Beachpea: Amitriptyline tapering

Beachpea

I would like to know if Amitriptyline can be dissolved in water to taper. I am helping my elderly mother who wants to start tapering off Amitriptyline 50mg, primarily because her doctor described this as a high dose that increases her fall risk.  My mother lives with me.  I am familiar with principles of slow safe tapering from my own experience at Cymbalta Hurts Worse.

Can amitriptyline be tapered with the water method?  I asked in my introduction two days ago and have not received a response.  Are there directions anywhere on how to find information on this website?  I honestly find this site very confusing.  I use a computer.  I would appreciate any tips.  Searching for amitriptyline has not divulged any concrete information on tapering off this drug. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The best  way to search this site is to Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org + your search, such as amitriptyine.  Using this search brought me to the following link:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

The following excerpt from that link indicates you can use liquid to taper Amitriptyline.

Using amitryptyline liquid to taper

Amitryptyline is available as a liquid in the UK http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Amitriptyline.htm

The liquid needs refrigeration.

Order a liquid from a compounding pharmacy

Compounding pharmacies can make a liquid from medications that do not have special extended-release coatings or Cymbalta. Your doctor will have to write a prescription specifying how the drug is to be compounded.

Dissolving amitriptyline in water to make a liquid

About basic amitriptyline in tablets: Manzo 2006 Biowaiver Monographs for Immediate Release Solid Oral Dosage Forms: Amitriptyline Hydrochloride http://www.fip.org/files/fip/BPS/BCS/Monographs/Manzo%202006.pdf

Amitriptyline hydrochloride is soluble 1:1 in water.11 The USP and the Ph. Eur. report this API to be ‘‘freely soluble in water’’.

How stable is this solution of amitriptyline in water? See Buckles 2008 The stability of amitriptyline hydrochloride in aqueous solution http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2710.1976.tb00052.x/abstract

The present work, using thin layer chromatography and polarography, reports that solutions of amitriptyline hydrochloride in purified water at room temperature are stable for at least 8 weeks if protected from light.

Theoretically, you should be able to make a solution of amitriptyline in water, and use an oral syringe for precise dosing. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

I haven't personally done this and I don't know of anyone who has, so if you do it, please post your experience in this topic.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello   Beachpea   and welcome to SA.

I apologise for the delay in replying.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry your mum is having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

Please see the link below

tips-for-tapering-off-amitriptyline/

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The link below takes you to a microtaper spreadsheet which creates a gentler week by week tape,r which may be better for your mum.

http://www.taperoff.co/

If you do not find the info you require or need any further help please contact us again, we will be happy to help.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• ChessieCat changed the title to Beachpea: Amitriptyline tapering