  

Now I am really confused that those was WD or Relapse....I seriously dont understand 

• Mentor
On 10/30/2019 at 2:25 AM, Passionlifetime said:

when will this chronic day fatigue ends?

That was the hardest part for me. I still get it but very seldom. I used to have it daily. It will get better. I can take the other symptoms but having no energy to do anything is so tough. I’m glad to see you had improvements today! That’s great! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

26 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

That was the hardest part for me. I still get it but very seldom. I used to have it daily. It will get better. I can take the other symptoms but having no energy to do anything is so tough. I’m glad to see you had improvements today! That’s great! 

I am just going to meet my psychiatrist today. I am almost sure that I cannot come off the drugs ....i bear many physical WD but cant take fatigue and cognitive impairment...I need to work....cant sit at home...I am thinking I will try after I turn 60 may be......lol.....

• Moderator Emeritus

If you decide to stick with the path, 112.5 a day sounds fine. Just stay on that dose now, as MMT says, the same dose at the same time every day. 

Your psychiatrist is going to agree with you that you can't come off drugs and is going to give you more. Do whatever you need to, I guess. I don't think more/different drugs is really going to help you at this point, but most people find that hard to believe and end up going down that path at least for a while. It won't get you off the drugs, and generally our function just tends to deteriorate overall the more years and the more drugs. Nobody really gets more functional while still taking the drugs as far as I can tell. 

However, withdrawal suffering is incredible. I really do understand the need and urge to do something that feels like it might help. Good luck to you.

If you find yourself back to wanting to try to get off meds at some point, DON'T DO A FAST TAPER ON YOUR OWN. Take the advice here and do the 10% taper.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, Passionlifetime said:

Thank you so much skyblue for Replying , I read a lot on this site and here I just need a peer support , someone to whom I can talk , who can UNDERSTAND what I am going through , most people wont understand who have never went it through themselves.

Sorry for the long story:-

short version is below.

-Bully(15yrs) in childhood

-My teenage love(8 yrs) unrequitted and she is a mother of two kids now.

-Science and engineering(3yrs) - tough study for avg student

-Fear of studies and homesickness,Masturbation and Pornography,Falling into depression(11 yrs)

-Searching for job after passing from tier 3 college and work till now(since 2011) - this was rough really with all those medicines in my system I didnt knew that all those fear was neuro emotions.

-Engagement and breakup(2nd serious relationship break after one year of courtship and engagement)

-Life in a call centre(2.5yrs) - inferiority complex waiting for good to happen , it was until 2016

-Leaving the job and preparing for it after 6 years (begin again from zero for career.)

-Getting my first IT job as a associate software engineer(2+yrs) that was a good after lot of struggle

-Emotional affair with married woman and heartbreak - than this happen  unfortunately and shattered me. my medications keep on increasing.

-Getting fired from my job- I was not able to cope up from all the stress and lost my dear job.feb 2019

-Emotional affairs within girl other caste and fight with parents. parents despite knowing all my conditions doesnt agree , this break me almost.still I bear for parents somehow.

-Second engagement and breakup- they hit me and I lost my will to live , I loved this girl and all family was happy but still it breaks .

-Lost all hope and will to live
in all these days my medications jumps from 10mg to 225mg. 

-Recovering and never give up- after 4 months on bed - I wish death from God but was definate that I will not commit suicide , and God has not called me yet to him.

- I am begining again from Zero.. 

-I am fighting from my family and doctor and doing all this tapering alone , going against a doc is tough. I need few good words only from you guidance.

Hi I am Yogendra from Delhi India. We may connect . I am also currently on Venlaflaxine . I wanna connect and meet to u if possible. Please PM me your contact details of no issue from your side.

1994 --> Age-13 years, Brain Stroke - Left Half of Body paralyzed - recovered within few months with small loss in sensation in left half of body. 1995 to 2004 --> Various medicines ON & OFF i.e. Alprazolam, Fluoxetine, clonazepam, venlaflaxine etc. 2005 mid --> Stopped cold turkey. Devastating anxiety and depression followed. 2005 mid to 2016 --> Escitalopram, Desvenlaflaxine, Clonazepam etc. 2016 to 2018 Jan. --> Desvenlaflaxine ER 100 mg and then on 50 mg. 2018 Feb. to 2018 March --> Desvenlaflaxine ER Film Coated Tab 25 mg for 1 month -- then 12.5 mg for 1 month 2018 April to 2018 July 2018 --> No medicine taken. Daily running and sweating. Sleeping was OK. Mood was good. 2018 August --> Extreme crying spells, impatient. On bed - couldn't go outside - fearful - frightening experience. 2018 September onwards --> Desvenlafaxine ER Film Coated 50 mg daily -- condition stable 17.07.2019 --> Switched from Desvenlaflaxine 50 ER to Venlaflaxine 75 ER (night) and Desvenlaflaxine 25 ER (morning).

11.08.2019 --> Desvenlaflaxine ER 12.5 mg (morning) and Venlaflaxine ER 75 mg (night) 25.08.2019 --> Desvenla. ER 12.5 mg (morning) and Venla. ER 80 mg (night) 08.11.2019 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg in noon and Desvenlaflaxine 12.5 mg night 15.11.2019 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg in noon and Desvenlaflaxine 11.355 mg night

22.04.2020 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg , Desvenlaflaxine 10 mg 14.12.2020 --> Very Very Slowly tapered both; now Venlaflaxine ER 75 mg in Noon & Desvenlaflaxine 8.5 mg

Supplements currently taking  --Aswagantha + Vitamin D + B12

Hello Passion

Just scanned over your recent posts. I'm sorry about your emotional turmoil and WD symptoms and what to do with your medicines.

WD symptoms can be brutal. @Rhiannon is completely right - the psych will want to put you more meds. Psych will call this unmasking or relapse (most likely!).

It is just my personal opinion that if you need relief from WD symptoms and can't function -  you might consider a minor updose. Note that I am just another member in WD. I am through the worst part of my WD (I hope! ;) )and even during that hellish period I was determined that I was going to make it off this poison so didn't increase.

I think I may understand a bit about the cultural challenge for you with work and what to do for work, girlfriend, etc. I have had the good fortune to work with many people from India.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, Passionlifetime said:

cant focus and make decision for career

out of job from 8 months.

Making a decision for career is very hard. Whether you are making a change because previous jobs didn't work out for you - or now going back to work - this in itself is associated with anxiety for many people (and they are not in WD or take ADs).

Have yout hought a bout just making a start at a job where you have skills? Even if it might not be the perfect job or exactly what you are seeking - or money is not whaht you want - it would be a good thing. You could earn money and mix with other people. 

This would not be a permanent job - just something nfor now.

Hang in there.

Guilietta

13 hours ago, Guilietta said:

Guilietta

Thank you so much for caring.

I have doing odd jobs since long and you know it was very unfortunate that this year its about time that I was about to start my dream career and marriage , but as you know in my above post all shattered but I am not shattered fully and I am getting back .my attitude is NEVER GIVE UP.. (I have a printed T shirt also written this only.). I talked to my psychiatrist and he said the same thing as all docs said that Its not possible to live without meds and I need to updose so I updosed to 37.5mg and not get relaxed but now updosed to 150mg and feeling much better.

I was handling WD all the physical symtoms but I get broke when it hit my cognitive impairment . my career would destroy and I will be home locked doing nothing. so I am sure that the approach under the circumstances I took for taper was absolutely wrong. it must be SLOW  and in FAVOURABLE circumstances only. so I reinstated.  I am just giving myself a time for month or two max may be then God wish I will start searching for a job . I know I can achieve what I firmly decide.decsion making is a BIG problem for me now.

From last two days I got throat infection because of Extemely high pollution in Delhi and I think depression hurt our immune system also pretty bad.

Thanks for be in touch, I want soothing words and support now mostly. Thats why I come here on this platform. sometimes I feel that I am exaggerating my pains but other time I feel that some really bad things happened with me so I am not behaving wrongly. 

Thank God I have very careful family and lovely parents specially my mother , she is supporting me beyond anything.

I just need to take a very careful decision for my career because after that I cant turn back as per my age in my country I am already very late.

but Thank to Almighty . they say what ever God is doing is good for us . I am happy ..I am accepting things..

I know I could have achieved so much If it is not because of this illness which has put shackels on my legs.

still

NEVER GIVE UP..............

PL

15 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

Nobody really gets more functional while still taking the drugs as far as I can tell

I am not that much functional as I was on meds. i need min functionality. I know you can understand.

15 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

If you find yourself back to wanting to try to get off meds at some point, DON'T DO A FAST TAPER ON YOUR OWN. Take the advice here and do the 10% taper.

absolutely sure. we need to go extremely slow. I will try once My things get sort out.

Though I will use this forum as a record diary for this and support from people.

I really apologize if I ever offend you.

Thank you so much 

Hello Passion

Just a quick note.

I understand that you will at the right time start the slow taper - 10% (or less if you need) reduction a month. Healing will take time.  In time I will also repair from this and I look forward to functioning better cognitively as well. It has damaged my life - the years on these meds, this WD, and another to taper from.

Still like you say - accepting this - and moving forward is what we need to do. It is often easeir said than done.

Having faith is so helpful to me to move through this. :)

Giuilietta

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Passionlifetime said:

I am not that much functional as I was on meds. i need min functionality. I know you can understand.

absolutely sure. we need to go extremely slow. I will try once My things get sort out.

Though I will use this forum as a record diary for this and support from people.

I really apologize if I ever offend you.

Thank you so much 

I do understand. I'm sorry for your suffering. 

I do think you can get off meds, but I think it's going to require a slow taper over a number of years. It is especially important to go slow at the low doses. That has worked for me, but it has taken a very long time. The good news is that once I got down to lower doses, even though I have not gotten all the way off, my life and my functioning have improved a lot, I am able to have a good life. So there is a lot of hope for you yet. Take care of yourself, we hope you can come back someday and do a safe slow taper.

How are you doing Passionlifetime?  I hope you are feeling better. 

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

10 hours ago, Superwoman said:

How are you doing Passionlifetime?  I hope you are feeling better. 

Hi Superwomen,

I am feeling better.Not fully ok but much better.

shivering inside body still there without any stress or anything.

I visited my doc today and I told him that I have tried my best as per my circumstances and unable to bear anymore.so I reinstated.he said the same thing as all doc said that relapse or its illness.

I dont mind now.after trying my best in current situation.why should I mind.I think God has destined this now.so let it be.I will take meds If need to be.

I will reconsider tapering later once let me settle few things first.

you all are very brave who doing the tapering.we all can understand each other way better than our nearest of peoples.we share something.

Today I am relaxed.

I am starting my life again. I will not allow this illness to stop me from doing anything psychologically. if real physical problem occurs then I cant do anything but I dont allow this to manipulate my mind negatively and let me think that I am inferior from anyone.I will do my best as I always did.

Today I dont have all that I love. my health career and love life. One day I will have this in sha Allah. I know. and if not here then in next life in sha Allah.

take care all , may God bless you and give you more and more strength to fight and win.

I am not giving up, sometime we need to take U turn or improvise and do best as per situation, my situation ask me to stop my taper journey for now.so please all you , dont be disheartened by my this step.I will keep fighting.we all are fighting.

Thanks

PL

Passionlifetime,

I am so happy for you that the updose is helping. Your outlook is much more positive.  Why would anyone be disheartened?  Everyone has been telling you to slow down. I think that is wise to stop and allow your body time to recover.  Are Indian children read the story of the Tortoise and the Hare?  It is common children’s story here. 

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

It was my dream to live meds free life, but it seems I dont have a choice. so I have to accept this. willingly or unwillingly. Today in hospital psych ward I have seen much worse people then me.they are in worse conditions then me. I should not be unthankful that at least I am not them.one good thing is happening as of now. that I am not forcing anything to happen and let life flow.I am loving this state of mind.however the conditon of body. I want to be in this relax.and try everything relaxly.

28 minutes ago, Superwoman said:

Are Indian children read the story of the Tortoise and the Hare?

Yes In India , its very common story and every child know in its primary. but that tortoise is extremely slow(lol)...

by the way . How are you..are you alright.?

I am just enjoying now on video calls talking with strangers on internet from world not thinking anything stressful.Thank God.

I want to change my title "Tried my best"...

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Passionlifetime said:

It's not over, either. Give yourself some time to recover. You have the rest of your life.

Once you're feeling better and stronger, now you know that you need to taper very very slowly, like the tortoise, not the hare.  Next time come here and get advice BEFORE you cut your meds. 

7 hours ago, Passionlifetime said:

You have not failed. You have learned. This is your opportunity to learn techniques to cope with life's difficulties (lots on this site - and most/many of us continuing to learn). As @Rhiannon said - when you are ready to begin a taper - look to SA to taper correctly.

13 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

It's not over, either. Give yourself some time to recover. You have the rest of your life.

Once you're feeling better and stronger, now you know that you need to taper very very slowly, like the tortoise, not the hare.  Next time come here and get advice BEFORE you cut your meds. 

Ok.

10 hours ago, Guilietta said:

You have not failed. You have learned. This is your opportunity to learn techniques to cope with life's difficulties (lots on this site - and most/many of us continuing to learn). As @Rhiannon said - when you are ready to begin a taper - look to SA to taper correctly.

hmm

Dear PL,

Have faith trust and courage. Everything shall be alright. I have also been on sich meds for the last 25 years or so. 

I found this forum very infirmative. 

Currently I am on --

Pristiq 12.5 mg ay noon

Effexor 80 mg at night

1994 --> Age-13 years, Brain Stroke - Left Half of Body paralyzed - recovered within few months with small loss in sensation in left half of body. 1995 to 2004 --> Various medicines ON & OFF i.e. Alprazolam, Fluoxetine, clonazepam, venlaflaxine etc. 2005 mid --> Stopped cold turkey. Devastating anxiety and depression followed. 2005 mid to 2016 --> Escitalopram, Desvenlaflaxine, Clonazepam etc. 2016 to 2018 Jan. --> Desvenlaflaxine ER 100 mg and then on 50 mg. 2018 Feb. to 2018 March --> Desvenlaflaxine ER Film Coated Tab 25 mg for 1 month -- then 12.5 mg for 1 month 2018 April to 2018 July 2018 --> No medicine taken. Daily running and sweating. Sleeping was OK. Mood was good. 2018 August --> Extreme crying spells, impatient. On bed - couldn't go outside - fearful - frightening experience. 2018 September onwards --> Desvenlafaxine ER Film Coated 50 mg daily -- condition stable 17.07.2019 --> Switched from Desvenlaflaxine 50 ER to Venlaflaxine 75 ER (night) and Desvenlaflaxine 25 ER (morning).

11.08.2019 --> Desvenlaflaxine ER 12.5 mg (morning) and Venlaflaxine ER 75 mg (night) 25.08.2019 --> Desvenla. ER 12.5 mg (morning) and Venla. ER 80 mg (night) 08.11.2019 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg in noon and Desvenlaflaxine 12.5 mg night 15.11.2019 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg in noon and Desvenlaflaxine 11.355 mg night

22.04.2020 --> Venlaflaxine ER 80 mg , Desvenlaflaxine 10 mg 14.12.2020 --> Very Very Slowly tapered both; now Venlaflaxine ER 75 mg in Noon & Desvenlaflaxine 8.5 mg

Today is very nice, I woke up early  , was having very less sleep , mostly because I was not tired enough and slept all day yesterday.

had a cold bath at 6am, prayed and went out after 4 days locked up in a room. if feels little nice. 

fatigue is 70% gone. 

not working now, do dont know , real test will be when I start working. 

I have also seen that will power and decision is very imp.

hope.'

Getting back slowly on track.

Thanks all for support.

Hi Passionlifetime,

Wow you’ve been on such a challenging journey.

It takes a huge amount of strength to live through all your difficulties.

It’s so good that you are feeling a bit better. Reinstating is definitely not a failure it’s yet another strength. I know how hard it is to take in all the advice given from the moderators when you are in the thick of withdrawal. Being overwhelmed,  confused and afraid makes it difficult to take in all the information. I really struggled with this in the beginning.

Please believe that Antidepressant Withdrawal is a very new condition for most doctors to understand. The UK guidelines for doctors has only just been changed, to try and help doctors understand this condition. 

You are in the very best place for support.  I know it is very hard to believe but moderators here really do have more experience and understanding than most doctors. Doctors are only just learning about this and most have never heard of it. It is seen as a new medical condition for many. I know of Psychiatrists who use this forum to get information because all the information is in the one place and it saves them a lot of time researching information themselves. 

You will heal and I think you will be able to live drug free one day  but the slower the better for everyone.?

It’s so good that Yogendra whats to meet up with you. I know how important it is to have someone from your own culture understand what you are going through. 

Hope your stabilising goes to plan, remember same dose at the same time every day will help. Stick to the moderators advice. Unfortunately I didn’t because I was so confused and overwhelmed in the beginning and now I am dealing with  some very unpleasant symptoms that could have been alleviated had I reinstated in time. Learn from my mistake. Stabilise  for at least 6 months so that you can get strong enough to taper slowly. 

Best wishes PL

Take  care Katy398 

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

17 hours ago, Katy398 said:

Wow you’ve been on such a challenging journey.

Hi, Have you read all of my post include intro topic?

its kind of a roller coster ride now, half of a day I feel good, half day bad,

emotions and energy changes so much so rapidly that I cant get stable to do anything.

My life and emotions has changed now almost. I dont know its because of relapse,meds or situations.

I am trying to begin again.

for taper I will do later once I ll be settle in few things.

reinstaging helping me but still not reached that level of goodness which I consider bad last year.lol

Hope you are find too.

Hi @Passionlifetime

I did read your post and you’ve obviously gone through a really tough time. Like I say the moderators here have more experience than doctors, hard to believe I know but it really is true. Try to stabilise before making any changes to your meds. 

Take care 

Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

5 hours ago, Katy398 said:

Hi @Passionlifetime

I did read your post and you’ve obviously gone through a really tough time. Like I say the moderators here have more experience than doctors, hard to believe I know but it really is true. Try to stabilise before making any changes to your meds. 

Take care 

Kx

Hi Katy,

One ques. As your signatures reflect you have been on lexpro for around two years. Just wanted to know that why did u not consider tapering during this period. 

And more thing as I am gradually switching over to Effexor ER from Pristique ER I wanted to know from your own experience /knowledge that Is Effexor ER is better that Pristique ER in any way? I am doing switching over as there are no compounding pharmacies here which can compound Pristique here. And to count beads of Effexor ER is much easier in tapering. This is the only reason why I am switching over.

Any inputs shall be appreciated.

Hi Yogendra,

I did not taper properly  because I did a Fast Track taper under the guidance of a psychiatrist which was over 3.5 months. This is so fast it is the equivalent to cold turkey. Reinstating should have be done in the first 3 month,  after that it may not work or may make symptoms worse.  I was too afraid to try. If I could turn back time I would have tapered by 10% each 4 to 6 weeks as recommended by moderators. 

I’m sorry I cannot offer any advice re Effexor and Pristiq I am not qualified to guide you. Maybe ask Altostrata  the moderators here who started this forum. Best wishes with swapping over meds. 

take care Katyx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Hi

I have slept last night and today all day. 

There is a court decision in my country. 

The result hurt me badly that I am down most 30hrs.

My stress tolerance reduced to too much. 

So much bad dreams of past life when I was in college. I becoming so hopeless and sad .

I am not feeling strength and motivation to do things. 

I am having a doubt that I can able to have a normal life and can marry or can do a job. 

Its getting bad now, Feeling flat......wat to do .........this is NOT life.