SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopingForRelief

HopingForRelief

Hi there,

I am new to this site after trying to find an explanation for the symptoms I was/am experiencing after a CT from Paxil at 30mg. I want to thank all of the frequent posters in these forums as many of the success stories and positive encouragement have helped me through this horrific experience so far. My story (I apologize if it is long):

I started taking Lexapro (10mg) in 2012 (when i was around 18 years old) for continuing panic attacks and debilitating anxiety/OCD. I needed the medication to function at that point and within a few months I was back to myself and living a happy life. Throughout my entire time on Lexapro, while still having some presence of anxiety, I was definitely "normal" and living a happy life that I currently wish I could go back to.

Around Nov 2018 I was switched from Lexapro to Paxil at what I now know was a way too fast change and heavy dosage amount (I just stopped taking the lexapro one day and started on Paxil 30mg the next day). The Paxil worked for my anxiety, but it also caused these weird body jerks as I would attempt to go to sleep that scared the crap out of me. Also worth noting: I take my AD before bed, and I would experience a weird sort of brain zap and "cold brain" whenever I exercised the next day, but this would go away when I would take my next pill. Obviously these symptoms really scared me (mainly the body jerks at night), so I foolishly stopped the Paxil CT in May 2019 and said enough was enough.

The next few weeks I experienced mainly brain zaps and flu-like symptoms, but nothing unbearable and I had an idea that was to be expected. These went away and for the next three months, aside from heavy dreaming at night, I was totally fine. Then, in September, I got hit like a truck with crazy unexplainable symptoms. These symptoms are: waves of panic that feel different from my original anxiety/panic, OCD about symptoms and thoughts, feeling disconnected from the world around me, phantom smells (it is always the same burning smell), insomnia, vivid and whacky dreams, horrible ringing in my ears and head (almost feels like an electric current), weird burning/shivering of my brain, and more. These were so debilitating to me I left my job and am currently unable to function. They have now relentlessly continued for over a month, and I am not experiencing any "windows" where I feel better. Maybe I will get relief for minutes/to hours of one day over the course of a week. I have tried reinstating (per my doc) a different AD, Luvox, at a low dosage of 25mg and have been taking this for 3 weeks, but I have not noticed a difference one way or the other in my symptoms.

What can I do next to help me? I was not experiencing any terrible W/D symptoms for 3 months so by then it was apparently too late for reinstatement to work. Now I also feel like I am "stuck" on the Luvox that is not helping as I have taken it long enough for my body to get accustomed to it. I am not functioning and am taking a huge toll on my mother who is taking care of me currently. We cannot continue financially at this rate with me no longer taking in an income, but I literally cannot work in this capacity. She also believes that I need to take a higher dosage of AD to help myself, so she will not continue supporting me unless I do so. I understand her stance as she doesn't want to see me in this state and doctors tell her that is the "cure"  to all of this. I am at a loss on what to do. Would there be any hope if I tried reinstating Paxil? Am I stuck like this forever? I cannot continue ruining my life and living in my house like this. Please, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2012-Nov 2018- Lexapro- varying dosages between 5-10mg

Nov 2018- May 2019- Paxil - 30mg

May 2019- CT'ed off of Paxil 30mg.

September 2019- Tried to reinstate Luvox at 25mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello     Hoping   and welcome to SA.

Apolgies for the delay.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

You are experiencing W/D (withdrawal symptoms) from your C/T of Paxil.

Please read the links below which will explain what is happening to you.

windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Unfortunately because of the length of time that has passed it seems likely that reinstatement is not working.

I will ask one of our senior mods for their opinion.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• Administrator

Welcome, Hoping.

Since you started the Luvox, have you experienced any change in your symptom pattern? Why did you choose Luvox?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you both for the responses. 

Since I started the Luvox 25 mg, I haven't really noticed much of a change (good or bad) in the withdrawal symptoms. They are still very intense. The Luvox was chosen because i've always exhibited a ton of OCD like hypochondria and the Paxil gave me such bad side effects. My brother, who also takes an AD, seemingly tolerates Luvox well and it has helped him.

I am at a loss on what to do next. I want to maintain the same dosage as to not destabilize my CNS further, but I am wondering if an increase would help me through this. I need to find a job and work as I do not have the financial means to go unemployed for a long period of time. At the same time, I find it impossible to work through these symptoms. 

• Administrator

I have no idea. Luvox is not a commonly prescribed SSRI. Generally, doctors substitute fluoxetine (Prozac) or maybe citalopram (Celexa) for Paxil.

As near as I can tell, you had Lexapro withdrawal syndrome or an adverse reaction to Paxil after you were switched to Paxil. Your nervous system was made even more vulnerable by the Paxil cold turkey in May. Something happened in September that shook it up. Nervous system destabilization is what you're dealing with now.

There's a danger that if you take too much Luvox, it can cause kindling or a ramp up in your symptoms.

You're still having brain zaps? A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Is there any hope that a larger reinstatement of Luvox would still benefit me? If so, it is a risk I have to take. Something needs to change. I am in constant distress with what feels like a electric current in my head. Every time I go to "sleep", I can maybe sleep for two hours at a time, and experience vivid life-like dreams that feels like they go on hours and hours. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Luvox isn't a reinstatement for you - it's a new drug.

And as Alto posted, it's not one that's commonly used, especially not for Paxil withdrawal. 

On 10/26/2019 at 5:29 PM, Altostrata said:

Luvox is not a commonly prescribed SSRI. Generally, doctors substitute fluoxetine (Prozac) or maybe citalopram (Celexa) for Paxil.

It's been 6 months since you've been off Paxil, so it's riskier than if you'd only been off it for a month or two, especially since you've started another drug. Please note you've only been on Luvox for about a month, you may or may not be dependent on it. It takes about a month for dependency to set in. 

So you may be able to reduce it. You could try a 25% reduction and see how you feel. We generally recommend only reducing by 10%, but since you haven't been on it that long, you may be able to do a rapid reduction.

I'm going to post some links for you to read over.

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please post your thoughts. 

• Administrator

How are you feeling now, @HopingForRelief?