Notquitehopeless: off Cymbalta since November 2016

Notquitehopeless

I was on Cymbalta 60mg for 7 years and decided to taper off in April of 2016. I tapered for 5 months and dealt with horrible WD symptoms that whole time and for about 3 months after completely stopping. 
I felt alright for about a year, basically symptom free and then I got hit with a wave that lasted roughly 3 weeks of debilitating symptoms in November of 2017 (nausea, extreme fatigue, Muscle aches, anxiety, depression, vision problems, dizziness, headaches, disassociation/depersonalization). 
After that I was back to normal for about ten months (September/October 2018) and then it happened again, same symptoms roughly same length in time. 
8 months later (May/June 2019) it happened again, same symptoms but this time it lasted almost two months. After that, I was fine for about two months until it resurfaced again. I am currently in the midst of a hellish wave. 
Is it common for waves to hit this long after WD? Also, is it common they have become more frequent?

Cymbalta 60mg for 7 years

Started to taper in 2016

4-5 month taper 

WD symptoms during taper and for 3 months after

Symptom free until fall 2017 then hit a wave that lasted 3 weeks

Symptom free until fall of 2018 then another wave

Now the WD symptoms seems to be back almost every month 

• Altostrata changed the title to Notquitehopeless off Cymbalta since November 2016
  • Administrator

Welcome, Notquite.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic, where you can post questions about your situation and report your progress.

It sounds like you had acute withdrawal symptoms for about 3 months after you went off Cymbalta. How was your sleep after that?

It seems you have an unusual pattern of post-acute withdrawal syndrome. Are there any factors that seem to trigger these bad patches? Change of season, antibiotic treatment, drinking alcohol?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ever since I’ve come off of my AD I sleep okay but rarely feel refreshed. 
Seasonal change could be a trigger for me. I haven’t had any antibiotics in years and I don’t drink. 
In the past year I have had about 9 doctors appointments resulting in a litany of tests all to come back negative ruling out any other conditions. According to my primary care doctor I am of good health. 

Started to taper in 2016

4-5 month taper 

• Administrator

It may be that your nervous system is still quite sensitive and intense stimuli or physical effort might trigger these waves. Can you think of any trigger for your recent wave?

For example, we are seeing a course of antibiotics have triggered waves in people who seemed to be recovered from withdrawal syndrome.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Notquite

Welcome to SA. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having post WD symptoms and had a lot of MD appointments this year. I am in post acute WD from Cymbalta - just stopping in to say hello.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Notquitehopeless,

How are you doing?  Are you still getting the monthly wave pattern?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

20 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Notquitehopeless,

How are you doing?  Are you still getting the monthly wave pattern?

I’m just emerging from a pretty rough wave that lasted a little over 6 weeks. Before that I had been fine for 3 maybe 4 months. I’m hoping this window lasts longer than just a couple of months. 

Started to taper in 2016

4-5 month taper 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear.  I'm hoping I've seen the last of them.  The tidal waves.....B)

And what I've found is that the intensity, although intense at times, IS less. 

I often think it's now, for me, more of a stress reaction, and getting back to life after so many years of being a "patient".  It takes patience.  I mean it's been years now, since I've set foot in any shrinks office, so that's good.  The whole deal though kind of stunk.......I wish someone had told me more, and offered me alternatives from the get go.

Life is good though.  Now.

Are you using any Omega 3's or Magnesium?  I think both have helped me.  I'll leave you the links:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I'm just finishing some Amoxicillin too, that I needed to take for some dental, root canal!!  Ugh.  I don't think it will throw me.  It does really help to be aware now, and be cautious with what I put in my body.

It will.  Last.  Your window!

What are your Waves like?  Are they more physical or emotional?  Or both?

Any relation to menses?

Oh best Notquitehopeless,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

37 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Good to hear.  I'm hoping I've seen the last of them.  The tidal waves.....B)

And what I've found is that the intensity, although intense at times, IS less. 

I often think it's now, for me, more of a stress reaction, and getting back to life after so many years of being a "patient".  It takes patience.  I mean it's been years now, since I've set foot in any shrinks office, so that's good.  The whole deal though kind of stunk.......I wish someone had told me more, and offered me alternatives from the get go.

Life is good though.  Now.

Are you using any Omega 3's or Magnesium?  I think both have helped me.  I'll leave you the links:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

I'm just finishing some Amoxicillin too, that I needed to take for some dental, root canal!!  Ugh.  I don't think it will throw me.  It does really help to be aware now, and be cautious with what I put in my body.

It will.  Last.  Your window!

What are your Waves like?  Are they more physical or emotional?  Or both?

Any relation to menses?

Oh best Notquitehopeless,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

The only supplements I take at the moment are a men’s one a day. I was taking COq10 and it seemed to be helping my energy levels but it kept making my blood sugar spike so I’ve stopped taking it.

My symptoms during a wave always seem to be physical. Extreme fatigue, nausea, headaches, dizziness, lethargy, muscle soreness/weakness in my legs and they differ from day to day. The only constant symptom I experience during a wave is fatigue, the other symptoms come and go. 

My waves haven’t been as severe as before but they seem to last longer now as opposed to a year or two ago. Before I would get a wave and be basically bedridden for a week and then another week of just feeling crappy but fighting through it, then it would be over. 

Lately they haven’t been as intense but can  last up to 5-6 weeks at a time. I can’t still work, but I wish I didn’t have to. 

I’ll pick up some Omega 3 and see if that helps. Hope all is well.

Started to taper in 2016

4-5 month taper 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Notquitehopeless: off Cymbalta since November 2016