Jump to content
Lb11

Lb11 Effexor and Prozac

Recommended Posts

Lb11

Hello, I was started on Effexor 75 mg a year ago for anxiety and OCD. I tried cutting my dose in half 2-3 months ago to 37.5 mg not realizing about withdrawal symptoms. I have never struggled with depression but since changing the dose have been really depressed. 3 weeks ago my doctor added Prozac saying it would help but it doesn’t seem to. I am so frustrated and feel like Effexor has caused me more problems than good. Since I tapered so quickly I don’t know if I should go back up to 75 on Effexor or increase my Prozac or what to do. I feel like my doctors aren’t sure what I should do either as he told me it’s up to me to decide my taper on my own

thanks for your time and help in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Sassenach

Hello     LB   and welcome to SA.

 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

 

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

 

Unfortunately I am very short of time to do a full intro.

You are suffering W/D (withdrawal symptoms) because of your sudden dose cut.

What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

 

Please see the links below to explain what is happening to you:

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

19 hours ago, Lb11 said:

doctor added Prozac

What dose of Prozac did he prescribe?

 

19 hours ago, Lb11 said:

I don’t know if I should go back up to 75 on Effexor

Do not do this under any circumstances.

 

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

 

Again welcome.

 

Sassenach

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11

I am on 10 mg of Prozac 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Welcome, Lb.

 

What effects do you feel from Prozac?

 

Prozac and Effexor is not a recommended drug combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11

 Not really any different. I have just had a lot of mood swings and been depressed ever since decreasing Effexor. And the Prozac hasn’t helped or changed anything really either way 

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
On 10/22/2019 at 1:37 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Lb.

 

What effects do you feel from Prozac?

 

Prozac and Effexor is not a recommended drug combination.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:32 PM, Sassenach said:

Hello     LB   and welcome to SA.

 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

 

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

 

Unfortunately I am very short of time to do a full intro.

You are suffering W/D (withdrawal symptoms) because of your sudden dose cut.

What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

 

Please see the links below to explain what is happening to you:

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

What dose of Prozac did he prescribe?

 

Do not do this under any circumstances.

 

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

 

Again welcome.

 

Sassenach

 

 

 

On 10/21/2019 at 2:32 PM, Sassenach said:

Hello     LB   and welcome to SA.

 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

 

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

 

Unfortunately I am very short of time to do a full intro.

You are suffering W/D (withdrawal symptoms) because of your sudden dose cut.

What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

 

Please see the links below to explain what is happening to you:

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

What dose of Prozac did he prescribe?

 

Do not do this under any circumstances.

 

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

 

Again welcome.

 

Sassenach

 

 

What do you think I should do?  I am on Prozac 10 mg and venlafaxine 37.5?

Share this post


Link to post
Lynnardgirl

Can some one reply Lb11 she is having a hard time !  She has been waiting for a reply 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
Please read @Altostrata

Hello. I have been taking Effexor 75 mg since 9/2018 for anxiety and then in July 2019 went to 37.5 mg and have felt really depressed. Something I have never suffered from before. My doctor added 10 mg of Prozac 3 weeks ago so now I’m currently on 37.5 mg Effexor and 10 mg Prozac with feelings of depression. I don’t know what to do to stop feeling these horrible withdrawals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really need help. Thanks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Lb, can you explain more about your daily symptom pattern?

 

What do you mean by "mood swings"? What times of day do you take your drugs, at what dosages? Are your symptoms better or worse at certain times of day? How's your sleep?

Share this post


Link to post
Lynnardgirl

LB 11 so glad you found this site 

they are very helpful 

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Lb, can you explain more about your daily symptom pattern?

 

What do you mean by "mood swings"? What times of day do you take your drugs, at what dosages? Are your symptoms better or worse at certain times of day? How's your sleep?

 Some times for 3-4 days I feel no depression and then for a day or two at a time I can feel extremely depressed for no reason. I take 10 mg Prozac and 37.5 mg Effexor both in the morning and usually afternoons are worse. But it has made me feel very emotional and depressed and like I said one day I can be fine and the next I will feel very depressed. The only time I have trouble sleeping is if I feel depressed. This all started almost immediately when I cut my Effexor dosage in half. My doctor did not give me any tapering instructions and I didn’t know it was from withdrawls. I do not know how to stop this depression from coming out of no where. 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Typically, withdrawal symptoms come in The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

 

It sounds like that is what you are experiencing. Has the frequency of the bad waves increased or decreased since you added Prozac?

 

Nice of your doctor to tell you you're on your own -- at least he didn't lie to you.

 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Typically, withdrawal symptoms come in The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

 

It sounds like that is what you are experiencing. Has the frequency of the bad waves increased or decreased since you added Prozac?

 

Nice of your doctor to tell you you're on your own -- at least he didn't lie to you.

 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

 

Ok I added my drug and withdrawal history in signerature. I would say it may be slightly less time with the frequency of bad waves but it has seemed like when the bad hits it seems more severe. It has seemed 3-4 days good 2 days bad is my trend currently. There has not been a major change since Prozac has been added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Is this a regular 5-day, 2-day cycle or a rough proportion -- 5/2 good to bad days? Do the bad days occur after any particular trigger, maybe late nights or a glass of wine?

 

5/2 in favor of good days is not too bad withdrawal syndrome-wise.

 

Are you taking the kind of Effexor that comes in a capsule filled with small beads?

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Is this a regular 5-day, 2-day cycle or a rough proportion -- 5/2 good to bad days? Do the bad days occur after any particular trigger, maybe late nights or a glass of wine?

 

5/2 in favor of good days is not too bad withdrawal syndrome-wise.

 

Are you taking the kind of Effexor that comes in a capsule filled with small beads?

Yes I am taking it filled with small beads. And that’s a rough estimate. Some weeks it definitely is more than two days but the past week it was 5/2. Before then I would probably say it was 4/3 and that’s how it usually is. Some bad days I have drank the night before but usually only one to two drinks max. Sometimes they occur after no drinking as well though. For example last Saturday and Sunday were horrible. And I drank both last Friday and Saturday. This week Friday was kind of bad and yesterday was horrible. I drank a little Friday night but did not Thursday night. And yes I am very thankful that it’s only 4/3 for my windows and waves mostly. But it seems when I am feeling depressed. It does seem like my world is truly crashing down and I will never be better again. I get extremely discouraged and emotional. But I almost never just shut down and just get in bed. I still go to work and make myself do things even if I am suffering very badly because I am trying my best to not let these withdrawal symptoms win. But I makes me feel so miserable and emotional unstable which really freaks me out and makes me feel out of control of my own emotions 

Share this post


Link to post
Erell

Hi Lb11

 

I Would very strongly advise you To not drink alcohol at all. I dont judge  you : during my benzo taper, I used To drink with friends, wanting to have a "normal" life. But now I can tell it messed up my mood, and doesn't worth it!

 

Alcohol Will only mess you up while all your brain need is quiet time. You have good days, please don't spoil them.

 

best wishes!

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

I agree with Erell, even a small, very normal amount of alcohol will trigger an upset in a person whose nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal.

 

If you don't drink alcohol -- not even a little bit -- my guess is you'll stabilize from the Effexor reduction without complications. It could be that adding the Prozac was unnecessary.

 

That leaves you on this Effexor-Prozac combination. Here are your choices:

 

- Effexor can be difficult to taper, doctors often substitute Prozac because it's somewhat easier to taper. (But your doctor forgot to get you off Effexor.)

 

- Generally, doctors should never prescribe an SNRI, such as Effexor, with an SSRI, such as Prozac, the combination can be too stimulating. So taking the two drugs together is probably not a good long-term plan. Besides, you're not seeing any benefit from the combination.

 

- You've been taking Prozac for less than a month, your risk of withdrawal from that is theoretically lower. Theoretically, you could gradually go off Prozac over a few weeks, then taper Effexor more slowly using bead-counting Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

 

BUT, you might find backing out of Prozac is not that easy, your nervous system has become accustomed to it.

 

- However, you might want to complete the switch to Prozac to go off Effexor, then taper Prozac. Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine) This means a fast taper off Effexor. Again, you may find this difficult even if you're taking Prozac.

 

I cannot predict the best route for you. What you need to do for now is not drink at all or do anything else that will rock the boat for a week, let your nervous system settle down. Keep daily notes of when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptom pattern in this format Keep daily notes of drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

 

Please let us know how you're doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
51 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I agree with Erell, even a small, very normal amount of alcohol will trigger an upset in a person whose nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal.

 

If you don't drink alcohol -- not even a little bit -- my guess is you'll stabilize from the Effexor reduction without complications. It could be that adding the Prozac was unnecessary.

 

That leaves you on this Effexor-Prozac combination. Here are your choices:

 

- Effexor can be difficult to taper, doctors often substitute Prozac because it's somewhat easier to taper. (But your doctor forgot to get you off Effexor.)

 

- Generally, doctors should never prescribe an SNRI, such as Effexor, with an SSRI, such as Prozac, the combination can be too stimulating. So taking the two drugs together is probably not a good long-term plan. Besides, you're not seeing any benefit from the combination.

 

- You've been taking Prozac for less than a month, your risk of withdrawal from that is theoretically lower. Theoretically, you could gradually go off Prozac over a few weeks, then taper Effexor more slowly using bead-counting Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

 

BUT, you might find backing out of Prozac is not that easy, your nervous system has become accustomed to it.

 

- However, you might want to complete the switch to Prozac to go off Effexor, then taper Prozac. Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine) This means a fast taper off Effexor. Again, you may find this difficult even if you're taking Prozac.

 

I cannot predict the best route for you. What you need to do for now is not drink at all or do anything else that will rock the boat for a week, let your nervous system settle down. Keep daily notes of when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptom pattern in this format Keep daily notes of drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

 

Please let us know how you're doing.

Okay I will stop drinking alcohol for the time being. My two concerns are if I get off Prozac or Effexor at the time being what if I become much worse? And also with the withdrawals what if it is still going to get worse before it gets better. I feel so depressed some days and I don’t know if I’m on the up hill yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

We can't predict the future. As I've outlined above, you've got some choices. You could even stay on the drug combination. It depends what your goals are.

 

As this is a site for going off drugs, we can counsel you in that, but we cannot help you fine-tune a drug cocktail with the intention of staying on it.

 

As long as you're taking these drugs, you can expect a bad reaction when you drink alcohol. If you should go off them, you still may not be able to drink for a long time, while your nervous system recovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Lb11
17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

We can't predict the future. As I've outlined above, you've got some choices. You could even stay on the drug combination. It depends what your goals are.

 

As this is a site for going off drugs, we can counsel you in that, but we cannot help you fine-tune a drug cocktail with the intention of staying on it.

 

As long as you're taking these drugs, you can expect a bad reaction when you drink alcohol. If you should go off them, you still may not be able to drink for a long time, while your nervous system recovers.

Yes I understand. I definitely want to get off the medication. I will try and decide what the plan will be and get back to you. Thank you for your time

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy