Andyroo66: mirtazapine - in a mess

Andyroo66

Hi

backstory - have migraine aura, RLS , anxiety /depression. took Amiriptyline low dose 6 years - did ok on that

Discovered i have Long QT so cardiologist stopped the Ami without a repalcement

Got off Amitriptyline after a long taper- did OK but anxiety/ill- health came back, did a gut detox that went horribly wrong - anxiety and RLS worse

Neurologist gave me Gabapentin for the migraine auara (bad decision!) - awful anxiety, had to take clonazepam to deal with it- stopped cold turkey on low dose 200mg 3 weeks  (very bad decision on my part but hated the experience on it) - terrible anxiety insomnia. 3 weeks on benzos, then MIrtazapine 15mg

Mirtazapine 15mg sent anxiety through roof, aggravates RLS, migraines are bad, too high a dose makes me feel unreal, too low a dose is too strong an antihistamine so very sluggish and watery eyes. Cannot find a level I can cope with but neither can I get off it as when I got to 3.75mg felt awful (everything getting even worse again)  . Doc/psychiatrist/NHS all burying their heads in the sand, I am complaining I wasnt advised about the risks!. Not offering any solutions or alternatives I guess because of my Long QT Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Any dose change I make I feel about 3- 4 weeks later so all the stuff the Psych gave me about half lives is utter bull.

Any ideas anyone?

April 2013 Citalopram 2 weeks 7.5mg aborted due to extreme anxiety/RLS/brain flashes

Sertraline May 2013 - starting dose, aborted after 5 days- intolerable bowel problems

June 2013 Diazeapam 2mg- 4mg per day for 3 weeks or so

July 2013 - Feb 2018 Amitriptyline/Nortriptyline 17.5mg max, started at 5 then 10 then 15 then 17.5mg -

Feb 2019- Gabapentin 300mg 3 weeks plus Clonazepam 1/4 tablet per day- worsened anxiety and depression- stopped

March 2019- 3 weeks Diazepam 2mg

April 2019 - Mirtazapine 15mg, reduced to 3/4 tablet approx 3 months in as continued anxiety derealisation and aggrravated RLS symptoms plus arm pain and akathasia, reduced to 7.5mg 4 months in, 5mg 5 months in, 3.75mg 6 months in. Problems at 3.75mg so stepped back up to 5mg 2 weeks then 7.5mg now.

My case is possibly complicated by my Long QT and migraine aura/RLS as diagnosed by neurologist meaning there is a whole list of medications I should not take because of the Long QT including Amitriptyline

Current regime: 7.5mg Mirt at night, in moring 220ug Selenium methionine, 250mg slow release Vit C, 250ug sublingual Vit B12 if I remember

GOAL: To get off AD meds and control my RLS/anxiety in other ways

QUESTION: at 10% reduction per month and starting at 7.5mg Mirt by my calcs thats over a 2 year withdrawal, is that correct?? And how doe people overcome the striong antihistamine effects at low dosage??

• Altostrata changed the title to Andyroo66 Mirtazapine - in a mess
  • Administrator

Welcome, Andyroo.

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and what dosages?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hiya

please see signature

Currently 7.5mg Mirt at night, nothing else to spek of.

These meds have been helpful in some ways but have messed me up in many others especially anxiety. Looking for a taper plan and to be off meds in a few years as cant tolerate any more problems.

April 2013 Citalopram 2 weeks 7.5mg aborted due to extreme anxiety/RLS/brain flashes

Sertraline May 2013 - starting dose, aborted after 5 days- intolerable bowel problems

July 2013 - Feb 2018 Amitriptyline/Nortriptyline 17.5mg max, started at 5 then 10 then 15 then 17.5mg -

Feb 2019- Gabapentin 300mg 3 weeks plus Clonazepam 1/4 tablet per day- worsened anxiety and depression- stopped

April 2019 - Mirtazapine 15mg, reduced to 3/4 tablet approx 3 months in as continued anxiety derealisation and aggrravated RLS symptoms plus arm pain and akathasia, reduced to 7.5mg 4 months in, 5mg 5 months in, 3.75mg 6 months in. Problems at 3.75mg so stepped back up to 5mg 2 weeks then 7.5mg now.

My case is possibly complicated by my Long QT and migraine aura/RLS as diagnosed by neurologist meaning there is a whole list of medications I should not take because of the Long QT including Amitriptyline

Current regime: 7.5mg Mirt at night, in moring 220ug Selenium methionine, 250mg slow release Vit C, 250ug sublingual Vit B12 if I remember

QUESTION: at 10% reduction per month and starting at 7.5mg Mirt by my calcs thats over a 2 year withdrawal, is that correct?? And how doe people overcome the striong antihistamine effects at low dosage??

• 4 weeks later...

Hi can anyone help?

I really hate Mirtazapine and want to get off it, tried recently and failed.

Today it makes me so angry and bitter, ive been through a lot this year but I'm sure this medication makes the anger and bitterness worse.

I'm on 7.5mg, couldnt tolerate the anxiety of the 15mg dose (anxiety through the roof!) , I reckon I have issues with over methylation as I have the MTHFR gene rs1801133 (one copy of MTHFR C677T)

On lower doses I was starting to have issues with sweating, watery eyes, just feeling rough. I feel trapped as my psych wont consider any changes to my meds (I asked about tapering and her reply was "I dont deal in homeopathy"- not much use that) as I have Long QT and a very bad track history of not tolerating AD medications with worsening of anxiety and RLS symptoms, due to over-stimulation I think (back to the methylation theory).

I see I could taper at 10% a month - how? make a dispersion? I'm not sure the dispersion is stable and the active compound does not degarde in water (I used the orodispersible tablets and they smelt very sweet in water) and that will take 2 years by my reckoning! There must be a point at which the dose is insignificant.

Thanks, hope to hear soon.

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, Andyroo66 said:

I see I could taper at 10% a month - how? make a dispersion? I'm not sure the dispersion is stable and the active compound does not degarde in water (I used the orodispersible tablets and they smelt very sweet in water) and that will take 2 years by my reckoning! There must be a point at which the dose is insignificant.

Andyroo66,

As you have seen, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Mirtazapine, including how to obtain the nonstandard smaller doses you'll need for tapering.

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Yes, it takes a long time to taper safely.  I am coming up on three years of tapering 20mg Lexapro and figure I have another year to go.  It's hard to wrap your mind around how long it takes, but that's the reality.  Regarding insignificant doses, it's at the lower doses that it's especially important to taper slowly.  These drugs are very strong.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

thanks Gridley, I know these points but I cant see how to tolerate 2 years of how I felt on the lower dose (5mg was bad) - especially the strong anti histamine effects like the watery eyes and bad headaches/migraines I get , also no motivation and the sedative effect

I'm not sure making a solution with the orodispersible tablets is a good science. It degrades and If I chuck the solution away each time I take a fresh dose that will be an awful lot of tablets, my GP won't sanction it I think.

My brain is already sensitised from a bad experience with Gabapentin and previous bad experience with Citalopram so for sure I need to be cautious

Can I use supplements to help with the withdrawal?

I tend to think I'm just getting my brain even more conditioned to the drug if I stay on it for 2 more years! Given I've only been on it since April.

I actually think at the moment I'm stuck on it until I somehow improve my other health issues, hence the question about supplementation!!. Best supplements for me were Nutri Adreno Max or Adrenal Extra, much better than AD's, all my problems got worse with AD's.

I cant just taper off unless I give my nervous system some kind of support (I have other issues with migraine aura /RLS)

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Andyroo66 said:

Can I use supplements to help with the withdrawal?

I tend to think I'm just getting my brain even more conditioned to the drug if I stay on it for 2 more years! Given I've only been on it since April.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.  Regarding other supplements, you'll have to make your own decision.

14 minutes ago, Andyroo66 said:

I'm not sure making a solution with the orodispersible tablets is a good science

As the link I sent about tapering Mirt indicates, you can also weigh portions of tablets using an AWS Gemini-20 scale, available on Amazon.

9 minutes ago, Andyroo66 said:

Unfortunately, after only a month on these drugs you are subject to withdrawal.  The slow taper is our recommendation to minimize withdrawal.

Again, it has to be your decision regarding whether and when to taper and the rate at which you taper.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Andyroo66: Mirtazapine - in a mess
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks- I now have a new scenario, I saw a Neurologist recently and she diagnosed FND- have had problems for 20 years, suggested I try Duloxetine 30mg

So can I cross taper from 7.5mg Mirtazapine to 30mg Duloxetine? As I understand it they both work on different receptors in the brain.

Once on Duloxetine is that a 10% taper plan, how easy would that be in comparison to Mirtazapine, Im thinking pill sizes/cutting up etc

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Update: Diagnosed with FND,  But- I'm not considering Duloxetine as way way too risky!! I am extremely sensitive to these drugs. Just worked out my long term 10% taper plan for Mirtazapine, If I go cautious and do 10% every 2 months that takes me 5 years. At the low dosages like a few milligrams or so anyone have any experience of at which point it becomes insignificant, so if I'm at 0.5mg do i keep going until ever decreasing dosages.

Im week 3 into my first 10% taper and feeling it a little - headache, buzzing legs, but my brain feels like its opening out again as I always got the feeling on Mirt it somehow shuts your brain down, I'm a chemist and with those three Nitrogens I reckon it's way too substantive for my brain, I read somewhere it works on 39 receptors in the brain or something

With me it seems to take 3 weeks until I feel any kind of change in dosage, cant go back up due to the anger problems it gives me, terrible drug!!

Or I may cross taper onto Noritriptyline, but as I have Long QT that comes with its own risks.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Andyroo66 said:

At the low dosages like a few milligrams or so anyone have any experience of at which point it becomes insignificant, so if I'm at 0.5mg do i keep going until ever decreasing dosages.

I'm at 0.8mg Lexapro and intend to go a good bit lower.  0.5mg seems too high to me to jump off.  It would be good to get down to 0.1mg or, if possible, even lower.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 year later...

Mirtazapine 4.5mg STUCK - I need a medication bridge?

Hello

Not been here for a while

Well I'm still trying to reduce Mirtazapine

I seem to be stuck at 4.5mg for the last 18 months or so, its so frustrating

I'm finding to go up a fraction is a problem - headaches and anxiety and to go down  a fraction ( to 4.4mg!) a major problem - hostility anger and suicide ideation

But i have so many neurological problems now on this Mirt- and it's given me a cataract in my right eye!

I tried LDN and it seems to compete with the Mirtazapine and sent me into withdrawals

I have LQTS which means a lot of other drugs are no no's - it's part of the reason I ended up on Mirtazapine , I was OK on Amitriptyline but idiot Cardiologist told me to stop it and now they are backtracking and saying it was only "advice" FFS

So if im ever to get off Mirtazapine I need to use another agent - it's either Duloxetine or Lamotrigine at a very very low dose

Any ideas?

thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic / spacing

@Andyroo66

How are you measuring your doses? Are you using a scale?

We are just trying to figure out how to help you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Andyroo66 said:

I tried LDN and it seems to compete with the Mirtazapine and sent me into withdrawals

What dates were you on LDN? What was the dose?

Are you taking any other drugs besides mirtazapine?

• 9 months later...

I'm stuck on low dose Mirtazapine 3.7mg and have had the most awful symptoms getting this far from 4.5mg.

Now I'm getting horrendous tinnitus and sinus problems 

I read this drug is very ototoxic.

So I need to be off it soon to minimise the ear and nervous system damage.

I have congenital Long QT syndrome which rules out a whole host of other drugs apart from Duloxetine or Lamitrogine.

Which is least ototoxic? The latter I think.

I'm very temuted to find a sympathetic psychiatrist to prescribe a very low dose of Lamitrogine 1.5mg to keep me stabilised so I can taper off the Mirt.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I'm stuck on low dose Mirtazapine 3.7mg and have had the most awful symptoms getting this far from 4.5mg.

Now I'm getting horrendous tinnitus and sinus problems 

I read this drug is very ototoxic.

So I need to be off it soon to minimise the ear and nervous system damage.

I have congenital Long QT syndrome which rules out a whole host of other drugs apart from Duloxetine or Lamitrogine.

Which is least ototoxic? The latter I think.

I'm very temuted to find a sympathetic psychiatrist to prescribe a very low dose of Lamitrogine 1.5mg to keep me stabilised so I can taper off the Mirt.

Tapering us harming me

Hi

I'very been trying to rdeuce Mirtazapine pretty much since I started it in April 2019.

I had such horrendous start up effects that I never want to go through that again,  but it did save my life as I had stupidly CT'd Gabapentin after 3 weeks of 200mg.

Once things go wrong with these drugs it's hard to fight your way out again.

The point of my post is should have bothered tapering at all. I'm on 3.7mg Mirtazapine and honestly think I was doing better on higher dose in 2020.

At the moment I have developed dreadful tinitus since being on low dose for a couple of years 

How safe is it to go back up? I think I may have become hypersensitive to the drug.

I feel somewhat snookered to ssy the least

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro/added spacing

Mirtazapine - OK to go back up to 4.5mg?

I started to taper from 4.5mg roughly April this year , now at 3.7mg and having awful physical issues, mental health isnt too bad.

My CNS just wont take the cut

As it's been 6 months or so is it safe to go back up now to 4.5mg?

I am currently of the opinion that my CNS wont take withdrawal without use of another agent (given in 2 years I have made 0 progress) and Im pretty physically sick at this low dose with its huge anti histamine effect

Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro/added spacing

• Moderator Emeritus

I will ask the other staff for their assistance.

Please list the drugs/supplements you are currently taking with the time that you take them as well as answering these questions:

Q1:  How is your sleep?

Q2:  Are you drinking any alcohol?

Q3:  Have you been sick and/or had antibiotics?

Q4:  Have you had/current have any major life stressors?

Q5:  Please describe your current symptoms?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Sleep good

No alcohol

No antibiotics

Trauma recently as lost job due to health issues

Supplemens

Vit C D. Selenium. Mag citrate. Acidophilus.Zinc.

Sometimes 1g glycine or taurine or L theanine

• ChessieCat changed the title to Andyroo66: mirtazapine - in a mess
  • Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, Andyroo66 said:

Trauma recently as lost job

That is a major stressor.

• Administrator

Hello, @Andyroo66 When was the last time you reduced mirtazapine?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

recent history

4.5mg fairly stable 12 months or so but started to develop bad tinnitus Feb 22 so beginning to think my CNS was struggling with continual use of low dose Mirtazapine

10 March 22 - 3.75mg (yes I know it was a big jump but previously hadn't tolerated a cut to 4mg - bad move in hindsight) - felt much much better after 1 month

21 April 22 - 3.5mg (began to struggle)

25 April 22- 3.75 mg

6 May 22 - 3.5mg

6 June 22 - 3.8mg 

20 Aug 22 - 3.6mg 

30 Aug 22 - 3.7mg (flu like symptoms and fatigue early September)

15 Oct - 3.6mg (instantly struggled with neurological symptoms)

20 Oct -3.7mg - Im starting to stabilise

I see now that in September 22 I suffered protracted withdrawals due to the cut from 4.5mg to 3.75mg in March, I know this as i had the same problem (6 month delayed withdrawals) when I stopped Amitriptyline

i have a compound problem in so much as i have long qt syndrome (heart arythmia) , my qt interval is running high, i think due to the huge anti histamine effects of low dose mirtazapine, im discussing with cardiology next week, they may advise i stop mirtazapine altogether which is a huge huge issue, only option i have is low dose lamictal (1.5mg) as i believe i only tolerate the drugs that block sodium channels

(extreme reactions to SSRI's, could barely tolerate Mirtazapine at maintenance dose, tolerated Amitriptyline very well)

HTH

Edited by ChessieCat
changed from capitals

On 10/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, Andyroo66 said:

Sleep good

No alcohol

No antibiotics

Trauma recently as lost job due to health issues

Supplemens

Vit C D. Selenium. Mag citrate. Acidophilus.Zinc.

Sometimes 1g glycine or taurine or L theanine

Does zinc help u Andryoo ? It gave some slight windows but it caused setback in other symptoms is that the case for u 

Also other vitamins are they useful 

Thanks 

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

I take zinc.

Have recently found glycine helpful. 

Thank You

On 10/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, Andyroo66 said:

I take zinc.

Have recently found glycine helpful. 

Thank You

Thanks a lot .. glycine is helping u in which symptoms plz ?

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

glycine seems to help feel calm and relaxed, reduced tiinnitus, has slightly worsened the sleep though, but its early days