JohnnyBlack: New member re: Help with Effexor taper

JohnnyBlack

Hi there,

I am currently wanting to taper off Effexor 150mg.

I was put on this dose involuntarily due to being sectioned in a Psych Ward for major depression due to chronic back  pain and sciatica and environmental factors [stress,unresolved issues etc]

I'm now seeing a Psychologist and have lots of family support to work through these problems.

I was also put on Lyrica which I have since discontinued as it was causing me no relief and the side effects were intolerable.

I am also currently on 10mg OxyContin and 2 x 5 mg Diazepam [which I have been taking long term for anxiety and pain management]

I have consulted with my GP re: Slow taper off the Diazepam and am on the waiting list for the Pain Clinic.

I have only been on Effexor 150mg for 5 weeks but already find the side effects debilitating..[ dizziness,night sweats,nausea,confusion and lethargy ]

I realize i am on a cocktail of Meds but want to kick the Effexor first as I've only been taking it a relatively short time and am finding the side effects so negative they outweigh the benefit.

I'm on the Sandoz brand and when I open the capsule there's 12 x beads ... Calculated out that equates to 12.5mg per bead.

I'm after some help or direction to do a slow taper as I have read some horror stories and want to try to minimize any mental distress.

Many thanks in advance

Ray

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello  Johnny and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I apolgise for the delay in replying.

First it is good to see you have the support you need to help you through this.

When did you stop  Lyrica and what dose were you taking?

Have you experienced any symptoms after discontinuing?

We do not recommend tapering more than one drug simultaneously.

12.5 mgs per bead would be ok for the start of your taper.

Please see

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

On 10/26/2019 at 11:58 PM, JohnnyBlack said:

Effexor 150mg

Is Effexor immediate release or extended?

on Effexor 150mg for 5 weeks but already find the side effects debilitating..

We need to establish whether these are side effects or withdrawal from Lyrica.

I'm after some help or direction to do a slow taper as I have read some horror stories and want to try to minimize any mental distress

We can help you with this once we have the answers to the questions I have asked.

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hello Sassenach and thank you for your reply and acceptance to the Forum.

To answer your questions.

* Is Effexor immediate release or extended?:   It’s the Time release or XR

* When did you stop  Lyrica and what dose were you taking?
* Have you experienced any symptoms after discontinuing?

I was on Lyrica for 2 weeks at : 25mg x twice daily which I stopped 15 days ago and it was hard to tell if I had any withdrawal because of the Effexor.
However i did notice the blurred vision and brain fog lessened after approx a week from discontinuing the Lyrica.

* I am currently down to 9 beads : 112.5mg Effexor which after reading the guidelines was probably too fast a taper.

I haven’t had any brain zaps but anxiety has ramped up [even with the diazepam]
My main symptoms currently are anxiety, fast heart rate, dizziness, fatigue, nausea , night sweats and  generally feeling drugged out [in an unpleasant way] , poor cognition.

I don’t feel any better or worse for this so I guess I should now start to taper at the recommended 2 week intervals?

Thanks again

Ray

• Altostrata changed the title to JohnnyBlack New member re: Help with Effexor taper
  • Administrator

Welcome, JB.

When do you take diazepam? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

This will help us determine if you have withdrawal symptoms or adverse drug effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Johni

Alto is the boss and founder of this site also a leading expert in the field of withdrawal.

It is important to determine whether you have withdrawal symptoms or adverse drug effects because it affects the advice she will give.

Please enter it as below.

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety 5
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache 3
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy 6
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

It will take several days of notes to enable analysis.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• ChessieCat changed the title to JohnnyBlack: New member re: Help with Effexor taper